Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March | 6pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 2nd March 2021 | Kick-Off: 18.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Wigan Athletic

Referee: Sam Allison - Previously officiated Charlton in our 2-0 win away at Northampton Town

Introduction

This is probably the hardest preview I have had to write yet... Being able to pick ourselves up after the month we have had on the pitch is tough, and with so many supporters having a differing opinion on the managerial situation, it only makes it harder. A dismal (and that's being polite) display against Blackpool on Saturday at The Valley has all but completely ended any slim hope of pushing for a play-off spot. One thing we must do now is stick together, there is no point having fall-outs when we have fought so hard to get to where we are today. And what better game to give ourselves that reminder, away at Wigan Athletic.

Opposition
Manager: Caretaker Leam Richardson (26% win rate) | Stadium: DW Stadium
League Position: 23rd | Nickname(s): Latics
Form: LWLLLW
Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Wigan Athletic

Wigan travelled to table toppers Peterborough United on Saturday, losing 2-1. Their line up was:

Jones
Darikwa | Wootton | Tilt | Robinson
Ojo | Gardner
Massey | Lang | Solomon-Otabor
Dodoo

Let’s start with rewinding 12 months, 28th February 2020. Charlton were sitting in 20th in the Championship, only a single point behind Wigan and 2 points behind Hull. There were 10 games of the season left at that stage. We all know what happened in the following months leading to all three clubs getting relegated. So back to the future we go! Present day 28th February 2021. If you consider what has happened in these 12 months at both clubs, alongside the pandemic, it really puts everything into perspective. Football can change very quickly, and whilst our opponents on Tuesday night still find themselves in administration, we got lucky. Results haven’t been what we would have liked for a while now, February has been a month to forget, but things really could have been far, far worse...

Wigan find themselves in another relegation battle, another one down to the horrendous issues off the pitch, and another example of continually being let down by the authorities who are meant to govern our game. Wigan's squad includes some talented players though, Gavin Massey on the wing is someone who can cause problems in this division, they also have former Addick loanee up front with Joe Dodoo. Wigan's average age of their squad sits just above 24 years old, the eldest in the squad is 32 year old goalkeeper, Jamie Jones. On paper that looks relatively good, however they have been relying on too many teenagers to see them through this battle. A player that’s definitely worth keeping an eye on is Viv Solomon-Otabor. A powerful winger who often will play on the left cutting in on his stronger right foot. Something we haven’t dealt with well this season, allowing players too much space. The Nigerian is quick, strong, and skilful so if he is to play, we will have to limit the space he has. Something that we have not been good at for a little while. I would have mentioned Kyle Joseph in some detail, the young striker has came through the ranks at the DW, scoring 5 in 14 this season, but he seems to be out with a back injury at the moment so potentially one less thorn to hurt us. Other players worth mentioning are striker Will Keane and midfielder Zach Clough. 

Wigan’s home form is really poor, the worst in the league in fact. 2 wins in 15 games, scoring 15 and conceding a hefty 34 including losing 5-0 on three occasions, Rochdale, Hull, and our most recent opponents, Blackpool. Whereas, we know our away form actually quite good, one of the best in the league having won half of our away games. This has to be a game where our attacking prowess shows and we finally get a win.

Charlton Team News
Forster-Caskey and Gilbey both missed the game against Blackpool with hamstring injuries, but the former trained at the back end of last week and could potentially be involved come Tuesday night. We most certainly have missed his ability to get on the ball and make things happen. However, if it does come too soon, you would assume he will be set for Saturday’s tough trip away at Oxford United. Ashley Maynard-Brewer has missed out on the squad recently with another concussion and due to protocol, as he has had a few already, he will need an U23 game before he is allowed to be considered for the squad.

Darren Pratley picked up his second red card of the season meaning that he will miss the next two games. Whilst we will have to wait to see if the club win their appeal against Aneke's dismissal. Something I am not hopeful on though, so we should expect him to be out for the next 4 fixtures. If the suspension is overturned, Aneke will partner Stockley up front.

Bowyer also said at least one player in particular will not be involved and play on Tuesday due to the level of performance. There are many candidates, but how he was speaking would suggest that Deji Oshilaja is the player who will miss out, meaning you would assume that Club captain Jason Pearce will come back into the side to partner Akin Famewo, who was potentially the only positive from Saturday's defeat.

Subs: Harness, Matthews, Purrington, F-Caskey, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Washington

Prediction
With our away form and Wigan’s home form, an early start and goal could open the opportunity to actually win the game. Yes, call me absolutely crazy and I know this is Charlton and we don’t work like that... but something has to give and the players who will be on the pitch, I am sure will be fighting to put this right on Tuesday night. Things could be far worse for us, even if they are bad on the pitch right now, and Wigan is a timely reminder to many that we should be thankful we aren’t in their situation. A win on the road on a Tuesday evening and a goal for a striker who is in much need of it too.

Wigan Athletic 1-2 Charlton Athletic
Schwartz
Stockley

Comments

• Can sympathise with @Sage, really glad I didnt have to write the next preview after the last couple of results

Great write up regardless mate, agree that it might be Oshilaja that'll be dropped - I know Shinnie is another name that has been mentioned but I'd be a little surprised seeing we've just turned his deal permanent and along with Gunter was the only player interested in talking with the referee on Saturday

Would be delighted to see Forster-Caskey back so soon

Part of me wouldnt be surprised to see him straight back in if he is available based on the last two results

Amos
    Gunter | Pearce | Famewo | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Watson | Forster-Caskey
    Millar
    Stockley | Schwartz (Aneke if he wins the appeal)
  • Wigan are 3.45 on Betfair Exchange . 
    Lumping on a home win is like printing money .

Wigan 4 Charlton 1

• Can sympathise with @Sage, really glad I didnt have to write the next preview after the last couple of results

Great write up regardless mate, agree that it might be Oshilaja that'll be dropped - I know Shinnie is another name that has been mentioned but I'd be a little surprised seeing we've just turned his deal permanent and along with Gunter was the only player interested in talking with the referee on Saturday

Would be delighted to see Forster-Caskey back so soon

Part of me wouldnt be surprised to see him straight back in if he is available based on the last two results

Amos
    Gunter | Pearce | Famewo | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Watson | Forster-Caskey
    Millar
    Stockley | Schwartz (Aneke if he wins the appeal)
    If Forster-Caskey is able to start, that is the team I was going to go for.

Really difficult to write this preview but it's done now and hopefully, a result on Tuesday makes the upcoming previews easier to write!
  • Well seeing as you said we would win yesterday and we'd take 16 points in February by which time we would be 3rd in the league, forgive me for giving your latest score prediction much credence!! There you can have a couple of exclamation marks a la your preview colleague.
  • 1-0 win. Do not care how we get the win. We need the win badly.

Need to get two or three wins in before we play all the promotion chasing side in April.

• Sponsored links:

• Can't see how we win this, Blackpool made no secret of how easy we are to suss out and the players are totally devoid of any confidence (or any desire to win games). Draw at best and Dodoo to cause us all sorts of problems
  • 3-0.

Dodoo hat trick.
  • edited February 2021
    We definitely can't continue playing a 2-man midfield when we don't have the players for it. 

And we have to stop playing expansive football when we're shipping so many goals. We're not going to play ourselves into confidence when we can barely string two passes together and players are hiding. We need to tighten up, be ugly, get a clean sheet and something to build on. I don't mind the above but I would even go 4-5-1. Flood the middle where we are so weak.
  • Got himself in a bit of a pickle here.  He can't start Pratley and Aneke because they are suspended.  JFC and Gilbey are almost certainly not available through injury. 

Player x can't/won't play due to public shaming (tbf he didn't name him but it will probably be obvious once the team is announced).

If he has learnt anything from the Bogle situation he can't start DJ, Millar, Purrington or Washington.   Is Morgan persona non grata?

Can Famewo "go again"? 

Doesn't leave him with many options does it? 
  • Wigan 4-0 Charlton
    Dodoo (2), Solomon-Otabor (2)
  • The only positive is that it's away. Not sure that the players have the desire at present so sadly I see another insipid performance and a defeat. As always hope I am wrong about this.
  • Sage, I enjoy yours and FA previews, but wonder why you bother, no disrespect), but has anyone actually got one team the same as LB's. I used to guess myself but have now given up and just read the previews in case there is anything in them that I was not aware of. Do not take this as a criticism but it must be a thankless task.
  • ross1 said:
    Sage, I enjoy yours and FA previews, but wonder why you bother, no disrespect), but has anyone actually got one team the same as LB's. I used to guess myself but have now given up and just read the previews in case there is anything in them that I was not aware of. Do not take this as a criticism but it must be a thankless task.
    As said in my preview, this one was the hardest I have wrote so far.

I have barely been on here this last month for a number of reasons, busy with work mainly but also it can be a toxic place at times so best to stay away for a little bit of sanity. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    My team:

Amos

Gunter Oshilaja Famewo Purrington

Jaiyesimi Shinnie Morgan Millar

Washington Stockley

• edited February 2021
                          Amos
    Gunther  Famewo  Pearce  Purrington
                         Oshilaja
       Shinnie  Morgan   Smith    Millar
                        Stockley

I know that won't be played especially after Bowyer's comments. But it's what I'd play. Oshilaja played DM a few times last season and his lapses of concentration are less of a problem in midfield where there's time to recover. He's strong, he tries and he's not 35 (song for Oshilaja?) He can also drop back to form 5 at the back if need be.
  • None of our predicted teams are played by Bowyer.

• Charlton Team News
    Forster-Caskey and Gilbey both missed the game against Blackpool with hamstring injuries, but the former trained at the back end of last week and could potentially be involved come Tuesday night. We most certainly have missed his ability to get on the ball and make things happen. However, if it does come too soon, you would assume he will be set for Saturday’s tough trip away at Oxford United. Ashley Maynard-Brewer has missed out on the squad recently with another concussion and due to protocol, as he has had a few already, he will need an U23 game before he is allowed to be considered for the squad.

Darren Pratley picked up his second red card of the season meaning that he will miss the next two games. Whilst we will have to wait to see if the club win their appeal against Aneke's dismissal. Something I am not hopeful on though, so we should expect him to be out for the next 4 fixtures. If the suspension is overturned, Aneke will partner Stockley up front.

Bowyer also said at least one player in particular will not be involved and play on Tuesday due to the level of performance. There are many candidates,
    but how he was speaking would suggest that Deji Oshilaja is the player who will miss out
    Anyone think this might actually be Amos??
  • Keep the faith.
    Get on the 750/1 to win the league

• Charlton Team News

Bowyer also said at least one player in particular will not be involved and play on Tuesday due to the level of performance. There are many candidates,
    but how he was speaking would suggest that Deji Oshilaja is the player who will miss out
    I'd be very shocked given the fact that Maynard-Brewer needs to play an U23 game first

Cant see Harness suddenly being ready for a First Team game without having played a Cup game first

• Charlton Team News

I’m pretty certain it’s either Oshilaja or Jaiyesimi. 
  • 3.4 on Wigan from Bob's lot seems generous. I'm on it.
    Sorry to say I offset the stream cost with a bit on Blackpool @ 1.66 after they went one up, so much of a shambles did we look.
    And before I'm accused of fickleness, I am trying to win back the stake on my top 6 finish bets that are all now worthless 
  • I too think it was Oshilaja that Lee was referring to after, who has been responsible for a few gaffs lately, but hope Lee takes out most of the midfield in front of him too, who has equally offered little protection in front of the back 5.

He won’t do it, but I will stick by a 4-2-3-1 formation, keep it tight and pinch a goal in a 1-0 win.

Amos
    Gunter Famewo Pearce Purrington
    Forster-Caskey Smith
    Shinnie Morgan Millar
    Stockley

bench: Harness, Matthews, Maatsen, Schwartz, Washington, DJ, Vennings

• All I need to remember was  our last away performance at Wigan. Most people expected a Charlton win as Wigan  were in bad form. 
    They went on to humiliate us, I do not remember one shot on target for us. It was from then the descent to relegation began.
    So will go Wigan 2 Charlton 0.