Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Peterborough v Charlton Athletic | Tue 19 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    agim said:
    Anyone else feel the big difference between the sides was the quality of finishing from their player who scored the goals? I'm struggling to think of a player in our team who would of replicated those goals.
    What I was thinking also.

Yes, me made mistakes but couldn’t see any of our players being as cool as that.... good running also.
    If he finished like that every week, he wouldn't be in League 1. Our luck to come accross him at his best. 

We were unlucky last night, poor performing subs and lack of shots aside. We absolutely deserved something out of that game.      
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    PWR

The difference in strikers, their guy had two one on ones and put them both away. 

Schwartz apart, I couldn’t see any of our strikers being so clinical.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    We spent all of last season saying we'd be fine when players return. How did that play out?
    Our players never returned. We lost our most important player in Conor Gallagher in January and then our best striker refused to play out the rest of the season. Even then, in a season where survival was our only aim because of our squad put together out of free transfers and loans, we went down via a last minute goal when a team in the Play-Offs shat themselves against Barnsley. When we were talking about how we'd be fine when our best players returned I don't think any of us envisioned a final day front two of Davison and Bonne.
    Well said Garry. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cant stand Darren Ferguson..piggy backed off his old mans name to forge a career. 
    Who was his dad?

• Options
    One powder puff shot on target after a spectacularly generous penalty award is scant achievement against limited opponents. One dismal defensive howler would have been bad enough. For the same 2 clowns to cough up an encore only serves to ram home how far from adequate either one is. That we are likely to suffer further appearances from either is a stark measure of how unbalanced this squad is. 
    Swindon will be formulating a simple plan to pluck the abundant low hanging fruit at The Valley on Saturday 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    agim said:
    Anyone else feel the big difference between the sides was the quality of finishing from their player who scored the goals? I'm struggling to think of a player in our team who would of replicated those goals.
    I think apart from Gunter’s header I can’t remember any other real chances.  A couple maybe when Smyth cut in from the right in the first 20 minutes and took a shot on his left that went wide, and then another when he didn’t want to shoot on his left.  Aneke had a tame effort across the keeper in the final 10 mins.  There may be more but nothing stands out.

to be fair they didn’t have much more in terms of chances and I agree, they took the two that were gifted to them.  

The game in itself is one where I don’t think we can be too critical of the performance compared to some of the other stuff served up in recent months, but the form is worrying.

I don’t think Bowyer could come in for much in the way of criticism last night.  He picked a decent starting xi that made sense, we competed and fought up until their equaliser, the pitch was appalling and neither side created much.  For me, it’s more about the general mediocrity that has set in, pretty much since the Gillingham away game.  I just don’t see how people can look at it and say it’s about luck, or needing this player back, or if we played so and so in this formation.  I guess the sign will be when we get Inniss and Famewo back.  Although for me, it’s a bit clutching at straws to say our season will turn round off the back of 2 centre backs becoming fit and available.  I could be wrong 

One thing that I did take from last night is that Bowyer is definitely the right man for the job.  I think you could put Klopp in charge of the squad and I don’t think we would see a dramatic improvement.  It’s a tight league, but I’m slipping into the mindset of what will be will be this year.  My thoughts are already turning to who needs to leave in the summer and what next season will look like to be honest.  I would like Bowyer and Gallen to be given a proper shot at assembling a squad over a full close/pre season.  I hope TS recognizes/gives them that 
    100% this 
  • Options
    Charlton are described as a 'team of cloggers' by their local paper. I wonder how many hours of training is dedicated to screaming every time on of them was tackled, soft feckers.
  • Options
    What's bugging me at the moment is I don't think Bowyer has a starting 11 or formation he fully rates. We were 4-4-2 last night with two pacey wingers on the flanks. Did we get in behind them enough? I don't think so. Our biggest goal "threats" are Aneke & Schwartz who no doubt will knick a few goals against the lesser teams but I'm not sure if they will be enough. Maddison & JW our 2 attacking midfielders don't really contribute what we'd hoped either. I can't see us going up this year I'm afraid!

• Options
    My wife who watches with me occasionally said after that Bows interview that she wanted to give him a hug and make him a cuppa!

She did say though that she didn't think everything was right though...

I'm still not sure myself but I'm keen to get back our central two defenders and see how we do then. However, two massive games coming up and Bow has to get this sorted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cant stand Darren Ferguson..piggy backed off his old mans name to forge a career. 
    Who was his dad?
    Prince Andrew. He took his mother Sarah's surname after his parents divorced
  • Options
    One powder puff shot on target after a spectacularly generous penalty award is scant achievement against limited opponents. One dismal defensive howler would have been bad enough. For the same 2 clowns to cough up an encore only serves to ram home how far from adequate either one is. That we are likely to suffer further appearances from either is a stark measure of how unbalanced this squad is. 
    Swindon will be formulating a simple plan to pluck the abundant low hanging fruit at The Valley on Saturday 
    How are you blaming Deji and Pearce for the second?
  • Options
    Stating the bloody obvious, we need a winning sequence of 6 games to just stay in touch of top 6. Where's that coming from when still no clear indication from LB as to when CB's returning.
  • Options
    Bit gutted. 

It was awful conditions the pitch unpredictable and felt the players started the stronger, we pressed well as a unit and forced a lot of errors and overall the ball was in the opposition half for the first 45. We won a lot of first and second balls, and if we made some better decisions in the final third might of got a second.

Both goals conceded errors played a part, the pitch played a part unfortunate in both.

The direct ball both centre halfs didn't feel comfortable attacking it Oshilija was facing his own goal found himself in a awkward position and Pearce who had his eyes on the ball  found it dropping further away from him so it takes a heavy bounce and bounces upwards. Both players reacted to the bounce and felt they could win it, but the one player who reacted quicker was Clarke Harris and this was because he got a running jump when chasing after the ball he got that little flick. 

The 2nd one it has come from our long throw into their box they half clear, now Shinnie lost his footing whilst trying to keep the ball in play, bit shit but the pitch didn't help and Clarke Harris picks up the loose ball. 

Pearce made a error got following the ball and being caught out of position, which left Oshilaja facing Clarke Harris now I think Oshilaja does the right thing in trying to delay Clarke Harris, it then came down to desire Szmodics powerful run beyond gave a easy option we didn't recover quick enough on the transition.  
  • Options
    My wife who watches with me occasionally said after that Bows interview that she wanted to give him a hug and make him a cuppa!

I'm still not sure myself but I'm keen to get back our central two defenders and see how we do then. However, two massive games coming up and Bow has to get this sorted. 
    As usual, the lady of the house has the perfect solution to all our
    problems, a good cuppa and a hug ;)
    Maybe something we should all do
  • Options

Dont think Peterreeves' wife wants to give us all a hug!!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    We spent all of last season saying we'd be fine when players return. How did that play out?
    Our players never returned. We lost our most important player in Conor Gallagher in January and then our best striker refused to play out the rest of the season. Even then, in a season where survival was our only aim because of our squad put together out of free transfers and loans, we went down via a last minute goal when a team in the Play-Offs shat themselves against Barnsley. When we were talking about how we'd be fine when our best players returned I don't think any of us envisioned a final day front two of Davison and Bonne.
    Well said Garry. 
    Ditto that Gary.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Dont think Peterreeves' wife wants to give us all a hug!!
    Have you got inside information? :)
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    You could pin point at least half a dozen points dropped last season for reasons other than injury.

2 at home to Hull, 1 at home to Huddersfield, 1 away at Wednesday, 2 against Birmingham off the top of my head. 

We didn't get relegated because we lost to Leeds at Elland Road nor because we had to field an u23 team in games like Derby and Swansea away.

We finished in the bottom quarter because of the injuries and financial restraint.  We got relegated because we dropped points we shouldn't have done.  Conversley we will finish in the top 10 this season by vertue of having more better players than MOST teams in this league.  If we don't get get in the play offs, as a minimum, it will be because we dropped points we shouldn't have done.

Yesterday, on its own, wasn't a disaster.  It happens, to almost every team every season.  We played quite well, missed a good chance to go 2 up, conceded 2 stupid goals and lost our way trying to get back in it.  That happens. To one of the better teams on a shit pitch. 

That's compounded by the amount of points we have dropped in recent games by not giving ourselves a chance of winning.

In isolation it should be "dust ourselves down and go again".  The fact its not, is more of a reflection of the last few months than just last night. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I've said before that Stangaard is very quiet on the external communications front at the moment. I just wonder what is going on that we are not privy too ?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I've said before that Stangaard is very quiet on the external communications front at the moment. I just wonder what is going on that we are not privy too ?
    With the amount of money it's costing him to run our club and try to take us back to the premier league. 
    Whatever decision he makes he deserves out support 100%
  • Options
    We also got relegated last season as the other promoted teams Luton and Barnsley got some ridiculous results at the end of the season

In the last 9 games we got a reasonable 9 points
    Barnsley got 15, with the gods on their side as they beat Forest and Brentford with injury time winners as their opponents chased the 3 points
    Luton got 16. Indeed Luton lost only 1 of their last 12 matches.
    9 points from 9 games is there or thereabouts relegation form 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He’s bored shitless of us already , understandable 
    Maybe the enormity of the task ahead is beginning to dawn on him. 
  • Options
    We also got relegated last season as the other promoted teams Luton and Barnsley got some ridiculous results at the end of the season

In the last 9 games we got a reasonable 9 points
    Barnsley got 15, with the gods on their side as they beat Forest and Brentford with injury time winners as their opponents chased the 3 points
    Luton got 16. Indeed Luton lost only 1 of their last 12 matches.
    9 points from 9 games is there or thereabouts relegation form 
    True, but in lots of seasons, 48 points would have kept us up
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    With the amount of money it's costing him to run our club and try to take us back to the premier league. 
    Whatever decision he makes he deserves out support 100%
    He needs to get us out of league one first !