Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March | 6pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    2-0 defeat and the shit show goes on. But we will be so unlucky and not deserve to lose. The turning point will be making 5 subs at half time and Amos getting sent off for biting the head off a pigeon in the 47th minute. 
    That would be more entertaining than the lumpy custard we are currently being served.
  • Options
    Bowyer's unprofessional outpouring on the subject of "player missing out cos he's not been good enough" smelled very strongly at the time of Oshilaja - he's been awful and at least partly culpable in many of the recent goals conceded.
    Can't argue that DO's not good enough - trouble is who stands to replace him?
    I'm assuming Famewo is selected, mainly cos there's actually nobody else.
    Gunter, with Matthews in at right back?  Maybe, but for all his experience it ain't CG's natural position and he's not been wonderful in that role so far this season.
    Jason Pearce is woefully short of pace, relies on borderline illegal physical contact and his lack of playing time this season has shown up in some frankly ghastly performances - his shortcomings are painfully exposed.  He's more talented than DO (!) but nowhere near the mark athletically.
    Pratley's suspended
    Watson has filled in there in the past, not for us so far and is nearly as glacial as JP.
    Charlie Barker is probably the most talented centre half at the club but at just 18 has been pulled back some distance from the first team since his early season baptism.
    I'd have to go for the Gunter & Matthews option and cross all my fingers and toes.  Put Watson in front of the back 4 with instructions not to cross the halfway line at any time.  Tell the back 4 & Amos to get the ball out of our defensive half at the first opportunity - absolutely no pissing around at the back with the ball - none of them is good enough.
    Lightweight shirkers like Smith & Jaiyesimi can stay at home 
    Chuks won't be fit for more than 50 odd minutes so he'll have to be on the bench.
    Stockley up front with Washington & Schwartz for close support
    And a battling midfield out of whoever else is fit
  • Options
    Ok so in their last 5 matches they have favoured a 4-3-1-2 but only slightly more than a 5-4-1.  With the 4-3-1-2 they control possession more (averaging 55% whereas the 5-4-1 sees them stand off and only have the ball around 30% of the time.  We have shown earlier in the season we are a better team when not in possession so you have to hope they go with a 4-3-1-2

recent formations
    Robinson, Tilt, Wootton and Darikwa at the back.  They are fairly settled recently

Midfield is where they seem to be rather irregular with Ojo being the one consistent presence and slightly deeper that the others.  Asgaard on the left and Keane or Lang in the middle

Lang and Solomon-Otabor swapping between up front and in midfield -  with either Dodoo or Proctor up top.

Their last 5 at home however is slightly different (results as follows 1-2, 0-5, 2-3, 0-5, 0-0)

They favour a 4-4-2 (with 51% possession) slightly more than a 4-2-3-1 which has yielded a 58% possession (but with an aggregate score of 0-9
    They tend to keep possession at home despite results not being at all good

Right back, Darikwa, tends to drift forwards a lot so if Millar is on song he could get some joy tonight - the left full back is a little more disciplined.
    Wooton and Tilt are 6'4 and 6'2 respectively so the long ball option may not favour us tonight - perhaps Ronnie gets a run out with Chuks/Jayden as movement might be what the doctor orders tonight as opposed to brute force.

I'll be putting myself through another evening of Charlton tonight and I have to say I hope it provides a bit more entertainment than the last few games!!

COYA

• Options
    first things first we need the officials to get things right that would be a massive boost plus we just need that lucky break .. but to be fair there not much wrong away from home and you can see a scrappy 1/0 win us tonight ...

Team selection like to see 352 

Amos

Gunter
    Pearce
    Famewo

Shinnie — right WB
    Watson 
    Morgan 
    Purrington left WB
    Millar  number 10 role 

Ronnie S
    Aneke 

Stockley been brilliant but we need to get back playing football on the deck like we was earlier in the season 

If JFC and Gilby were fit they would play in place of Watson and Morgan 
  • Options
    Why 6pm? Fuck the fans eh?
    It's because Wigan can't afford to have the floodlights on too long.

Or

Northerners don't go to work so can watch the match when most workers are on their commute home

Or

We want to finish & get started back home before the roadworks on the M1 mean a detour via the A1, Grantham & Cambridge.
    they went by train ...
  • Options
    Why 6pm? Fuck the fans eh?
    It's because Wigan can't afford to have the floodlights on too long.

Or

Northerners don't go to work so can watch the match when most workers are on their commute home

Or

We want to finish & get started back home before the roadworks on the M1 mean a detour via the A1, Grantham & Cambridge.
    they went by train ...
    They'll come back by coach though. The team coach will have gone up separately from the players
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Post AFCON Freddie Bulot was fantastic looking back wasn’t he
    But didn't go on to do alot after leaving us.

He left aged 25, went on to play for 3 years in France.  He scored 1 in 16 games in Ligue 1, then 1 in 11 in L2.

He then went to Japan and played about a dozen games (1 assist, 0 goals), Malaysia (7 games no goals and then Cyprus where he's played a couple of games for 17 minutes

He's still only 30 but has fallen somewhat from grace!  Since leaving us in 2015 he has amassed 2 goals and 1 assist.  He does however have a fuckton of air miles :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Law of averages 
    decent footballers can’t be shit forever
    even managers who’ve lost the plot can have good days 

Wigan 1 Charlton 4 

Good away form continues , with similar away  numbers as normal in the stand the players feel comfortable with it 

please get us out of this excuse of a league , yes it’s appropriate with the amount of excuses some of our fans and manager have but it’s not for me thank you .

It still could happen with our current form, but I think we'll have just enough points to survive
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dizzle said:
    Post AFCON Freddie Bulot was fantastic looking back wasn’t he
    But didn't go on to do alot after leaving us.

He left aged 25, went on to play for 3 years in France.  He scored 1 in 16 games in Ligue 1, then 1 in 11 in L2.

He then went to Japan and played about a dozen games (1 assist, 0 goals), Malaysia (7 games no goals and then Cyprus where he's played a couple of games for 17 minutes

He's still only 30 but has fallen somewhat from grace!  Since leaving us in 2015 he has amassed 2 goals and 1 assist.  He does however have a fuckton of air miles :-)
    He was a very capable / dangerous player when on his game - just goes to show how a lot of it is down to desire and application  
  • Options
    Wigan 2 - Charlton 1.....the slide continues and if we stick with LB a relegation battle to finish the season
  • Options
    Call me a nostalgic fool but I really didn't mind the Roland years as much as most people did! It was bonkers and stupid but we were staffed with a bemusing cocktail of dross and brilliance and it was, like, real, y'know
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Call me a nostalgic fool but I really didn't mind the Roland years as much as most people did! It was bonkers and stupid but we were staffed with a bemusing cocktail of dross and brilliance and it was, like, real, y'know
    Farking hell. It might not be the stupidest comment I've ever read on here, but it's certainly the stupidest comment I can remember reading on here.
  • Options
    We’ve gone from Bulot, Vetokele, JBG to Washington, Schwartz and Jaiyesemi 

How far we’ve fallen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So which players shall we be missing?

We started this last game:

Reading between the lines of the pre & post match interviews against Blackpool, it seems Oshilaja and Shinnie have both cost us goals of late due to mistakes. Jaiyesimi has also been blamed a couple of times for goals conceded too. It was insinuated Washington was also not doing enough so I'm thinking he may be back on the bench. 

I expect Bowyer to go with this:

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Famewo | Maatsen
    Morgan | Watson | Smith | Millar
    Stockley | Schwartz
    There has got to be serious question marks over 9 of the 11 that started Saturday hasn't there?

Amos will play, as to will Stockley. 

Is Famewo ready to play 2 games back to back?  Did Millar get a knock, if not he is covered in the next point.  The 4 that were subed at half time really shouldn't start, if they were "blamed" for that 1st half showing.

Pratley is suspended anyway. Player x could be anyone but Gunter, Shinnie and Oshilaja (most peoples favourite) have all been mentioned.

I'll be shocked if Morgan starts, I'll be shocked if Watson doesn't. 
  • Options
    That went about as I expected.

Oh it wasn't good, but it was...sure something.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    That went about as I expected.

Oh it wasn't good, but it was...sure something.
    Shameless fishing for a reaction Leuth... Fair play!
  • Options
    Even Ian Collins on talk radio took a cheap dig at us just now   :D
  • Options
    Will we do a golfie tonight? 

We'll concede early, CL meltdown and then they score two oggies as we go 2-1 up. 

Golfie calls it a technicality as it's Oggies and it doesn't count towards the record. 
  • Options
    HT charlton, FT wigan 33/1 on betfair 
  • Options
    I can't see anything other than a home win. Wigan might be poor but if they are still a team, they will beat us. I can't see how Bowyer gets a tune out of his side if he hasn't been able to raise one for a few weeks in spite of the humiliating performances and results. A resounding defeat and another inept showing must surely signal the end and I suspect the players know it too.