Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Curbs, Euell, JJ & Brown on the sidelines as a managerial four-piece.
  • In the short term if the dressing room is happy, where it was previously unhappy, you can get a positive reaction.
  • I wonder how TS will handle this? A lot may depend of how long this has been brewing and what has been said. Bow must know if he has another job secured and if so, how long it has been discussed. 
  • seth plum said:
    Wow.
    Just getting this news.
    Whatever else Bowyer leaves with my very best wishes, my thanks, and my hope he enjoys success in the future.
    I don't wish him ill, I give him thanks for Wembley, but what happens next in his career is of no interest to me, all I care about is Charlton.
  • cafcpolo said:

We could do worse. 
  • It is what it is.
  • Curbs, Euell, JJ & Brown on the sidelines as a managerial four-piece.
    like the Four Tops 
  • Sandgaard is coming over as manager on a five year deal. You heard it here first (and won’t hear it ever again). 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m hearing it’s Harald Bluetooth with Hans Christian Anderson as no2 until the end of the season. 
  • Very grateful for Lee’s undoubted hard work and an enjoyable play off winning season. Feel for him last season and until Thomas arrived. However, relieved to see that change is upon us. We needed fresh air, a new outlook, an opportunity for some expressive football. Let’s now see who Thomas pulls out of the bag?
  • Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Debaser said:
    Gutted ! We owe that man alot ! He stuck with us in our darkest hours and had we given him time i still think he could have turned it around
    but nowdays with huge pressure on instant success and fanbases full of toxic fans like ours that cant wait to be negative no manager is ever given time

all the best to the man and thanks for memorys that will last forever
    You realise he resigned and has not been sacked yeah? Not exactly sticking with us is he? 
    Are you having a laugh
    everything he put up with over the last few years and still brought success then the esi mess and nearly getting dragged under by the scum of elliott farnell and co

he even made sure he was paid last / late before all club employees and stood with us when he could and maybe should have said no thats it iv had enough

im sure hes had feedback or got wind from staff close to him / sandgaard or players about the online toxic talk of fans and feels a fresh start at a club hes loved and will be appreciated is very appealing right now
    I don’t think today, the day that he apparently quits to join another team, is the day to make a big thing about Bowyer’s loyalty and sticking with us through thick and thin!
    LOL you have a very short memory! im making a big thing cause it was a big thing at the time and still very important ! and had it not been for him and a few of the other lot around the club helping out you and i wouldnt even have a team to support and worry about right now

hes tried his best and done more than most would have and i appreciate it and wish him all the best and success in the future
    Oh come on, there are other people very worthy of the “if it wasn’t for him/her...” title - Bowyer isn’t one of them. Bowyer wasn’t exactly the one who booted Southall out of the Valley 12 months ago, rather he was happy to work for the cavalcade of weirdos that have “owned” our club in recent times and now we’ve got a decent owner he’s walked out on him within six months.  

Bowyer booting Southall out ....? Most people understand that a manager can't boot out his CEO shareholder director.
    The employment world doesn't work like that, does it?

Someone also posted earlier that Jackson should have spoken up and criticised Bowyer.
    Jacko is Assistant to the manager. To publicly criticise and show disloyalty to your boss is the fast route to your P45 and dismissal.

That's the real world.

Thankfully some brave people didn’t share your perspective and did boot their “boss” out. 
  • It may have been said already but surely we go for Chris Wilder.  I then Sheffield Utd were daft to get rid of him.
    Why would he drop 2 leagues?
    he's non-league at the moment. Why not aim high? If TS can sell him or Howe the vision they might be up for a challenge, Wilder more so than Howe imo.
    Please give it up - neither of them are coming to a team that sit outside the L1 playoffs. Selling the vision is nonsense. Do you think Charlton are the only club in the EFL with Premier League ambitions?

Take a look at the list of candidates for the Pompey job because that’s exactly the same list we’ll be looking at, along with a few others with Charlton connections.
    Spot on.

Or a few with TS/Ged Roddy connections.  But it's definitely the level we're looking at.

Was surprised to see Hermann on Pompey's list then remembered he was a former player there too (not saying I'd choose him for us!).
  • edited March 2021
    Given that we have a game tomorrow, I think JJ will probably have that game at least. You see it when a new manager is appointed, if it is close to a game, they sit in the stands and don't get involved. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    My take & it's purely guesswork. 

Bowyer was told some time ago we had to make the playoffs or he would be gone at the end of the season. 

Birmingham have come in & he's jumped 
    so we've been crap for months & wouldn't do the honourable thing and resign.............but as soon as a job comes along that he has a chance of getting he jumps ship even before that Club have announced they've sacked their existing manager. 

Thanks Lee for nothing. If he gone a month or so ago we might have had a sniff of the play offs, but too late now. 
    It's not too late. We're 2 pts behind this:

Rochdale to escape again?
  • Sponsored links:

• This really isn’t any criticism of JJ or Jason but apart from a caretaker role I will be devastated if either end up as our permanent appointment. Our owner says he wants a stable Premier League club flirting with European football. This is the launchpad season for TS. He has a golden opportunity to get someone in who has a proven track record. Yes it might cost and as always there are no guarantees but we really do need to go for the very best we can achieve and not think small. Either of JJ and JE would be thinking very small and show no ambition whatsoever.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    My take & it's purely guesswork. 

Bowyer was told some time ago we had to make the playoffs or he would be gone at the end of the season. 

Birmingham have come in & he's jumped 
    so we've been crap for months & wouldn't do the honourable thing and resign.............but as soon as a job comes along that he has a chance of getting he jumps ship even before that Club have announced they've sacked their existing manager. 

Thanks Lee for nothing. If he gone a month or so ago we might have had a sniff of the play offs, but too late now. 
    It's not too late. We're 2 pts behind this:

Rochdale to escape again?
    They looked good against Lincoln, who admittedly are starting to struggle just a bit
  • I know it’s naivety, but always surprised how quick some of these managerial appointments are made, Birmingham manager only sacked yesterday. Obviously, this is if he goes Birmingham today. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Let him finish what he started......

Confirmed Club legend Chris Powell appointed new Southend United manager
    No thanks ..... 
    Why not out of interest?

Powell was more loyal to the club than Bowyer, played more times for us than Bowyer and of course was more successful managing us than Bowyer too. 

And he hasn't been particularly good since he left.  Maybe that promotion season and the year after was just right place, right time for him and us.  He'll be forever a hero if he never comes back to sully those memories.
  • It may have been said already but surely we go for Chris Wilder.  I then Sheffield Utd were daft to get rid of him.
    Why would he drop 2 leagues?
    he's non-league at the moment. Why not aim high? If TS can sell him or Howe the vision they might be up for a challenge, Wilder more so than Howe imo.
    Please give it up - neither of them are coming to a team that sit outside the L1 playoffs. Selling the vision is nonsense. Do you think Charlton are the only club in the EFL with Premier League ambitions?

Take a look at the list of candidates for the Pompey job because that’s exactly the same list we’ll be looking at, along with a few others with Charlton connections.
    Spot on.

Or a few with TS/Ged Roddy connections.  But it's definitely the level we're looking at.

Was surprised to see Hermann on Pompey's list then remembered he was a former player there too (not saying I'd choose him for us!).
    Mark Bowen?

I’m gutted but I’d be happy with him.
  • I know it’s naivety, but always surprised how quick some of these managerial appointments are made, Birmingham manager only sacked yesterday. Obviously, this is if he goes Birmingham today. 
    I always think that most times, plans are made for replacements before the incumbent gets the chop or commits hari kari
  • edited March 2021
    This really isn’t any criticism of JJ or Jason but apart from a caretaker role I will be devastated if either end up as our permanent appointment. Our owner says he wants a stable Premier League club flirting with European football. This is the launchpad season for TS. He has a golden opportunity to get someone in who has a proven track record. Yes it might cost and as always there are no guarantees but we really do need to go for the very best we can achieve and not think small. Either of JJ and JE would be thinking very small and show no ambition whatsoever.
    Bowyer was only given the role on a caretaker basis to begin with. Of course if you do amazing, you make a case for yourself, whereas if you don't you don't. If JJ or Euell got us promoted, we would want them to be given the role permanently. Massive if of course, but who knows?
  • Birmingham have the worst home record in the division😉
    They did last season. About the only point they picked up after the re-start was against us. And that carried into this season. 
  • WIOTOS

It's never boring being a Charlton fan, is it.

Don't know what to think about Bowyer going.

Brought us some great times but as @UEAAddick has said he's seemed burnt out by all the crap he's taken over the last 2 seasons and results have been poor. But leaving now and the way he seems to have done it seems odd

I just hope history isn't re-written to say Bowyer was a terrible manager or he got lucky. He did very well when he took over, play-offs twice, Wembley, great start to last season, almost kept us up despite lowest budget, ESI nonsense, losing Taylor, Leko and Gallagher, all the injuries etc

But for whatever reason it's gone sour so we move on.

I wish Lee good luck but am a Charlton Athletic fan and that's what I care about. Up the Addicks

occasionally @Henry Irving talks sense