Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic | Wed 15 July | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    I think this one will end up 1-1, us losing our lead to a dodgy assistant referee decision, which piles on the pressure for our one cup final this season Charlton vs Wigan. At least this is what should happen if it is in line with every other Charlton outcome/development I have witnessed over 34 years of supporting them. Bonne responds to Bowyer with a six yard tap in.

The side should look like:

Green

Lockyer  Pearce Sarr 

Matthews                       Doughty

Cullen     Field

Williams/McGeady (pref Williams)

Hemed       Bonne
    I hope we don't see Green in goal, otherwise yes that is the line up in the original post and what I believe Bowyer will go for.
    Maybe Dillon will play up front, and solve our goalscoring problems  ;)
  • Options
    I think we might get a penalty in this game. Bit of trickery from Doughty, Mcgeady or Williams. 
  • Options
    If we don’t win this one, I’m not sure we can say we deserve to stay up.  Not dismissing Brum, but the run they’ve been on and the fact we’re still in with a shot due to points deductions and other teams’ inconsistencies/lack of ability, means we have to show we’re good enough to do this without any help.

i can’t fault the efforts, the game plans and everything else that has led us to being in with a shout with 3 games to go, but the old sword of Damocles will fall if we don’t win at least one of our 3 remaining games.  

If I’m honest, I don’t think Bowyer knows how to get goals out the current squad, which is frustrating as it is clear Brum are poor at the back.  They’ve a worse goal difference than us so a win will put them right in the shit.

if we don’t win on Wednesday, I’d be looking at miracles to stay up, or staying up by default via Wigan and Wednesday possible points deductions 

We need to win, and I hope Bowyer can pick a team to do that.  Not sure that will come from a midfield of Cullen, Pratley and JFC.  It may come from a midfield of McGeady and Williams and even a front line of maybe Davison (you never know).  

If we’re lining up 5 at the back with Cullen, JFC and Pratley in the middle, I’ll start planning for Lincoln 
  • Options
    We win 0-2.
  • Options
    Recover
    Train
    Go again Three games left Nine points to play for

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Fingers crossed we're safe come the Leeds game so that Lewis Page can get a start!!
    To be honest, I wouldn’t actually be surprised to see Pagey in the squad on Wednesday ahead of Purrington. 
  • Options
    Looking at the team news for tonight

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keeps the same starting XI for the fifth game in a row.

Southampton are also unchanged.

I know some of our players are from the "reject" pile, but it's disappointing how so many of them can't seem to cope with playing regularly, even with 5 subs allowed. With Phillips, Pearce and Lockyer likely to play the full 90 every match barring injury, that's 5 subs for 8 players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know some of our players are from the "reject" pile, but it's disappointing how so many of them can't seem to cope with playing regularly, even with 5 subs allowed. With Phillips, Pearce and Lockyer likely to play the full 90 every match barring injury, that's 5 subs for 8 players.
    Cullen can play 90 minutes every game as could Gallagher.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    ross1 said:
    Fingers crossed we're safe come the Leeds game so that Lewis Page can get a start!!
    To be honest, I wouldn’t actually be surprised to see Pagey in the squad on Wednesday ahead of Purrington. 
    Inside knowledge or just the fact that Purrington hasnt been involved the last few games himself? 
  • Options

But most of their players are not made of crepe paper and unicorn belly button fluff!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    ross1 said:
    Inside knowledge or just the fact that Purrington hasnt been involved the last few games himself? 
    Just a hunch. 
  • Options
    1-2 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Birmingham 1 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    I think we'll get a result. Past 3 games all could have gone the other way for us bar a few bad decisions or poor finishing.

Hemed to score and it'll be one of the most important goals for us for a long time. 
  • Options
    Hope i'm wrong but i fear the worst. 2-0 Birmingham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very early preview!

I'm quietly confident about this, as Birmingham have been terrible since the restart, and yesterday was surely the game where they'd turn it around, and they didn't. An extra day's rest for us when compared to them either, so no excuse for our players not having more energy than theirs, as they don't have a big squad to rotate players.

But we've got to be positive, we can't fill the side with grafters and defensive players as we need to create chances and score. Yes we don't have good finishers, but we need to create more chances and have more shots on goal. This is a must win game, 3 points on Wednesday and we can afford to be more cautious against Wigan

Birmingham's last 4 results are
    0-3
    0-1
    1-3
    0-2
    Our last 4 results are
    0-0
    0-1
    1-2
    0-1

Two teams who struggle to score, but whereas we've let in 4 goals, they've let in 9

So they are going to get minus 2 whilst we get minus 1 goal. I will take that.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We need to score more goals, and in the absence of the sort of strikers who can go it alone we need creative players who can set them up, and potentially add a goal or two themselves. We have three players who fit that bill; Williams, McGeady and Oztumer. Maybe four with Albie. 
    Williams and McGeady are improving with each game, and Oztumer has only just made the bench. I’d say we need to start with two of these, with the third ready to come on if required. 
    Massive game on Wednesday, and I think we’re going to need three points.
    Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past us to get a result against Leeds or Wigan. Stranger things have happened.
    Whole heartedly agree. We have to score at least once so we have to include midfielders who not only run with the ball but can score. Both Oztumer & McGeady fill this role & have records to prove it. Maybe even play with just 1 up front & pack the midfield with runners & tell them to run at their defence. 

It's all or nothing.

Sadly, however, Bows will play it safe & we will end up losing. If you are Birmingham then there is one team you want to be playing right now. Us. 

1-0 to the Blues.
  • Options
    we need 1 win from the next 3 and i think will be enough, perfect oppo for us as they are in free fall. praying that oshilaja is no where near the team, drop bonne as confidence is likely shot to pieces, play mcgeady and think he will get a goal. 
  • Options
    I'm strangely confident for this one.

Bowyer will know they have to go for it. You can't play safe and hope to nick a point when you're bang in trouble, there's only 3 games left and one is away at Leeds.

On paper, given the form of our opponents, this is the most winnable of our remaining games. We have to attack.

Birmingham 1 Charlton 2
  • Options
    Season defining game as I think we’ll lose the next two. Please Bow, go for it. I know there is precious little available in terms of decent strikers but at the very least please pick a midfield that gives us some forward impetus. I’d almost rather risk losing heavily getting picked off on the counter than sit back going for a 1-0.  But then again, do we have the tools?  
  • Options
    Probably an obvious point, but the first goal will be absolutely vital. 

Not only because we don't score many, but because we haven't conceded first and then gone onto win a game all season.

Not to mention that us scoring first will certainly not help an already fragile Birmingham side.
  • Options
    Had a dream last night. 3 - 0 Charlton. The third goal went in during injury time at the end of the game.
  • Options
    Season defining game as I think we’ll lose the next two. Please Bow, go for it. I know there is precious little available in terms of decent strikers but at the very least please pick a midfield that gives us some forward impetus. I’d almost rather risk losing heavily getting picked off on the counter than sit back going for a 1-0.  But then again, do we have the tools?  
    This 110%.... that midfield choice will most certainly define us...

It has to be an attacking formation and we must run at their defence... Doughy has to start and after Williams previous performances try starting with Otzumer...after 3 defeats this has to change. Also, please don't pick Chunks and maybe try Davison instead of Hemed or Bonne. Yes.... I'm grasping at straws but if we go down then please let's do it fighting all the way. 

My fear though is LB will set up not to lose which will fail in my opinion, badly.

• Options
    even though Birmingham are quite possibly the most shittest side i have seen since lockdown i still think we will struggle to score against them. be hopeful for a draw. 
  • Options
    Literally nothing but a win is acceptable for this game.