Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Peterborough v Charlton Athletic | Tue 19 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    ct_addick said:
    After the subs we were woeful

They were positive subs but the gifts for the goals gave posh confidence. 

We defended well as a team 1st half but two errors from 2 CB going for the same ball and Shinnie making a mistake and Peterborough are ruthless.

Feel sorry for Lee Bowyer tonight because individual mistakes are costing us big time.
    I rightly criticised Bowyer over 8 or 9 matches with some very strange tactics.
    Not tonight. On a shocking pitch we were undone with a long ball. 

The set up in the last two matches has been spot on.

"We will rue that miss" as Gunter headed over when we should've gone 2 up.
    I have been supporting Charlton too long not to know a vital miss.

The game changed after that and Posh remembered they are a good team and they bossed the game from then on with the assistance of the charity of Cafc.

Yeah I think Szmodic's first goal lifted them, we then bring off our tiring forwards for "fresh" ones, but PBoro are hungry, smelling blood so they push on.

We then made more and more subs.

I think the forwards alone was fine, could have been 5/10 earlier, but the additional subs meant we finished with a very different front 4 and even a different CAM, so front 5. It's no wonder the play between defence and attack broke down.

We were suitably unsettled for the last 25 mins.
  • Options
    As a fan base we just need to come to terms with the fact that we’re going to finish sixth and win the playoffs. 
  • Options
    Poor defensively for their goals otherwise we competed, not the end of the world, but we need two the centre halves back as Pearce just doesn't cut it and Deji neither, consistently anyway. 

We need two find a better way to play offensively as well, Washington is a good player but he's feeding off scraps.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:
    Where was the shape in the 2nd half? Looked like Bowyer sent subs out without any instructions for them or the rest of the team on the pitch.

The rest of league are going pull away soon and we spend the rest of the season wondering if we are touching distance of 6th.

But its ok, the bowyer in brigade have their win at Bristol Rovers. Good for them.
    Your name doesn’t come as a surprise
    Thanks. Top reply
    Only thing they can come back at you with mate coz they know you’re right. 
    Do you have 2 accounts?
    Na he don’t, just shouldn’t get singled out for his name when he’s spitting facts. Childish
    "Spitting facts" yeah bread bin I getcha.
    In addition to this, no one should be attacked for their opinions.

Bowyer still has to turn it around, let's not pretend he's faultless.
    So you don’t think you’ve seen enough dross to call time on Bowyer? 
     Nah I've always said he has until end of January to get this ship back on track. Even if we lost every game from now til then, we'd have time for a new manager to come in and have a crack at promotion, just like in LB's first few months.
    And when the same individual errors from the same poor players keep costing us points, how long before the new guy gets the bullet? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    Where was the shape in the 2nd half? Looked like Bowyer sent subs out without any instructions for them or the rest of the team on the pitch.

The rest of league are going pull away soon and we spend the rest of the season wondering if we are touching distance of 6th.

But its ok, the bowyer in brigade have their win at Bristol Rovers. Good for them.
    By jove, I think you've nailed it there. The manager obviously sends the team out without any instructions - no instructions at all. You're a genius son, pure genius.
    Did you see any shape at all in that 2nd half? JFC comes off and the midfield evaporates. Long balls being lumped forward from 70mins onwards to Chuks & Ronnie who didnt hold any consitent ground. so it just came back our way. 

We all know Bowyer has a problem with subs this season, if he and the team aren't giving our proper instruction & shape I'd say thats a huge issue. How many times have we thrown games away or been shut out.
    OK, I'll engage.

Do you seriously, I mean seriously, believe that our players are given no instructions at the start of the game, during the game or when substitutes are made? Because that's what you said; "Looked like Bowyer sent subs out without any instructions for them or the rest of the team on the pitch." Your words.
    Why dont you read back what I said and what you have quoted. "Looks like". The way the players ran around once we conceded was close to headless chickens. So yes it does 'look like' players are sent out without instruction, but of course they arent.

But what it does mean is that the instructions are either not right and/or getting through. Both Bowyers problems at the end of the day, and its felt and looked that way for the entirety of the this bad run since mid-november.

If you disagree and think Bowyer sets up the team & manages the game perfectly everytime, fine. Say so. Happy to engage on ideas of how the team plays and sets up. Not here to play on semantics of langauge.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:

Thanks. Top reply
    Do you have 2 accounts?
    Na he don’t, just shouldn’t get singled out for his name when he’s spitting facts. Childish

Nah I've always said he has until end of January to get this ship back on track. Even if we lost every game from now til then, we'd have time for a new manager to come in and have a crack at promotion, just like in LB's first few months.
    Ok fair. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:

Thanks. Top reply
    Do you have 2 accounts?

And when the same individual errors from the same poor players keep costing us points, how long before the new guy gets the bullet? 
    Couple of seasons, at least one season 🤣

Funny how we were making the same mistakes last season?! Whilst Pearce and Oshilaja were part of that, most of these players were not.
  • Options
    Apart from the mistakes, thought we were okay up to the goal/taking JFC off.

Thought Bowyer set us up well (second match in a row) and the players worked hard, Washington especially. 

The main issue is that we never really look like creating many chances.

• Options
    Deserved a point. Didn't get one as we can't defend. Pearce involved in a clamity again. Time to leave him out. Gunter and Deji looked a better partnership. No real threat up top. Smyth is a waste of a loan and I would send him back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and Smyth adds absolutely nothing to the team whatsoever
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He put a couple of very good crosses in, neither forward was where a Lyle or Karlan would have been though.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    agim said:
    The Pearce witch hunt continues. Him & Deji were excellent first half and then they make a Sunday league mistake. Both at fault I'd argue Deji even more so because he's let the ball bounce first to make Pearce come over.

1st half was solid, good pressing and dealt with pretty much everything that came our way. 

2nd half just shows we aren't quite good enough to beat the better 4/5 teams in the league. I feel the team is lacking character. Who's going to pull us through games like tonight? Schwartz is still miles of the pace. Aneke can't keep up with the demands of 3 games a week & I'm yet to see a really decent end product from Millar. Can't see us making the playoffs 
    Not a witch hunt, just clearly a player there who’s declining - he’s 34 next season so it’s hardly a surprise. He’s probably slower than he was a year ago and isn’t big enough to dominate in the air (like Inniss can) to make up for it.
    Yep I agree he's not the player he was. Blatant mistake against Accy but tonight I don't feel the first goal was all on him but our fans jump on him because he was involved. Why Deji not attacking the long ball and deal with it first time? He's let it bounce and then backs off. Pearce wrongly comes over but it's a accumulation of errors. People saying he could of been sent off for the pull back half way up the pitch. It's a foul booking etc but to me he's got beat and he's made the foul that needed to be made.
  • Options
    So in this thread we have people moaning about Pearce playing when all the moaning before was about players being played in the wrong positions. There’s people moaning about Gunter existing at all even though he would have been the one to play there instead of Pearce. We have people moaning about bringing two strikers on when we’re winning when previous moaning was about being too defensive too early on. We have people moaning that the manager is shit because experienced players made individual errors to gift goals. There’s weeping about the league being rubbish, the players being rubbish, the football being rubbish. Have we always had this much wailing when we lose a match or hit bad form or have ‘fans’ just got worse?
    Always more posts after a loss.
  • Options
    Pearce your time is up. Absolutely awful and don’t send your kids to his soccer school.
    furious how bad he was in Oshilaja we expect total shit 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    He put a couple of very good crosses in, neither forward was where a Lyle or Karlan would have been though.
    He had the option of looking up! The difference after the equaliser is Posh tightened up defensively so it was harder for Schwartz and Aneke. I thought up until then we were coping far better than them. Wasn't a game of football in those conditions but hoofball and battle for it. We did that better than them and should have put the game to bed.
  • Options
    Gutted. 

Ugly, ugly game. 

Played the match perfectly for 60 mins and then fell apart - so frustrating for 2 individual errors to cost us.

The Gunter miss looks so costly, we didn’t look likely to come away with anything after they equalised.

I though Amos could have done more with the 2nd too. Surely he can read that ball? He’s still stood on his line when the striker receives the ball! 

Pearce really does look finished for us unfortunately although Deji doesn’t do him any favours for the first. 

JFC is absolutely vital to us at the moment, we were very poor after he went off.

The conditions were absolutely suited to Pratley and he shithoused and Brexited his way through 90 minutes effectively. 

Bogle was better than normal but still not great - Washington played well.

The less said about the performances put in by Aneke and Schwartz the better - awful.

Not on Bowyer that one. Just a shitshow finish to the game. Very annoying.

It is allowable to say that Bogle and Washington did so much more in closing Peterborough down than  Aneke and the anonymous Schwartz. 
     Yes.

Schwartz and Aneke partnership isn't developing at this stage. Maybe try the totally unselfish Washington with Schwartz and the Bully Boys can come on later.

(Preferred it when it was Smyth and Aneke up top together tbh)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've not been happy with our Lee for a few weeks especially after the Maddison incident and his previous team selections.

Tonight however, I thought for 60 minutes and after Saturday at Bristol I saw a bit of the old Charlton. 

However, clearly intent on ruining my birthday today that last half hour was the stuff of nightmares and blowing the candle out on my bloody cake didn't give me the wish I wanted....so typical Charlton! 

It's very hard to know what to think now...clearly Innis and Fammy will be welcomed back but is it enough....I think Gunter has been very disappointing, Gilby...let's not go there...Pearce looks a yard slower and Deji bless him is really not quite up to it. 

We must win on Saturday but I have to agree with other posters that the play offs look a distant dream unless there is a rapid turnaround with consistency, clean sheets and goals. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    roseandcrown said:
    agim said:
    The Pearce witch hunt continues. Him & Deji were excellent first half and then they make a Sunday league mistake. Both at fault I'd argue Deji even more so because he's let the ball bounce first to make Pearce come over.

1st half was solid, good pressing and dealt with pretty much everything that came our way. 

2nd half just shows we aren't quite good enough to beat the better 4/5 teams in the league. I feel the team is lacking character. Who's going to pull us through games like tonight? Schwartz is still miles of the pace. Aneke can't keep up with the demands of 3 games a week & I'm yet to see a really decent end product from Millar. Can't see us making the playoffs 
    Its not a witch hunt is evidence right in front of your eyes. 

Pearce is a battler and has been a great servant for us but he is a liability, clumsy and off the pace. He always looks out of position and ends up man handling players. he got away with another not long after the second the ref gave a foul to him but it was not he was lucky. 
    He's never had pace and he's always been that kind of man handling defender ever since he's played for us. Like I've said in previous comments I'd swap our two centre backs today for quite a few other players out there but it's what we have at the moment. That defeat can't just be put on one players head it's ridiculous 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I thought Bogle did ok in the first half tonight but looked knackered by the early stages of the second half. If he was fresher he might have got into position to convert that cross from Smyth.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:

Thanks. Top reply
    Do you have 2 accounts?

Couple of seasons, at least one season 🤣

Funny how we were making the same mistakes last season?! Whilst Pearce and Oshilaja were part of that, most of these players were not.
    I don’t recall anywhere near the same quantity of individual errors when comparing this season and last season. Last season we were a poor squad punching well above their weight who ultimately fell short on the last day due to the winter of 1000 injury’s, the worst change in ownership one could imagine and our top goal scorer/talisman refusing to honour his contract. We also had the worst starting 11 in the league. 

This season is an add on from last season and ESI’s reign, that’s only magnified on the pitch. Changing the management now does nothing, we need a proper rebuild and stability. I’d much rather add more coaches than take them away. 
  • Options
    It wasn't as good a performance as some are making out

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Without the previous shysters in charge, we'd have bought Clarke-Harris in January. If not then, the summer just gone.

He plays for our opponent tonight and sets up two goals.

People pretending that the likes of Omar Bogle (sorry Omar) were Bowyer's top choices to fill out a desperately fragile squad are kidding themselves.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    It wasn't as good a performance as some are making out

Neither team were very good, the conditions made sure of that.