Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Compared to most other clubs it's hard to argue we have a toxic fanbase. I don't understand why TS would leave Bowyer in charge based on our football this season but if he decides to do so we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
    Bowyer got us promoted through the playoffs but given the squad we had at the
     time I don't think this is as big an achievement as many are arguing. We've been pretty dire this season and whatever the limitations of the squad he has to take a large part of the responsibility.
    I will be very disappointed if we start next season with him in charge given his limitations.
    Let’s not start re-writing history. Getting promoted the season before last was a fantastic achievement.
    I'm not rewriting history I just have a different view from you. We had a good squad so we should have been in the mix.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    Compared to most other clubs it's hard to argue we have a toxic fanbase. I don't understand why TS would leave Bowyer in charge based on our football this season but if he decides to do so we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
     time I don't think this is as big an achievement as many are arguing. We've been pretty dire this season and whatever the limitations of the squad he has to take a large part of the responsibility.
    I will be very disappointed if we start next season with him in charge given his limitations.
    Let’s not start re-writing history. Getting promoted the season before last was a fantastic achievement.
    I'm not rewriting history I just have a different view from you. We had a good squad so we should have been in the mix.
    We also effectively ended up with one Striker, our best run of form coming after we'd sold Grant.

Had Grant stayed all season, the form him and Taylor were in probably would have seen a few more draws turn into wins

It was effectively no different to Curbs losing Parker and having to replace him with Jerome Thomas, only on that occasion we couldnt sustain our battle for Europe - Bowyer on the other hand took us in the other direction.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    Weren't we something like 17th in the table for squad salary budget? The same as Burton Albion
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    We also effectively ended up with one Striker, our best run of form coming after we'd sold Grant.

Had Grant stayed all season, the form him and Taylor were in probably would have seen a few more draws turn into wins

It was effectively no different to Curbs losing Parker and having to replace him with Jerome Thomas, only on that occasion we couldnt sustain our battle for Europe - Bowyer on the other hand took us in the other direction.
    I think Parker was somewhat more of a loss than Karlan Grant and I can't see Bowyer ever being at the level of Curbs. Bowyer has gone backwards this season and not got the best out of the squad in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If we.got to the play offs we would have every chance of winning them.  Our defence with Innis and Famewo kept 6 clean sheets on the bounce at the start of the season, that was no co-incedence.  It is massively unlikely however that we will get there however given other teams games in hand and that is the frustration.  Points dropped v the likes of Swindon whom were dreadful in both games.

I said a few weeks ago and stand by it tht the manager VP post match interviews should go; they are fun if we are winning but when losing they just add fuel to the fire.  They don't do anyone any good.  Analysis by the likes of Curbs, Minto, Brown etc is enough and maybe if we win a man of the match award winner comes out the dressing room and gives some words.

Throwing Bows out there just gets fans over analysing his words which leads to additional over reaction and the personal crap that is spouted.
    Why can't fans just stop over analysing his words then?

If people are getting annoyed with Bowyer's comments then either turn off when he comes on or mute the TV - I've no issue listening to what he says as dont feel the need to hang on every word
  • Options
    @Leroy Ambrose might have some interesting opinions as to why the players look tired after playing Saturday/Tuesday a couple of times. Or perhaps some insights as to how they could improve their recovery. Does Charlton employ a sports scientist/nutritionist? 
    When you think of what pro cyclists go through day after day for three weeks (with two rest days) during the Tour de France etc without falling apart, it makes me think we could learn a lot from how they cope with the repeated exertions. In cycling they talk about hunger knock, which happens after a few hours riding if you forget to eat or drink enough and energy levels fall off a cliff. You’ll see riders going back to team cars for energy gels or bottles, or cadging them off team mates. Sometimes in matches it looks like our players haven’t recovered properly, or have a carb or glucose deficiency. 
    I just think something’s wrong if they can’t play Saturday/Tuesday a few times without falling apart, unless they’re carrying an injury.
    Or perhaps the sports are so different that there are no lessons to be learned?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately, we do have to share a webforum
  • Options
    Every other team in this division is doing the whole Saturday/Tuesday routine!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    @Leroy Ambrose might have some interesting opinions as to why the players look tired after playing Saturday/Tuesday a couple of times. Or perhaps some insights as to how they could improve their recovery. Does Charlton employ a sports scientist/nutritionist? 
    When you think of what pro cyclists go through day after day for three weeks (with two rest days) during the Tour de France etc without falling apart, it makes me think we could learn a lot from how they cope with the repeated exertions. In cycling they talk about hunger knock, which happens after a few hours riding if you forget to eat or drink enough and energy levels fall off a cliff. You’ll see riders going back to team cars for energy gels or bottles, or cadging them off team mates. Sometimes in matches it looks like our players haven’t recovered properly, or have a carb or glucose deficiency. 
    I just think something’s wrong if they can’t play Saturday/Tuesday a few times without falling apart, unless they’re carrying an injury.
    Or perhaps the sports are so different that there are no lessons to be learned?
     Its a valid point regarding nutritionists etc.
    I said early on in this campaign that marginal gains were going to play a big part in a wage capped league. I don't think too much has changed tbh.
     I think we were crying out for a sports psychologist months ago.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    We have too many players and not a stable 11 starters that are used to each other so much that they instinctively know where the other 10 will be, instinctively knowing where they will kick it to, instinctively backing each other up and filling gaps when somebody moves out of position. Last season we didn’t have enough of course but when you have that core team bringing one or two others in can be accommodated. We are where we are and nothing is going to change on the squad front this season but it’s clear JFC was a big loss yesterday and Washington was a massive boost. Innis is close to coming back. Between those three if they are all  playing they will be the difference in creating a core team and we will start to look a lot better. Amos will be a given so that leaves 7 places for others in the squad to try and claim as theirs. There is still plenty of time to secure a playoff place and now is the time to start doing it. 4 games without defeat is not a bad start as it happens.
    I wouldn’t say that we have too many players, rather Bowyer doesn’t seem to be able to land on his strongest starting XI which leads to chopping & changing an incredible amount. 
    If he didn’t have so much choice, subject to injuries and suspensions, he would be forced to  persevere with a team selection and fix those bits that weren’t working as they should. Sometimes it’s too easy to drop a player and try somebody else just because you’ve got the extra bodies. 
  • Options
    I don't agree with others about our fanbase (i don't do other social media so i don't know) asking for too much.
    IMO are performances warrant questions being asked. We have been poor for months now, pretty much since the start of 2020.

You could blame background issues and you would be fair to say that but that doesn't excuse the absolute tosh that we see week in week out more recently.

Yeah we don't have a god given right to beat the like of Shrewsbury but we should be beating the likes of Shrewsbury with the squad we have available. Maybe i'm giving our squad too much credit but the way we play, the tactics used, the team selection and position for me all comes down to one man, Bowyer, and all of those things have been poor. 

Some have said it's now too late to change the manager and i think Sandgard agrees with you but we shouldn't let these types of performances go with just a shrug of the shoulders and say well its just gonna be one of those seasons. Its not good enough. We, Bowyer and the team should all be expecting better. 
    Well said 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I worry about our fanbase when people start talking about Eddie Howe and Chris Wilder. 
    At least it's not Pep Jose or Jurgen, but give them time.
  • Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but have Charlton ever brought in a big name proven manager? Haven’t the most successful ones all been a bit of a punt?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Forgive my ignorance, but have Charlton ever brought in a big name proven manager? Haven’t the most successful ones all been a bit of a punt?
    Alan Mullery (?) when Brighton took Mike Bailey from us ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    As much as it pains me to say it, the only two that are remotely close to big names are Pardew and Robinson. Both were thrown in under difficult circumstances, albeit completely different.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I'd say Alan Pardew was probably the most high profile in modern times. He had managed West Ham to the FA Cup Final a year before joining us. 
  • Options
    he should have gone 2 or 3 months ago, but i don't see him going this season now. I fancy the change will be made at the end of the season when we miss the Play-Offs
  • Options
    Ross said:
    JamesSeed said:
    As much as it pains me to say it, the only two that are remotely close to big names are Pardew and Robinson. Both were thrown in under difficult circumstances, albeit completely different.
    Yes, Pardew maybe, but Robinson was League One, so wouldn’t put him in the category of ‘big name’. ‘One to watch’ maybe. 
    Mullery was a footballing big name, but was he a proven manager when he joined us?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ross said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Yes, Pardew maybe, but Robinson was League One, so wouldn’t put him in the category of ‘big name’. ‘One to watch’ maybe. 
    Mullery was a footballing big name, but was he a proven manager when he joined us?
    I say Robinson as he was a big name for this level, and probably the best we could get at the time.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    se9addick said:
    Weren't we something like 17th in the table for squad salary budget? The same as Burton Albion
    No we spent nothing on transfers but had a, by league 1 standards, massive wage bill.  Igor, Sarr, Bauer we on big money (for league 1) Taylor was on very good league 1 money.  Remember our wage bill for that season was over 10 million quid.

It's hard to find what the "small clubs" spent on wages because they don't file full accounts, the "smallest" one I could find was MK Dons and they spent 5 million on wages.

Sunderland's wage bill for the same period was a staggering 20 million plus, Barnsley's was just over 7, Portsmouth's just over 6.

Whether we got bang for our buck is a different argument all together but the fact we had a big wage bill is just that, a fact.