Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PlayStation 5 or XBOX Series X

Comments

• Options
    I can see an end-game being Xbox holding off all Microsoft owned titles from Playstation until Playstation either pay them a tonne of money for licensing, or they allow Xbox gamepass on their system. 
  • Options
    The thing that annoys me the most when you see how much money Sony and Microsoft both make each year and how much they spend on buying up studios they still want to charge £70 for a new AAA game.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly the Microsoft/activision deal should be thrown out for monopolising the market. 

They've bought a company almost as big as Sony. Plus all the other third party developers they've purchased in the last few years. 
    Totally agree. As much as I love my Xbox, I hate that these megacorporations continue to hoover up companies and become even more more mega. It's not good for anyone but their shareholders.
    Both companies have seen exclusivity as a way of selling systems for a long time. GTA3 was a PS exclusive initially and Sony spent years buying up game studios, albeit much smaller studios. 

Think it is wrong to say that as consumers there are no benefits, but it is hard for us to quantify. For example, not only do I have access to all the Bethseda titles for a fraction of the cost compared to buying the titles individually, but the release schedules may have been moved up for their big titles as the developers now have access to far greater resources, eg development engines and support studios. 
    Not sure I understand what you mean about Bethesda titles at a fraction of the cost? Do you mean because they'll all be on one console now?
    Probably means as they will all launch straight in to Gamepass so won't ever have to actually buy the game, just subscribe to gamepass and you can play them all.
    Right. Well it's quite cheap at the moment because they're trying to build users but when they've bought up the market and killed competition from Sony, they'll be charging what they like. 

Yeah, I was referring to game pass, which extends to PC as well. No doubt the price will go up but even at £30 a month, game pass would still represent value if you played 6 or 7 day one releases in a year, not to mention everything in the extensive back catalogue. I think killing off the competition in the game market is going to be a lot harder than simply buying a few companies that own a some popular brands.  The market is just too big and console gaming is a fraction of this. I found the following, not sure how accurate it is but it is line with what I have previously seen:

Companies don't own the mechanics or genres and new studios are formed all the time. You just have to look at the rise of COD or FIFA and how no one is still playing Medal of Honour or International Superstar Soccer as an example. By the time Microsoft was able to kill off the competition we will probably have moved to a streaming model as the infrastructure that is required will have caught up anyway and that will change everything again as you won't need a console. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly the Microsoft/activision deal should be thrown out for monopolising the market. 

They've bought a company almost as big as Sony. Plus all the other third party developers they've purchased in the last few years. 
    Totally agree. As much as I love my Xbox, I hate that these megacorporations continue to hoover up companies and become even more more mega. It's not good for anyone but their shareholders.
    Both companies have seen exclusivity as a way of selling systems for a long time. GTA3 was a PS exclusive initially and Sony spent years buying up game studios, albeit much smaller studios. 

Think it is wrong to say that as consumers there are no benefits, but it is hard for us to quantify. For example, not only do I have access to all the Bethseda titles for a fraction of the cost compared to buying the titles individually, but the release schedules may have been moved up for their big titles as the developers now have access to far greater resources, eg development engines and support studios. 
    Not sure I understand what you mean about Bethesda titles at a fraction of the cost? Do you mean because they'll all be on one console now?
    Probably means as they will all launch straight in to Gamepass so won't ever have to actually buy the game, just subscribe to gamepass and you can play them all.
    Right. Well it's quite cheap at the moment because they're trying to build users but when they've bought up the market and killed competition from Sony, they'll be charging what they like. 

Yeah, I was referring to game pass, which extends to PC as well. No doubt the price will go up but even at £30 a month, game pass would still represent value if you played 6 or 7 day one releases in a year, not to mention everything in the extensive back catalogue. I think killing off the competition in the game market is going to be a lot harder than simply buying a few companies that own a some popular brands.  The market is just too big and console gaming is a fraction of this. I found the following, not sure how accurate it is but it is line with what I have previously seen:

Companies don't own the mechanics or genres and new studios are formed all the time. You just have to look at the rise of COD or FIFA and how no one is still playing Medal of Honour or International Superstar Soccer as an example. By the time Microsoft was able to kill off the competition we will probably have moved to a streaming model as the infrastructure that is required will have caught up anyway and that will change everything again as you won't need a console. 
    They may not play ISS, but they do still play Pro Evo or EFootball (or whatever it's called now) for some reason. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

They may not play ISS, but they do still play Pro Evo or EFootball (or whatever it's called now) for some reason. 
    Oh for sure, but there was a time it was far better than Fifa and the bigger brand. 
  • Options
    Sony's response to Gamepass is rumoured to be announced soon with a 3 tiered membership structure, seems to me the best way to go, the more you want the more you pay although they have already said they won't release first party games day and date in to it.

I can see Sony going all out for Konami, gets them the Metal Gear and Silent Hill IP's, pair that with the partnership they have with Kojima would be a big deal to get those franchises back with Kojima and exclusive to PlayStation.
  • Options
    I finally caved and my new PS5 landed last night. All ready for Horizon Forbidden West next month. Will smash through Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in the meantime. 

Buzzing.
  • Options
    I finally caved and my new PS5 landed last night. All ready for Horizon Forbidden West next month. Will smash through Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in the meantime. 

Buzzing.
    You've heard it a million times I am sure but every PS5 owner I know recommends playing through Astro's playroom. 
  • Options
    Any general idea when the ps5 will be available to purchase before it immediately sells out?

Sounds like it's probably worth waiting a few years anyway via general maintenance, updates and decrease in price 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Any general idea when the ps5 will be available to purchase before it immediately sells out?

Sounds like it's probably worth waiting a few years anyway via general maintenance, updates and decrease in price 
    Apparently the chip shortage is ongoing, so a year or so yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In case any ps5 owners are interested. The ssd that Playstation recommend has a massive discount on amazon. Apprx 40% off 500gb, 1tb and 2tb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PHSVW7K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_HQQQHH7VD8VRN6KBF84H?psc=1
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I used the PS5 stock checker twitter feed with notifications switched on and landed one pretty easily earlier in the week.
  • Options
    https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps5-playstation-5-console

Use this link, set up alert and hope your bear your phone when in stock, says Argos currently have disc less ones in stock.

I can stop the alerts for some reason and get at least 2/3 a week for both ps5 and series X so there are units coming in to stores just need to quick when the alert comes in.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    In case any ps5 owners are interested. The ssd that Playstation recommend has a massive discount on amazon. Apprx 40% off 500gb, 1tb and 2tb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PHSVW7K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_HQQQHH7VD8VRN6KBF84H?psc=1
    Picked up the 1tb with heatsink, had a £30 voucher to use up so only cost 120 in the end
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Ludite question. Am looking at a PS5. If I go for the digital version, do I loose all access to the 2nd hand games market? IE CeX etc?
  • Options
    Ludite question. Am looking at a PS5. Of aingo for the digital version, do I loose all access to the 2nd hand games market? IE CeX etc?
    Yes the digital version is only for digital downloads, so no pre-owned games
  • Options
    Ludite question. Am looking at a PS5. Of aingo for the digital version, do I loose all access to the 2nd hand games market? IE CeX etc?
    Thanks suspected as much.

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    cafcpolo said:

Picked up the 1tb with heatsink, had a £30 voucher to use up so only cost 120 in the end
    how simple was it to install.  i'm tempted at this price
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafcpolo said:

2 mins.

Pop off the side plate with the disc drive on/no ps logo.

Unscrew the small silver panel

Unscrew the holding screw and it's housing, place the housing in the hole that aligns with how long the SSD is

Pop the SSD in, pushing it into the slot until it clicks into place

Lightly hold it down as you re-screw the holding screw in, until it holds the ssd in place

Replace the panel and screw it in place

Replace the side plate

Done
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I've immediately redownloaded about 7 games to my ps5 now. Have my ps4 games on an external hard drive, and most of my ps5 library on the SSD, combined I have nearly 3tb in space and I'm hoping that's going to be enough for years to come
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks suspected as much.

Worth noting that PS digital downloads are usually very pricey compared to shopping around for the disc versions. Although disc console costs more upfront I think it will pay for itself in the long run and gives you the ability to buy pre owned games to make more savings. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    cafcwill said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafcpolo said:

2 mins.

Unscrew the holding screw and it's housing, place the housing in the hole that aligns with how long the SSD is

Lightly hold it down as you re-screw the holding screw in, until it holds the ssd in place

Replace the side plate

Done
    Did you buy the 2TB version?
  • Options
    What would really make me get a PS5, is bringing out a new GTA. For years they seem to just bring out stuff online or re-release old ones. Such a shame, the only thing i play on ps4 is fifa so although i was going to get one, i have held fire for now as i am just a casual gamer.  I know there are a few games out, i am just still annoyed still nothing on GTA (that i know off) 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    cafcwill said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafcpolo said:

2 mins.

Replace the side plate

Done
    Did you buy the 2TB version?
    1TB, but my external hard drive is also 1TB
  • Options
    I've just made myself feel a bit sick but i've gone for the 2TB option
  • Options
    Is anyone else with a PS5 suffering from the black screen issue?

My screen will go black for two seconds (in any game) then come back to life. My TV then comes up with an 'HDR' logo so i'm wondering if that's related. 

Probably happens once every half an hour?
  • Options
    Is anyone else with a PS5 suffering from the black screen issue?

My screen will go black for two seconds (in any game) then come back to life. My TV then comes up with an 'HDR' logo so i'm wondering if that's related. 

Probably happens once every half an hour?
    Are you sure its not your HDMI cable? I have that happen on my xbox sometimes but I know the HDMI cable is a bit knackered on it so I just have to get it into a better position
  • Options
    It's the one supplied with the Playstation and is only 3 months old. Maybe it's worth getting a new one.
  • Options
    I had that with one of my TVs but not the other. It was rectified by changing the settings on the PS5 display settings, I had to put flicker reduction rate at -2 and one of the colour settings to limited IIRC
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I had that with one of my TVs but not the other. It was rectified by changing the settings on the PS5 display settings, I had to put flicker reduction rate at -2 and one of the colour settings to limited IIRC
    Thanks - I've seen this suggested online as a fix. Seems a shame to invest in a PS5 and a fancy TV, only to cripple the visual experience just to keep it working.