Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Just been told that his injury is thankfully not that serious, should only be out for approx two to four weeks.
    Not been told exactly what the injury is but something akin to a bad sprain.
    As regards him being in bed in the afternoon, he’s got an injured foot so obviously doesn’t ‘want’ or ‘need’ to be up and about.
    The world outside his front door isn’t an exactly welcoming place right now, cold, gloomy plus lockdown....tucked up in bed with his laptop and TV is just about as good a place as he realistically can be right now.
    Some folk dissing him are quite pathetic!🤨🧐
    He was up and about walking round Greenwich the other day.
    Anyway, personally I don't care what he does, I'm certainly not being critical.

But I do think a professional footballer/athlete is not helping their professional look by posting photos of themself eating pizza, out on the town in the early hours and in bed in the middle of the afternoon, when there isn't good reason.

If anyone thinks his posts are career enhancing then I'm fine with that. 
  • Just been told that his injury is thankfully not that serious, should only be out for approx two to four weeks.
    As regards him being in bed in the afternoon, he’s got an injured foot so obviously doesn’t ‘want’ or ‘need’ to be up and about.
    The world outside his front door isn’t an exactly welcoming place right now, cold, gloomy plus lockdown....tucked up in bed with his laptop and TV is just about as good a place as he realistically can be right now.

But I do think a professional footballer/athlete is not helping their professional look by posting photos of themself eating pizza, out on the town in the early hours and in bed in the middle of the afternoon, when there isn't good reason.

I mean, there IS fairly good reason - he can't do much in the way of training with his injury and there's fuck all else he CAN do right now.

In a non-lockdown world I could see the point but in the circumstances I don't think it's as bad as all that.
  • I don't know what Maddison is like off the pitch anymore than anyone on here.
    But I do know his posts seem to be saying look at me, I don't take my profession as seriously as I should.
    If he's injured he'll likely be being told to rest up... Being in bed in the afternoon whilst likely unable to be weight-bearing isn't exactly the end of the world. 

Once swelling has reduced and scan results are back, he'll be back working with a physio to sort his ankle.

It tells us nothing regards how seriously he takes his profession. Neither does eating pizza or staying up late on nights before non-match days or after games. 

It's just his life, if you think other footballers don't do the same and their managers are magically unaware of their behaviours, you're being deluded. The only difference we have is Marcus lets the fans see what he's like. 
  • Really can’t see the problem if all he’s doing is lounging given that he’s injured. We’re on lockdown, it’s flipping freezing so what else is there to do? I’m on leave from work this week and have to admit I’m spending more time in my pyjamas and a hoodie than fully dressed so maybe I should be worried I might get hung, drawn and quartered by some offended Lifer.
  • edited January 2021
    People seem to be misunderstanding my posts. 
    Firstly, as I've said he was walking in Greenwich, so not sure how that fits in with being told to rest up.

Secondly, I don't doubt many others eat pizza, are out in the early hours or in bed in the afternoon, as I said, my point being, is posting this career enhancing?

If so, can someone explain to me the benefits to his career?

This is my point, I don't care personally I am not criticising him, but he is leaving himself open to criticism from some (not me).

Why would a person do that?
    Is it a form of self harm, is it a cry for help because he is lonely?

He must he aware of his actions, so it is a deliberate choice. 
  • We've been brainwashed to now think we are lucky a player is only out for 4 weeks!

Glad it's just a sprain and I agree, he is getting some strange feedback from people on this thread. As the infamous phrase suggests, it tells more about those saying these things than about the person they are saying it about. He's done nothing but try to get us a goal through assists or goals when coming on as a sub. 

•    Covered End said:
    Just been told that his injury is thankfully not that serious, should only be out for approx two to four weeks.

Hi Lee.
    But I do know his posts seem to be saying look at me, I don't take my profession as seriously as I should.

We can and do debate how harmful or not  his posts are to his career.
    But does anyone think it's career enhancing for a professional footballer to post about being out in the middle of the night, eating pizza, being in bed in the afternoon? 

It suggests to me that his behaviour is some form of self harming. 
    This the same Marcus Maddison who played for a local non league side in Peterborough a few months back in a bid to help himself get some match fitness? 

The pizza thing has been done to death on here, who gives a shit if a player has a pizza on a weekend after a game. Do you seriously think every pro player eats chicken, rice and broccoli every day of the week? 

But does anyone think it's career enhancing for a professional footballer to post about being out in the middle of the night, eating pizza, being in bed in the afternoon? 

This the same Marcus Maddison who played for a local non league side in Peterborough a few months back in a bid to help himself get some match fitness? 

The pizza thing has been done to death on here, who gives a shit if a player has a pizza on a weekend after a game. Do you seriously think every pro player eats chicken, rice and broccoli every day of the week? 
    The old CRB meal is outdated having been proven to be deficient in micronutrients, but your point is spot on. Most players enjoy cheat meals, most athletes do. 

I mean Usain Bolt could eat chicken nuggets pre-races and break world records, it didn't damage him to talk about it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know what Maddison is like off the pitch anymore than anyone on here.

The old CRB meal is outdated having been proven to be deficient in micronutrients, but your point is spot on. Most players enjoy cheat meals, most athletes do. 

I mean Usain Bolt could eat chicken nuggets pre-races and break world records, it didn't damage him to talk about it...
    If he was stuffing a large pizza down every day then I think we'd have grounds to worry...

And let's be honest, he's not even trying!

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/8-times-dwayne-rock-johnson-was-cheat-meal-god/

"The Rock famously adheres to a strict diet, except when cheat day rolls around. Then, he lives like a king and eats like an entire army. From sushi-filled plates bigger than your face to mounds of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, his cheat meals are the stuff of dreams."
  • People seem to be misunderstanding my posts. 
    Firstly, as I've said he was walking in Greenwich, so not sure how that fits in with being told to rest up.

Secondly, I don't doubt many others eat pizza, are out in the early hours or in bed in the afternoon, as I said, my point being, is posting this career enhancing?

If so, can someone explain to me the benefits to his career?

This is my point, I don't care personally I am not criticising him, but he is leaving himself open to criticism from some (not me).

Why would a person do that?
    Is it a form of self harm, is it a cry for help because he is lonely?

He must he aware of his actions, so it is a deliberate choice. 
    It does not enhance his career but I very much doubt it damages it much either. Far more players than not would probably do the same thing in his position - the fitness obsessed types are rarer than we think.

And again, it's mid lockdown. He's got nothing else to do and if he isn't training he's probably not going to see anyone to talk to. Social media is his main way of communicating at the moment. Even if you don't agree with it it's hardly worth castigating someone over wanting to communicate right now.
  • 995632 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If he was stuffing a large pizza down every day then I think we'd have grounds to worry...

And let's be honest, he's not even trying!

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/8-times-dwayne-rock-johnson-was-cheat-meal-god/

"The Rock famously adheres to a strict diet, except when cheat day rolls around. Then, he lives like a king and eats like an entire army. From sushi-filled plates bigger than your face to mounds of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, his cheat meals are the stuff of dreams."
    Yeah Dwayne Johnson also consumes plenty of juicy fruits too ;)
  • edited January 2021
    Just been told that his injury is thankfully not that serious, should only be out for approx two to four weeks.

I don’t think his being in bed at this time is going to enhance his career......neither do I think it’s going to hinder his career, he’s just in f’ing bed for gods sake......I don’t see why you should be surprised.
    However I do see that stuffing his face with pizza at some unearthly hour of the morning isn’t something a top professional athlete should be thinking of doing........and a bit strange that he would advertise the fact.
    I suspect though, that many pro sports personnel have a few dietary lapses once in a while but sensibly keep it to themself.

I don’t think his being in bed at this time is going to enhance his career......neither do I think it’s going to hinder his career, he’s just in f’ing bed for gods sake......I don’t see why you should be surprised.
    However I do see that stuffing his face with pizza at some unearthly hour of the morning isn’t something a top professional athlete should be thinking of doing........and a bit strange that he would advertise the fact.
    I suspect though, that many pro sports personnel have a few dietary lapses once in a while but sensibly keep it to themself.
    His sleeping patterns will probably be of more concern to the Charlton medical/fitness staff, rather than the pizza itself
  • Really can’t see the problem if all he’s doing is lounging given that he’s injured. We’re on lockdown, it’s flipping freezing so what else is there to do? I’m on leave from work this week and have to admit I’m spending more time in my pyjamas and a hoodie than fully dressed so maybe I should be worried I might get hung, drawn and quartered by some offended Lifer.
    You'll be alright mate they've done away with corporal punishment, haven't they 😉.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Remember our nippy little striker, Paul Williams, erm .......  only 3 decades ago? :smile:

I remember him telling us on Clubcall that his pre-match meal was a load of sweets, the more E-numbers the better!

It seemed to work for him, scored 20 goals for us that season in the top tier 1st Division, England B/U-21 caps (or something) then flogged to Sheff Weds for a million smackers to pay the bills.

• Blokes a drama queen.
  • Sponsored links:

• He is currently 2nd
  • Very surprised this is decided by a twitter vote lol, seems like a team like Crewe even if it was the best goal would have little chance of winning based on following and Portsmouth could have been a tap in and would likely win
    Yeah I hate the twitter polls... Saw a vote for the Player of the Round in the FA Cup and was dominated by fans of the top six voting for their own player, when Ashley Nadesan @ Crawley should easily have been the choice given the fact he's a League Two player who just embarrassed a Premier League team!!

On that basis voted for the Crewe goal myself

In all honesty, Maddison's is good but the other two are a lot better
  • edited January 2021
    e.g. Seriously... How can an Arsenal player be Player of the Round, it was one of the worst games!!

• Very surprised this is decided by a twitter vote lol, seems like a team like Crewe even if it was the best goal would have little chance of winning based on following and Portsmouth could have been a tap in and would likely win
    I'm sure the Crewe lad will get Lee Bowyer's vote  ;)
  • Blokes a drama queen.
    Fans here are the drama queens ! All the fella does is post about his day
  • 1 year deal?

I thought we were past all the silly short term deals and wanted to build for the future.
    We have option for a 2nd year.
    Sounds good to me, you don't want him on  a 3 year deal "if he explodes" after 3 months.
    He's volatile we know that.
    Hmm.