Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March | 6pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I think this will be the start of something beautiful 
    🔴⚪️🔴
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Got himself in a bit of a pickle here.  He can't start Pratley and Aneke because they are suspended.  JFC and Gilbey are almost certainly not available through injury. 

Player x can't/won't play due to public shaming (tbf he didn't name him but it will probably be obvious once the team is announced).

If he has learnt anything from the Bogle situation he can't start DJ, Millar, Purrington or Washington.   Is Morgan persona non grata?

Can Famewo "go again"? 

Doesn't leave him with many options does it? 
    My money is on DJ, whose early form suggests his recent acquisition was the result of a drive-by kidnapping from Danson Park. Plus he has the defensive nous of a teaspoon.
    (I realise he has much more to offer and it must be difficult beyond measure trying to settle in to the current shambles).

• Options
    I think we'll play crap and it's just a question of whether Wigan can actually be worse. I imagine we'll be unlucky, the ref will be dire and Lee will criticise the players for not caring.

Not sure who I fancy to get sent off in the absence of Pratley and Aneke - I make Pearce the favourite.

Wigan simply can't be as bad as us so I reckon a 2-1 win for them. Lee will do another spellbinding post match interview.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I’m a fan of the Players Marks/Statbank threads, which I believe provide a pretty accurate reflection of how each player has performed.
    I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure that over the last eight or nine games Oshilaja has been (much?) more highly rated than Jason Pearce. Scapegoating Deji and replacing him with Pearce would seem unfair on the face of it. But Pearce, like Deji is at least a player who always gives 100%. Both have been over exposed due to the first choice players’ injuries.
    I very much hope Smith starts. He at least can maintain possession.  
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    There is a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team at present, largely due to the horrendous home form and Bowyer's petulant outbursts. If he's going to omit a player, then do so, but don't try to deflect personal responsibility by hanging the individual out to dry through rubbishing him to the press. Perhaps Lee should have an honest look at his own team selection, his substitution of four players at half time and the inexplicable decision to leave Pratley on when the latter was plainly a red card waiting to happen.

It's impossible to predict what sort of team Bowyer will play, although I'm guessing it will include the pedestrian Watson in midfield and Gunter at centre-back. I hope that Matt Smith gets a full game, as he at least looked like someone who wanted to pass the ball to a player in a red shirt. Arsenal must be wondering why they bothered sending him to us, especially as the lad played 24 games for Swindon in the first half of the season.

Wigan will be seeing this game as a great chance to take 3 points and spring out of the relegation zone. Their players will be right up for it - will ours ?

I can't see the negativity lifting until Bowyer goes, which is a tremendous shame, given that it is negating much of the enormous positivity brought to the club and its supporters by Thomas Sandgaard. It will, however, be important to pick up some points in March - we need another 6 to 8 - as the run-in during April and May will be tough. Whilst being drawn into a relegation fight is extremely unlikely, there is now every chance that we'll finish lower than our worst post-War position of 14th in 1973/74. 
  • Options
    Heaven only knows
  • Options
    We normally struggle against Wigan, given they are bottom of the league it's almost a guaranteed home win. 

The only positive is its a 6pm kick off so it'll all be over by 8pm 
  • Options
    its a shame chucks is suspended but the biggest chamce to save our season is the fact pratley is suspended - please don't wast it LB by playing watson instead - give morgan or smith a go and u may be pleasantly surprised - we may even start to play some football 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    None of our predicted teams are played by Bowyer.
    You’ve set yourself up to fail here because of those was told they wouldn’t be playing already surely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Wigan.  Bowyer comes out afterwards and tells us that this one was always going to be tough because we missed Darren Pratley’s professionalism and we don’t have enough players like him.  The finger of blame is pointed at Jayesimi for failing trying to beat his man instead of passing backwards to Watson who can start a triangle of passes with Pearce and Famewo 

• Options
    Reckon it is Deje that is dropped
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to it......said nobody!!
  • Options
    Wigan 2 Charlton 1
  • Options
    0 - 0 
  • Options
    Another bit of inspired management by Bowyer publicly shaming player x (will be obvious who he was talking about on Tuesday) and saying he won't play because he has effed too many things up recently. (OK he didn't actually put it quite as bluntly but we know what he meant).

That's another player who won't raise a finger to help Bowyer out in future.

Another dire performance coming up as we are outplayed by the team at the bottom of the table as the players once again do their utmost to force TS to bring Bowyer's reign to an end.

Can't see any result but a comfortable Wigan win.
  • Options
    We normally struggle against Wigan, given they are bottom of the league it's almost a guaranteed home win. 

The only positive is its a 6pm kick off so it'll all be over by 8pm 
    To be fair we are struggling against everyone at the moment
  • Options
    How we’re odds on with the bookies to win this is utterly beyond me.
  • Options
    Just seeing their names on the preview pisses me off again.
  • Options
    Dull 0-0 written all over it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Down to 14th and a relegation "battle" looks less ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    One good thing about the game schedule is the next one comes around quick. And an opportunity for the team to bounce back.

I want to see a commited performance from the whole team. See them work together and for each other. 

If we don't score the first goal I fear a repeat of Saturday.

I hope Smith and Millar start, and give Ronnie at least 75 mins alongside Stockley.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Despite all the efforts on here every week trying to name the team (has anyone got it right yet?) I think we might as well put all the names in a hat and pull them out. I sometimes wonder if that's what Bowyer does.
  • Options
    This team is as low on confidence as any Charlton team I have seen in over 55 years of supporting the club. 
    Bowyer appears to have no idea how to correct the situation. 
    3.1 Wigan and Amos  to concede another from about 40 yards. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I too think it was Oshilaja that Lee was referring to after, who has been responsible for a few gaffs lately, but hope Lee takes out most of the midfield in front of him too, who has equally offered little protection in front of the back 5.

He won’t do it, but I will stick by a 4-2-3-1 formation, keep it tight and pinch a goal in a 1-0 win.

Amos
    Gunter Famewo Pearce Purrington
    Forster-Caskey Smith
    Shinnie Morgan Millar
    Stockley

bench: Harness, Matthews, Maatsen, Schwartz, Washington, DJ, Vennings

I’ve been saying that Oshilaja isn’t good enough and makes so many catastrophic decisions since last season. I’ve been slated on here for ‘singling’ him out for criticism. Some people seem to be very blinkered whilst wearing their rose tinted spectacles about some players. 
  • Options
    I’ve been saying that Oshilaja isn’t good enough and makes so many catastrophic decisions since last season. I’ve been slated on here for ‘singling’ him out for criticism. Some people seem to be very blinkered whilst wearing their rose tinted spectacles about some players. 
    The players marks thread (statbank) does not lie. 
  • Options
    Wigan maybe the club in most turmoil in the league but their performances, albeit not filled with quality anymore, are full of spirit and endeavour, everything we’re not.

We could easily be on the end of an outfought 1-0 defeat, at this point I’ll take that if it means another nail for bowyer.
  • Options
    My glass is just about still half full - but in desperate need of a top up.
     Won't get many better chances to get back to winning ways considering Wigan's recent form and the turmoil at their club.
     Yet again, though, it's a guessing game as what team LB will put out. Let's just hope that whoever plays shows some pride in playing for the shirt.
     I'll be buying VP again as my way of showing support to TS but have a feeling it won't be pretty.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
                          Amos
    Gunther  Famewo  Pearce  Purrington
                         Oshilaja
       Shinnie  Morgan   Smith    Millar
                        Stockley

I know that won't be played especially after Bowyer's comments. But it's what I'd play. Oshilaja played DM a few times last season and his lapses of concentration are less of a problem in midfield where there's time to recover. He's strong, he tries and he's not 35 (song for Oshilaja?) He can also drop back to form 5 at the back if need be.
    Oshilaja does make mistakes for sure but always shows commitment. A good idea to move out of defence into holding midfield. After Blackpool game I think personally anyone could be dropped from next match we'll just have to wait and see what LB does!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    BFG94 said:
    My glass is just about still half full - but in desperate need of a top up.
     Won't get many better chances to get back to winning ways considering Wigan's recent form and the turmoil at their club.
     Yet again, though, it's a guessing game as what team LB will put out. Let's just hope that whoever plays shows some pride in playing for the shirt.
     I'll be buying VP again as my way of showing support to TS but have a feeling it won't be pretty.

Being forever the eternal optimist I’m the same and never in a million years would I ever want a defeat for my team...........unless it meant the Spanners or Nigels being relegated 😈

I’ll be tuning in as usual and anyone not giving their all for the shirt will be getting verbals at the screen. COYRs time to show some personal pride in your profession.