Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC PLAYER - £10

Does the service offer value for money?

I think it is questionable. I've not seen any of the Prem PPV matches, but would be Intrested to know how they compare (£12.50).

As much as I like Terry and Greg, they are fans and not media trained commentators.

I know the expense of pro camera, sound and mixers and they do not come cheap. I've briefly seen the 'ifollow' breakdown and it isn't straightforward.

My guess is would be close to 10k watching the Pompey match online today.

The audio was amateur last Tuesday, the vision mixing was amateur today.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Today was one of the worst in terms of replays and focusing on players without the ball meaning we missed what was going on. 

I think £10 is too much but then I’m at home paying £10 every Saturday and Tuesday so maybe it’s not. 
  • Having listened to the supposedly 'professional' commentators from BBC radio Northampton last week I think ours do a much better job. 
  • Having listened to the supposedly 'professional' commentators from BBC radio Northampton last week I think ours do a much better job. 
    Bit harsh on Mendez!!
  • Today was a shocker for camera work and direction, but the commentary is second to none.
  • One big difference is that for PPV you need to have access to Sky already and that is not the case for our player. I've actually just written a peice on PPV that goes out tomo. The difference between them is chalk and cheese
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s very Charlton is what I would say. Everything is a bit shoddy but it’s quaint and nowhere near as sanitised as a Premier League PPV. 

The overall production value is quite poor, I’m not sure if they get the picture straight from iFollow but it’s I assume they get local uni students to sort out the camera work. 

Greg is good value and Tel hasn’t got a clue what’s happening 99% of the time, but I certainly wouldn’t swap them for anyone else.
  • The camerawork today was poor.

• I think £10 is fair. Way too many replays shown whilst play is ongoing plus the EFL logo after each one - why?
  • How many threads are there about paying a tenner.
    Its embarrassing 

• Today there seemed to be multiple cameras, in commentary there was mention of Ian Darke, a tv commentator, so perhaps this match was being beamed abroad, this must cause a problem for our commentary team as they have no access to what the cameras are showing.
  • It's alright and I suppose £10 it's probably about right too.

Today was shocking with the replays though. Happened time and time again. Amateurish.
  • I have twitter up on my PC at the same time and Louis Mendez tweets are usually around 45 secs before the action for £10 they really should be implementing low latency streaming options. Other than that no complaints. 
  • Sponsored links:

• £10 for one person isn’t great value. If 2/3 people are watching it together then it is. I’ve only watched the last 5 so obviously can’t stop now for obvious reasons! 
  • £10 for one person isn’t great value. If 2/3 people are watching it together then it is. I’ve only watched the last 5 so obviously can’t stop now for obvious reasons! 
    Why is it not good value? Im  confused with how many people on here are complaining 
  • @DagenhamAddick is the first one to point out its biggest flaw.......its almost a minute behind real time. Too many times last season Golfie Jnr got a tweet from the official CAFC twitter saying we had conceded a goal/pen etc when on our tv screen nothing of the sort was happening. Although £10 per match is  nothing when compared to what you would have to fork out to go to an away game I still don't think it is worth it when (currently) Sky will usually have someone at the game & will show you the goals within a minute or two. 

We watch the home games as we can swap our CAFC cash for those but it is still not great viewing, mainly due to the previously mentioned delays & dodgy camera work. Then there was the dodgy darlek sound quality last Tuesday & the freezing/buffering issues  - we lost the picture for a few minutes on Tuesday towards the end of the first half, to come back to the free kick that Shinnie scored from. 10 seconds later & we would have missed it.

5/10  - could do better.
  • edited October 2020
    £10 for one person isn’t great value. If 2/3 people are watching it together then it is. I’ve only watched the last 5 so obviously can’t stop now for obvious reasons! 
    Why is it not good value? Im  confused with how many people on here are complaining 
    I think because when you compare it to the price of a match ticket, the difference isn’t that great, whereas the stream should be a lot less than seeing the real live experience. Getting the monthly season ticket refunds allows you to do a direct comparison - (in my case) £17/£10.

It’s not a bad service and I certainly wouldn’t blame the commentary team, but £10 for (often) poor camerawork, replays that leave a lot to be desired, regular audio issues, commentators who can be quite limited, the time delay of at least a minute (despite regular refreshes) and recurring login issues can make it seem quite steep.
  • JaShea99 said:
    £10 for one person isn’t great value. If 2/3 people are watching it together then it is. I’ve only watched the last 5 so obviously can’t stop now for obvious reasons! 
    I think because when you compare it to the price of a match ticket, the difference isn’t that great, whereas the stream should be a lot less than seeing the real live experience. Getting the monthly season ticket refunds allows you to do a direct comparison - (in my case) £17/£10.

It’s not a bad service and I certainly wouldn’t blame the commentary team, but £10 for (often) poor camerawork, replays that leave a lot to be desired, regular audio issues, commentators who can be quite limited, the time delay of at least a minute (despite regular refreshes) and recurring login issues can make it seem quite steep.
    Don't pay then its simple 
  • JaShea99 said:

Don't pay then its simple 
    Is that directed at me??
  • edited October 2020
    Happy to pay it given circumstances. I enjoy the commmentary  but the streaming software is pretty basic for what is quite a high price point for a streaming product. 

E.g. is it too much to ask to watch the match ‘on demand’ (i.e if I want to start the stream at 5pm, or I am abroad and want to watch it when I wake up rather than the middle of the night, I can watch ‘as live’ then),

or

rewind the stream yourself mid-game so you can see contentious incidents again and/or look at things you may have missed? 
  • I loved how they zoomed in on a Portsmouth defender while the game was going on, plus a number of similar instances. What goes through these camera operators brains?! 

Commentary is alright though I do shake my head quite often at what Terry says (sorry).