Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    We wont win too many games having just 4 shots at goal with only 2 being on target. 
    Off the cuff I thought I'd check one of the other team that is around us & played away today.

Middlesborough. Away to Brentford. A stronger team than Stoke you would think.

Boro had 10 shots at goal with 5 on target. Until we can match stats like these we will continue to struggle.

• Options
    Is Field actually fit? Bit of a snub to bring in Davis straight away when Field has been on the bench in recent weeks
    Davis has been playing weekly for Birmingham

Field hasnt played since October

For what its worth I think we'll see Field start in place of Pratley on Tuesday
    David has been a sub during the last few weeks, that's why they loaned him out as he hasn't played many minutes 
  • Options
    Saw a stat that thats our first loss this season when Lyle has played a full 90 minutes. Surprised by that.
  • Options
    Some interesting facts and thoughts on the large police presence today from the home fans perspective -
    http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/293630/police-presence
    Charlton fans are the most beige set of fans in the EFL!! 

Haha , well at least we’re good at something!
  • Options
    Some interesting facts and thoughts on the large police presence today from the home fans perspective -
    http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/293630/police-presence
    Millwall and albanians  :D
  • Options
    Charlton started off poorly then fell away.

Taylor, Williams, Cullen, Lockyer and Phillips receive their lowest average scores on the players marks.

A Derby County at the valley performance.

No positives. 

A collectively inept performance.

We move on and banished Stoke city v Cafc February 20/20 to room 101.
  • Options
    Yeah Oatcake life makes interesting reading, I reckon half of the posters on their, would get banning orders on here!
  • Options
    Is Field actually fit? Bit of a snub to bring in Davis straight away when Field has been on the bench in recent weeks
    Davis has been playing weekly for Birmingham

Field hasnt played since October

For what its worth I think we'll see Field start in place of Pratley on Tuesday
    David has been a sub during the last few weeks, that's why they loaned him out as he hasn't played many minutes 
    But he's still more match fit than Field
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I guess we battered them at our place earlier in the Season , and they battered us at their place, I think we won 4-3 over both legs, but I know it doesn’t work like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I guess we battered them at our place earlier in the Seaton, and they battered us at their place, I think we won 4-3 over both legs, but I know it doesn’t work like that.
    3-1 both games 

in our win we managed 46% possession 5 shots and 3 on target compared to stokes 12 shots 3 on target 

yesterday’s loss we managed 45% possession 5 shots and 2 on target compared to stokes 13 shots 6 on target 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Forget the result.
    Worst away day in years.
    Stoke as a club need to have a look at themselves.
    First time I can say a ground i will never visit again , was like going back 30 years.
    More to follow when sobered up
    Couldn’t agree more. People saying there aren’t enough police on the streets should go as an away fan to Stoke. 

Managed to find a local pub which was fine, but will not be rushing back. Been to over 80 grounds and the only one thats a  worse Matchday experience is in New Cross.

• Options
    I was not at the game,but clearly it was pretty dire.Just on the police presence subject(one of my pet gripes)next time you visit the Valley,have a count up,and see how many there are doing sod all,even for low grade cup games with 4000 people,there have been in excess of 30 officers.Dread to think how many will be there at the sold out Blackburn game.Still it beats catching thieves and muggers.
  • Options
    Was surprised by number of police - maybe all away support tarnished with same brush also not seen “bars” on a bar before? but better view than QPR.
    Wyn Grant makes good point from Bowyers comments. That performance was shite - coaches & players need to have a hard look at setup, tactics & doing the basics right.  Leaving the ground yesterday I overheard many comments suggesting we won’t be relegated - based on that display I think we’re in denial.
  • Options
    Half of London’s coppers will be present at the valley on the 4th of April, would hate to be picking up the tab on that bill (which we are directly and indirectly).
  • Options
    I guess we battered them at our place earlier in the Seaton, and they battered us at their place, I think we won 4-3 over both legs, but I know it doesn’t work like that.
    3-1 both games 

in our win we managed 46% possession 5 shots and 3 on target compared to stokes 12 shots 3 on target 

yesterday’s loss we managed 45% possession 5 shots and 2 on target compared to stokes 13 shots 6 on target 
    Cheers ooey, I’d convinced myself we’d battered them 3-0, and I was at the game!
  • Options
    Last home game of the season.......Wigan.

Oh dear.
    Why 'oh dear'.

Obviously we want to be safe before then, but if you told me now that game was a winner stays up game, i'd take it.
  • Options
    3-1 both games 

Wonder how many games this season we have had more than 50%. It seems to be our game plan to hand over possession and wait for the counter. Shame it isn't working!
  • Options
    Half of London’s coppers will be present at the valley on the 4th of April, would hate to be picking up the tab on that bill (which we are directly and indirectly).
    No doubt to ensure the visitors are as inconvenienced as possible like last time. I hope the new owners insist the visiting fans are kept in for 45 minutes to allow us to get home rather than stopping our access to the station. So they can get away easily. 

• Options
    Men against boys . Stoke looked like they had two or three more players on the pitch and they didn’t even get out of 2nd gear . 
    I wish Williams would attempt to go past players instead of looking for the free kick nearly every single time . 
    We’ll get nothing on Tuesday either . If we’re going to stay up it’s all about what we do at home . 
    Surely it's about time William's got a goal for us. I know what he provides attacking wise, but he's had 33 games now and not scored.
    Only 4 career goals in 170 appearances so don’t expect him to score for us any time soon. He’s only score 1 goal since 2014/15 season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    We wont win too many games having just 4 shots at goal with only 2 being on target. 
    Why not? We were winning a lot of games at the start of the season with one or two shots on target.

If we can sort out the relationship between midfield and defence to protect Dillon’s goal better, then only one or two goals scored per game will be enough 

As Oohaah mentions above, we only had 3 shots on target at Stoke home game, and we won that 3-1.
  • Options
    A few comments from me for what its worth:
    • Anyone who thought that was our worst performance of the season obviously didn't go to Boro. It was still very poor though.
    • I'm extremely worried now as I can't see how we can turn things around with the players we have and every game we lose puts more pressure on the next.
    • We miss the flair and quality of Conor so much. Playing Davis and Prately together makes us too defensive and we invite pressure.
    • At the risk of singling players out (the outfield players were all poor) I was disappointed with Green. I can't see him playing in the Premier League any time soon.
    • A miserable day all round. The police presence was totally unnecessary, people were unfriendly and Stoke itself is a dump.
    Unfortunately as I work in Nottingham I can't find an excuse not to go on Tuesday. I fear we will get mullered....

... I still love this club though... COYA!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Was surprised by number of police - maybe all away support tarnished with same brush also not seen “bars” on a bar before? 
    OB in good humour, unlike the ones at Wigan & Barnsley yesterday. Saw one young lad getting put in a OB van prior to the game. Said to one on the way out, nice overtime, he said he wasn’t on OT. Hate to think the cost was yesterday, that someone is picking up.
  • Options
    Difficult to fine some positives but here we go.
    1)We could have been bottom 3 after tuesday if results had gone against us.
    2) After Forest we have 2 home games which if won will take us to39 points
    3)The new players will need to be integrated to find the best combinations obviously sooner rather than later
    4)I think we all know how much pride the players and management have in this club,they will be very down after saturday and I am sure will want to come up with a response.
    5)Apart from the play off semi final,these players wont have played in front of a sold out Valley before,if that doesnt inspire them to a performence,we are in trouble.

• Options
    We were terrible from start to finish all over the park. Shocking and we are in deep deep trouble 
  • Options
    Was surprised by number of police - maybe all away support tarnished with same brush also not seen “bars” on a bar before? 
    OB in good humour, unlike the ones at Wigan & Barnsley yesterday. Saw one young lad getting put in a OB van prior to the game. Said to one on the way out, nice overtime, he said he wasn’t on OT. Hate to think the cost was yesterday, that someone is picking up.
    They were good natured to be fair the ones I came across anyway, I went over to a blue van with loads of them in it asked them if they could put the blues and twos on and give us a lift to the ground.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    We were terrible from start to finish all over the park. Shocking and we are in deep deep trouble 
    Very true, it was a good day out, apart from the football.
  • Options
    The only positive I can draw is that we have 33 points which is about 23 more than I thought we’d have at this stage towards the end of the summer transfer window. We still have a fighting chance but the injury blighted period allowed some to take a rose tinted view of how good this squad really is. Reality is setting in big style now. Our home games are vital and I just pray that LB abandons his predisposition to sit deep and actually tries to put teams to the sword. We have home games coming up against teams who are not all that great. We don’t need to show them too much respect. I’d rather go down with a bang than a whimper. Still all to play for. 
    Agree 100% 👍👍