Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March | 6pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Call me a nostalgic fool but I really didn't mind the Roland years as much as most people did! It was bonkers and stupid but we were staffed with a bemusing cocktail of dross and brilliance and it was, like, real, y'know
    How is the situation we're in now not real? 
  • Options
    This is real as well! But those times, man...maybe the real Roland was the friends we made along the way...
  • Options
    Impossible to predict the result but if we lose again surely things need to change. It's a real shame that this season seems to be trickling away and for whatever reason it is just a waste, no way we shouldnt have got promotion this season and no excuses are acceptable imo
  • Options
    Been a long time since I've had a Charlton result dream...

Couldn't watch the game but was checking the scores... dreamt we were 2-0 up at half time, came back to check the score at FT and we'd lost 5-2, finishing the game with 7 men.

I think that Blackpool game has scarred me...
  • Options
    6 oclock kick off.....1st goal 6 mins...final score 6  nil to us . 666 what not to like ! 
  • Options
    Their confidence will probably not be any higher than ours and we have better players. 
  • Options
    Got a great feeling about tonight

SKY broadband has been down for 24-hours in the Medway area... Its just this minute come back online for me

Its a sign from the... well Sky!! - WE'RE GONNA WIN!!
  • Options
    Got a great feeling about tonight

SKY broadband has been down for 24-hours in the Medway area... Its just this minute come back online for me

Its a sign from the... well Sky!! - WE'RE GONNA WIN!!
    It will probably go off again in a minute.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Call me a nostalgic fool but I really didn't mind the Roland years as much as most people did! It was bonkers and stupid but we were staffed with a bemusing cocktail of dross and brilliance and it was, like, real, y'know

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    It was real shit, because you knew every time we took a step forward, two steps back were just around the corner.
  • Options
    I just listened to Bowyer's longer press conference on Charlton Live. He blamed the players as usual and says that he hasn't become a bad manager in the last three months because he is "giving them the right information every day". One comment that did slightly intrigue me was his statement that he would like to be able to give the "real reason" for the present problems, but who knows what he was alluding to. Lee is always telling us how honest he is; it is surely time for him to have a truly honest look at his own performance and ask why he is so lamentably failing to get anything approaching the best out of this squad.

The press conference came across a bit like an overwrought managerial 'suicide note' but, unlike many of the soon to be out-of-contract players that he lambasts, he does have the safety net of substantial compensation. According to VoTV online, the three and a half year contract agreed with Southall in January 2020 pays £700,000 p.a. I don't suppose there was a downward adjustment in the event of relegation, for why would Southall give a toss about protecting the club's financial position, notwithstanding the drastic drop in income following relegation ?

Quite how Bowyer expects to lift the team tonight after that rant is a mystery. I don't doubt that they've heard it all before but to publicly throw his players under the bus in these terms in order to try and protect his own reputation is, in my opinion, reprehensible.

Tonight's game is an important one in terms of stopping the slide down the table, as it's difficult to see us getting anything on Saturday at Oxford.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Bugger, I've succumbed and have bought the stream, mainly so I could listen to Scott, Curbs and Nelson, but also I can't stay away from watching my team, despite me saying after Saturdays debacle that was me out of buying anymore, or indeed watching them until results AND performances improve!! I'm going for a hopeful 1-2 to the Addicks!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I've heard from my mate that Bowyer called a clear-the-air meeting with the players and sung a rendition of Sorry by Justin Bieber. When he finished it was dead silent at first but then Pratley started a slow hand clap. By the end the squad were all cheering and whooping and slapping each other's bums. 

5 - 0 Addicks
    No wonder he keeps picking Pratters!
  • Options
    I wonder if ‘The Reason’ to which LB refers is to do with contract renewals? Perhaps The players have been told by TS’s man on the ground that only a few if any will be offered new deals and they have therefore thought ‘well fuck it then’
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I wonder if ‘The Reason’ to which LB refers is to do with contract renewals? Perhaps The players have been told by TS’s man on the ground that only a few if any will be offered new deals and they have therefore thought ‘well fuck it then’
    Not really if they want to find another club ... 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Not unless they were told that in November 
  • Options
    @Sage what a brilliant preview, thanks.
  • Options
    JFC has been spotted on the pitch so is in the squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No Purrington!!!
  • Options
    JFC has been spotted on the pitch so is in the squad
    Starts
  • Options
    No Morgan again, that's him gone then
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    No Purrington!!!
    Oshilaja, Shinnie, Gunter also on the bench

Have to admit the way Bowyer didnt give names when he spoke about a player not starting tonight was the right way to go about coming out with that sort of thing - Better than what he has done previously
  • Options
    I have a feeling our centre backs tonight will be Gunter and Pearce. 
    christ I hope not
  • Options

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Famewo, Pearce (C), Maatsen; Forster-Caskey, Watson, Smith, Millar; Aneke, Washington

Substitutes: Harness, Oshilaja, Gunter, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi, Schwartz, Stockley

• Options
    disappointed to see morgans not even in the squad wth
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So which players shall we be missing?

We started this last game:

Reading between the lines of the pre & post match interviews against Blackpool, it seems Oshilaja and Shinnie have both cost us goals of late due to mistakes. Jaiyesimi has also been blamed a couple of times for goals conceded too. It was insinuated Washington was also not doing enough so I'm thinking he may be back on the bench. 

I expect Bowyer to go with this:

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Famewo | Maatsen
    Morgan | Watson | Smith | Millar
    Stockley | Schwartz
    There has got to be serious question marks over 9 of the 11 that started Saturday hasn't there?

Amos will play, as to will Stockley. 

Is Famewo ready to play 2 games back to back?  Did Millar get a knock, if not he is covered in the next point.  The 4 that were subed at half time really shouldn't start, if they were "blamed" for that 1st half showing.

Pratley is suspended anyway. Player x could be anyone but Gunter, Shinnie and Oshilaja (most peoples favourite) have all been mentioned.

I'll be shocked if Morgan starts, I'll be shocked if Watson doesn't. 
    Well I thought Stockley was a banker..... 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    No Purrington!!!
    Oshilaja, Shinnie, Gunter also on the bench

Have to admit the way Bowyer didnt give names when he spoke about a player not starting tonight was the right way to go about coming out with that sort of thing - Better than what he has done previously
    And Stockley
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling our centre backs tonight will be Gunter and Pearce. 
    christ I hope not
    Nope, Pearce and Famewo

I guess we're going back to the diamond again?