Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Lee Swabey is the new referee for tonight's game 

Shame it's not Madley still.

Swabey was the ref when we beat Stevenage 8-0 in the Checkatrade though...
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Only showers expected at 7-8pm in SE7.

Pitch should be fine but I do worry about our players getting wet.
    called off at half-time then …….
  • Options
    Now the dust has settled FA, how about your team selection for tonight, or have I sadly missed it?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think there is a balance. You do have to consider the time you have also. Saturday, Monday, Saturday, Monday won't allow you to be too complicated in wat you do tactically.
    which will be a bonus if it keeps bowyer away from wrapping our team in defensive chains - i'm hoping that was all about the fact he knew that our attacking players were mainly shite so hopefully we will see a revertion to the bold approach when he first became boss 
    No doubt that the addition of Stockley, Schwartz, Millar and now DJ have changed the attacking dynamic of the team. Smith sounds like he could be the missing piece in midfield. All good. On the negative side we still don’t have a good enough central defence, so until Famewo and Inniss are restored to fitness I think we’ll still ship goals. Can’t afford to lose too many more. We need to go on that long hoped for run starting tonight. I’m 50/50 as to whether we even can. 
    agreed although i've been impressed with oshalaja and think that if famewo comes back alongside him, that will be good enough until Innis is back - if pratley, gunter or pearce have to play there then i think that remains a problem 
    Oshi has been excellent and I don’t think it should be a given that Innis just walks back into the shirt. It should be for him to lose.

Pearce has been poor since he returned from injury which makes me wonder if he was fully fit to return, and I think he is the type of person that would have wanted to get back and help out the team. Hopefully Famewo will stay fit 
  • Options
    We did beat Fleetwood 3-2 on a Tuesday night this season though
    And Oxford and Blackpool. 
    Blackpool wasnt at the Valley
  • Options
    Will we see famewo on the bench? he's training now that's for sure.
  • Options
    Do we know where he got his treatment? 

If it was at Norwich, I would assume that they would not let him return unless match fit - unlike if he was at ours where they return to training to get match fit.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Do we know where he got his treatment? 

If it was at Norwich, I would assume that they would not let him return unless match fit - unlike if he was at ours where they return to training to get match fit.
    Presume he's stayed with us as have seen him in Instagram photos throughout the season showing him with other injured lads
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ross1 said:
    Now the dust has settled FA, how about your team selection for tonight, or have I sadly missed it?
    I honestly left everything well alone as the game has been re-arranged quickly...

Presume thats also why @Sage was too lazy to produce a new Preview for tonight given he's supposed to be on midweek duties ;)

Jokes aside I'm undecided whether to stick with my team from the original Preview or swap Smith in for Shinnie

Bench of course will be very different so...

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Pratley | Forster-Caskey | Millar
    Stockley | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Smith | Watson | Schwartz | Morgan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No chance. Bowyer mentioned he would be back for Saturday against Rochdale and Smith is in the squad tonight to make the 5th loan player.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Can someone explain why the Valley Yann Kermogant pitch was waterlogged on Saturday when many other pitches were playable despite having the same amount of rain ?

Or if the reason have been given, tell me what page number to go to.

Cheers.

• Options
    Can someone explain why the Valley Yann Kermogant pitch was waterlogged on Saturday when many other pitches were playable despite having the same amount of rain ?

Or if the reason have been given, tell me what page number to go to.

Cheers.
    Basically there was standing water as it couldn't drain away properly. They tried to bounce the ball in high travel areas and the ball was sticking, no bounce basically and that could be the difference between a clean tackle and an injury. This fella explains it far better.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @soapboxsam have a look at the Link below, MattF post about nineteenth one down which includes a social media post from a groundsman who now works for Wembley Stadium with previous knowledge of our pitch.  https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90993/match-thread-charlton-v-portsmouth-sat-30-jan-2021-postponed/p6
  • Options
    Comfortable 1-0 home win, Stockley with the goal 
  • Options
    Pitch will be hard to play on tonight I suspect and will probably cut up easily. 

I'd go for 4-4-2.

Amos

Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Purrington

Shinnie  -   JFC   -  Pratley    -   Millar

Stockley - Schwartz

Subs bench: Maynard-Brewer | pearce  | Maatsen | Smith | Watson | Morgan | Aneke

Either that or maybe play Millar on the other wing and give Maatsen a go on the left for pace on both wings.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Oxford 
    Alright, apart from Fleetwood and Oxford, what has Tuesday nights ever done for us? ;)
    Aren't we all forgetting the victory over Brighton Under 21s on penalties?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Oxford 
    Alright, apart from Fleetwood and Oxford, what has Tuesday nights ever done for us? ;)
    I was just watching the commemorative DVD of that game last night
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Oxford 
    And the 3-1 (?) win over Leyton Orient in the same competition
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time does Valley Pass coverage start?
  • Options
    What time does Valley Pass coverage start?
    6:15pm
  • Options
    If the lease on the Valley is a fully repairing its down to the tenant.
  • Options
    Valley Pass ticket purchased.

2-0 Charlton

Roll on KO
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    If the lease on the Valley is a fully repairing its down to the tenant.
    In any case the fault lies with ESI in this case

I still don't know how we managed to survive until October without selling anyone, and without Nimer putting in any funds, but clearly maintenance expenditure would have been cut to the bone

A curious symmetry to the 2014 takeover where Roland inherited a terrible pitch from the spivs
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I honestly left everything well alone as the game has been re-arranged quickly...

Presume thats also why @Sage was too lazy to produce a new Preview for tonight given he's supposed to be on midweek duties ;)

Jokes aside I'm undecided whether to stick with my team from the original Preview or swap Smith in for Shinnie

Amos
    Stockley | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Smith | Watson | Schwartz | Morgan
    Far far too busy leading up a testing centre to be writing a new preview! 😂

Matthews and Schwartz in for Pearce and Stockley and you’re onto a winner.

2-0 Charlton and the run really starts to begin...
  • Options

If DJ was eligible I’d go 4-4-2 but as he’s not, we’re back to the diamond. Up the shithousing reds
  • Options
    Sage said:
    ross1 said:

Amos
    Stockley | Aneke

Far far too busy leading up a testing centre to be writing a new preview! 😂

Matthews and Schwartz in for Pearce and Stockley and you’re onto a winner.

2-0 Charlton and the run really starts to begin...
    Careful mate... Doing side tasks, staying up all night playing P55 and eating junk food...

That sort of attitude could see you shipped off to a League Two forum 😂