Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC PLAYER - £10

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    It is odd end of. Just don't pay ffs
    Why are you telling people not to pay for it? They can still watch it but think it could be better, can't they?

It's like if you paid £10 for a BJ. The quality probably ain't gonna be great and the bird will probably be a crack-addled skank, but it's still a BJ, right?
    But you wouldn't go back would you if its shit. If you think its shit and keep going back moaning about it being shit is just weird.
    But it's still a BJ!
  • Options
    Having listened to the supposedly 'professional' commentators from BBC radio Northampton last week I think ours do a much better job. 
    Bit harsh on Mendez!!
    I’m not on Radio Northampton! 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Off_it said:
    It is odd end of. Just don't pay ffs
    Why are you telling people not to pay for it? They can still watch it but think it could be better, can't they?

It's like if you paid £10 for a BJ. The quality probably ain't gonna be great and the bird will probably be a crack-addled skank, but it's still a BJ, right?
    I dunno, the giver is likely to have no teeth (probably Millwall) at that price, so would be a better experience.... that’s what @ElfsborgAddick reckons anyway. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    I can’t tell if you’re being deliberately obtuse or just keep missing the point. If it’s the latter, I suggest you go back to the opening post and literally read the first line.
    Is it value for money? Yes in my opinion. I aint falling out over difference in opinion. I am allowed mine.
    Great. Yes you’re allowed your opinion as everyone is. At one point you said you were confused as to why people think it’s not value for money. I and others offered many reasons for this and instead of addressing any of them, or providing your own reasons why you think it IS value for money, you responded with “don’t pay it”. 

Then you suggested it was similar to paying to watch the same crap film. Again, I and others explained why that was a stupid analogy. I even suggested it’s not the same because most people don’t feel a sense of loyalty and allegiance to those involved in making a film. You responded with “CAFC is our allegiance”. Either intentionally or unintentionally proving the point that it’s not a fair comparison. 
    You’ve also used the word ‘embarrassing’ several times. Do you mean you find it embarrassing that people would complain about paying £10 for something? Surely you understand the difference between not being able to afford/willing to pay for something and finding that thing value for money? If it cost £3 but the picture constantly buffered and the drilling noise played for the whole 90 minutes, I’d still say it wasn’t value for money because the money I’d be paying wouldn’t match the level of service received. It doesn’t matter whether £3 or £10 is a lot of money to you or not. On the other hand if it cost £20 per game I’d still pay it. Because personally, I have to watch the team, by any means necessary. But it still wouldn’t make it value for money.
  • Options
    If I payed 10 quid for a film I was interested in but didn't like it after watching, I wouldn't keep paying a tenner to watch the same film. 
    Its odd that people keep paying and moaning.  
    Quite possibly the worst analogy i've ever heard
    Worst ever is harsh but yeh it was a crap one
  • Options
    It’s a life saver for Addicks abroad - I’m especially happy that I can now pull it up via the web browser on my TV. 

Price is about right in my book. I don’t go into it expecting a multi-million production. Most of the issues are not the fault of the CAFC team so any annoyances (audio sync, picture quality...) should be directed at iFollow.
  • Options
    Watched every game so far (except the Brighton U-21 match) and have no complaints whatsoever.

Appreciate if you have a young family, mortgage to pay etc or you are furloughed then it might be a decision as to whether you pay £10. But for those who aren't in those difficult circumstances I can't see what the problem is in paying a tenner - after all it's less than a couple of pints down the pub.

And I enjoy the coverage. I think Greg and Terry are a good pairing and Terry always makes me laugh at how he thinks every decision should go Charlton's way! 

Actually, I'll go further. This live streaming of matches should carry on after fans are back in the ground. Sadly, the days of me wanting to plough my way across London for every game are over but I'll quite happily pay to watch them on a stream.

Hope it doesn’t as the crowds would dwindle, particularly in the lower leagues. 
  • Options
    Is the infrastructure in place to have these games broadcast in HD?
    It's not quite as bad as watching a CAM film, its still pretty poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's my attempt at a poor analogy. Imagine you're addicted to something slightly niche like Weetabix. The only shops that sell it are an hour+ drive away which isn't worth it however your local shop 5 minutes walk up the round does sell it, but at 3x RRP. You know this is poor value, but there's nowhere else to go and you figure the joy of eating Weetabix is to some degree worth the very expensive cost. 

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I can’t tell if you’re being deliberately obtuse or just keep missing the point. If it’s the latter, I suggest you go back to the opening post and literally read the first line.
    Is it value for money? Yes in my opinion. I aint falling out over difference in opinion. I am allowed mine.
    Great. Yes you’re allowed your opinion as everyone is. At one point you said you were confused as to why people think it’s not value for money. I and others offered many reasons for this and instead of addressing any of them, or providing your own reasons why you think it IS value for money, you responded with “don’t pay it”. 

Then you suggested it was similar to paying to watch the same crap film. Again, I and others explained why that was a stupid analogy. I even suggested it’s not the same because most people don’t feel a sense of loyalty and allegiance to those involved in making a film. You responded with “CAFC is our allegiance”. Either intentionally or unintentionally proving the point that it’s not a fair comparison. 
    You’ve also used the word ‘embarrassing’ several times. Do you mean you find it embarrassing that people would complain about paying £10 for something? Surely you understand the difference between not being able to afford/willing to pay for something and finding that things value for money? If it cost £3 but the picture constantly buffered and the drilling noise played for the whole 90 minutes, I’d still say it wasn’t value for money because the money I’d be paying wouldn’t match the level of service received. It doesn’t matter whether £3 or £10 is a lot of money to you or not. On the other hand if it cost £20 per game I’d still pay it. Because personally, I have to watch the team, by any means necessary. But it still wouldn’t make it value for money.
    The picture quality was not great the first few games i agree. I don't fucking work for ifollow and I'm not saying its amazing but its getting better. I'm not here to promote anything just don't  understand why so many people are moaning about paying 10 quid. Its not directed at you but there are a lot of threads with the same thing.
    Don't pay if you think its not worth it. I don't really know what else to say on it
  • Options
    Think it's pretty good, raised by the commentators and watching highlights after. The director who cuts the replays is shocking, and the sound issues this season have been annoying, but given the whole family can watch for a tenner that's good value. It wasn't against Sunderland... 
  • Options
    Watched every game so far (except the Brighton U-21 match) and have no complaints whatsoever.

Appreciate if you have a young family, mortgage to pay etc or you are furloughed then it might be a decision as to whether you pay £10. But for those who aren't in those difficult circumstances I can't see what the problem is in paying a tenner - after all it's less than a couple of pints down the pub.

And I enjoy the coverage. I think Greg and Terry are a good pairing and Terry always makes me laugh at how he thinks every decision should go Charlton's way! 

Actually, I'll go further. This live streaming of matches should carry on after fans are back in the ground. Sadly, the days of me wanting to plough my way across London for every game are over but I'll quite happily pay to watch them on a stream.

But would it?

Most people would still prefer to go in person - you've only got to read the comments on here. If I was 10 years younger and TfL hadn't made it impossible to drive across central London so would I. But times change - since I gave my season ticket up 4 years ago I've just got out of the habit of going week in, week out and much as I love Charlton, I can't ever see me doing it again. But I still want to see the games - so why not let me pay something to watch them?

Also, how many more fans would be able to watch our away games with live streaming? Not everyone wants to spend a day and loads of money travelling up to Blackburn. 

People said televising football live would kill it. It didn't. Live streaming is the future and we should embrace it and make it work for the clubs.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

You’ve also used the word ‘embarrassing’ several times. Do you mean you find it embarrassing that people would complain about paying £10 for something? Surely you understand the difference between not being able to afford/willing to pay for something and finding that things value for money? If it cost £3 but the picture constantly buffered and the drilling noise played for the whole 90 minutes, I’d still say it wasn’t value for money because the money I’d be paying wouldn’t match the level of service received. It doesn’t matter whether £3 or £10 is a lot of money to you or not. On the other hand if it cost £20 per game I’d still pay it. Because personally, I have to watch the team, by any means necessary. But it still wouldn’t make it value for money.
    The picture quality was not great the first few games i agree. I don't fucking work for ifollow and I'm not saying its amazing but its getting better. I'm not here to promote anything just don't  understand why so many people are moaning about paying 10 quid. Its not directed at you but there are a lot of threads with the same thing.
    Don't pay if you think its not worth it. I don't really know what else to say on it
    I give up.
  • Options

But would it?

Most people would still prefer to go in person - you've only got to read the comments on here. If I was 10 years younger and TfL hadn't made it impossible to drive across central London so would I. But times change - since I gave my season ticket up 4 years ago I've just got out of the habit of going week in, week out and much as I love Charlton, I can't ever see me doing it again. But I still want to see the games - so why not let me pay something to watch them?

Also, how many more fans would be able to watch our away games with live streaming? Not everyone wants to spend a day and loads of money travelling up to Blackburn. 

People said televising football live would kill it. It didn't. Live streaming is the future and we should embrace it and make it work for the clubs.
    I think it would, although it’s tough to balance. With Covid, there are going to be people willing to buy the stream who wouldn’t go anyway because of money. But then you’ve already said you’d do it rather then go to games and so would thousands of others. You already see Charltons attendances reduce for those games on live tv so can’t see how this would be any different. 

Make you right on away games though and I’d like to see streams available for away fans. 
  • Options
    Happy to just be able to watch home and away for a tenner especially given our current situation. Will end up spending more than my ST in a season but if it helps the clubs finances then that can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

I give up.
    I would. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Having listened to the supposedly 'professional' commentators from BBC radio Northampton last week I think ours do a much better job. 
    Bit harsh on Mendez!!
    I’m not on Radio Northampton!  Croydon.
    Corrected for you ;)
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

I give up.
    Give up what? 
    If you want to have a discussion without proving a point then go for it. Nobody can make me or you pay for anything we have a choice.
    What exactly is your problem, the price or the quality of the product? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had some issues with the replays last season. My advice to Pompey technical people is less is more with replays. Goals, sending offs and penalty decisions only.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

I give up.
    Give up what? 
    If you want to have a discussion without proving a point then go for it. Nobody can make me or you pay for anything we have a choice.
    What exactly is your problem, the price or the quality of the product? 
    Give up the discussion because you still don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept that people can find the service not value for money, yet continue to pay it because it’s unthinkable to not watch their team. There is no ‘proving’ of anything in this discussion. The OP asked if it was value for money and many of us have given reasons we think it’s not. Some have given reasons they think it is. Fine. 
    I don’t even know how to answer the final sentence without repeating myself and rehashing what others have already carefully explained numerous times.
  • Options
    £230 for all the home games is decent enough value compared to season tickets .

£460 is for all the games, well I got news for some our away tickets aren’t free !

If someone had said to me when I was younger you could watch Charlton live from anywhere in the world in a few years time I’d have bitten their hand off for it .

I struggle to get to games what with kids doing stuff and work etc so this being available is brilliant .

It will never replace being there but it’s a handy back up to have .

2 hours out the day rather than 5/6 for a home game and as for aways that’s loads of time given back to the family just so they can hate me some more .
    Fully agree, it’s great value 
  • Options
    I'm happy with a tenner per game. Usually get to watch it with my son, which makes it a fiver each - football for a fiver, it'll never catch on! I used to go to one or two away games per season - I'm watching every game home and away this season, so happy days!
  • Options
    I like it, it's no substitute for being in the ground but as the only way to watch live it does it's job. The £10 charge is a lot easier to swallow though when there's multiple people watching at the same time to spread the cost. 

It's been covered already lots but I agree the camera work today was especially poor. Nothing more frustrating than having action be narrated whilst you watch something else. Understand it if a goals been scored and there's different angles to show but not when a ball was rolled out for a goal kick ffs.

The commentary I think is great and I enjoy the fact that it's done by Charlton fans, compare the Sky commentary of Bauers winner vs Terry and Greg, don't need them to be neutral 
  • Options
    At least Pompey didn't have the automatic camera like Inverness Caledonian Thistle which followed the bald head of one of the ref's assistants rather the ball in the week. 
    I do recall a film a few years back that just focused on Zidane for a whole game. Maybe if we played Thistle in a friendly, we could produce a cut price version focusing on Jonny Williams.
  • Options
    I'm being driven insane by all the multiple, default replays, mostly of incidents not of any note and we're missing the action while this lunacy goes on - even a Charlton free kick yesterday!

However, I'm very grateful to be able to see all the games and think at a tenner is ok in the circumstances.

I hope these games continue in lockdown, and that we creep into the top two before any possible scrapping of the season.

• Options
    When IFollow Valley player was brought in it was to allow fans abroad to watch games, additionally people with VPNs were able to watch the games in the UK too. 
    It was never meant to be used like it has had to be.
    its not a sky sports production ( good they have to many replays and a load of over paid ex pros that talk crap )  but it’s a way to watch Charlton and is all there is at the moment. It’s also probably one of the clubs biggest income streams at the moment and is helping towards the bills. 
    Yes it’s not perfect and it’s never going to replace being at the game but we can watch our team.
    i dislike most TV commentaries as they talk a load of Bollox but our guys are Charlton fans and although they could be a little more biased I think they are doing a great job. 
    Rather than moaning let’s be thankful we have a way to watch the team at the moment, it wasn’t so long ago we thought we may not have a team to watch. 
    Who's moaning? The original poster asked for views.