Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Two draws and a defeat, GD of -3 after 3 games, very early days and I presume they have business to conclude still but not the best of starts.

Hopefully he'll turn it around and pick up some wins soon, if he doesn't do well at Wimbledon then he might struggle to get more work sadly.
    They beat gillingham on the first day of the season. They have 5 points from 4 games with a goal difference of -1.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Two draws and a defeat, GD of -3 after 3 games, very early days and I presume they have business to conclude still but not the best of starts.

Hopefully he'll turn it around and pick up some wins soon, if he doesn't do well at Wimbledon then he might struggle to get more work sadly.
    They beat gillingham on the first day of the season. They have 5 points from 4 games with a goal difference of -1.
    Mea culpa then. Still looking like we got the better of the deal mind you.

I should probably say for clarity that this isn't meant as a dig or a gotcha, I genuinely want Jackson to do well as a coach/manager, but it does look like the right call to replace him... Unfortunately.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I should probably say for clarity that this isn't meant as a dig or a gotcha, I genuinely want Jackson to do well as a coach/manager, but it does look like the right call to replace him... Unfortunately.
    It was definitely the right call.

wimbledon will give him time and their results will improve. They were broken when he joined and hadn't won since last December, it will take a bit of time to break that losing/failure mentality. 

They were leading going into the final 10 minutes of a few games last season and either drew or lost. Once doncaster got one on Saturday, there were always going to get another. He needs to install a bit of belief first, then results will pick up. I reckon they will make the play offs
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Dave2l said:
    thenewbie said:

It's a long old season. Wouldn't write him off.

The bloke is playing Chris Gunter at right wing back.. I'm sorry to say but he is a write off.
  • Options
    JFC is rightly a legend here but is another example of ex players that do their coaching badges and then give it a go managing a league club. Not many succeed and I think he would have been far better off learning the job in non league. Last year he was exposed tactically on so many occasions I felt sorry for him. 
    I honestly dont think he will do anything at AFC unfortunately and will be under pressure before xmas 
  • Options
    Gunter - what a liability.
    I'd like to thank JJ for taking him to AFC.
  • Options
    Gunter - what a liability.
    I'd like to thank JJ for taking him to AFC.
    He was out of contract so it wasn't as if JJ was doing us a favour.
  • Options

• Options
    Sandgaard made the correct decision. 
    Yes it was. Garner is taking us in a very positive direction and I doubt any of us would swap him for Jacko at this point.

Doesn't mean it wasn't extremely harsh on JJ a few months ago. I'll maintain that he was badly let down by the players, as was Adkins and Bowyer before him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Yes it was. Garner is taking us in a very positive direction and I doubt any of us would swap him for Jacko at this point.

Doesn't mean it wasn't extremely harsh on JJ a few months ago. I'll maintain that he was badly let down by the players, as was Adkins and Bowyer before him.
    Im going to be careful with my words because I don’t think JJ is a ‘bad’ coach in the sense that he is utterly clueless and has no idea what he is doing. And also we are so early into the season we don’t know if Garner can keep this going. 

However I do think JJ was a systematic part in a coaching set up which played ‘basic’ football that on the whole will never lead to long term success.

As has been mentioned on this forum recently look how much the sport has progressed in recent years and look at the strength of the football league, from our division to the national league. Last year when we were constantly bypassing our midfield and getting ‘out played’ by teams like Gateshead and Hartlepool it said it all to me. 

We had 9 outfield players who played last year Tuesday and we never saw anything close to that performance last year. 
  • Options

Im going to be careful with my words because I don’t think JJ is a ‘bad’ coach in the sense that he is utterly clueless and has no idea what he is doing. And also we are so early into the season we don’t know if Garner can keep this going. 

However I do think JJ was a systematic part in a coaching set up which played ‘basic’ football that on the whole will never lead to long term success.

As has been mentioned on this forum recently look how much the sport has progressed in recent years and look at the strength of the football league, from our division to the national league. Last year when we were constantly bypassing our midfield and getting ‘out played’ by teams like Gateshead and Hartlepool it said it all to me. 

We had 9 outfield players who played last year Tuesday and we never saw anything close to that performance last year. 
    Spot on. Plymouth played us off the park last year and it was complete roles reversed this time round. 

Am sure he will do fine for Wimbledon, but I’m very glad TS pulled the trigger when he did and appointed BG. And I thought it was harsh at the time.
  • Options

Come on, look at our results and performances, sacking JJ was not extremely harsh at all. Take the sentimental stuff out of it and it’s a total no brainer.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Spot on. Plymouth played us off the park last year and it was complete roles reversed this time round. 

Am sure he will do fine for Wimbledon, but I’m very glad TS pulled the trigger when he did and appointed BG. And I thought it was harsh at the time.
    I'm not sure Plymouth did play us off the park last season.  Despite their long unbeaten run at the top of the table, we beat them 2-0 with a very convincing performance at The Valley. Credit to Jacko where it was due, I think.

They also beat us 1-0 so he may have been referring to that game. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Come on, look at our results and performances, sacking JJ was not extremely harsh at all. Take the sentimental stuff out of it and it’s a total no brainer.
    Don’t want to go over old ground but he took us from bottom four to mid table. I still think that was grounds for giving him another go at it this season. Hence calling the decision harsh. There was no guarantee the next manager was going to be better.

Still, Thomas gambled and made the right choice because we are playing well and winning football games with the new bloke.

They can be both things are the same time: correct decision while being harsh on the man let go.

He barely improved us at all though in the end. Can't remember exactly but I worked it out when he was given the boot and he only got us 2 more points against the same teams Adkins had as his first 13 games before he was sacked. The football was dire and he clearly didn't have much of a game plan other than throwing 11 players into his formation and expecting it to work. He ended up making the team less than the sum of its parts somehow. Christ knows what we worked on in training as we played like strangers and were so easy to get carved open again and again.
  • Options
    I think some people perhaps forget when JJ had a fully fit squad and was caretaker (which I always said should have remained until the season's end) he did really well. He certainly did enough to be a league 1 manager. And in that prolonged period (around the time we played MK Dons at the valley) we had no forwards available except for a completely ineffective Mason Burstow (wholly overrated) and I don't believe any manager would have got that depleted team to beat MK Dons et Al. 

It's early days with Garnerball. We can judge him when, like JJ, he has noone available tonnes of injuries and the world calling for his head.  If Garner can still do the magic then, and ONLY then, can we comprehensively say it was the right decision. Until then let's enjoy the honeymoon period with this near fully fit large squad with lots more quality in it than was at jJ's disposal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Looks that way at the moment but I will always love JJ.  I really hope he does well there.  
    Agreed. He's a club legend make no mistake.
  • Options

I get your point about long term success maybe but looking at the 3 teams that went up from league 1 last season they are closer to Jackson in style than they are to Garner-ball so I think there is still a place for that football at this level. Our style now is a lot more pleasing on the eye, but what really matters is having players to suit your style which Jackson never really had the chance to get in. 

I think AFC is a tough job for him, they hadn’t won since December so most expected a slow start and mid table finish from them this year. If he gets them in the play offs then he’s done very well, probably a similar level of challenge to what Garner has here so it will be interesting to compare how they do
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Jackson successfully argued that there was no way Gunter would be bothered enough by club football to get sent off.
    Have you seen their kit? He thought he was playing for Wales 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RC_CAFC said:

I'm not sure Plymouth did play us off the park last season.  Despite their long unbeaten run at the top of the table, we beat them 2-0 with a very convincing performance at The Valley. Credit to Jacko where it was due, I think.

Apologies, I was thinking of the away game. You are right in the home game we did win.

Camara was the best player on the pitch in both but the team around him our home game didn’t play well at all.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

It was definitely the right call.

wimbledon will give him time and their results will improve. They were broken when he joined and hadn't won since last December, it will take a bit of time to break that losing/failure mentality. 

They were leading going into the final 10 minutes of a few games last season and either drew or lost. Once doncaster got one on Saturday, there were always going to get another. He needs to install a bit of belief first, then results will pick up. I reckon they will make the play offs
    They also lost 3 of their best players to Huddersfield, Reading and Sheff Weds.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Don’t want to go over old ground but he took us from bottom four to mid table. I still think that was grounds for giving him another go at it this season. Hence calling the decision harsh. There was no guarantee the next manager was going to be better.

Still, Thomas gambled and made the right choice because we are playing well and winning football games with the new bloke.

They can be both things are the same time: correct decision while being harsh on the man let go.

He barely improved us at all though in the end. Can't remember exactly but I worked it out when he was given the boot and he only got us 2 more points against the same teams Adkins had as his first 13 games before he was sacked. The football was dire and he clearly didn't have much of a game plan other than throwing 11 players into his formation and expecting it to work. He ended up making the team less than the sum of its parts somehow. Christ knows what we worked on in training as we played like strangers and were so easy to get carved open again and again.
    Jackson successfully stopped the rot, but once opponents sussed our new tactics, we drifted back into mid table mediocrity.

The things that irritated me was that while I could excuse us struggling against "smaller" clubs because they were more physical than us, nastier and nigglier, that generally wasn't the case. Too many of these teams played better football than us, they looked better coached, despite having far small budgets.

Hopefully he'll have learned from his experience, and with the chance to start afresh and build a new side over the summer.
    I completely echo this.

Under Jackson we would have some great individual and team performances, but on the whole we would spend many a game being completely outplayed. 

Whilst opposition teams had players flooding through the middle of the park and picking the ball up on the edge of the box, we would either be kicking it long or ending up with 3 of our attacking players stuck in the corner next the oppositions corner flag.
  • Options
    I'll watch an AFC game in a few months and see if they're setup similar to us last season.
  • Options
    Wimbledon fans expect promotion, not sure they get it with him at the helm, unfortunately