Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC PLAYER - £10

Comments

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    I'm being driven insane by all the multiple, default replays, mostly of incidents not of any note and we're missing the action while this lunacy goes on - even a Charlton free kick yesterday!

However, I'm very grateful to be able to see all the games and think at a tenner is ok in the circumstances.

I hope these games continue in lockdown, and that we creep into the top two before any possible scrapping of the season.

I would not bother with even having a replay system in place simply add a DVR option to the stream which you can use at your hearts content like Youtube live and Facebook live provide. That of course coupled with the service not actually being up to minute behind in realtime. The tech is there now with web RTC and low latency for it to be only 3-4 seconds behind now. But that does' omit a delay dump option of course:)
  • Options
    https://www.one2football.com/post/pay-per-view-the-most-horrid-halloween-trick - sorry to be pushing my stuff but I hope this illustrates my point about the difference between the two schemes as I said earlier in the thread
  • Options
    I'm happy to pay the fee (now Roland's pushed to one side) and support Thomas in this small way.
    Happy with the commentary, and find the picture quality at least adequate. The ads, and the fact our commentators don't have any idea when they're being interrupted, irritate me but I suppose are a necessary evil.

The one significant change I would like is that once the fee is paid that the match can be watched at any time within say a 24 or 48 hour period. I'd either like the chance to watch again, or to watch it on a catch up basis as occasionally other things clash with a three o clock kick off, especially now the days are short. That dog still wants walking...
  • Options
    I think it is good value and have watched every game since lockdown. I really hope it continues once grounds re open as it will mean people like me can carry on watching every game live when that just isnt possible without this service
  • Options
    Slightly off topic........

Anyone know why there are no tickets for sale on the OS. I went on there earlier to buy the 2 game package of home games on November only to find no tickets for sale at all. Don't tell me they've been pulled already.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    When IFollow Valley player was brought in it was to allow fans abroad to watch games, additionally people with VPNs were able to watch the games in the UK too. 
    It was never meant to be used like it has had to be.
    its not a sky sports production ( good they have to many replays and a load of over paid ex pros that talk crap )  but it’s a way to watch Charlton and is all there is at the moment. It’s also probably one of the clubs biggest income streams at the moment and is helping towards the bills. 
    Yes it’s not perfect and it’s never going to replace being at the game but we can watch our team.
    i dislike most TV commentaries as they talk a load of Bollox but our guys are Charlton fans and although they could be a little more biased I think they are doing a great job. 
    Rather than moaning let’s be thankful we have a way to watch the team at the moment, it wasn’t so long ago we thought we may not have a team to watch. 
    Who's moaning? The original poster asked for views.

Sorry should have been clear my comments weren’t aimed at the original poster. 
    It was more around the gripes Being raised around It costing  £10, camera work, replays  and sound issues. 

Agree with some not perfect and I have had a few initial problems with sound, buffering etc but last few games have been good from that perspective. 

My view For what it’s worth Is that as a Charlton fan it is worth the ten pounds To be able to watch my team. My season ticket money is covering the home games and I would have spent more than the £230 to cover the away games going to a few aways (the only away I wouldn’t have done in normal circumstances so far would have been Blackpool). I will continue to stream each game but as soon as we are allowed and it is safe to do so I will be back at the Valley and various grounds.

have said before it is all we have at the moment and I for one am very grateful it’s available. 
  • Options

Anyone know why there are no tickets for sale on the OS. I went on there earlier to buy the 2 game package of home games on November only to find no tickets for sale at all. Don't tell me they've been pulled already.
    Were you looking here golfie?
  • Options
    Have only watched one game so far, which we lost, so am avoiding it in case I jinx us! Camera work was a bit shoddy, but not too bad, the commentators were good I thought. 10 quid is decent value. You can barely get two pints for that in London these days tbf.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I watch a game from a Charlton bias, and find it good to have a bit of that in the commentators. 
  • Options
    I quite like the commentary.

It's as biased as anything I've listened to, but when it's not possible to go to games it's as close to the real experience as you're going to get.

It's not professional, or even "good" IMO but it's exactly the style I want to listen to - it's just like a mate of yours moaning about the ref etc at a game!

The replays were shocking on Saturday, though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also celebrated my first goal since February with my old man the other day when we beat Blackpool.

That alone was worth a tenner!
  • Options

I got that message last night, but once I logged in it was available.
  • Options
    Off topic a bit and probably a right divvy question. I normally just purchase through Valley Pass direct as was saving my CAFC Cash to buy a shirt, then realised it can't be used in the club shop. Bought tomorrow's game using CAFC Cash and received an email receipt. Do I get sent a voucher before tomorrow night to access the game?
  • Options
    Just wanted to say, living oop North means I very rarely get to watch the mighty reds at the valley (although there are lots of dirty northern sides I’ve seen us play away at) — so being able to get my fix for a tenner each week has been brilliant. I can see the problems with letting it continue when grounds are open again, but I’d be sad to see it go.

Also I really enjoy the commentary...
  • Options
    Just re-read on the website. I have to wait for a code Tuesday morning then..... :D 
  • Options
    Overall, I think they do a good job, it’s also very difficult I would assume to commentate when there’s no crowd to go with them.

Sometimes they get things wrong or say the wrong players name, but they also don’t have the benefit of replays too.

They don’t control the picture or the sound, that’s from the technical side.

Do I think £10 is fairly priced to watch each game from home? Honestly, no I think it’s a bit on the expensive side.

£7 would be the most I would charge. Over the course of a season, if you were to buy on a game by game basis, £320 is far better value than £460.
  • Options
    Was pleased that my youngest kept quiet when we got our second at Pompey, he was watching something else and our goal flashed up on his phone - he had to wait a couple of minutes to watch the old man celebrate.

Tip - if you have ssn on in background - delay for a couple of minutes.

£10 I think is fair, and I mostly watch on my own, couple of others watching it is great value.
  • Options
    Watched every game so far (except the Brighton U-21 match) and have no complaints whatsoever.

Appreciate if you have a young family, mortgage to pay etc or you are furloughed then it might be a decision as to whether you pay £10. But for those who aren't in those difficult circumstances I can't see what the problem is in paying a tenner - after all it's less than a couple of pints down the pub.

And I enjoy the coverage. I think Greg and Terry are a good pairing and Terry always makes me laugh at how he thinks every decision should go Charlton's way! 

Actually, I'll go further. This live streaming of matches should carry on after fans are back in the ground. Sadly, the days of me wanting to plough my way across London for every game are over but I'll quite happily pay to watch them on a stream.

Hope it doesn’t as the crowds would dwindle, particularly in the lower leagues. 
    But would it?

Most people would still prefer to go in person - you've only got to read the comments on here. If I was 10 years younger and TfL hadn't made it impossible to drive across central London so would I. But times change - since I gave my season ticket up 4 years ago I've just got out of the habit of going week in, week out and much as I love Charlton, I can't ever see me doing it again. But I still want to see the games - so why not let me pay something to watch them?

Also, how many more fans would be able to watch our away games with live streaming? Not everyone wants to spend a day and loads of money travelling up to Blackburn. 

People said televising football live would kill it. It didn't. Live streaming is the future and we should embrace it and make it work for the clubs.
    Went to Blackburn last year, stayed up 2 nights in the same hotel as the team. Much better than streaming. 
    2 nights in Blackburn?! Lord, don't tell me you stayed for 3 nights in Oldham when we played them! :-)

Anyway, each to their own. If you enjoyed your trip, good luck to you. But for me paying a tenner, sitting in the comfort of my own home instead of ploughing my way up a grossly overcrowded M1/M6 or paying through the nose for a rail ticket to visit some bitterly cold Northern outpost wins every time.  
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited November 2020
    When IFollow Valley player was brought in it was to allow fans abroad to watch games, additionally people with VPNs were able to watch the games in the UK too. 
    It was never meant to be used like it has had to be.
    its not a sky sports production ( good they have to many replays and a load of over paid ex pros that talk crap )  but it’s a way to watch Charlton and is all there is at the moment. It’s also probably one of the clubs biggest income streams at the moment and is helping towards the bills. 
    Yes it’s not perfect and it’s never going to replace being at the game but we can watch our team.
    i dislike most TV commentaries as they talk a load of Bollox but our guys are Charlton fans and although they could be a little more biased I think they are doing a great job. 
    Rather than moaning let’s be thankful we have a way to watch the team at the moment, it wasn’t so long ago we thought we may not have a team to watch. 
    And the very reason it was for fans abroad only was to make sure the gates were minimally affected. So, unfortunately for local viewers, it is highly unlikely that UK viewing will be allowed once the crowds are back. 
    Living abroad this is a service I rely on. As has been said, it has its problems but, in general, I’m well pleased. Greg and Terry do a great job although the ref bashing from Terry does get a bit tedious sometimes. 
  • Options
    I wondered how much of the tenner the club gets and a friend, who is a Carlisle fan said Carlisle get £8 - I assume that's the same for all clubs. If that is the case, then at least we know the club is seeing most of the money. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I found out on here (thanks for that) that if I buy the game, another person can watch on that account. I had been buying games for my son who is at Uni, so this will save me a few quid. I didn't begrudge paying £20 so £10 for two people is great value. 

I think something the club should try to do is appeal to those that are not so technically minded. An app that tests your internet/hardware can run it. Advice how you can change the quality to match your speeds etc... I know it has its hands tied, but a cheap game would probably gain viewers as once people know it works and how to do it, they are more likely to do it again. Maybe the EFL trophy game could be £1 or 50p if it was allowed. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Spot on Croydon.

I too have Twitter rolling while I’m tuned into my brother through my earpiece.

And when I see that beautiful red Mendez goal gif go out, I await with baited breath my brothers eternal giddiness of when we score (usually 40 odd seconds later).

Never ceases to make me smile 😊
  • Options
    I find it irritating watching a game when I know I will find out a goal has been scored a minute or so before. It all feels a bit pointless. Like you know a move is going to come to nothing. You are watching a live game in a different way to watching highlights. It was a good tip to freeze SSN for the delay in the game if you want to follow other scores. And don't look at your phone. :) 
  • Options
    I find it irritating watching a game when I know I will find out a goal has been scored a minute or so before. It all feels a bit pointless. Like you know a move is going to come to nothing. You are watching a live game in a different way to watching highlights. It was a good tip to freeze SSN for the delay in the game if you want to follow other scores. And don't look at your phone. :) 
    I turn on Do Not Disturb during games as I hate the delay... I also often don't refresh the match thread unless I am delivering an update. Which is why sometimes I seem mega delayed. 
  • Options
    Last season it was 7 quid for us international viewers to watch championship football but now its 10 quid for league one on VP. An increase of nearly 50%. I can't watch every game so the 195 quid is not worth it for me plus I am not working. I honestly think 5 quid is what its worth. I can watch every Prem game over here in USA for $4.99 per month. 
  • Options
    Watched every game so far (except the Brighton U-21 match) and have no complaints whatsoever.

Appreciate if you have a young family, mortgage to pay etc or you are furloughed then it might be a decision as to whether you pay £10. But for those who aren't in those difficult circumstances I can't see what the problem is in paying a tenner - after all it's less than a couple of pints down the pub.

And I enjoy the coverage. I think Greg and Terry are a good pairing and Terry always makes me laugh at how he thinks every decision should go Charlton's way! 

Actually, I'll go further. This live streaming of matches should carry on after fans are back in the ground. Sadly, the days of me wanting to plough my way across London for every game are over but I'll quite happily pay to watch them on a stream.

It’s been available pre lockdown - you just need VPN and it’s £5 a game. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Last season it was 7 quid for us international viewers to watch championship football but now its 10 quid for league one on VP. An increase of nearly 50%. I can't watch every game so the 195 quid is not worth it for me plus I am not working. I honestly think 5 quid is what its worth. I can watch every Prem game over here in USA for $4.99 per month. 
    Last season it was £5 and this season it started at £7, you can thank VPN users for that. (Me)

The $4.99 you pay is that a true tv service or an IPTV service?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Last season it was £5 and this season it started at £7, you can thank VPN users for that. (Me)

The $4.99 you pay is that a true tv service or an IPTV service?
    Peacock (NBC) is $4.99 per month and NBC Sports is part of my cable service and they switch between both channels