Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    We all know at the start of the season it was going be hard but I fully thought we would stay up but as the games start to run out for us now I now believe we will go down. Which could be a good thing as we need to rebuild the whole team and start a fresh. There is only a handful of players I would keep for next season. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    IR94 said:
    When are we gonna stop playing Pearce, must be the worst cb in the league
    Erm... Who else was there to play today?
    shoulda bought a cb in Jan, was criminal we didnt 
    Or maybe today highlighted that Lockyer and Sarr havent been as bad as everyone has made out...

The former especially has been questioned with people suggesting he should be replaced by Oshilaja for a bit
  • Options
    Trying to be positive:
    Once we were one down we were pushing up and always going to be vulnerable to a second goal. Had Cullen not put his shot over the bar it might have been a very different match.
    Two down and we pushed up even more, so you just knew more Huddersfield goals were coming.
    Basically they were stronger than us, and better than us. Grant looked sharp, and in O'Brien they had a player who could control a game in the way you'd hope Oztumer and McGeady might. Neither looked up to that level today unfortunately. 
    No point in digging out individuals today. Williams coming on was a big positive. Mathews looked good again.
    We'll all feel a lot better after we win next week. It's certainly the most important match of the season so far.
    That's the positives done.
  • Options
    I was promised that once we had all our players back we would piss up the league. What now. 
    This. Might have been better to have sold Taylor for £4m & brought in 3 or 4 players for £1m each. 

I said about a month ago that I hope that the trio of Cullen, Williams & Taylor have big shoulders as everyone was putting a lot of faith in them keeping us up once they were all back. 

I think it boils down to not the above 3 but a single person. The manager. Not sure he really knows what he is doing & needs to go away & re-think if he can get us out of this mess.
    Thing is we would have got 4 mil and signed 3 players on free transfers. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    When Southall came in we were at least 6 points above the relegation, all we needed was 3/4 championship level players, instead, we got has-beens and cast offs
    No but the SMT at the club all got new 90,000 Range Rovers so some people got something shiny and new. Oh fuck is this the wrong thread. Point me to the right one? :)
  • Options
    Whatever happens I will not under any circumstances be going through the transfer window thread and laughing at anyone who was telling me they were happy with the window  ;)

That would be petty...

We don't have a clue how to break teams down, we sit back counter. It's Taylor pulling us out the sh*t or nothing.
  • Options
    Excited to see what GIF Southall tweets when we go down 
  • Options
    Does anyone think that Bowyer has lost the dressing room? Even shit players would show more passion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still in our hands. Beat Middlesbrough and Wigan we'll be safe. Lose then it won't look good.
    No one beats Wigan.
  • Options
    With Naby and Pratley back, with Purrington to shore up the defence I think we'll improve on these last few performances. Williams today is a positive. Shame about McGeady though. I thought he would be a good signing. At the end of the day it's all about confidence.
  • Options
    If we win 5 we're safe I reckon. 
  • Options
    Our only hope is that our home form is fair. I’ve got a feeling it will be the Wigan home game that seals our fate one way or another 
  • Options
    Oshilaja losing possession was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals today and he was not the only one, Doughty and McGeady were especially guilty,  who held on to the ball too long or passed directly to the opposition when they did pass it.  Terrible basic mistakes cost us today. 
    Our midfield is weaker than when we started the season. Gallagher was a big loss and Cullen has not been the same player since coming back from injury, maybe he has lost drive and confidence knowing he has no future at West Ham.
    Pratley at least gives us some bite in midfield and that too was missing today.Williams has been in and out and not influential enough.
    If we can get Pratley, Williams and Cullen into the team permanently  between now and the end of the season we stand half a chance. If we have to use Davis, McGeady, Doughty and Lapslie we are done for.
  • Options
    I think, as Don McLean would say, this is the day the music died. We have finally been found out. League 1 squad and a rookie manager getting found out. Shit past and present ownership. A dangerous cocktail. But the biggest thing according to the match thread is this is the day the players gave up. Once the second went in it could have been a cricket score. We’ve done well to stave off the inevitable given our legacy but today all our chickens came home to roost. I’d put my house on us going down now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All is not lost! Plenty of points to play for! Our backs are truly against the wall. BUT Lee/JJ have done really well
    with next to no money, an absent uninterested owner. I only dipped in and out of the match and yes we did look all at sea. We as supporters need to do our bit and SUPPORT! We need to make the Valley a hard difficult place to come and win. 
    If i knew tactics, and how to play pro football, believe me i would be doing exactly that and not a lowly  Civil Servant. 
    So  trust in Lee/JJ. ITS WRITTEN IN THE STARS.   COME ON YOU REDS!    I AM CHARLTON TILL I DIE!
    We say this every week. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    When are we gonna stop playing Pearce, must be the worst cb in the league
    Who would you have played today instead of him?
  • Options
    Really missing Pratley. Get him back quickly, and with Williams and Bonne gaining fitness, we may just have enough. The lack of creativity is very worrying, Taylor had nothing to run on to all game. I'd much rather see Albie Morgan playing than McGeady who just seems to get caught in possession all the time.
    Yep, Pratley has been a huge loss. 
  • Options
    With Naby and Pratley back, with Purrington to shore up the defence I think we'll improve on these last few performances. Williams today is a positive. Shame about McGeady though. I thought he would be a good signing. At the end of the day it's all about confidence.
    Remember when we were all saying with Cullen, Taylor and Williams back we’ll be fine.

It doesn’t work like that. This is a squad devoid of creativity, confidence and goals.

The only way we stay up is if Middlesbrough keep up this awful run. Even then survival is not something we should be proud of this season in such a weak league.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Rossman92 said:
    Talal said:
    McGeady can do one, brings nothing whatsoever to the team. Effectively a three man midfield with him there. 
    Fitting he took Leko's shirt. His situational awareness is just as bad if not worse 
    Difference is Leko contributed goals
  • Options
    I was promised that once we had all our players back we would piss up the league. What now. 
    This. Might have been better to have sold Taylor for £4m & brought in 3 or 4 players for £1m each. 

I said about a month ago that I hope that the trio of Cullen, Williams & Taylor have big shoulders as everyone was putting a lot of faith in them keeping us up once they were all back. 

I think it boils down to not the above 3 but a single person. The manager. Not sure he really knows what he is doing & needs to go away & re-think if he can get us out of this mess.
    Better to have sold our best player? Ffs 
    One player a team doth not make. He is a great player & has won games recently for us......but seeing as ESI have less money than RD it might have been better to use that money to strengthen the squad. No good having a decent striker but then having no-one to give him the ball in the box.
  • Options
    We all know at the start of the season it was going be hard but I fully thought we would stay up but as the games start to run out for us now I now believe we will go down. Which could be a good thing as we need to rebuild the whole team and start a fresh. There is only a handful of players I would keep for next season. 
    Do you really think that ESI have the money and know-how to assemble a team to really compete? I don't.
  • Options
    What's Bowyers beef with Purrington?

The fella did well against Forest. Picking an obviously tired Doughty over him is just bizarre.