Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Every other team in this division is doing the whole Saturday/Tuesday routine!
    Yes, and look at the weird results. Do you think Pompey fans just shrugged their shoulders after getting absolutely tonked 4-1 by Northampton? The Pompey that is under new ownership and had a whole  close season to prepare. John Marquis and all... I don't even have to look at their forums, I know that lot of old...it will be the same hysterical nonsense on display here.

The only consistent over-performing management team in L1, based on a logical consideration of results and resources, is that at Lincoln.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Can understand why this thread would have been started after the unacceptable results in February where if he was going to go, it would have been then. 

However 8 points from 4, unbeaten and steadied the ship. 

Why the anger now? It’s a results business and that has improved this month. Strange timing to bring this up again now. 

If we don’t go up, so be it. The owner is the one who will make that decision in the summer with who will manage us going forward.

Remember us going back to basics years ago when in a bad run and it was not pretty to watch but it was effective. 

I said in match thread after seeing the first XI that the fan base would be apocalyptic if we didn't get a result. 

The problem with Bowyer teams style of play is that the performances never really matter when we continue to grind out wins, and are solid at the back.

The moment you begin to lose games, if you play turgid uninspiring football alongside that it's always going to make bad results feel twice as bad. Plenty of people would still complain if we played expansive attacking football and lost, but I'm convinced as a whole the fan base would be less feral. 

For what it's worth I think starting Pratley and Watson was an accident waiting to happen, especially when we needed someone with a little more guile in the middle of the park to unlock Shrewsbury. What Pratley may add in in defensive solidity off the ball, he lacks when we are in possession and need an out ball. It's no shock that for me Watson had his worst game in a few when he didn't have a JFC or Smith alongside him. 

However on a positive, no matter the quality of the sides we have played, we have 8 points in 4 games and seem to working better much better as a unit. If we can string a run of wins together all of a sudden everything changes as we are really not that far out of it. 

• Options
    People talk about Eddie Howe like he would give instantly give us promotion but they seem to forget that he wasn't a success at Burnley. Yes he was at Bournemouth but he was backed heavily there, I don't see why Bowyer couldn't do the same if he was backed in the summer.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    se9addick said:
    Compared to most other clubs it's hard to argue we have a toxic fanbase. I don't understand why TS would leave Bowyer in charge based on our football this season but if he decides to do so we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
    Bowyer got us promoted through the playoffs but given the squad we had at the
     time I don't think this is as big an achievement as many are arguing. We've been pretty dire this season and whatever the limitations of the squad he has to take a large part of the responsibility.
    I will be very disappointed if we start next season with him in charge given his limitations.
    Let’s not start re-writing history. Getting promoted the season before last was a fantastic achievement.
    I'm not rewriting history I just have a different view from you. We had a good squad so we should have been in the mix.
    Weren't we something like 17th in the table for squad salary budget? The same as Burton Albion
    No we spent nothing on transfers but had a, by league 1 standards, massive wage bill.  Igor, Sarr, Bauer we on big money (for league 1) Taylor was on very good league 1 money.  Remember our wage bill for that season was over 10 million quid.

It's hard to find what the "small clubs" spent on wages because they don't file full accounts, the "smallest" one I could find was MK Dons and they spent 5 million on wages.

Sunderland's wage bill for the same period was a staggering 20 million plus, Barnsley's was just over 7, Portsmouth's just over 6.

Whether we got bang for our buck is a different argument all together but the fact we had a big wage bill is just that, a fact. 
    I remember Airman saying we had the same budget as Burton but that may have been running costs. 

It was phrased as a question so I will thank you to keep your hair on.
  • Options
    Utterly pointless. If the owner never changed it after we hadn’t won for 4 games, he’s not going to change it when we are 4 games unbeaten at this stage of the season.

Do wonder about us as a fanbase at times, it’s definitely evolved. 
      I’m curious to know what you mean by evolved? We’re basically 11th on PPG, we have a real chance of finishing in our lowest ever league position. We’ve been really poor for 18 months, i’m surprised at the amount of people who seem ok with this.
    If I’m being completely honest @c@cafcsinger
    i just think as a fanbase we’ve collectively become increasing toxic. It feels like there’s now the right to demand this and that, with a backdrop of increased infighting etc. 

We are having a bit of a nothing season, no one can deny that. It happens some times, and there’s underlying factors for this one. Managers like Parkinson, Slade and Robinson in recent years had similar nothing seasons and while there were definitely a few grumbles, there was nowhere near the level of spite, bordering hate we are seeing in the last couple of months. Especially for someone whose worn a few Charlton medals over the years. We’ve had a few better performances in the last fortnight and the second it’s dipped again, the outrage and nastiness comes out instantly.

I don’t think anyone is ok with this, but I just don’t ever remember us being that demanding. If we’d had yesterday’s draw a couple of years ago we’d have walked out the stadium saying ‘well that wasn’t a classic’ and shrugged our shoulders with the thought at least we didn’t lose. 

The situation is different at the moment though. We are stuck at home watching it getting frustrated and with none of our normal Matchday experience stuff, and then having the manager on our screen minutes later when everyone is still vexed. We’ll now go on and have a repeat for a few days of the same people saying the same thing they’ve said daily (sometimes hourly) for the last few months.

I’m sure Sandgaard will change it in the summer and I’ll support that 100%. There’s enough justification there. And if he doesn’t, I’ll be surprised, but I’ll still back it 100% until it’s clear in more normal circumstances and with the right planning going into the season that the current set up isn’t good enough.

Calling for this and that NOW in shouty capitals at this stage isn’t going to achieve anything other than more fan disagreements and increasingly spite against the current manager. It just feels so unnecessary and not particularly the fanbase I think we used to be.

Just my opinion, not saying it’s the right one. It’s just the negativity, it’s tiring at times, even if there is a degree of fairness to it. There’s not one of us that doesn’t wish the team were doing better. But each year the football league is filled with about 70 teams whose fans think they should be doing better. 
    Some very fair points and I do agree with you about the none matchday experience effecting things. I do see it slightly differently, take the Fleetwood away game as an example, in non covid times we'd have what roughly 500 people there to see us play really poorly, with the majority not being able to watch a stream and thinking meh average 1-1 move on. Now we've apparently got the highest amount of streaming figures in league 1, is it just possible more are seeing how bad we really are? 

Where we disagree is i don't think this is particularly toxic nor too different to the Slade/Robinson times. I seem to remember Robinson being called fat scouse gobshite on a regular basis on this forum, which was in poor taste. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    se9addick said:
    Compared to most other clubs it's hard to argue we have a toxic fanbase. I don't understand why TS would leave Bowyer in charge based on our football this season but if he decides to do so we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
    Bowyer got us promoted through the playoffs but given the squad we had at the
     time I don't think this is as big an achievement as many are arguing. We've been pretty dire this season and whatever the limitations of the squad he has to take a large part of the responsibility.
    I will be very disappointed if we start next season with him in charge given his limitations.
    Let’s not start re-writing history. Getting promoted the season before last was a fantastic achievement.
    I'm not rewriting history I just have a different view from you. We had a good squad so we should have been in the mix.
    Weren't we something like 17th in the table for squad salary budget? The same as Burton Albion
    No we spent nothing on transfers but had a, by league 1 standards, massive wage bill.  Igor, Sarr, Bauer we on big money (for league 1) Taylor was on very good league 1 money.  Remember our wage bill for that season was over 10 million quid.

It's hard to find what the "small clubs" spent on wages because they don't file full accounts, the "smallest" one I could find was MK Dons and they spent 5 million on wages.

Sunderland's wage bill for the same period was a staggering 20 million plus, Barnsley's was just over 7, Portsmouth's just over 6.

Whether we got bang for our buck is a different argument all together but the fact we had a big wage bill is just that, a fact. 
    I remember Airman saying we had the same budget as Burton but that may have been running costs. 

It was phrased as a question so I will thank you to keep your hair on.
    That's why I provided an answer to your question.  Not sure what bit of that answer suggested I had not got it on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Forgive my ignorance, but have Charlton ever brought in a big name proven manager? Haven’t the most successful ones all been a bit of a punt?
    yes, but that doesn’t mean to say a big name manager wouldn’t work. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    boggzy said:
    I personally don't feel like the fan base as a whole are acting any differently to when were weren't performing under Robinson or Slade etc. 
    I disagree.

If Robinson or Slade had been serving up this abject crap for over a year, picking these bizarre teams and subs from this squad, giving demoralising interviews full of bs while throwing players under the bus, and almost every player going backwards in terms of performance - and after all this time looking like an unconfident group of individuals, then the fanbase would be acting very differently.

That said, Bowyer is lucky that the stands are empty.

I don't know how many, but we have a substantial section of fans who are a very 'unique' bunch: A total lack of ambition, an obsession with comparing and dwelling on the past, and the willingness to accept utter mediocrity when there is now really no excuse for it.
    Okay. Let's use Robinson as an example as he was the last manager. 

What was different in the fan bases reaction towards him compared to what is happening now with Bowyer?

Im sure if you dug up an old thread and replaced Robinson with Bowyer all the noise will sound much the same. 

There will be just the same calls for his sacking, vile personal abuse, over analysis of tactics and press conferences as well as people on the other side of the fence arguing that he needs time, has had to work under difficult circumstances etc etc. 

Furthermore go on any other teams football forum where the fans think the team are under performaning and you will read the same stuff.

That's just what football and social media are like when they combine together. 
  • Options
    Utterly pointless. If the owner never changed it after we hadn’t won for 4 games, he’s not going to change it when we are 4 games unbeaten at this stage of the season.

I’m curious to know what you mean by evolved? We’re basically 11th on PPG, we have a real chance of finishing in our lowest ever league position. We’ve been really poor for 18 months, i’m surprised at the amount of people who seem ok with this.
    If I’m being completely honest @c@cafcsinger
    i just think as a fanbase we’ve collectively become increasing toxic. It feels like there’s now the right to demand this and that, with a backdrop of increased infighting etc. 

We are having a bit of a nothing season, no one can deny that. It happens some times, and there’s underlying factors for this one. Managers like Parkinson, Slade and Robinson in recent years had similar nothing seasons and while there were definitely a few grumbles, there was nowhere near the level of spite, bordering hate we are seeing in the last couple of months. Especially for someone whose worn a few Charlton medals over the years. We’ve had a few better performances in the last fortnight and the second it’s dipped again, the outrage and nastiness comes out instantly.

I don’t think anyone is ok with this, but I just don’t ever remember us being that demanding. If we’d had yesterday’s draw a couple of years ago we’d have walked out the stadium saying ‘well that wasn’t a classic’ and shrugged our shoulders with the thought at least we didn’t lose. 

The situation is different at the moment though. We are stuck at home watching it getting frustrated and with none of our normal Matchday experience stuff, and then having the manager on our screen minutes later when everyone is still vexed. We’ll now go on and have a repeat for a few days of the same people saying the same thing they’ve said daily (sometimes hourly) for the last few months.

I’m sure Sandgaard will change it in the summer and I’ll support that 100%. There’s enough justification there. And if he doesn’t, I’ll be surprised, but I’ll still back it 100% until it’s clear in more normal circumstances and with the right planning going into the season that the current set up isn’t good enough.

Calling for this and that NOW in shouty capitals at this stage isn’t going to achieve anything other than more fan disagreements and increasingly spite against the current manager. It just feels so unnecessary and not particularly the fanbase I think we used to be.

Just my opinion, not saying it’s the right one. It’s just the negativity, it’s tiring at times, even if there is a degree of fairness to it. There’s not one of us that doesn’t wish the team were doing better. But each year the football league is filled with about 70 teams whose fans think they should be doing better. 
    Some very fair points and I do agree with you about the none matchday experience effecting things. I do see it slightly differently, take the Fleetwood away game as an example, in non covid times we'd have what roughly 500 people there to see us play really poorly, with the majority not being able to watch a stream and thinking meh average 1-1 move on. Now we've apparently got the highest amount of streaming figures in league 1, is it just possible more are seeing how bad we really are? 

Where we disagree is i don't think this is particularly toxic nor too different to the Slade/Robinson times. I seem to remember Robinson being called fat scouse gobshite on a regular basis on this forum, which was in poor taste. 
    He was definitely, but I don’t remember a particularly strong ‘sack him’ campaign going with it. The couple of times it was raised it was met with much greater support that the underlying factors (Roland) we’re leaving us hamstrung. As Grumpy so eloquently put “Robinson is very mediocre, irritating and overweight but he is not the core problem.” :-) 
  • Options
    https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/75720/karl-robinson-ed-page-79-gone-mutual-consent/p79

I'm just reading some comments on this thread and I can't see the fan base being any less divided then it is now.
  • Options
    Should undoubtedly have been sacked about a month ago. It's possible a new manager may have got a new-manager bounce and helped get us out of this League. Don't understand why TS didn't act.

But I'm sure he won't be sacked now. Presumably TS has told Bowyer his job is safe until the end of the season. And as Bowyer has been a bit more relaxed recently I reckon he knows that.

As for those saying, it's a results business, we are unbeaten in four, Bowyer's turned it around etc I honestly just scratch my head in disbelief. The football we have played - or rather haven't played - in this unbeaten run has been appalling. Yesterday's second half was abysmal.

Given we were at home to a team near the bottom of the table, not in great form and with their manager ill and not able to be present I'm still bemused by the fact Bowyer thought  it necessary to start with Pratley and Watson in midfield. It's baffling. And his post match comments about Jaiyesimi were crass. 

A new start under a new manager can't come soon enough for me.
  • Options
    Jackett sacked at Portsmouth.  Bowyer 2nd favourite to take over 🙏🙏🙏🙏
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Agree. Its "evolved" into an ever increasing bunch of whining, self-entitled, over-opiniated morons who think they are experts on just about everything, including man management, formations and tactics. All having never watched a training session in their lives, much less got any relevant qualifications.

I'm just fucking glad I dont have to sit in a stadium with them any more.
    Do you get any enjoyment out of this forum? Genuine question because all you seem to do is whine and carry a self inflated opinion of yourself. Ironic eh
    Thanks for pointing that out. I get no enjoyment whatsoever as a matter of fact, so probably best I leave it there.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    I’ll pay the taxi fare
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I am of the opinion that changing Bowyer now would make the Play Offs an outside chance in the extreme so am far less bothered than I was. People have shared what they know and others have put their fingers in their ears or insulted them. Ultimately, It isn't about knowing more about tactics, but knowing how not to treat players from the players themselves.

There is little point anybody sharing what they know when other people don't want to listen. And when new things do come out the thread gets closed. Some of our fans can feel superior and look down on clubs that make a change when things go pear shaped. The real problem is, we are not literally looking down on those badly run clubs as they are all above us. 
  • Options

So, everybody else still sees him as a good manager except for a few people on here ?
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    I personally don't feel like the fan base as a whole are acting any differently to when were weren't performing under Robinson or Slade etc. 
    I disagree.

If Robinson or Slade had been serving up this abject crap for over a year, picking these bizarre teams and subs from this squad, giving demoralising interviews full of bs while throwing players under the bus, and almost every player going backwards in terms of performance - and after all this time looking like an unconfident group of individuals, then the fanbase would be acting very differently.

I don't know how many, but we have a substantial section of fans who are a very 'unique' bunch: A total lack of ambition, an obsession with comparing and dwelling on the past, and the willingness to accept utter mediocrity when there is now really no excuse for it.

What was different in the fan bases reaction towards him compared to what is happening now with Bowyer?

Im sure if you dug up an old thread and replaced Robinson with Bowyer all the noise will sound much the same. 

There will be just the same calls for his sacking, vile personal abuse, over analysis of tactics and press conferences as well as people on the other side of the fence arguing that he needs time, has had to work under difficult circumstances etc etc. 

Furthermore go on any other teams football forum where the fans think the team are under performaning and you will read the same stuff.

What is different is that a lot of our fanbase (on here at least) are being unbelievably lenient with Bowyer.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Forgive my ignorance, but have Charlton ever brought in a big name proven manager? Haven’t the most successful ones all been a bit of a punt?
    yes, but that doesn’t mean to say a big name manager wouldn’t work. 
    True.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    boggzy said:
    boggzy said:
    I disagree.

What is different is that a lot of our fanbase (on here at least) are being unbelievably lenient with Bowyer.
    It's no different though. Look at the 'Robinson Gone' thread I linked to. You have fans referring to his weight and calling him a gob shite who are happy to see the back of him, and the next post others arguing he was dealt a tough hand and unfairly treated. 

Exactly similar to what is happening now. 

I've been very open with my opinion on Bowyer and his style of football. But I wouldn't say that a lot of our fans are being unbelievably lenient on him because they have a different opinion to me. Because at the end of the day that's what it is, an opinion. 

And back to my original point these opinions are no different a phenomenon to what has happened under recent previous managers. It's not toxic, it's not lenient, it's just all very normal on social media - perhaps slightly amplified because of lockdown. 

• Options
    He won't resign and give up that payoff, so he may as well be favourite with the bookies, he ain't going anywhere if Thomas don't show him the door.