Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Last home game of the season.......Wigan.

Oh dear.

Southbank said:
    Bowyer set up too defensively and when it was clear it wasn't working and fate allowed us to dodge a bullet at half time, he did absolutely nothing to change it. You can't say that changes would have made a difference, but you can say you need to try them. Has Bowyer lost his balls FFS?

Sarr is a better defender than Pearce btw and he gives us a better attacking flow as well. Not sure why this is not obvious to most people including our manager!
    Totally agree, we were set up too defensively from the start, inviting pressure. At half time we had a chance to change it but did not until we were two goals down. Very poor from Bowyer, makes me worry for the rest of the season.
    Oh dear for Wigan.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Watching the replays 100% Matthews at fault for the first. He’s marking Maclean. As the ball comes in Maclean runs towards the near post while Matthews plants his feet and watch the ball fly over his head, jaw flapping like it’s a fly past from red arrows or something. Ball comes back across and Matthews is. nowhere near Maclean who had a tap in. 
    If Lyle had done his defensive duties and marked Powell properly from the free kick it would never have got to Maclean. 
    Alright, 75% Matthews fault then. Lyle loses out but is at least running with his man and attempting to challenge for the ball. Matthews is just day dreaming, I’d be more forgiving if he’s close to Maclean but loses out.

He’s doing similar later on when he fails to push out and hold the line, possibly playing Ince onside for their second. Heavily culpable in two goals against today.  
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Did not go to this game but from reading peoples reactions this was another poor display.I expected defeat today and also against Forest on tuesday.Charlton have performed poorly at some recent matches and unless we start to perform as a team come the end of season we will be in the bottom three.The teams around us have to play oneanother and sooner or later our form will catch up with us.
    We can not expect other teams to sit down a do nothing we have to fight for ourself. 
  • Options
    Difficult to fine some positives but here we go.
    1)We could have been bottom 3 after tuesday if results had gone against us.
    2) After Forest we have 2 home games which if won will take us to39 points
    3)The new players will need to be integrated to find the best combinations obviously sooner rather than later
    4)I think we all know how much pride the players and management have in this club,they will be very down after saturday and I am sure will want to come up with a response.
    5)Apart from the play off semi final,these players wont have played in front of a sold out Valley before,if that doesnt inspire them to a performence,we are in trouble.

Point 2)
    Having won only 2 in the last 20, can we even hope of winning 2 of the next 3?

That is the delusional hope that being a football fan can instill. I'm in the same boat as you however, so let the dreams become reality....if they don't, like a deluded gambling addict, the next one will be a win.....or the next one!
  • Options
    3)The new players will need to be integrated to find the best combinations obviously sooner rather than later
    4)I think we all know how much pride the players and management have in this club,they will be very down after saturday and I am sure will want to come up with a response.
    5)Apart from the play off semi final,these players wont have played in front of a sold out Valley before,if that doesnt inspire them to a performence,we are in trouble.

Point 2)

That is the delusional hope that being a football fan can instill. I'm in the same boat as you however, so let the dreams become reality....if they don't, like a deluded gambling addict, the next one will be a win.....or the next one!
    We can't get much worse - we can only improve.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    BR3red said:
    BR3red said:
    Cannot remember him being in their final third?
    For such an attacking player you'd expect some goal return. It's odds on surely?
    Er no....

His stats for the last 10 years.....

3 goals 🤣

Surprisingly he is 26????

He looks knackered in the warm up...
    Arguably our best player, is generally unable to complete a full game of football, goes down like he's been shot every 5 minutes and as an attacking midfielder has scored 3 goals in 10 years. Hmm.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A very disappointing performance in which we were second best from start to finish. 

We struggled to put more than a couple of passes together (save for sideways along the back) and we were, in truth, outclassed by a Stoke side whose players looked a cut above ours. Michael O’Neill has got them well organised and, when in possession, we ended up playing in front of them and creating next to nothing, other than Purrington’s very nice goal just before half time. A shot on the turn by Lyle Taylor, which went narrowly wide near the end, was our only other effort of note.

We looked vulnerable defensively, especially down the flanks, and Joe Allen and his colleagues totally dominated the game in midfield. They had far too much space to operate in and we didn’t seem able to get near them. Taylor and Green were left to feed on scraps and a diet of aimless long balls, which Stoke dealt with comfortably.

No Charlton player emerged with any real credit and we looked jaded. Chasing the ball around against able opponents is pretty draining and I suspect that Bowyer may try to introduce Field on Tuesday if he thinks he’s fit enough to start.

Stoke did play well and it’s a puzzle as to how they find themselves messing about at the wrong end of the table.

To compound a fairly miserable performance, the match seemed to be ridiculously over-policed, with a very large number of officers on duty. Attempts to herd Charlton supporters to the designated ‘away’ pub were a bit over the top and the message about remaining in the coach park wasn’t helpful for those who had come on the normal bus service. The Stoke stewards were, to be fair, very good - at least the ones near us.

Maybe the number of Old Bill reflect the fact that some of the locals can be a bit unpleasant but most of them seemed ok. The first pub we went to, The White Star, wasn’t too welcoming but the second, The Glebe, certainly was and it served up a mean ham, egg and chips - sadly, that and a couple of pints were to prove the highlight of the day.

After Forest’s win against Leeds tonight, let’s hope that our visit on Tuesday proves to be a case of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’ from their perspective.

Blucher 100% nails it every single time.
  • Options
    Some interesting facts and thoughts on the large police presence today from the home fans perspective -
    http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/293630/police-presence
    Millwall and albanians  :D
    I think they may have "a thing" about Albanians.
    We went to one of the Weatherspoons and I heard one of their fans talking to the stewaeds and police about Albanians.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The nine outfield players that started yesterday (aside from Lyle Taylor) have scored a combined career league total of 107 goals across 1887 games according to SoccerBase. That is based on starts only and doesn't include their 317 sub appearances.

On that basis they would be expected to contribute just one goal between them in every other game.

Not many.

N.B. Darren Pratley is a key contributor to that group with 26 goals for Swansea and 5 for Brentford over a decade ago.
  • Options
    I was not at the game,but clearly it was pretty dire.Just on the police presence subject(one of my pet gripes)next time you visit the Valley,have a count up,and see how many there are doing sod all,even for low grade cup games with 4000 people,there have been in excess of 30 officers.Dread to think how many will be there at the sold out Blackburn game.Still it beats catching thieves and muggers.
    What do you want them to do, start a fight with the fans , or perhaps a little jig or dance ?    :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    wasn't there but definitely sounds like we went up there to defend for ninety minutes - i'm a big believer in trying to win a game rather than not lose one - let's have a go at forest and get the line up sorted more in preparation for the 2 home games than getting a point. Get Macgeady and Doughty in the team and go for it. 
  • Options
    Just seen the goals. Defensively we are woeful. How many goals have we conceded from set plays this season? How many times are far post headers in our box completely unchallenged? Expected nothing and that's what we got.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    As much as I’d like Charlton to win every game the reality is we won’t and if we have a bad day at the office so what, get over it and go again. The only thing that’s wrong with our game at the moment is we are playing with just one natural goal scorer and we are not pushing the opposition back enough and that just encourages them to attack us. 
  • Options

Point 2)

No reason we can't beat Blackburn & Luton at home.
  • Options
    Despite that awful performance at Stoke yesterday 
    and the totally justified negative comments  on this forum, I honestly believe as a Charlton supporter of
    50 plus years, that Lee Bowyer will keep us up.

• Options
    No one ever seems to say this... what is Jacko doing in training with them? He’s in charge of set pieces isn’t he? Anyone can see we need to work on defending set pieces so how have we not sorted the issue out yet?
  • Options
    Re Williams getting fouled by Stoke players in rotation, with no yellows being shown.
    In basketball they have a cumulative system where after five fouls on a player, the next offender goes to the sin bin (according to a mate). Perhaps a similar system should be used in football, with a yellow instead of the sin bin. It's so easy for a team to target one player that they have picked out as a threat to them, as they did with Williams yesterday. Before he left for Swansea it was Gallagher, and now he' gone, it's most likely to be Williams. Otzumer, who replaced him yesterday, didn't appear to be targeted as much, but was that perhaps because they were already three one up? Or perhaps he's actually slightly more illusive when on he ball?

But overall I think our best bet v. Forest would be to pick a much more attacking side and go all out for the win. Nothing to be gained from setting up defensively and in all probability getting hammered again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame Naby, Joe Denly and Joe Launchbury.
  • Options
    Was surprised by number of police - maybe all away support tarnished with same brush also not seen “bars” on a bar before? 
    OB in good humour, unlike the ones at Wigan & Barnsley yesterday. Saw one young lad getting put in a OB van prior to the game. Said to one on the way out, nice overtime, he said he wasn’t on OT. Hate to think the cost was yesterday, that someone is picking up.
    Every copper we spoke to had been drafted in from elsewhere, not sure what they were expecting to happen but it was massive overkill

• Options
    We stay together and keep on fighting. Thank you for your support again.
    #Cafc https://instagram.com/p/B8UtgPiBlal/?igshid=12uj129p4h9ln

• Options
    The travelling fans were fantastic today! Not the result we wanted but the boys worked hard, we dig deep and we go again Tuesday
    #cafc #COYR

• Options
    Well please go again a bit better than you did on Saturday! You don't have to win but grow an F*ing pair and at least try to!
  • Options
    Am I the only one who is beginning to doubt the tactical nous of our management team.
    Started to worry last week when they substituted 
    William's with JFC when did he last play.
    Yesterday we set up far to defensively. 
    With our record its relegation if we do not start to believe. LB is not the messiah !!

• Options
    I think we need to give Bowyer a chance - everybody can make mistakes. But let's not pretend mistakes have not been made. He was a breath of fresh air when he came into management. I loved that he always tried to win. Ok, we are in a tougher division but it is the only way to go. Become ultra negative and you are just like the rest of the bland management tosh which is throughout football.
  • Options
    Williams said in his very first interview when he signed that he doesn't score goals but is one to feed the player who puts the final ball in..........so we knew from the start he isn't a goal scoring midfielder. Cullen is more defensive & has a couple of goals for us in about 60 games and Pratley (surprisingly) has about half a dozen. Hardly a midfield bursting with goals. Gallagher scored more than those 3 between them & should have been replaced......instead we brought in more defensive players in Davis & Smith.

McGeady is the most likely to give us goals from midfield but LB decided to keep him on the bench last week & bring on JFC for Williams instead 🤔. Of course, McGeady was then ill this week (showing that resting players means bugger all as you dont know what will transpire afterwards) but I would very much hope he plays some part on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who is beginning to doubt the tactical nous of our management team.
    Started to worry last week when they substituted 
    William's with JFC when did he last play.
    Yesterday we set up far to defensively. 
    With our record its relegation if we do not start to believe. LB is not the messiah !!

No you’re not the only one mate.