Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are We Getting Promoted This Season?

Comments

• edited March 2021
    New manager bounce and we have a good chance.

However, on a yes or no basis I'm saying no.
  • edited March 2021
    Think we will finish just outside the play offs, 7th or 8th. Would be good momentum for next season if we could sneak into 6th place. 

Don’t think we have the quality to navigate the play offs though.

if we don’t win today then it’s all irrelevant.
  • Think we have to give it a go. Adkins can get a good look at his squad and see what is required next season regardless of the division we'll be in.
  • edited March 2021
    55 points at the moment, 10 games left to play, 7 wins needed out of 10 to make the playoffs, would be a heck of an ask, and a heck of an achievement given our inconsistency, still wondering whether to get valley pass for the rest of the season or my national trust pass....
  • Doubt it but the hope is back.
  • That is exactly how I feel cfgs
  • edited March 2021
    Depends whether we get enough points to finish 6th and then win the play offs I guess 
  • Step one, get in the plays off, I give us 50/50 now I think a bit of momentum could be with us albeit with a lack of defensive stability.

Step two, just my opinion, we need Sunderland to nick an automatic, I think they are best side up there currently and they show no sign of slipping up.  

I think over two legs it’s anyone’s game excluding the current top three.  

I’d be fearful of Peterborough or Hull in the final but you’ve gotta beat someone good to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Play offs? If we had held on to the leads we threw away at Swindon and Shrewsbury and had won the home games we should have we would be clear at the top. In October /November we were clearly the best team in the league, why did that change? 

I know it’s ifs and buts, for me a wasted opportunity to have gotten promoted at the first attempt  and not going to happen now. 

The only plus side for me will be the chance (covid allowing) to go to Crewe and Lincoln ( they are dropping away and won’t go up) next season.

• Win play offs   3.5%
    losing finalists   4.5%
    losing semi finalists     12%
    7th below     80%
    We need a thread for just @oohaahmortimer to post after each game his percentages. It would be interesting for saddos like me to watch it change.
  • Innis and Famewo together and fit, Washington maintains his form, Chuks/Stockley rotating, Jaiyesimi gets a starting berth, JFC and Shinnie providing the creativity, Albie making a nuisance of himself.

I still believe that we have one of the best starting 11s in the league when all fit - the key will be Adkins identifying what that 11 is, and his undoubted tactical experience and man management style (both superior to Bows) might, just might, allow us to go on a sustained run all the way to the play-offs. If that is achieved, especially with wins in the closing stages against potential play-off opponents, then I think promotion is possible. It would be a huge bonus from a very hit and miss season.

Glass half full.
  • Bob has this right. Win today then pressure is on our opponents for the run in. 
  • AndyG said:
    Bob has this right. Win today then pressure is on our opponents for the run in. 
    Unfortunately the team bowyer and Gallen have put together are not good enough. There is only so much a new manager can do with the players at his disposal, we have invested in the wrong areas and are painfully bad at the back. 

Still plumping for a mid table finish this season. 
  • Play offs? If we had held on to the leads we threw away at Swindon and Shrewsbury and had won the home games we should have we would be clear at the top. In October /November we were clearly the best team in the league, why did that change? 

I know it’s ifs and buts, for me a wasted opportunity to have gotten promoted at the first attempt  and not going to happen now. 

The only plus side for me will be the chance (covid allowing) to go to Crewe and Lincoln ( they are dropping away and won’t go up) next season.

Same. The only, albeit tiny consolation, of not going up will be going to those grounds plus perhaps Forest Green, Newport, Salford or Morecambe. And Wimbledon if they stay up. Other than that, get me out of this horror division. 
  • Probably won’t make the play offs but I hope we give it a good go. 75pts is not beyond us. I reckon 4/1 to reach the play offs and 3/1 to win them if we get there so 12/1 to get promoted.
  • Probably won’t make the play offs but I hope we give it a good go. 75pts is not beyond us. I reckon 4/1 to reach the play offs and 3/1 to win them if we get there so 12/1 to get promoted.

Best price 25/1 (with my mob)
  • Win play offs   3.5%
    losing finalists   4.5%
    losing semi finalists     12%
    7th below     80%
    At last!!!
  • bobmunro said:
    Probably won’t make the play offs but I hope we give it a good go. 75pts is not beyond us. I reckon 4/1 to reach the play offs and 3/1 to win them if we get there so 12/1 to get promoted.

Best price 25/1 (with my mob)
    What do bookies know?! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• With a new era beginning I’m optimistic. I expect that to change at about 15:06 today.

But if it does happen it’ll look something like this...

• It will all come crashing down when Washington comes back from International duty with an injury......and the break upsets the run we are currently on. The first happened with Taylor last season & the second happened last November. This time we will combine the 2.
  • Reckon we have a 5ish % chance of going up. Probably about 1 in 4 chance of making the play offs and then 1 in 4 again to win that
  • Need to aim for Lincoln’s place in the top 6. 
  • CHARLTON owner Thomas Sandgaard told new boss Nigel Adkins: “Get us up — I’ve already booked my flight for the play-off final.”
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14397705/charlton-owner-sandgaard-nigel-adkins/
  • Don’t think we have the quality in all positions to get promoted through the playoffs. 
    But you never know. 
  • Can’t see any way we’re going on an amazing winning run. Our defence is often appalling. I think we’ll finish about 9th or 10th
  • clive said:
    CHARLTON owner Thomas Sandgaard told new boss Nigel Adkins: “Get us up — I’ve already booked my flight for the play-off final.”
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14397705/charlton-owner-sandgaard-nigel-adkins/
    I really don't think this kind of thing is helpful.
  • I thought 7th to 9th at the beginning of the season and since watching every match since early November on valley pass, Charlton have played like a mid table team.
    I was out watching football so didn't watch when we were keeping clean sheets and winning 1-0.

Personally I think the most important thing is to have a team in place that can not only finish 1st or 2nd but that the same players can be competitive in the Championship.
    Brilliant to win in the play off at Wembley but we don't have a Taylor, Cullen, Bielik or an Aribo in this team.

If Thomas, Johnnie and Steve Gallen can go to work early, similar to Chris Powell did when we brought in a whole new squad, that may be better than getting a new squad in the championship.

Ideally you would only want to add 4 or 5 players to a League 1 promoted squad.
    We would need to add a dozen at least and that would be tougher in the championship than having a rebuild in League1.

No from me but still important that we win more than we lose over the next 11 games.