Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic | Wed 15 July | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Looking at the post above looks like 0-1.
  • Options
    Not sure where a goal for us is coming from so 0-0 at best more likely 1-0 to them if and when we make a defensive mistake.

Magnificent by Bowyer to keep us in the mix with just 3 games to go but I fear Saturday against Reading, and getting nothing from that, will prove season defining ultimately.

• Options
    Santa Charlton with an early Christmas present for Birmingham.

0-1
  • Options
    A goal came on Saturday. It is just the lino wrongly decided not to give it.
  • Options
    I can’t see an away goal so will pray for a 0-0 boredraw
  • Options
    Just so we know that there was nothing else to try in our prison break I'd like to see Davison get a game or at least be a sub... plus I'd love to see Otzumer play a part... Mainly because we truly need players to run at teams instead of the sideways shuffle. 

I don't think Aneke is ready by a long shot and Hemed.... Well... I think there's a player in there somewhere.... Just not sure if we have time to find out. 

Like most posters we'd all love to see us really go for it... My worry though is cautious LB will not. 

3 nil to us.... Rose tinted glasses fully on! 
  • Options
    I think this one will end up 1-1, us losing our lead to a dodgy assistant referee decision, which piles on the pressure for our one cup final this season Charlton vs Wigan. At least this is what should happen if it is in line with every other Charlton outcome/development I have witnessed over 34 years of supporting them. Bonne responds to Bowyer with a six yard tap in.

The side should look like:

Green

Lockyer  Pearce Sarr 

Matthews                       Doughty

Cullen     Field

Williams/McGeady (pref Williams)

Hemed       Bonne
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Birmingham are winless post-lockdown, have only 1 home win in 14 games, no clean sheet at home since October and have conceded 3 goals in each of their last 5 home games.

Step forward Charlton!
    You can say that again :wink:

Personally think we will be fine and win this game, the players all know its importance.
  • Options
    Enjoy the relaxation on Monday evening. It's the last day until next Monday that there are no relegation-threatened teams playing. By then, some may no longer be threatened, as they may be clear or down already. Anything other than a win at Birmingham is going to mean a tense end to the season however badly the other teams play out over the next week. I'd like to feel that we can get a result at Birmingham. Let's hope someone can do a Peter Shirtliff at St Andrews although I prefer that it wasn't left to two late goals to salvage things even though it was probably the most euphoric moment of my life. COYR.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We need to score more goals, and in the absence of the sort of strikers who can go it alone we need creative players who can set them up, and potentially add a goal or two themselves. We have three players who fit that bill; Williams, McGeady and Oztumer. Maybe four with Albie. 
    Williams and McGeady are improving with each game, and Oztumer has only just made the bench. I’d say we need to start with two of these, with the third ready to come on if required. 
    Massive game on Wednesday, and I think we’re going to need three points.
    Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past us to get a result against Leeds or Wigan. Stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Also, after three defeats in a row, I was fully expecting this kind of response and attitude heading into what is quite clearly our biggest game of the season now.

However, we are playing a poor Birmingham side who have the joint worst home record in the league, knowing only a win will do. We've got to be more positive than this, surely?
    Constantly playing the ball backwards when 1-0 down at home to an ordinary side for 85 minutes shows the lack of confidence is not just in the fans. 
    We have nothing to protect and should be on the hunt for the first goal. 
    If we go behind nowadays - we will lose. 
  • Options
    no goals equals no win.
  • Options
    We helped Middlesbrough get their first win for ages and we helped Millwall get their first win since the lockdown, why shouldn't we help Brum get their first win..........that is the Charlton way. By the way Sage, like your team, so that is not going to be LB choice
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Also, after three defeats in a row, I was fully expecting this kind of response and attitude heading into what is quite clearly our biggest game of the season now.

However, we are playing a poor Birmingham side who have the joint worst home record in the league, knowing only a win will do. We've got to be more positive than this, surely?
    have you not been a Charlton fan very long? Everything you say makes sense but history tells us it will pan out otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    errr we need GOALS to survive  .. so unless our 'strikers' come into sudden blinding form, the best we can theoretically hope for is a 0-0 which will not be good enough. WE NEED A WIN .. that is stating the bleedin' obvious
    I'd be delighted if we get a 1-0 win .. we can't let our fate be decided by other teams' results, but alas it is looking that way at the minute .. Brum are far from safe, but are in as bad form as us and Hull ..  Wigan have set out their stall out to go down (or survive) literally fighting and then Leeds  f f s  .. 

Fingers, toes, legs, arms crossed, prayers chanted on the hour every hour … Birmingham City 0 v CAFC1
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    What, with our lethal goal poaching strike force backed up by pressing and incisive midfield skill?

10 nil to the Addicks! 
  • Options
    Walk away from your lap top for 2 minutes and some deranged herbert jumps in and uses your CL account...
  • Options
    Got a really horrible feeling this will be a carbon copy of the Sheffield Wednesday away game (similarly playing this on a Wednesday isn't helping that feeling).
  • Options
    Good preview Sage, happy with that line up , 1-0 to us Pearce to the rescue again.
  • Options
    Sage said:

have you not been a Charlton fan very long? Everything you say makes sense but history tells us it will pan out otherwise.
    All I've ever known @LargeAddick and you're right. But this time I think it's going to be different, because trust me, the players are really getting up for this knowing what is at stake on Wednesday. The off field issues don't help but Bowyer has done excellently all throughout his managerial career with us to put that as much to one side as possible.

We will see on Wednesday, but to me even after recent results, we are playing a poor Birmingham side, not away at Brentford like last week where I could understand the general feeling. 
  • Options
    Villa went for it yesterday, Bournemouth went for it in the second half yesterday, Bowyer to me needs to be a bit more positive in his thinking

Hauling off Morgan for his role in us conceding a goal rather than considering the good things he was doing to try and create a goal to me shows a really negative mindset. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I think this one will end up 1-1, us losing our lead to a dodgy assistant referee decision, which piles on the pressure for our one cup final this season Charlton vs Wigan. At least this is what should happen if it is in line with every other Charlton outcome/development I have witnessed over 34 years of supporting them. Bonne responds to Bowyer with a six yard tap in.

The side should look like:

Green

Lockyer  Pearce Sarr 

Matthews                       Doughty

Cullen     Field

Williams/McGeady (pref Williams)

Hemed       Bonne
    I hope we don't see Green in goal, otherwise yes that is the line up in the original post and what I believe Bowyer will go for.
    I can only think that as I was typing I was wondering whether Andre Green would be fit for the squad. Otherwise, very odd.
  • Options
    If we were awarded a penalty who would take it and would he score?
  • Options
    If we were awarded a penalty who would take it and would he score?
    Cullen & yessssssss....!!!