Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Luton Town are also interested. Hahah. F off.
  • edited September 2020
    Looks like it's the Kingstonian manager where Doughty was on loan at that's trying to push his move to Celtic. Reckon he's a little sour that we recalled him and Dempsey and they missed out on promotion 
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfie-doughtys-school-hard-knocks-22637935.amp
  • So not Lynch then...
  • So not Lynch then...
    Guessing not, maybe a kid from a prem team
  • MattF said:

So we can play a 17 year old and it doesn't count as one of the embargo 23 limit, but can't play a 19 year old as it would do...

I imagine there are a few frustrated older academy players out there, seeing the quirk of the embargo rules allow Barker to leapfrog them!
  • No inside knowledge but I wonder if the loan player is someone like Ki-Jana Hoever from Liverpool, equally comfortable as a centre back and right back. Desperately need cover in both positions.
  • MattF said:

So we can play a 17 year old and it doesn't count as one of the embargo 23 limit, but can't play a 19 year old as it would do...

I imagine there are a few frustrated older academy players out there, seeing the quirk of the embargo rules allow Barker to leapfrog them!
    I said elsewhere I thought that might be the case. It explains why Barker and Henry played ahead of several u23 CBs and CMs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bournesnr said:
    Mcgeady???
    Deleted from memory banks
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:

I said elsewhere I thought that might be the case. It explains why Barker and Henry played ahead of several u23 CBs and CMs.
    I’m 99% sure Henry has already signed a pro deal and therefore counts towards the squad cap.
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:

I’m 99% sure Henry has already signed a pro deal and therefore counts towards the squad cap.
    I think he counts because he played a first team game last season.
  • Have the likes of Ness or Vega played for us yet? They'd be ahead of Barker in normal circumstances
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:

The club announced Euan Williams signed pro, I don’t think they’ve confirmed Henry has.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88244/euan-williams-signs-pro-contract
  • Have the likes of Ness or Vega played for us yet? They'd be ahead of Barker in normal circumstances
    Would they? If Barker is the better of the three, he should be ahead of them both IMO.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Have the likes of Ness or Vega played for us yet? They'd be ahead of Barker in normal circumstances
    Would they? If Barker is the better of the three, he should be ahead of them both IMO.
    Agree the best player (who’s also ready mentally) should play, but from what Richard Cawley has said Barker played because he’s a scholar (defined by age and/or contract?).

Playing an u23 would have added them to our “senior” squad and therefore stopped us from making a signing this week.
  • Scoham said:
    MattF said:

Henry also played against West Brom in the FA Cup so either he's regarded as a scholar or he's already taken a squad place in the embargo prior to this season
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Have the likes of Ness or Vega played for us yet? They'd be ahead of Barker in normal circumstances
    Big IF though. Fair play to Barker, sounds like he's impressing. But it also sounds like he was picked on his age and our embargo status rather than being better than Ness and/or Vega. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Big IF though. Fair play to Barker, sounds like he's impressing. But it also sounds like he was picked on his age and our embargo status rather than being better than Ness and/or Vega. 
    But we've not seen anything to suggest Ness or Vega are close to coming through yet either. 

Where's the usual lot that see the U23's and U18's to let us know which of them deserves a shot? So far all we've seen from Barker has been just about good enough for League 1.

Alongside a half decent CB partner he should do well.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Barker a bit like others has shown that there is no right age for a player to be thrown into mens football - Some can just do it at 17, others when they're in their 20s, others for whatever reason just cant hack it at all despite being highly rated in the youth setup.

Certainly agree though that if Barker is of the type that can just naturally hack it then it has to happen at the right pace, a bit like Shelvey and Gomez we cant just go throwing him into a full 50-game + season
  • Very different circumstances I’ll admit but given Karlan’s far too early baptism into first team football which I believe really set him back and his subsequent achievement after a period of rehabilitation from that early shock and disappointment, I wouldn’t expect or want Barker thrown in too quickly for his own development. Good for the lad that he’s had a taste and will want more but only when he ready, not out of necessity.
  • Seems we're getting in this lad on loan... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Levitt
  • We love the Welshies at the moment.
  • Him, his agent, and Man Utd are barking mad or pig ignorant coming our way in light of recent news.