Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    I assume that there will be a lot of second jabs missing the 12 week repeat due to shortages.
    Or is the demand for and timing of second jabs all under control?
    Check out my post on the other thread. This precaution has been put in place to limit first doses and protect 2nd doses during that period 
    I'm a somewhat less confident about that, having just come off the phone to my parents, who have been getting the runaround all morning trying to find out how to book their second dose, having had their first just over 9 weeks ago. Their GP surgery doesn't know, the centre where they had their first does doesn't know, the CCG doesn't know... It's got the makings of a bit of a shambles.
    I thought everyone booked 1st & 2nd jabs at the same time.
    I did on the NHS booking site.
    Mind you my 1st is 100 yards from where I live but there was nowhere in Bromley for the 2nd.
    Nearest options were Catford, Lewisham or Well Hall.
  • Options
    When we had our 1st jab in February we were told we would be contacted "in due course" about dates for the 2nd jab.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    I assume that there will be a lot of second jabs missing the 12 week repeat due to shortages.
    Check out my post on the other thread. This precaution has been put in place to limit first doses and protect 2nd doses during that period 
    I'm a somewhat less confident about that, having just come off the phone to my parents, who have been getting the runaround all morning trying to find out how to book their second dose, having had their first just over 9 weeks ago. Their GP surgery doesn't know, the centre where they had their first does doesn't know, the CCG doesn't know... It's got the makings of a bit of a shambles.
    I don't think there is any link between their experience and the delay to receiving a batch. The majority of people are having their 2nd dose booked in at the same time as their first - this is supposed to be the default for vaccination centres. At the least they should be given booking instructions when receiving their first dose. 

If I was them I wouldn't panic, 2nd doses are not going to be affected by this so they will be able to get it booked its just about working out how. I would keep on at the centre where they got their first dose and hope they get through to someone else who knows what to do. Everyone is supposed to be guaranteed to be able to get their 2nd dose in the same place they got their first if they so choose so its their responsibility to sort.

I'm still incredibly surprised they weren't given anything about booking this at their first dose. Have they re-checked the papers/info they were given then? Has this happened to anyone else?
    Did not receive date for my 2nd jab, nor did my wife, nor two other couples I know who had jabs at the same time, early February. 

Due in last week April, and I am confident we will be contacted. 
  • Options
    I think those people using the National vaccine booking service got both dates when they booked their first. Those getting their jabs via more local GP practice surgeries were told that they would be contacted regarding their second dose date. I’m sure there are exceptions but that’s more the norm I think.
    In December my parents were contacted by their GP practice and had their 1st jab. They were also given a date 3 weeks later for a second jab, but when the policy changed this was then cancelled.

They were then contacted again 2 months later for their second jab, which ended up being 11 weeks after their 1st, so presumably the most convenient time for the GP practice, and when they had Pfizer in.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    Mind you my 1st is 100 yards from where I live but there was nowhere in Bromley for the 2nd.
    Thats what supposed to happen, worrying that there are so many examples where it hasn't.

I think those people using the National vaccine booking service got both dates when they booked their first. Those getting their jabs via more local GP practice surgeries were told that they would be contacted regarding their second dose date. I’m sure there are exceptions but that’s more the norm I think.
    Fair enough. Still think the NHSE guidance to centres is to book both at once but there must be some flexibility about this.
  • Options
    I'm another one who had my first jab - seven weeks ago - and was not given a date for the second. "We'll contact you," was the message. Somewhat confusing to read Hancock and Co saying all appointments will be honoured. And if you haven't got an actual appointment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    Thats what supposed to happen, worrying that there are so many examples where it hasn't.

Fair enough. Still think the NHSE guidance to centres is to book both at once but there must be some flexibility about this.
    It recommended booking both at the same time, but it wasn't compulsory.
    I thought better to be safe than sorry, even though I need to go a few miles for the 2nd.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    I'm another one who had my first jab - seven weeks ago - and was not given a date for the second. "We'll contact you," was the message. Somewhat confusing to read Hancock and Co saying all appointments will be honoured. And if you haven't got an actual appointment?
    All appointments will be honoured is talking about first appointments already made. They have committed to doing all 2nd doses due in that period which is why they are limiting first doses in that period to ensure there is enough.
  • Options
    I had my first jab on February 11th organised by my GP surgery (although I had to go to different surgery to have it).  A second appointment was made whilst I was in treatment room for 29 April - same place, same time.
  • Options
    My vaccination card gives the time, date and place for the second jab.

I've since had a letter bringing the date forward by a week.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:

From the experiences of friends and family those that booked regionally on the NHS website booked both appointments and those via their GP are contacted later re the second jab. Everyone I know who got their first jab via their GP has been contacted re their second in time
  • Options

That's how it worked for me. Had my jab on Tuesday in a shopping centre in Chatham. Completely exhausted by 10pm that night and took it easy the following day. Feel ok now. 2nd one due in June.
  • Options
    Son had Pfizer early Jan (NHS staff at hospital) and booked both 1st and 2nd at the same time
    Mother had Pfizer mid Jan in our local centre, only booked 1st and was told she'd be contacted when time to book second
    I had AZ at the same centre early Feb, only booked 1st but was given appointment for 2nd jab when I turned up

It does seem a bit random but it seems to be working...
  • Options
    I can only second what people are saying about the NHS booking service. We logged on and booked our first jab and at the end it gave us the option to book our second jabs. All done and dusted, email printed off and a card as well.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Not my understanding of the situation but not entirely unplayable. I saw in a sitrep today that the vaccination programme is currently about 3 weeks ahead if schedule. But it looks like delays will eat into that.

My understanding is people won't get a first jab if there isn't the capacity (guaranteed supply) for their second, bearing in mind the EU shenanigans started a while back and potential delays and disruptions to the supply chain would have been taken into account 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All jabbed up with nowhere to go.
    Just a slight reaction so far. 
    Did you have it in Norfolk ??
    Spanner!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    I don't think there is any link between their experience and the delay to receiving a batch. The majority of people are having their 2nd dose booked in at the same time as their first - this is supposed to be the default for vaccination centres. At the least they should be given booking instructions when receiving their first dose. 

If I was them I wouldn't panic, 2nd doses are not going to be affected by this so they will be able to get it booked its just about working out how. I would keep on at the centre where they got their first dose and hope they get through to someone else who knows what to do. Everyone is supposed to be guaranteed to be able to get their 2nd dose in the same place they got their first if they so choose so its their responsibility to sort.

I'm still incredibly surprised they weren't given anything about booking this at their first dose. Have they re-checked the papers/info they were given then? Has this happened to anyone else?
    I was simply advised I would be invited to book my second jab in due course. Our GP surgery is handling all the invites via text/email messages with a link to the booking app for the local hospital. I only had my first jab 5 weeks ago so a while to go for the second one.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:

Neither myself, my wife, my Mum, my Dad or my mother in law were given any dates or even instructions about the second dose when we received the first dose at our local vaccination centre. Three of us got a call from the surgery for the first dose, two invited by text, so I assume we will hear the same way sometime before the twelve weeks are up.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Southbank said:
    The eu member states have at this moment 7 million doses of AZ sitting in fridges. Von de Leyen is demanding that the eu get it’s fair share of vaccines. The levels of confidence shown by European citizens to take AZ can best be described as low. Too many are refusing the vaccine altogether. In an already vaccine sceptic population the behaviour and language used towards the AZ vaccine by European leaders has been baffling and extremely unhelpful. Today the European Medical Agency will undoubtedly announce that AZ is as safe as any vaccine and recommend it use. Good news but irreparable damage has been done. It’s looking like mainland Europe is on the precipice of a third wave driven by the U.K. variant and in the grip of both vaccine supply and confidence problems. I think the rhetoric coming out of Brussels is rooted in panic and fear. It’s actually hard to think just how much more wrong the European Union could have got this vaccination programme and the reality is now dawning on them. There are important elections coming in both France and Germany and in a world that is lurching right this absolute and completely avoidable crisis is manna from heaven to Le Pen, AfD and other populist parties. A real and genuine stick to beat the opposition. The political ramifications of what’s happening with Covid in mainland Europe are significant. This is not a problem that the U.K. can watch with impunity from the sidelines. Both aspects of this situation in health and politics will have real impact on us too. Without impinging on the U.K. vaccine rollout it’s very important that the U.K. is as helpful as possible to our neighbours. A Europe facing a third Covid wave this summer with a likelihood of a fourth in the autumn and two influential European partners in France and Germany with right wing leaderships is not something we should help facilitate. 
    I think the UK Government has been remarkably unbelligerent in its response to the EU over vaccination and has not sought to raise the temperature, even when the EU temporarily blocked vaccines going through Ireland. I think you are underestimating how much the EU cannot stand the UK being successful in any way post Brexit. Their story to their own people is that Brexit is a massive example of self harm. The fact that almost immediately post Brexit the UK has probably the most successful vaccination programme in the whole world is a massive blow to them politically. This has caused them to panic and then to make things even worse by trying to undermine the Oxford vaccine, thus not only damaging their own vaccine programme, but potentially encouraging anti vaxxers in this country as well.

This is a problem entirely of their own making and may well blow up in their faces politicially. The best thing for us to do is, indeed, keep calm and carry on and not respond to their provocations, except to continue to affirm that the Oxford vaccine is fine.
    I would not suggest the different success or otherwise of the UK and EU vaccination programmes is any indication of the success or otherwise of Brexit. But the behaviour of the EU is very'interesting' if difficult to understand.

They anounced they were going to block exports of a vaccine they then said they didn't want even though their medical body reiterated they approved it.

The outcome seems to be that not only are they potentially jeopardising the health of their own people but there is a realistic possibility of further waves. Which could jeopardise nationals who make up the majority of their tourism and have had both vaccinations travelling there and spending lots of Euros and helping their tourism industry and economy! 

If that happens we'll just go elsewhere (when and where we can)! I also saw today that opening up travel when lockdown is lifted is unlikely. The colleague reporting back said he was putting his holiday stuff away
  • Options
    Yep, Mum and Dad got their appointments via their GP surgery, so that tallies.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:

Neither myself, my wife, my Mum, my Dad or my mother in law were given any dates or even instructions about the second dose when we received the first dose at our local vaccination centre. Three of us got a call from the surgery for the first dose, two invited by text, so I assume we will hear the same way sometime before the twelve weeks are up.
    Yes, that's kind of what happened with us. First jab on 12 Feb. But on the advice of a friend we didn't wait to be contacted for the second jab and went on to the web site to book.  The system knew we had already had jab 1 and booked us in for jab 2 on 30 April.  I wouldn't wait for someone to contact you but get it sorted on-line.
  • Options
    Now there’s a surprise 

Covid-19: EU states to resume AstraZeneca vaccine rollout https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139
  • Options
    Now there’s a surprise 

Covid-19: EU states to resume AstraZeneca vaccine rollout https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139
    Those countries should be ashamed of themselves. 
  • Options
    Now there’s a surprise 

Those countries should be ashamed of themselves. 
    Too true. I think it is one death out of 17million vaccinated due to this blood clot. The death rate of COVID makes the decision of some European Countries to halt vaccinations a disgrace. The spread of COVID is picking up pace in areas of Europe and some are likely to go into a third lockdown. Thousands are going to die because the politicians can’t see the big picture.