Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Rain forecast for this afternoon & evening, if it’s heavy, I can’t see the game going ahead. Is it the same ref as Saturday?
    Not heavy rain though, so the pitch should be ok
  • Options
    Am I allowed to have a dinosaur rant about the state of the fecking multi-coloured slippers that modern players wear.
    Put some fecking studs in.
    If I see any of our players slipping over more than once tonight I'm gonna completely lose my shit  ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Do question the wisdom of rescheduling for tonight when it was known we’d be making quite a few squad changes.

Success of the changes will come on the training ground first, then hopefully carry through onto a matchday. If you consistently play midweek / weekend then you are doing minimal development training as it’s all around easy sessions, rest days, travel, opposition set piece threats etc 

if called off on Sat and with no game tonight we could have had a solid Sunday - Thursday block to proper get to work on shape work, integration etc. 

That wont happen now until earliest next week, so another two of our outstanding games (tonight and Sat) will have been knocked off
  • Options
    Do question the wisdom of rescheduling for tonight when it was known we’d be making quite a few squad changes.

Success of the changes will come on the training ground first, then hopefully carry through onto a matchday. If you consistently play midweek / weekend then you are doing minimal development training as it’s all around easy sessions, rest days, travel, opposition set piece threats etc 

if called off on Sat and with no game tonight we could have had a solid Sunday - Thursday block to proper get to work on shape work, integration etc. 

That wont happen now until earliest next week, so another two of our outstanding games (tonight and Sat) will have been knocked off
    I think Portsmouth have a pretty packed schedule until April and that's when we have a few more Tuesday games. Playing it tonight makes the congestion a bit lighter towards the end of the season and we have the next two Tuesdays free anyway.
  • Options
    We did beat Fleetwood 3-2 on a Tuesday night this season though
    What have we told you about using facts to be positive about the club? 😉
  • Options

When we got the rush of signings after Thomas came in we had our best run 
    it was once they had the time on the training ground it all went tits up !
    It sounds a joke but it was actually true! Most of our losses and awful performances came after a week of training for the Saturday 3pm game. We looked highly disorganised, weaker and also like less energy/effort was being put into place. 
  • Options
     oohaahmortimer said:

agreed - can't help thinking there is too much value put on what can be done in training - yes, who to pick up at corners, a few set piece routines, who / what to watch out for but i'm a big believer that if you just get the right balance of players out there, and keep a settled side, very little is really needed on the training ground   
  • Options
    I think there is a balance. You do have to consider the time you have also. Saturday, Monday, Saturday, Monday won't allow you to be too complicated in wat you do tactically.
  • Options
    I think there is a balance. You do have to consider the time you have also. Saturday, Monday, Saturday, Monday won't allow you to be too complicated in wat you do tactically.
    which will be a bonus if it keeps bowyer away from wrapping our team in defensive chains - i'm hoping that was all about the fact he knew that our attacking players were mainly shite so hopefully we will see a revertion to the bold approach when he first became boss 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
     oohaahmortimer said:

agreed - can't help thinking there is too much value put on what can be done in training - yes, who to pick up at corners, a few set piece routines, who / what to watch out for but i'm a big believer that if you just get the right balance of players out there, and keep a settled side, very little is really needed on the training ground   
    Agreed totally. Especially in the lower division where mistakes are extremely common in most matches which are a huge difference in the matches. 

Think it’s completely different at the very top level when everything must be reviewed and reviewed again to find any small edge over your opponents. Keeping thing simple is the best strategy when playing in lower divisions
  • Options
    is there a pitch inspection planned I wonder?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Smith, Stockley, Millar and Schwartz are the only players from the window available to play.

Jaiyesimi will be available Saturday and is the only player to have not trained at least once with us.

I know Bowyer was looking forward to giving the lads a couple of days off and that is a bit of a shame as they could do with it, hopefully they had at least Sunday off. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
     oohaahmortimer said:

Agreed totally. Especially in the lower division where mistakes are extremely common in most matches which are a huge difference in the matches. 

Think it’s completely different at the very top level when everything must be reviewed and reviewed again to find any small edge over your opponents. Keeping thing simple is the best strategy when playing in lower divisions
    It's surprising how many teams perform much better under a caretaker manager.  Go on a bad run, sack the manager, results dramatically improve, new manager comes in they slowly get worse again.  Especially in the lower leagues. 

Work on a few minor tactical points but keep it simple. 

We often hear about the top, top, players and talk of football intelligence and ability to absorb information but lesser players seem to play better when you keep it simple. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
     oohaahmortimer said:

It's surprising how many teams perform much better under a caretaker manager.  Go on a bad run, sack the manager, results dramatically improve, new manager comes in they slowly get worse again.  Especially in the lower leagues. 

Work on a few minor tactical points but keep it simple. 

We often hear about the top, top, players and talk of football intelligence and ability to absorb information but lesser players seem to play better when you keep it simple. 

If I could offer any advice or comment to Bowyer and Jacko it would be that. Got to remember that these footballer aren’t international players who can easily adapt to different positions over the course of two days. Symth against Rochdale is the perfect example. When thing are going badly revert to basic and not trying to be over clever to get out of a problem.

2-1 win tonight. Stockley and Shinnie.
  • Options
    And Oxford 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Smith, Stockley, Millar and Schwartz are the only players from the window available to play.

Jaiyesimi will be available Saturday and is the only player to have not trained at least once with us.

I know Bowyer was looking forward to giving the lads a couple of days off and that is a bit of a shame as they could do with it, hopefully they had at least Sunday off. 
    they didn't, Smith trained with his new teammates for the first time on Sunday.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Doh yes of course you're right that was mentioned by Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Quite rightly. This does not mean they completed a huge physical or intense workout. It will be more about assessing who has knocks, light work to shake out any stiffness and a bit of a debrief. Monday will be much the same with a brief about the opposition and a walk through on some set pieces etc. Probably in at 10am and on their way home by noon.
  • Options
    I'm sure the pitch will be fine.  If the game had been tomorrow it may have been in doubt as heavy rain expected overnight 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Win tonight would be a huge boost, Pompey only have a couple of games in hand on us. 

Hoping we might see Famewo back. 
  • Options
    Win tonight would be a huge boost, Pompey only have a couple of games in hand on us. 

Hoping we might see Famewo back. 
    But that’s the thing. Bowyer has told the SLP that he would be back in the mix for Rochdale. Against this lot we really could do with him and Inniss, so for this reason as well as those that @AFKABartram mentioned, I really dont get the rush to re- fix the game for tonight. 
  • Options
    Which loan player misses out? You’d assume Famewo but he should be fit to start on Saturday. 

Will it be a constant rotation of Shinnie and Smith?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    which will be a bonus if it keeps bowyer away from wrapping our team in defensive chains - i'm hoping that was all about the fact he knew that our attacking players were mainly shite so hopefully we will see a revertion to the bold approach when he first became boss 
    No doubt that the addition of Stockley, Schwartz, Millar and now DJ have changed the attacking dynamic of the team. Smith sounds like he could be the missing piece in midfield. All good. On the negative side we still don’t have a good enough central defence, so until Famewo and Inniss are restored to fitness I think we’ll still ship goals. Can’t afford to lose too many more. We need to go on that long hoped for run starting tonight. I’m 50/50 as to whether we even can. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    No doubt that the addition of Stockley, Schwartz, Millar and now DJ have changed the attacking dynamic of the team. Smith sounds like he could be the missing piece in midfield. All good. On the negative side we still don’t have a good enough central defence, so until Famewo and Inniss are restored to fitness I think we’ll still ship goals. Can’t afford to lose too many more. We need to go on that long hoped for run starting tonight. I’m 50/50 as to whether we even can. 
    agreed although i've been impressed with oshalaja and think that if famewo comes back alongside him, that will be good enough until Innis is back - if pratley, gunter or pearce have to play there then i think that remains a problem 
  • Options
    although i do think pearce had a bad couple of weeks and hasn't become that awful overnight so we shouldn't write him off completely  
  • Options

Maybe, but I doubt any of the players who left this weekend would have been in the starting line-up tonight anyway.
  • Options
    He's played okay in games before his clanger has led to a goal. It's only from chance they might not punish. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Oxford 
    Alright, apart from Fleetwood and Oxford, what has Tuesday nights ever done for us? ;)