Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• This is what I wanted to put on a Thank You thread... then AFKA said he was doing a thank you thread so mine sits in draft format.

Just a simple thank you thread. 

THIS IS NOT A LOCATION FOR TRASHING BOWYER. 

Thank you Lee for everything you've done in the past three years and realising now is the best time to part ways. 

You'll be remembered for two play off campaigns and a great start to life in the Championship as well as being a whisker away from keeping us up. 

In the past 4 months I had become critical and it looked like we were rounding a positive corner in terms of results, but it seems now is the right time for you, the club and the fans.  

All the best, except when your future sides play against Charlton of course. 

Obviously I added the tweet after. I also want to add that He has left us in an almost identical position in the league to when he joined and so the cycle begins again.
  • For me I'd be happy with a caretaker manager for now & then see who's available in the summer. More choice then, especially as clubs know what league they are going to be in for the new season & will be more hiring & firing post May.

We wont be getting into the play offs this season so it shouldnt really matter atm if its JJ or Euell. 
    I tend to disagree with this, unless it’s likely that the caretaker will be appointed full time next season. Both Powell (full time) and Bowyer (initial caretaker) had a few months to assess the squad the back end of a season before to see who fits and who doesn’t for the following season. Enough time to plan. We were successful with this approach. Wouldn’t mind a caretaker for the next few weeks but would rather appoint full time before the season is out.
  • seth plum said:
    I believe the things in Euell’s favour for being caretaker until the end of the season at the very least are:

He feels he is ready for a change or a step up as his interest in Wimbledon indicated.
    He has at least enough credibility to have been given a role within the FA/English football set up.
    He has been a very good shepherd in continuing the development of good youngsters into pro players (how many prospects have been ruined by Euell and how many have blossomed further?)
    He has successfully assimilated slightly older players who have arrived like Pope, Lookman and Aribo.
    He has knowledge of the club and people around the club.
    If one for the future, he has knowledge of prospects around the leagues.
    He has personal credibility amongst pro players because he was a bloody good player himself.
    He is pretty cool and measured in his work.

Those reasons above would qualify him to be a caretaker manager until the end of the season for me.
    If there is to be a different caretaker who would be better suited?
    A decent caretaker appointment would provide space and time for careful thought from Mr Sandgaard.
    Agree 100%. Caretaker roll until end of season. Nothing to lose, by letting him give it a go.  He can walk into the role straight away, knows the players, has watched every game, an unless his view is “Everything Bowyer has done is exactly what I would have done” then hopefully can freshen up the squads attitude. 
  • I think we’ve got to move on from Curbs and Powell suggestions. Two of our best managers in recent times but Curbs hasn’t managed for 13 years and Powell has moved away from being in the hot seat. I’d imagine the new manager will be a progressive, modern coach with the same kind of thinking as Ged Roddy and TS.
  • His demeanor has been terrible for a while now. Watching post match interviews was painful, clearly something wasn't right, he had to go.
  • I had thrown Gus Poyet's name out there based on nothing, with no idea whether he'd likely accept it or even that bothered about getting another job in the lower divisions anymore, interesting he's 2nd favourite but guess it's pretty much based on nothing so far considering the other names on that list. Feels like a marquee manager who it isn't quite as ridiculous to imagine him taking the job, like the Howe/Wilder suggestions.

Guess it was a while ago now, but that Brighton team who absolutely destroyed us (Kazenga Lua-Lua?) were great to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    This has been coming for a long time but it's still a sad day. I just hope Lee rediscovers his mojo and has success elsewhere as he's a cracking manager when his heads in the right place. Thanks for all the good times (and there were plenty of them) Bow.
  • seth plum said:
    If it is true this represents the most crucial test of Thomas Sandgaards ownership so far.
    Everybody will be in his ear suggesting this that and the other. Indeed ‘accidental’ or forced appointments have sometimes been a disaster for us (Fraeye, Les Reed) but Curbs Gritt Lennie and Lee Bowyer have worked out...even Theo Foley in an odd kind of way.
    Sandgaard must think very carefully, especially in the light of his Schwartz decision (which might work under a different manager though).
    Await sparks to fly if he imports somebody in from abroad.
    I don't think he will.
  • I felt he had given up himself the last few weeks. I really wanted him to succeed but it was hard to see it turning around with him as seemingly fed up as he was and the players too.

Jacko manager til end of the season for me and hope he does the business and gets the job permanently.
  • edited March 2021
    Jackson 16/1 on skybet. Has to manage 10
    matches. We have a 11 left. I’ve had my money so free for everyone to else back.

7/1 within 1 minute.

Market will be taken down in next 5 mins
  • bromdog said:
    For me I'd be happy with a caretaker manager for now & then see who's available in the summer. More choice then, especially as clubs know what league they are going to be in for the new season & will be more hiring & firing post May.

We wont be getting into the play offs this season so it shouldnt really matter atm if its JJ or Euell. 
    I tend to disagree with this, unless it’s likely that the caretaker will be appointed full time next season. Both Powell (full time) and Bowyer (initial caretaker) had a few months to assess the squad the back end of a season before to see who fits and who doesn’t for the following season. Enough time to plan. We were successful with this approach. Wouldn’t mind a caretaker for the next few weeks but would rather appoint full time before the season is out.
    I've no problem with that either, but in reality there pool of available mangers will be bigger & better come May than now or even next month when clubs are still thinking that they can get into the play offs or avoid relegation. Pompey & Brum have ditched their managers now as they feel that they are in the last chance salon. We dont need to be making any hasty appointing. 
  • Typical Charlton fans. Hounding the manager out. Did we learn nothing from when we constantly demanded Curbishley be sacked!

In truth its a shame he has gone. He put up with so much crap in his reign. Just a shame this season has petered out and he has lost his mojo. Will always be grateful for some of the best moments on the pitch in recent times supporting the club. 
    Simply didn't happen, fans expressing opinions on social media is how it went. Back in the real world, if fans were attending games he probably would have left earlier due to fan pressure. 

Anyway, good luck with the future Lee.. the ESI shenanigans stole your mojo. 

• Oggy Red said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Just had it confirmed JJ in charge until further notice. Seems to be no rush for a replacement. Let's see how the players react tomorrow. 
    Jacko has always said he wanted to be manager at Charlton one day.
    Now he has his chance. 

Good luck, Jacko.

Obviously good luck for his time as caretaker but not the long term. I adore Jacko but the club needs a fresh approach at this moment in time going forward. If JJ goes into management elsewhere and is a success and the time is right then maybe. Who knows, he could be the one in charge when we win the Champions League in 32/33.
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet we get some useless sod as manager, that is the Charlton way.
    No reputable manager would want to come to a club with our recent history.
  • Michael Laudrup?
    preben elkjær ?
    John Jensen with Schmeichel as goalkeeping coach.
  • msomerton said:
    I bet we get some useless sod as manager, that is the Charlton way.
    No reputable manager would want to come to a club with our recent history.
    New owner, everyone knows how bad Duchatelet and the Abu Dhabi Bullshit Department were for the club. 
  • Michael Laudrup 😂
  • WSS said:

"My expectation is to have something in place for several years to come. It would have to be a plan B if it's just a caretaker until the end of the season."
    Does that suggest Plan A has been in place for a while?
  • WSS said:

"My expectation is to have something in place for several years to come. It would have to be a plan B if it's just a caretaker until the end of the season."
    I assume this has been bubbling away in the back ground for a while, I would guess at least 10 days? 
  • Interesting on Twatter someone mentioning Lampard’s name when replying to Rich Cawley’s recent Twatter post
  • JonT_Abs said:
    I'd go for Curbs but every week he has to bring in a different player from the old days as his assistant manager. 
    And he'd pick a front line of Garry Nelson and Carl Leaburn.
    There would be places for Robbo and Morts also.  :smile:

As the transfer window has slammed shut, expect a few 'ringers' for tomorrow night's game.  :wink: