Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton Athletic | Tues 7 July | KO: 18.00pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited July 2020 in General Charlton
Brentford v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 7 July | Kick-Off: 18.00pm (Live on Valley Pass)

Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Brentford

Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire) - Previously officiated us twice this season: Leeds (H) and Barnsley (H).

Introduction
The less we say about our latest result the better. Performance wise we may have put in one of our better performances against those lot down the road, but that doesn't seem to make much difference as the result stays the same. Fortunately, it could be said that the results that followed of the clubs around us were favourable, making the loss on Friday night all the more frustrating! As the theme now for the rest of the season, the quick turnaround in fixtures means we must move on swiftly and remember, the value of the points at stake are the same in every game we go into. Next up is arguably the toughest game on paper, an in form Brentford away.

Opposition
Manager: Thomas Frank (44.4% win rate) | Stadium: Griffin Park
League Position: 3rd | Nickname(s): The Bees
Fun Facts:
- Similarly to Cardiff City, Brentford were formed by a group of another sport, this time Brentford rowing club. The aim was to give them something to do during the winter months, but Brentford were so nearly a rugby club and not football. Members of the Brentford rowing club voted in favour of football, 8 votes to 5.

- After staying at Griffin Park since 1904, Brentford will move a mile down the road to a newly built stadium which is due to be called Lionel Road. However, this isn't the first time they have almost left the ground. Back in 1967, QPR tried to buy out Brentford from Griffin Park but after large protests that reached the national press, the Chairman sold his shares as the sale collapsed.

Brentford played Wigan Athletic at home last time out, winning 3-0. Their line up was:

Raya
Dalsgaard | Jansson | Pinnock | Henry
Marcondes | Norgaard | Baptiste
Mbeumo | Watkins | Benrahma

Fantastic form of four wins in a row since the return of football last month, which included beating Fulham and West Brom, have provided Brentford with a reasonable chance of automatic promotion. Brentford will also know that a win against us on Tuesday night will mathematically secure their place in the play-offs if Derby fail to beat West Brom on Wednesday evening. Brentford's league position may be currently 3rd, but to many they're deemed as the best team in the division. The league's top scorers and best defence have continued to prove that as they are yet to concede a goal since we returned, whilst scoring 9 in the process. Without doubt, Brentford are a very dangerous side and one capable of humiliating their opposition if they're in the mood. Having won 7-0 against Luton back in November, they've since beat fellow strugglers Hull 5-1, and Sheffield Wednesday 5-0. The Bees home form has been what's kept them buzzing around at the top end of the table. With the best home record in the league, this match on Tuesday evening is likely to be our hardest remaining fixture.

Brentford are known for their front 3 attackers, BMW is how they've been nicknamed, and rightly so too. So far this season, 53 goals and 20 assists between them at an average age of 22.67 years, make them an incredibly lethal attack. Ollie Watkins is the player who usually gets most of the attention, the young striker moved from Exeter back in 2017 for a reported fee of £1.8mil, just one example of Brentford's excellent recruitment. He has since gone from strength to strength, previously used as a winger or attacking midfielder, he has taken to the central striking position this season like a duck to water. The quick, yet surprisingly strong and aggressive attacker can look after himself against tough defenders, whilst having the ability to come short and create another body in midfield. Overloading that area is a real strength to a Brentford side who already keep the ball exceptionally well. However, it would be wrong and stupid to focus too much on him as the Bees possess a lot of sting in their attack. Benrahma proved exactly that on Saturday as he came away with the match ball after scoring a hat-trick against Wigan. We are going to have to be at our very best to stop this attack on Tuesday.

The way Brentford play is expansive and skilful, using the width of the pitch to their advantage. One wide player we know all about is Fosu, and this Brentford side is perfectly suited to the way he plays. However, it is likely that he is to start on the bench. Other tactical factors are that they use the press extremely well so don't expect us to be able to play our way out of defence too much. Going long up to Hemed and/or Aneke to hold could be the way we get up the pitch. Brentford aren't just useful with the ball though, they're rapid on the counter attack too. One move you will often see is Watkins dropping short, but this is used a decoy. One of the central defenders will naturally follow Watkins when he comes short in attacking transitions, but what Brentford do so impressively is their movement off the ball. As Watkins comes short, it creates an opening for one of the wide attackers to enter in the area he has just vacated. They push their full-backs up high which naturally covers the space that their wide attackers were initially filling, but often the ball never reaches Watkins. Instead in this well rehearsed attacking transition, the ball goes beyond and in behind, utilising the pace of their players. The opposition are now running and facing their own goal and that's where Brentford hurt teams the most.

Charlton Team News
Last time out, Lee Bowyer named the same team we had when we won against Hull and QPR, therefore making 7 changes again. In this fixture, it would be wise not to expect the same volume of changes, but changes we should expect indeed. Away at Brentford, it is likely Bowyer is to go with a back 5, trying to ensure we don't allow the spaces they will create in order to hurt us. I would expect to see Sarr and Doughty to be included in that 5, with Field sitting alongside Cullen in midfield. A very similar team to away at Cardiff could be used with Forster-Caskey coming back in. But further questions remain on personnel, could we see someone like Oztumer come into the squad? Is Morgan fit to be part of the team after coming off at half time on Friday? Could we see Williams start for the first time since the return? Lots of questions and different selections for Bowyer to mull over, but what is for certain is he will be doing everything he can to ensure we maintain our unbeaten record against the top 6 this season.

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Purrington, Pratley, Morgan, Williams, McGeady, Green, Bonne

Prediction
Any kind of result here will be a bonus. With teams below us in the table playing each other the league could yet get even more close. A draw away at an in form Brentford pushing for promotion would be fantastic. Let's hope the pain from Friday is used to fuel fire in our belly to ensure we don't suffer another defeat. It's going to be difficult, but this league is crazy so it would be unwise to completely write us off. Let's be optimistic even if it's more unlikely.

Brentford 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Hemed

Comments

• Options
    Great write up and good to move on from Friday. 
     0.0 is my prediction more in hope than expectation. 
  • Options
    I am not expecting anything from this game. A draw would be fantastic. Just hope we do not get a hiding. Would play a 5-4-1 as the strikers are firing blanks.
  • Options
    Who would take a 0-1 defeat and move on? I might....
  • Options
    I have absolutely no faith in us getting anything from this game.  The main aim, IMO, is simply to keep the score down - a four or five goal defeat would hurt our goal difference enormously (as it is actually quite good right now), so I'd happily settle for a two or three goal loss. It would be lovely to put them under pressure, but we don't seem to have anyone capable of scoring right now.

I think Pratley has to play (in the libero role), so my preferred line up is as follows:

Phillips
    Matthews
    Purrington
    Lockyer
    Pearce
    Cullen
    Pratley 
    Field
    Doughty
    Aneke
    Green

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Purrington, Sarr, Morgan, McGeady, Williams, Hemed, Bonne

• Options
    First time in the blue kit?
  • Options
    Fairly straightforward 2-0 win for Brentford,we'll defend manfully enough but wont be able to hold out. They're up there for a reason,their front 3 are the envy of the rest of the division i'd imagine and they owe us one after the daylight robbery we committed on them earlier in the season. Its a free hit,the real biggies are coming up after this game.
  • Options
    First time in the blue kit?
    Correct. Have changed the visual team presentation to represent this. Thanks.
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll see Green in place of Hemed again and Lapslie ahead of Matthews

Agree with that team otherwise though - Great write up as always @Sage
  • Options
    Best team I've seen us play this season . We will go ultra defensive so won't concede too many , but our record of not losing to a top six team will go nevertheless .
  • Options
    Great write up Sage. 
    Every logical thought I have tells me this should be a straight forward win for Brentford. 
    But football often doesn't go as you would expect. If it did we would all make a killing at the bookies. 
    I expect both teams to make changes for this game with fixtures coming so close together. 
    A backs to the wall 1.1 Draw with Phillips being man of the match to get over his slip against millwall. 
    COYA. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Hopefully they rest Benrahma, not that it’d make a difference.

3-0 Brentford.  
  • Options
    didn't even realise we had a blue kit 

cant see a win for us as we struggle to score. defensively ok but i believe they will get at least 1. so 1-0 to Brentford and hope we can get a result against Reading even if they did just thrash Luton. 
  • Options
    Can’t see us losing by less than 3 goals. Hope I’m wrong. Fosu to be on the scoresheet would be ironic when you see the duffers we’ve got up front. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Good write up Sage , now we all know what the results going to be here don't we ? Our loss at home to Millwall on Friday was predictable and Brentford's big win on Saturday to previously unbeaten Wigan , post lock down a sure sign , there's only gonna be one result here surely ............,.....
    ...... Yes 1-0 to us , it's the Charlton way , Sarr with a late set, piece winner .
  • Options
    Flood the midfield and hope for the best, if Brentford get an early goal we'll get the runaround.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Put out as attacking a line-up as possible and try and get some goals in us. Our defence is good enough that we won't concede that many.
    Can never tell if you're on a wind up or not mate but I reckon if you was in between the sticks on Tuesday you'd want as much cover in front of you for 90 minutes as you could get not a gung ho approach 😉.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    None of the teams in the Championship are are all that special, with the possible exception of Brentford. 
    Logic would suggest at least a 3-0 win for Brentford, so I’m predicting 0-1 to Charlton. A fairly ungenerous 15/2 for the win, and 20/1 for 0-1 with Paddy Power. 
    I’ve no idea how we’ll manage it though.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    None of the teams in the Championship are are all that special, with the possible exception of Brentford. 
    Logic would suggest at least a 3-0 win for Brentford, so I’m predicting 0-1 to Charlton. A fairly ungenerous 15/2 for the win, and 20/1 for 0-1 with Paddy Power. 
    I’ve know idea how we’ll manage it though.
    Keep it tight, defend for our lives and stick one in their net James 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t see past us getting spanked. I would however sit hemed and bonne down and play clips of all the goals they’ve scored over the years, just to try and raise their confidence and inspire them a little. They can both score, LB has stated the bonne is a natural, I believe he’s over thinking things at the moment and just needs a re set. Reminding him of his strengths may just help the lad rediscover his potency. 
    However I see the Bees winning comfortably, and I hope is doesn’t effect them to much for the crucial 3 games after this one. 
  • Options
    Maybe this will be the match for us to have a long overdue penalty ....
  • Options
    2 0 Brentford despite a 541 formation:

Phillips

Matthews Lockyer Pearce Sarr Oshilaja

Forster-Caskey Pratley Cullen Morgan

Hemed 

More what I think Bowyer will go with than what I would. I would put Doughty in for Oshilaja, Field in for JFC and Aneke up front
  • Options
    Sadly I can’t see anything other than an easy Brentford win.
  • Options
    Can’t see us getting a win but a draw is a distinct possibility, Dillon will have to be at the top of his game though.
  • Options
    We'll definitely lose this . i have no doubt about it. It's whether we put a dent in our goal difference by getting stuffed? 

I have a feeling Bows will rest quite a few players again ,  he will go for a defensive formation and just play one up front.

2-0 defeat 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dream land! We've done it Tel!

PS QPR have just scored v. Middlesbrough :-)
    (Good results yesterday too).
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dream world! We've done it Tel!

PS QPR have just scored v. Middlesbrough :-)
    (Good results yesterday too).
    I'm glad you never put me on the spot and asked how we are going to score 😉. In all seriousness we will get at least a couple of chances from a set piece or breakaway and we just have to take one 🤞.
  • Options
    This kind of rampant mismatch often throws up a surprise. Remember when we went to Brighton and promptly took a 2-0 lead? Yeah we did lose in the end but our attacking early approach surprised them. I'd hope for similar here