Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Peterborough v Charlton Athletic | Tue 19 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is Bowyer slagging off Ged? Or Gallen? Or Sandgaard?
    Chris Parkes?
  • Options
    Dodgy bounce for their first. Yes a cock up with two players jumping but a dodgy bounce all the same. Second was just typical of us losing possession needlessly and getting punished for it, which we don't seem to do to other teams enough. I do feel that once Famewo and or Innis are back we'll be back to winning ways while showing a good level of consistency. Pissed off with the result of course, but I don't think we've seen the best of us yet this season.
    That's why you don't let it bounce.

Every centre back knows it

Schoolboy error

• Options
    Gutted - not just the result, but that we looked in control. I worried that Pearce would walk straight into the back four, when his recent mistakes suggested he should wait, while the central defenders who kept a clean sheet Saturday get shuffled. 
    But while he made changes I felt we didn't need in my opinion  it was working up until a horrible mix up at the back. And we sank after that.
    It was a tough place to go for a win, so maybe this is one to shrug off - we DO look a bit better, although hardly setting the world alight. Just frustrating to get nothing.
  • Options
    I had the misfortune of watching the last 25 minutes, from just after the Peterborough equaliser. It was evident that this wasn't in line with the first hour and a bit but I saw a dreadful pitch and a poor performance from the Addicks. We lacked shape and players seemed all over the place. I've now seen the golas as well. There was a real lack of quality. Not for the Player Marks thread and no scores but this is what I saw:
    Amos: might have done better with the second but one good save with his legs
    Gunter: Disappointing. Matthews needs a chance.
    Pearce: Poor for the goal and not good in the last part of the match
    Maatsen: looked OK but still worried about his final ball. Possibly the best defender I saw
    Oshilaja: Not great
    Shinnie: Dreadful slip for the second goal, otherwise anonymous
    Smyth: Lightweight
    Pratley: Gave away far too many time-costing fouls at the end
    Williams: Did very little
    Gilbey: Meh
    Aneke: Not his usual self. Hardly won a ball and his one on target shot was as tame as Mrs Slocombe's pussy.
    Schwartz; Looked more like the Minister of Transport than the Minister of Shooting. No service.
    And another midweek defeat. We really don't do midweek nights.
  • Options
    agim said:
    Anyone else feel the big difference between the sides was the quality of finishing from their player who scored the goals? I'm struggling to think of a player in our team who would of replicated those goals.
    What I was thinking also.

Yes, me made mistakes but couldn’t see any of our players being as cool as that.... good running also.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cant stand Darren Ferguson..piggy backed off his old mans name to forge a career. 
    Who was his dad?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    20th in current form, another season in league one beckons
  • Options
    Where’s the ppg dazzler 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Even Jackson laying down some truths to the players

“It was a great meeting” - what’s that a reference to?
    He said it was a chat during training 
    He said they had had meetings with the players to talk about the defensive errors that had been made previously. 
  • Options
    there were a number of occasions when two of our players went for the same ball, this shows poor communication between the players and in one instance lead to a goal for the Posh - basic mistakes
  • Options
    Aneke terrible tonight’s not one ball stuck up top when he came on. It just kept coming back. Should have subbed him of again like Williams. there must have been half a dozen times the posh defenders had free headers to clear the ball with no challenge from our players.
    can’t see why everyone gets so excited by Aneke his brilliant one game like Rochdale then can’t control a bag of cement last 2 games. 
    2 mistakes in terrible conditions cost us but the first one is inexcusable both centre backs going for same ball. Sunday league stuff. 
    No doubt Bowyers fault and should be sacked in some people’s eyes. 
    But to me the teams not good enough judge him when he finally gets a proper pre season when his backed by Thomas.although it’s still going to be hard now we got wage cap. Typical Charlton get some money from a proper owner and we can’t spend it. 
    One thing I don’t like about bowyers decision is how Is Gunter getting in before Matthews still 
  • Options
    Bowyer saying that someone had to take control of the header for their first goal so blaming both Deji and Pearce
    Tbf they have got mouths in there head...bit of talking to each other and there would have been no issues.
    Its why I agree with him, I dont get why its Deji OR Pearce's error

Its like Phillips | Sarr at Wembley all over again - Bloody well talk to each other
    Agree on the communication. It wasn’t great defending by Deji as he was on the back foot and let it bounce, therefore easily beaten by the striker. But I still feel the goal came directly by Pearce being out of position. That wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t have gone for it. 
  • Options

One thing I don’t like about bowyers decision is how Is Gunter getting in before Matthews still 
    I’m a big fan of Gunter but he’s not been performing anywhere near his earlier performances and agree Matthews should have a run ...only thing I can think why he isn’t is that the extra height Gunter provides may be a reason why he’s been kept in with our junkness at centre half .
  • Options
    Bowyer saying that someone had to take control of the header for their first goal so blaming both Deji and Pearce
    Tbf they have got mouths in there head...bit of talking to each other and there would have been no issues.
    Its why I agree with him, I dont get why its Deji OR Pearce's error

Its like Phillips | Sarr at Wembley all over again - Bloody well talk to each other
    Agree on the communication. It wasn’t great defending by Deji as he was on the back foot and let it bounce, therefore easily beaten by the striker. But I still feel the goal came directly by Pearce being out of position. That wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t have gone for it. 
    Basic defending I’m afraid they are both experienced pros especially Captain Pearce who should’ve taken control and dropped off to cover. The problem with that of course is Pearce isn’t the quickest to deal with a player running onto the flick on and is probably why he decided an aerial challenge was his better option. Rank bad inexcusable decision making apart from a lack of communication, end of 😡.
  • Options
    Two errors,the first was once again letting a ball bounce,the second,Shinnie lost a ball halfway inside their half,how did they then ,make 70 yds unchallenged.JFC should not have gone off,even on a booking,had he got a second late in the game,he would miss one game,we lost any control with his departure,no service too our two impact subs.you are now looking to win 15 games to make the play offs,just cannot see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The definition of frustration......watching Charlton!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Pearce isn't playing well at the moment

What I don't know is whether he's just in a run of poor form or whether he's unfortunately on the way down. He's only 33, and it's not as if he's had a major injury so he ought to still be a decent player at L1 level.
    He's been punching since beginning of last season. 

ALWAYS an error waiting to happen and often does.

Committed, yes. 
    Headless chicken who drags the defence about in all sorts of shape issues, Yes. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Poor old Bows. I have to say,I watched the pre match interview and he already had the look of a beaten man.

Something still ain't right.

What ain't right is:
    We haven't got the two CB who helped us achieve 7 clean sheets and Bowyer, like me and I assume others didn't think we would stop them scoring at least one goal.
    What was disappointing is, the Posh didn't have a sniff of a goal 1st half.

Another two gifts cost us.

Who is Lee digging out with his remark we didn't move quick enough to bring someone in ?

Right I get that we would be better with the "two center halves", I don't think anyone doubts that.

But you do realise that neither of them have ever played more than 20 games in a season before? 

You would also expect Pearce and Oshilaja to be half decent cover. 

You can't keep banging on that those two are injured and expect everyone to just shrug their shoulders and say "that's OK then"?

We have dropped SOME points, like one today, that is a direct result of their absence but not ALL the points we have dropped since the international break. 
    This. It's as if all our troubles will miraculously go away as soon as the "big two" step on the pitch again. And it's not like we are shipping in goals left right and centre. Yes, a recent average of 2 a game isnt good but we are hardly pulling up trees at the other end. 2 shots on target tonight - that's not going to win you many games.
    Except it did for us repeatedly, right up until they both got injured and we started gifting the opposition goals. There's this new line of thinking that getting our best players back in key positions isn't going to fix our problems, and it's incredibly stupid. We don't need a 'miracle', we need to become tighter at the back so that our goals go further. Once we had our preferred team in place earlier in the season we went 5 games without conceding a goal. We won every one of those games 1-0 or 2-0. The moment we lost our two centre backs, two players who marshaled the backline effectively, cleared the ball powerfully, threw themselves in front of everything, cleared the place out at defensive (and attacking) set pieces and most importantly didn't make catastrophic errors in front of their own goal, we started conceding, and that pegged back the value of our goals. It's not 'miraculous' that our fortunes will improve when we stop giving the opposition free goals. Accrington, Hull, Peterborough, Rochdale, Swindon, Shrewsbury and more, all games where we've gifted the opposition goals through absolutely unthinkable basic errors, and all games where not giving away a key goal could have seen us win the match. We were in a good place not running away with games in terms of the score but getting in front and looking like the opposition could be out there all night and still be running into Famewo's foot and Inniss's face. The team were calm once we were in front and it was generally a good bet that we were going to come away with three points. If you have players in your team who will miss a bouncing ball, or pass directly to the opposition when they're the last man then there's really no understating how important being able to cut that out is
  • Options
    Another minor thing but decision making from throws last night was literally dreadful. 

I think the last ten throws or something were aimed Down the line to Johnny Williams who had no chance winning the flick on.

Add to that, throught the game throws were literally crap, no movement, not the correct weight, and a lot of the time not the correct shirt. 

Throw ins won't win you the game but giving possession away more than 50% will.

Its been same over two years, watch us, we are dire from our own throw (and very slow to react to opposition throws) 
  • Options
    We spent all of last season saying we'd be fine when players return. How did that play out?
  • Options
    Good point Charlton park Lane I know it seems petty for throw ins me and lad commented in game last night how many times do we throw it in and lose possession. 
    Thinking back earlier in season we were taking throws square to middle of park and losing possession. Sure I can remember this happening on edge of penalty area. You don’t do that do you. 
    Do we really need to practice throw ins because we can’t throw it to our own players at times. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    A poor pitch doesn't always mean a poor game. I think generally and understandably, modern players don't really know how to play on anything less than a billiard table pitch. Case in point...Shinnie trying to be too clever rather than just kicking it out. Up to a point, modern managers seem to struggle with it too. LB saying "it wasn't really playable" or words to that effect. I think a slightly more experienced manager, may well have left Bogle on to play with Aneke and gone a lot more direct. Instead, we ended up with a sort of hybrid with no discernible pattern and the game just fizzled out. 

Ultimately, despite our efforts in the 1st half, Peterborough defended better than we did and ended up pretty comfortable winners. They had the one player who seemed prepared to run beyond the strikers (he did it four times in the 2nd half) and in the end, they earnt their victory. It's not as if they were hanging on at the end and if anything, looked like they might add another goal themselves.

For us, yet again, it's left us with more questions than answers;

Should Gunter play out of position so that a) Pearce can be rested b) Matthews can be included?

Should Aneke start every game and sod the consequences?

Should Schwartz start the next game and try to play for say 65 mins to a) have the benefit of his ability b) to get him up to speed more quickly? 

Should Famewo or Inniss be risked even if they aren't fully fit?

Should Barker be given a chance to partner Oshilaja? 

Is this team really as good as we might think it is or does it currently have far too many suspect elements to be classed as serious promotion candidates? 
  • Options
    Another minor thing but decision making from throws last night was literally dreadful. 

I think the last ten throws or something were aimed Down the line to Johnny Williams who had no chance winning the flick on.

Add to that, throught the game throws were literally crap, no movement, not the correct weight, and a lot of the time not the correct shirt. 

Throw ins won't win you the game but giving possession away more than 50% will.

Its been same over two years, watch us, we are dire from our own throw (and very slow to react to opposition throws) 
    Yes - I am hollering at the tele for players to move about when we have the ball for a throw in every week. They just stand there, and then on the odd occasion a throw goes to one of ours it is almost always hit straight back at the taker, who is marked by then. I know sweet FA about the tactics of football, but this seems a simple thing that Bow just does not see?