Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Personally I would like somebody with no previous affiliation with the club.
    Because that’s always worked well 
  • edited March 2021
    esseffect said:
    Do not blame him at all - if could get a wiff of the stuff said about him on here he’d be walking off smiling 
    Can't agree more. He didn't deserve some of the dogs abuse he got on here
  • One thing for certain, there will be a new thread about who the new manager will be, and @Dazzler21 can sharpen his ITK thread pencil.....
  • Genuinely gutted we’re losing LB - I was looking forward to next season*.

I would be surprised if TS didn’t have a shortlist to hand - he doesn’t strike me as the sort of businessman that fails to undertake contingency planning.

As others have commented on here though - there’s no need to rush into securing a replacement,

I wish LB the best of luck and can only thank him for having stood by us through the most ridiculous of circumstances.

* and am still looking forward to it even though I don’t know who our new manager will be,

• Personally I would like somebody with no previous affiliation with the club.
    Because that’s always worked well 
    Only because we had shit senior management appointing jokers. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Announce Sir Christopher Powell , formerly of this Parish
    Good God, no.
    I think now's the time for someone 'non-Charlton' to come in.
    strongly disagree. Our most successful spells in the last 40 years have been when people who've played for the club come in and manage. 
    Pardew played more games for us than Bowyer....... 
    the exception that proves the rule! Pardew was/is an arrogant twat.
  • MrOneLung said:
    WIOTOS

It's never boring being a Charlton fan, is it.

Don't know what to think about Bowyer going.

Brought us some great times but as @UEAAddick has said he's seemed burnt out by all the crap he's taken over the last 2 seasons and results have been poor. But leaving now and the way he seems to have done it seems odd

I just hope history isn't re-written to say Bowyer was a terrible manager or he got lucky. He did very well when he took over, play-offs twice, Wembley, great start to last season, almost kept us up despite lowest budget, ESI nonsense, losing Taylor, Leko and Gallagher, all the injuries etc

But for whatever reason it's gone sour so we move on.

I wish Lee good luck but am a Charlton Athletic fan and that's what I care about. Up the Addicks

occasionally @Henry Irving talks sense

Careful, he will want his promotes back
  • If you want to replicate the success of Bournemouth then you need to hire from within (Howe) and if you want to replicate the success of Sheff Utd then you need to hire from the pool of best L2 managers (Wilder).
  • Dazzler21 said:
    My take & it's purely guesswork. 

Bowyer was told some time ago we had to make the playoffs or he would be gone at the end of the season. 

Birmingham have come in & he's jumped 
    so we've been crap for months & wouldn't do the honourable thing and resign.............but as soon as a job comes along that he has a chance of getting he jumps ship even before that Club have announced they've sacked their existing manager. 

Thanks Lee for nothing. If he gone a month or so ago we might have had a sniff of the play offs, but too late now. 
    It's not too late. We're 2 pts behind this:

Rochdale to escape again?
    Looks like Wigan might get out of this league again too... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Glen Riddersholm
  • Does Bowyer know something we don’t ? Signing Ronnie wasn’t his signing. Questions need to be asked. 
  • Carter said:
    Gutted, he has had it all against him for so long 

I said when Robinson brought him in that if he could impart a tenth of his knowledge, experience onto our squad it would do nothing but improve them. 

At least all the muppets calling for his head months ago have got what they wanted now. Should all be fine now 
    Agreed mate
  • se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Debaser said:
    Gutted ! We owe that man alot ! He stuck with us in our darkest hours and had we given him time i still think he could have turned it around
    but nowdays with huge pressure on instant success and fanbases full of toxic fans like ours that cant wait to be negative no manager is ever given time

all the best to the man and thanks for memorys that will last forever
    You realise he resigned and has not been sacked yeah? Not exactly sticking with us is he? 
    Are you having a laugh
    everything he put up with over the last few years and still brought success then the esi mess and nearly getting dragged under by the scum of elliott farnell and co

he even made sure he was paid last / late before all club employees and stood with us when he could and maybe should have said no thats it iv had enough

im sure hes had feedback or got wind from staff close to him / sandgaard or players about the online toxic talk of fans and feels a fresh start at a club hes loved and will be appreciated is very appealing right now
    I don’t think today, the day that he apparently quits to join another team, is the day to make a big thing about Bowyer’s loyalty and sticking with us through thick and thin!
    LOL you have a very short memory! im making a big thing cause it was a big thing at the time and still very important ! and had it not been for him and a few of the other lot around the club helping out you and i wouldnt even have a team to support and worry about right now

hes tried his best and done more than most would have and i appreciate it and wish him all the best and success in the future
    Oh come on, there are other people very worthy of the “if it wasn’t for him/her...” title - Bowyer isn’t one of them. Bowyer wasn’t exactly the one who booted Southall out of the Valley 12 months ago, rather he was happy to work for the cavalcade of weirdos that have “owned” our club in recent times and now we’ve got a decent owner he’s walked out on him within six months.  

Bowyer booting Southall out ....? Most people understand that a manager can't boot out his CEO shareholder director.
    The employment world doesn't work like that, does it?

Someone also posted earlier that Jackson should have spoken up and criticised Bowyer.
    Jacko is Assistant to the manager. To publicly criticise and show disloyalty to your boss is the fast route to your P45 and dismissal.

That's the real world.

Thankfully some brave people didn’t share your perspective and did boot their “boss” out. 
    Under instruction from the boss's boss with some legal paperwork to back it up.  Nothing like the same as Jackson criticising his immediate boss without authorisation from Thomas to do it.
  • edited March 2021
    For me I'd be happy with a caretaker manager for now & then see who's available in the summer. More choice then, especially as clubs know what league they are going to be in for the new season & will be more hiring & firing post May.

We wont be getting into the play offs this season so it shouldnt really matter atm if its JJ or Euell. 
  • Not sure what to think of this. Have a lot of time for Bowyer for what he's done for us in the past and sticking with us, but I can see why it's his time to go. 

Hopefully performances improve from here as the past few months have been pretty dire. 
  • Does Bowyer know something we don’t ? Signing Ronnie wasn’t his signing. Questions need to be asked. 
    It will come out hopefully
  • Glen Riddersholm

a suggestion or something you have heard?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Debaser said:
    Gutted ! We owe that man alot ! He stuck with us in our darkest hours and had we given him time i still think he could have turned it around
    but nowdays with huge pressure on instant success and fanbases full of toxic fans like ours that cant wait to be negative no manager is ever given time

all the best to the man and thanks for memorys that will last forever
    You realise he resigned and has not been sacked yeah? Not exactly sticking with us is he? 
    Are you having a laugh
    everything he put up with over the last few years and still brought success then the esi mess and nearly getting dragged under by the scum of elliott farnell and co

he even made sure he was paid last / late before all club employees and stood with us when he could and maybe should have said no thats it iv had enough

im sure hes had feedback or got wind from staff close to him / sandgaard or players about the online toxic talk of fans and feels a fresh start at a club hes loved and will be appreciated is very appealing right now
    I don’t think today, the day that he apparently quits to join another team, is the day to make a big thing about Bowyer’s loyalty and sticking with us through thick and thin!
    LOL you have a very short memory! im making a big thing cause it was a big thing at the time and still very important ! and had it not been for him and a few of the other lot around the club helping out you and i wouldnt even have a team to support and worry about right now

hes tried his best and done more than most would have and i appreciate it and wish him all the best and success in the future
    Oh come on, there are other people very worthy of the “if it wasn’t for him/her...” title - Bowyer isn’t one of them. Bowyer wasn’t exactly the one who booted Southall out of the Valley 12 months ago, rather he was happy to work for the cavalcade of weirdos that have “owned” our club in recent times and now we’ve got a decent owner he’s walked out on him within six months.  

Bowyer booting Southall out ....? Most people understand that a manager can't boot out his CEO shareholder director.
    The employment world doesn't work like that, does it?

Someone also posted earlier that Jackson should have spoken up and criticised Bowyer.
    Jacko is Assistant to the manager. To publicly criticise and show disloyalty to your boss is the fast route to your P45 and dismissal.

That's the real world.

Thankfully some brave people didn’t share your perspective and did boot their “boss” out. 
    Try it yourself at work ........ and see what happens! :smile:

• cafctom said:
    This really isn’t any criticism of JJ or Jason but apart from a caretaker role I will be devastated if either end up as our permanent appointment. Our owner says he wants a stable Premier League club flirting with European football. This is the launchpad season for TS. He has a golden opportunity to get someone in who has a proven track record. Yes it might cost and as always there are no guarantees but we really do need to go for the very best we can achieve and not think small. Either of JJ and JE would be thinking very small and show no ambition whatsoever.
    Whoever gets us promoted from League One is highly unlikely to still be the right man to get us into Europe. The gap is way too big.

If we reach TS’s long term ambitions, then it’s unlikely to be done with a single manager.
    Probably true but we still have to get the best person that will come not two people with no management experience whatsoever.
  • has he actually gone yet?

• Hope we get the right replacement.
  • Personally, I'm quite gutted. Was willing to give bowyer til about october. Think it's an odd step going to birmingham, he could've easily have left to another club in a higher division before. Why now?
  • Gutted, Bowyer gave us our club back and got us dreaming of fighting our way back. The last few months have been dire and the spark has gone, better he walked than was sacked. However replacing him with someone that can improve us is not a given.

Wonder if Chuks may be more keen to sign an extension now.
  • edited March 2021
    Can’t say I’m surprised although it’s been that manic at work now is the moment I’ve seen the news! Think this is a fresh start we all needed, the cracks have been showing the last few months. Good luck to him. Time for TS to bring his own man in. 
  • Yes but has he gone?