Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    50 years I’ve waited to go to Stoke, what a let down!
  • Options
    ESI have not done much to help us TBH. Needed a CB in Jan plus another forward. 
  • Options
    was obvious before the 'January window' closed (or even opened) that we needed a centre back .. instead we got 3 midfielders .. we are now 4 points above the relegation spots and we have Forest in midweek and (like us when we were right in form) they have just beaten Leeds .. the consolation is, Stoke have an expensively assembled side and have been in cracking form recently, just like Forest .. 
  • Options
    Should have gone 5-3-2
  • Options
    I think most of this has already been said, but there were too many players in the starting 11 who seemed  uncomfortable playing on the deck today. Pratley and Davis looked combative, but the ball invariably then got played long by whoever picked it up, which didn't trouble the Stoke back line much at all.

The Charlton goal came from a cracking footballing move. And a second one towards the end nearly came from another intricate bit of work from Oztumer, with Taylor narrowly putting it wide. 

Of that starting 11, id say only Cullen, Williams, Green and maybe Taylor are truly comfortable knocking it around on the deck. The rest were/ are at times like a rabbit in front of headlights, allowing mediocre teams like Stoke to look good. 

Maybe that's a bit harsh and Bowyer sees different from them in training, but for me the game was lost today by a lack of bravery from some to play some pass and move football. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Is it just me or does Bows blame the players and opposition changing shape to match ours a bit too regularly of late.

he certainly doesn't seem to accept blame... Ever.
  • Options
    That was total horse shit. 

• Options
    was obvious before the 'January window' closed (or even opened) that we needed a centre back .. instead we got 3 midfielders .. we are now 4 points above the relegation spots and we have Forest in midweek and (like us when we were right in form) they have just beaten Leeds .. the consolation is, Stoke have an expensively assembled side and have been in cracking form recently, just like Forest .. 
    Centre-back would have been lovely, but you can also help your defence by having a side that keeps the ball for a bit and the pressure off the back four.

They are constantly up against it. 

5-3-2 is a good way to protect them a bit especially on tough away days. Also means you get Sarr's distribution, which is desperately needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never mind mate, keep up the optimism.  We're not going to lose to Forest.
  • Options
    Last home game of the season.......Wigan.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Absolute dog shit not even a five minute spell of pressure like all teams get in games. Pathetic performance 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:7
    ESI have not done much to help us TBH. Needed a CB in Jan plus another forward. 
    The agent could not find one.
  • Options

I sincerely hope so .. even a point will do
  • Options
    Not our best performance then?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Watching the replays 100% Matthews at fault for the first. He’s marking Maclean. As the ball comes in Maclean runs towards the near post while Matthews plants his feet and watch the ball fly over his head, jaw flapping like it’s a fly past from red arrows or something. Ball comes back across and Matthews is. nowhere near Maclean who had a tap in. 
    If Lyle had done his defensive duties and marked Powell properly from the free kick it would never have got to Maclean. 
    Alright, 75% Matthews fault then. Lyle loses out but is at least running with his man and attempting to challenge for the ball. Matthews is just day dreaming, I’d be more forgiving if he’s close to Maclean but loses out.

He’s doing similar later on when he fails to push out and hold the line, possibly playing Ince onside for their second. Heavily culpable in two goals against today.  
  • Options
    I want to see 3 cbs on Tuesday with Pratley the middle one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    We needed to do more in the transfer window. Maybe ESI didn’t have the money to force it but fact is we had a month to basically try and buy our way out of trouble as the squad we have is gonna be close to the wire.

As I say if they didn’t have the money they didn’t have the money - but I wanted to see us get a massive injection of quality and we didn’t do enough 
  • Options
    Deji is the spare CB but of course he’s injured at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Why wasnt Naby playing?
  • Options
    He wasn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    50 years I’ve waited to go to Stoke, what a let down!

I went to Stoke boxing day 1979 when we were riding high in the old division 2 and we got hammered 4-1 and went downhill after. That had a lasting effect on me to the point I did not do the Valley Pass live stream today because I was fearing the worse. 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    After watching us at Preston I felt very negative and convinced we were going down. Beating Barnsley kicked me into life again but today was absolutely awful. Firstly, Bowyer got the tactics wrong today - the pitch felt like it shrunk every time we got the ball. Secondly, where was the commitment - why didn't we win or compete for second balls. Lastly, Cullen is the only midfielder who tries to play football on the deck and shows for the ball when the defence have it. I'm sick of us lumping it long but what do we expect if the midfield all go into hiding and don't move!! So frustrating, there's no options when we have the ball because of the lack of movement.

I'm looking forward to Forrest because I don't think we can possibly play any worst.

Edit: Williams also tries to play football but we were so bad at passing from the back he barely touched the ball. 
  • Options
    Just got in. Was a really poor performance today, but credit to Stoke they were better than us in every department. 

Only positive is another game out the way and the gap remains 4pts
  • Options
    Our goal was an anomaly.  Really poor.  Can't blame injuries. No quality.  Didn't even try to play football.  

Why are our defenders standing on  our 18 yard line when we are two down in the 89th minute ?

How many of our starting 11 would make the Stoke team ?

Worrying .

Can’t help but agree! We struggled to get out of our own half today! Even when losing!
  • Options

I sincerely hope so .. even a point will do
    Stay up this season, another big struggle next season.