Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Addickted said:

Perfect for a Nigel joke, and a prick joke
    It's just a small prick.

"I know" says the nurse.
    At the moment it's full of little pricks when normally it's full of little cnuts. 
  • Options
    I felt top notch for 12 hrs.
    Then I started to feel cold, achy and a small headache.
    I felt freezing in bed so took a couple of paracetamol.
    Woke up next day feeling fine, but later on started to feel achy and really tired and couldn't stop yawning.
    Last night I had a dodgy stomach (could have been the Chinese take away).
    Feel fine today.  
  • Options
    I also felt fine the day I had it. Next day I didn't feel ill, just absolutely knackered. I slept for England - pretty much all day and night. The next day fine again. No sore arm either.
  • Options
    The person who did my jab suggested taking paracetamol soon after the jab as a precaution. He said that to take it when any symptoms start, would be too late as it takes time to reach full effect.
  • Options
    Just had my first jab at Dartford football ground - superbly well organised - I queued for 10 mins - went in - walked out 5 mins later - my 2nd jab was booked at same time for 5th June at 9.00am - that’s the day I’m driving to Bowood in Wiltshire for (hopefully) a golf weekend 😳
    My arm now really hurts - like I have been punched
  • Options
    Me and the missus had our 1st jab today (Astra) had an achy arm , raving headache when I got home, but would rather have had it than not.

Might celebrate with a few pink panther biscuits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    The eu member states have at this moment 7 million doses of AZ sitting in fridges. Von de Leyen is demanding that the eu get it’s fair share of vaccines. The levels of confidence shown by European citizens to take AZ can best be described as low. Too many are refusing the vaccine altogether. In an already vaccine sceptic population the behaviour and language used towards the AZ vaccine by European leaders has been baffling and extremely unhelpful. Today the European Medical Agency will undoubtedly announce that AZ is as safe as any vaccine and recommend it use. Good news but irreparable damage has been done. It’s looking like mainland Europe is on the precipice of a third wave driven by the U.K. variant and in the grip of both vaccine supply and confidence problems. I think the rhetoric coming out of Brussels is rooted in panic and fear. It’s actually hard to think just how much more wrong the European Union could have got this vaccination programme and the reality is now dawning on them. There are important elections coming in both France and Germany and in a world that is lurching right this absolute and completely avoidable crisis is manna from heaven to Le Pen, AfD and other populist parties. A real and genuine stick to beat the opposition. The political ramifications of what’s happening with Covid in mainland Europe are significant. This is not a problem that the U.K. can watch with impunity from the sidelines. Both aspects of this situation in health and politics will have real impact on us too. Without impinging on the U.K. vaccine rollout it’s very important that the U.K. is as helpful as possible to our neighbours. A Europe facing a third Covid wave this summer with a likelihood of a fourth in the autumn and two influential European partners in France and Germany with right wing leaderships is not something we should help facilitate. 
    I think the UK Government has been remarkably unbelligerent in its response to the EU over vaccination and has not sought to raise the temperature, even when the EU temporarily blocked vaccines going through Ireland. I think you are underestimating how much the EU cannot stand the UK being successful in any way post Brexit. Their story to their own people is that Brexit is a massive example of self harm. The fact that almost immediately post Brexit the UK has probably the most successful vaccination programme in the whole world is a massive blow to them politically. This has caused them to panic and then to make things even worse by trying to undermine the Oxford vaccine, thus not only damaging their own vaccine programme, but potentially encouraging anti vaxxers in this country as well.

This is a problem entirely of their own making and may well blow up in their faces politicially. The best thing for us to do is, indeed, keep calm and carry on and not respond to their provocations, except to continue to affirm that the Oxford vaccine is fine.
    Whilst I agree with this, I think you're reading far too much into the EU's member states' actions.  The EU has not suspended the use of AZ, various governments within and without the EU have.  Am I defending these governments' actions?  Not at all, I think they've been very bad, but the EU doesn't have to do anything anti-UK to show their citizens what self-harm Brexit has been.  Our fishing industry is on its knees.  Whatever is decided in Ireland re Republic-NI trade and NI-GB trade will cause problems, indeed is already causing problems with the Loyalist community, which is why Boris is trying to break the deal he signed only recently.  I personally don't know anyone else who exports to the EU but my exports have collapsed and I read horror stories of other businesses.  Have a look here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/16/brexit-deal-bad-evidence-trade - yes, it's in The Grauniad, but read it without prejudice and then come back and tell me what a raging success Brexit has been.  If you disagree with that analysis, look for evidence as to why it's wrong, don't just dismiss it because of where it's published.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    The eu member states have at this moment 7 million doses of AZ sitting in fridges. Von de Leyen is demanding that the eu get it’s fair share of vaccines. The levels of confidence shown by European citizens to take AZ can best be described as low. Too many are refusing the vaccine altogether. In an already vaccine sceptic population the behaviour and language used towards the AZ vaccine by European leaders has been baffling and extremely unhelpful. Today the European Medical Agency will undoubtedly announce that AZ is as safe as any vaccine and recommend it use. Good news but irreparable damage has been done. It’s looking like mainland Europe is on the precipice of a third wave driven by the U.K. variant and in the grip of both vaccine supply and confidence problems. I think the rhetoric coming out of Brussels is rooted in panic and fear. It’s actually hard to think just how much more wrong the European Union could have got this vaccination programme and the reality is now dawning on them. There are important elections coming in both France and Germany and in a world that is lurching right this absolute and completely avoidable crisis is manna from heaven to Le Pen, AfD and other populist parties. A real and genuine stick to beat the opposition. The political ramifications of what’s happening with Covid in mainland Europe are significant. This is not a problem that the U.K. can watch with impunity from the sidelines. Both aspects of this situation in health and politics will have real impact on us too. Without impinging on the U.K. vaccine rollout it’s very important that the U.K. is as helpful as possible to our neighbours. A Europe facing a third Covid wave this summer with a likelihood of a fourth in the autumn and two influential European partners in France and Germany with right wing leaderships is not something we should help facilitate. 
    I think the UK Government has been remarkably unbelligerent in its response to the EU over vaccination and has not sought to raise the temperature, even when the EU temporarily blocked vaccines going through Ireland. I think you are underestimating how much the EU cannot stand the UK being successful in any way post Brexit. Their story to their own people is that Brexit is a massive example of self harm. The fact that almost immediately post Brexit the UK has probably the most successful vaccination programme in the whole world is a massive blow to them politically. This has caused them to panic and then to make things even worse by trying to undermine the Oxford vaccine, thus not only damaging their own vaccine programme, but potentially encouraging anti vaxxers in this country as well.

This is a problem entirely of their own making and may well blow up in their faces politicially. The best thing for us to do is, indeed, keep calm and carry on and not respond to their provocations, except to continue to affirm that the Oxford vaccine is fine.
    Whilst I agree with this, I think you're reading far too much into the EU's member states' actions.  The EU has not suspended the use of AZ, various governments within and without the EU have.  Am I defending these governments' actions?  Not at all, I think they've been very bad, but the EU doesn't have to do anything anti-UK to show their citizens what self-harm Brexit has been.  Our fishing industry is on its knees.  Whatever is decided in Ireland re Republic-NI trade and NI-GB trade will cause problems, indeed is already causing problems with the Loyalist community, which is why Boris is trying to break the deal he signed only recently.  I personally don't know anyone else who exports to the EU but my exports have collapsed and I read horror stories of other businesses.  Have a look here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/16/brexit-deal-bad-evidence-trade - yes, it's in The Grauniad, but read it without prejudice and then come back and tell me what a raging success Brexit has been.  If you disagree with that analysis, look for evidence as to why it's wrong, don't just dismiss it because of where it's published.
    Surely, individual countries stopping the use of one of the vaccines is a separate issue to the EU’s (Von der Leyen’s) threat to stop exporting it ?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56410179

Blimey,  people getting fussy about what vaccine they receive in the US. Johnson &Johnson getting a bad press. Even local Catholic Church authorities  advising against it. Didn't realise they haven't authorised use of AZ there yet.
  • Options
    Regardless of the ridiculous shenanigans around the world which do impact on the U.K. the most important thing by far is that our vaccines roll out continues apace and is having a very significant and beneficial effect. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chaz Hill said:

Blimey,  people getting fussy about what vaccine they receive in the US. Johnson &Johnson getting a bad press. Even local Catholic Church authorities  advising against it. Didn't realise they haven't authorised use of AZ there yet.
    As I understand it, it only costs about $3 and gets sold at cost thanks to the UK government fronting the research money (somebody correct on that please) so in the land of the free...dom to make big pharma profits I’d expect the AZ vaccine may not have a lot of appeal in some quarters 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chaz Hill said:

As I understand it, it only costs about $3 and gets sold at cost thanks to the UK government fronting the research money (somebody correct on that please) so in the land of the free...dom to make big pharma profits I’d expect the AZ vaccine may not have a lot of appeal in some quarters 
    Good point. Probably just as well as it would cause more supply problems here as the manufacturing supply train (particularly from India) seems to be struggling at present.
  • Options
    Can we have the Coronavirus thread back please, I am missing  Clive.
    Let’s rebel against the mods and make this the new covid thread......so, who wants to start with their political views?

Ok, but don't let them know what we are doing.
  • Options
    I'm having my second astrazeneca jab on Friday but does anyone know if it takes a few weeks to build up any further immunity after being told it takes 2/3 weeks after the first jab?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let’s rebel against the mods and make this the new covid thread......so, who wants to start with their political views?

Nice try lads :) We've reopened the Covid thread now, so you can go back to posting non-vaccine related stuff over there.

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Nice try lads :) We've reopened the Covid thread now, so you can go back to posting non-vaccine related stuff over there.

Thank you Ali, for getting Covid thread back
  • Options
    I'm having my second astrazeneca jab on Friday but does anyone know if it takes a few weeks to build up any further immunity after being told it takes 2/3 weeks after the first jab?
    I'm also having my second jab on Friday , I understand that full benefit of the jab takes 3 weeks , about the same time as the first jab
  • Options
    I'm also having my second jab on Friday , I understand that full benefit of the jab takes 3 weeks , about the same time as the first jab
    I believe its the same for both AZ and Pfizer
  • Options
    I believe its the same for both AZ and Pfizer
    It is. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    stonemuse said:

The UK has seen a new record for the most coronavirus jabs given out over 24 hours, the second time in consecutive days that figure has been broken.

A total of 711,156 doses were given across the UK on Friday, vaccinations minister Nadhim Zahawi confirmed on Saturday. 589,675 of those were first doses and 121,481 were second.

Well that record didn’t last long.
    873,000 doses yesterday. That means that 2.62% of the UK adult population received a dose of COVID vaccination in the last two days.
    Wow.
    Just Wow!

The average of daily deaths is now 98, the first time it has been below three figures since the start of October.
    Amazing numbers

It shows the infrastructure available if we need to roll out a mass booster programme in the autumn
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    stonemuse said:

The UK has seen a new record for the most coronavirus jabs given out over 24 hours, the second time in consecutive days that figure has been broken.

A total of 711,156 doses were given across the UK on Friday, vaccinations minister Nadhim Zahawi confirmed on Saturday. 589,675 of those were first doses and 121,481 were second.

Well that record didn’t last long.
    873,000 doses yesterday. That means that 2.62% of the UK adult population received a dose of COVID vaccination in the last two days.
    Wow.
    Just Wow!

The average of daily deaths is now 98, the first time it has been below three figures since the start of October.
    Fantastic 
  • Options
    Many thanks Red... Much appreciated.