Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    Anyone know how to find the booking reference? I've lost mine for my second jab and have no emails or texts? Very strange.
    If you booked via the national system and didn’t get an confirmation email or text then it is highly likely you didn’t complete a successful booking.
  • Options
    Anyone know how to find the booking reference? I've lost mine for my second jab and have no emails or texts? Very strange.
    Try to book a second jab. If it lets you you haven't booked already.
    If it doesn't it may give you the existing details.
  • Options
    Not sure a civil liberties argument stacks up for care home staff. To me it's a bit like smoking indoors in the sense that the argument of personal choice/freedoms is overidden by the potential risk to others. 
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Not sure a civil liberties argument stacks up for care home staff. To me it's a bit like smoking indoors in the sense that the argument of personal choice/freedoms is overidden by the potential risk to others. 

But the civil liberties argument is a red herring. Nobody (I hope) is advocating forced vaccination against the will of the individual - but having a genuine occupational requirement is absolutely fine. No vaccine - work in another sector.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Civil liberties do not give you the right to put vulnerable people at risk or forgo basic duty of care.

If you're too selfish/ ignorant/ ill informed or just don't want to take a vaccine then that's your look out but you don't get to put vulnerable people's health at serious or potentially fatal risk in the same way alcoholics don't get to drive school buses.

Should be counter legal cases herein should it transpire that anti vax "carers" (ironic) who pose a risk are allowed to be in such close contact with such a critically at risk section of our society on a daily basis in a pandemic.

Millions could't see families,, let alone give them a hug, the economy had been shot to bits with people's careers on hold or down the toilet and we cant live a normal life.... but divvy Doris can spend 8 hours a day moving old folk around in their rooms and cleaning their teeth inbetween anti vax protests and posting on conspiracy Facebook pages because it's her "right" to put others at extreme risk.

Fuck doris and anyone who legally defends her and her ilk.

Get in the real world ffs.
    I’m not defending people who won’t get vaccinated. I 100% think all care home staff should be vaccinated. In fact I would go as far as to say that all public employees should be required but at this point it is a civil liberties issue because that’s how this proposal will be resisted. It’s exactly why the government have resisted the urge to bring in some sort of vaccine passport. 
    I know there would still be some civil liberty issues for some, but if a vaccine passport was introduced and it was left to employers, establishments, businesses etc... whether you had access if you did not have a passport, alongside the ability to travel abroad. Surely the Government could still not force people to have the vaccine, but in effect they would have to forgo jobs and social opportunities if they don't. I would imagine all care homes would insist on its workers being vaccinated rather than the Government having to. That level of inconvenience would take all but the most avid anti-vaxers out of the equation.
  • Options
    Tonight on BBC2 Horizon Special: The vaccine
    Today21:00

The extraordinary inside story of the biggest scientific challenge of our age – following a small band of vaccine scientists around the world who took on Covid-19 and ultimately delivered the weapon to beat it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000x2tf

• Options
    My colleague, head of employment law, talked about this on BBC Essex this morning. At about 37 mins if anyone is interested. Ben Fryer - 16/06/2021 - BBC Sounds
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Just brought my second dose forward three weeks to mid-July.

Loads of spaces available at the London Bridge centres.
    Was that on the NHS booking website? I’m eligible to bring mine forward but am a bit wary of doing it on there as I have to cancel my existing booking 1st. I don’t want to cancel and then find that there isn’t any availability at any local centres and then can’t get my original booking back again, if that makes sense!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Covid vaccinations are to become compulsory for staff at care homes in England, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

Mr Hancock said it was a "sensible and reasonable step" and he would consult on extending it to the NHS.

There are no plans to extend mandatory vaccinations beyond health and care workers, he said.

Workers will have 16 weeks to get both jabs from the time regulations are approved by Parliament.

If they do not, they face being redeployed away from front-line care or potentially losing their job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57492264

• Options
    GD78 said:
    WSS said:

Was that on the NHS booking website? I’m eligible to bring mine forward but am a bit wary of doing it on there as I have to cancel my existing booking 1st. I don’t want to cancel and then find that there isn’t any availability at any local centres and then can’t get my original booking back again, if that makes sense!
    Yep, had to cancel first. I suppose it depends where you can go to get it. Guys has ridiculous capacity compared to a local pharmacy I suppose.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    GD78 said:
    WSS said:

Yep, had to cancel first. I suppose it depends where you can go to get it. Guys has ridiculous capacity compared to a local pharmacy I suppose.
    Cheers, just logged on and got myself booked in for next Thursday at boots in bluewater!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, was booked in Thurrock for 19/8 - now 29/7 in Sidcup. 

We had to go to Essex for our first jabs but we had Gravesend, Swanley and Sidcup to pick from this time. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Thanks for the tips, was booked in Thurrock for 19/8 - now 29/7 in Sidcup. 

We had to go to Essex for our first jabs but we had Gravesend, Swanley and Sidcup to pick from this time. 
    I can see why you went for Sidcup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All over-18s in England can book Covid jab from Friday

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has just confirmed that everyone aged 18 and over in England will be able to book their Covid-19 vaccine from tomorrow.

Speaking at the NHS Confed conference, Hancock says a first dose has now been given to four out of five adults.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57508400

• Options
    Pop up clinics latest

Eltham West

Day and time: Friday 18 June, 10am – 4:30pm
    Booking information: no booking required, this is a walk-in clinic offering first and second doses, Pfizer vaccine
    Further information: For people aged 23 and above living in Eltham West area, you do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.

https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/what-we-do/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/pop-up-clinics/

• Options
    As people turn 18 over the next year, will they then be invited for a jab? Or will they have to book them themselves?
  • Options
    Just got my first dose at the walk in centre on the peninsula. A lot of the volunteers were CACT staff and maintained an excellent atmosphere in the queue (hour and a half) despite the rain. 

Just waiting for my super powers to kick in. 

They had done nearly 400 there this morning.
    Great news, glad you got it mate, and sounds like they’re doing a great job at the walk in centre. 
  • Options
    Just had 3 yellow vested vaccine awareness staff come and knock the front door near Westcombe Park, was on the phone so didn’t have time to chat and all adults here double vaccinated but shows what a push there is 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    clive said:

Covid vaccinations are to become compulsory for staff at care homes in England, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

Mr Hancock said it was a "sensible and reasonable step" and he would consult on extending it to the NHS.

There are no plans to extend mandatory vaccinations beyond health and care workers, he said.

Workers will have 16 weeks to get both jabs from the time regulations are approved by Parliament.

If they do not, they face being redeployed away from front-line care or potentially losing their job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57492264

There was similar trouble maker grumbling about compulsory HIV testing for all medical employees 35 odd years ago when that was introduced.  A tiny element among my then partner's (nurse) colleagues made a lot of "it's against my human rights/privacy" noise at the time.  The value to themselves eventually shut up most of them, the foil hat brigade quietly left the hospital.

Railing against this when one is actively engaged in a caring role is just flat out perverse.  It makes as much sense as caring for some poor old dear 6 days a week but leaving het to her own devices on Sundays.  Or washing your hands between attending to clients but not after taking a dump.
    If the protection for oneself doesn't override the resistance to having something "imposed" on them, then their actual adequacy in a caring role is fatally undermined.

No new measure announced by Hancock is gonna get a fair hearing tho is it?  He is officially acknowledged as absolutely fucking hopeless for over a year by his good friend and boss...
  • Options
    If a person is over 40 can they book an earlier appointment for 2nd dose?.
  • Options
    If a person is over 40 can they book an earlier appointment for 2nd dose?.

How can I bring my second dose forward?

All vaccines being used require two doses to provide the best protection. In order to give as many people as possible a first dose, the initial UK advice was to offer jabs 12 weeks apart.

In England people over 40 and those with severe underlying health conditions can now receive their second dose after eight weeks.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the NHS would contact people to bring forward their appointments.

You can also rearrange an appointment yourself, but you must first cancel your original booking. You can do this online, or by calling 119. You cannot see availability for earlier appointments until you have cancelled.

Your second dose will be the same type as your first. It may be easier to arrange an earlier jab for AstraZeneca as supplies are relatively good. Pfizer is being used alongside Moderna for under-30s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

• Options
    In England people over 40 and those with severe underlying health conditions can now receive their second dose after eight weeks.

So only these people?.