Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Options
    dickad1 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I was a big Bowyer fan but I feel like he has done a runner, left us in the morning and reportedly training with
    Birmingham in the afternoon, to me that is a stab in the back 
    We've had tons of people calling for him to go, and many would certainly not have complained if he'd been sacked at any point in the past few weeks. Now he's being accused of stabbing us in the back, come on really?
    Let people grieve how they want to. 

Many of us wanted Bowyer to turn it around. Just when it started to look like the ship was turning, off he pops to Birmingham.

Wish him all the best, but I wish Charlton even better. 
    still not confirmed ...
    It's pretty obvious as he's taken training already!
    Their official site/twitter haven't said a word yet which is odd.
    There's a statement on their Twitter now re Karanka. Was getting fed up with the happy Mother's day thing..

https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2021/club-statement-aitor-karanka/
    Their website seems to have collapsed!
    Like their season!
  • Options
    Hired for his man management skills according to that article...
  • Options

Looks delighted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I was a big Bowyer fan but I feel like he has done a runner, left us in the morning and reportedly training with
    Honestly that’s football, there is no real loyalty from the people who work within the “industry” towards the clubs (save a few specific examples). Fairly few managers see their contracts through to the end and then leave. Most are sacked if they are doing badly or jump when they get a better opportunity. 
    I totally agree with you it just leaves a sour note when he arranged all this behind closed doors but at the same
    time talked up CAFC
  • Options
    We've had tons of people calling for him to go, and many would certainly not have complained if he'd been sacked at any point in the past few weeks. Now he's being accused of stabbing us in the back, come on really?
    I don’t think he has “stabbed us in the back” however neither is, he in any way, a victim, or hard done by, and he hasn’t left because of posters on CL. 

LB started acting & performing differently months ago, gave up weeks ago and has clearly had this deal in the offing for a while. There is something we don’t know about yet and I suspect it dates back to the autumn.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Jonny Williams tears are testament to his “man management skills”!
  • Options
    Having had some time to think things over, although sad after such good times with Bowyer I think it is best for all parties. 

I think TS is happy, as others have said has not had to make the decision so comes out looking a good patient owner who will give managers a chance and has saved money on paying up LB contract. 

Lee Bowyer comes out well in that he does not have a sacking to his name and his reputation in place with most outside of Charlton will not really of noticed his recent outburst. 

Looking back now I do wonder if this has been bubbling away for some time. Bowyer had changed over the last few weeks looking happier and more relaxed. I noticed in interviews a few weeks back he stated to want to put out things to show that he has done a great job in hard circumstances, makes players better etc. It seemed like a advert for him and self preservation ( Nothing wrong with that). 

I do wonder if TS and LB both knew they had different ideas gong forward which makes this a natural conclusion to them both. In an article RC has put up today TS mentions a new manager playing and developing players from the youth academy, we know of late Bowyer has seemed to want and trust older pros. Also TS mentions wanting a creative midfielder to help us play a certain way, even goes on to say we had this earlier in the year. this is again something LB seems to have gone away from .

So here we are with a chance for a new manager to come in who is fully aware of the direction TS wants and assume would be on board. I am very excited about the next step and the summer recruitment within that. 

As said above I think it is the best for all parties and has been done in a nice way and we have not seen this drag on and on becoming even more toxic. 

Thanks Lee I wish you all the best. I thank you the for 2018/19 season and that amazing feel good feeling and in your words journey. 

Where was that article ? Do you have a link please ?
  • Options
    Moved from the Goodbye Thread:
    ct_addick said:
    Am I correct that he has also saved the club money in resigning as we won't have to pay him off ? 
  • Options

ct_addick said:
    Am I correct that he has also saved the club money in resigning as we won't have to pay him off ?
    LB would’ve only been entitled to a payoff if he was sacked, surely?
    He resigned because he’d already got an agreement with Birmingham in place, so he’d effectively already left and staying would’ve meant he’d have to take our game tonight. That just wouldn’t have been practical for him, for us or for Birmingham.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Honestly that’s football, there is no real loyalty from the people who work within the “industry” towards the clubs (save a few specific examples). Fairly few managers see their contracts through to the end and then leave. Most are sacked if they are doing badly or jump when they get a better opportunity. 
    I totally agree with you it just leaves a sour note when he arranged all this behind closed doors but at the same
    time talked up CAFC
    How dare you, he has been a loyal servant - it's disgusting how our fanbase don't show the same loyalt........   oh...
  • Options

ct_addick said:
    He resigned because he’d already got an agreement with Birmingham in place, so he’d effectively already left and staying would’ve meant he’d have to take our game tonight. That just wouldn’t have been practical for him, for us or for Birmingham.
    If TS was thinking of a change of course then it's saved us some money. It's a win win for me as the football was dire lately but did think he did a good job keeping the club together. I hope he does well but he has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire IMO but he might get the new manager bounce. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

ct_addick said:
    If TS was thinking of a change of course then it's saved us some money. It's a win win for me as the football was dire lately but did think he did a good job keeping the club together. I hope he does well but he has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire IMO but he might get the new manager bounce. 
    Also I was a bit behind on the other forum as I did not hear the Brum announcement and sometimes they say resignation but find out the person was fired. As people have said all good plus 3 points with a comeback win.  Can't paper over the defensive frailties though but I hope JJ gets to stay on as an assistant at least.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn’t seem like the players are sad to see him leave, not a single goodbye or thank you. 
  • Options
    Doesn’t seem like the players are sad to see him leave, not a single goodbye or thank you. 
    Says everything you to need know. 

I can’t think of a time where the manager has got ZERO messages of support from his team after leaving. 

• Options
    Moved from the Goodbye thread
    so he has signed for Brum
  • Options
    Proper Birmingham apparently. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    First interview as BCFC manager. Mentions us and gives weight to the idea he’d just been worn out by the last 18months.
    https://youtu.be/nLUffitPPT0
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    First interview as BCFC manager. Mentions us and gives weight to the idea he’d just been worn out by the last 18months.
    https://youtu.be/nLUffitPPT0
    Far more impressive and far more energy than in any of his Charlton interviews in the last few months, it feels like a completely different person
  • Options
    Personally I think Bowyer has made a huge mistake going to Brum - they are in a right mess and if he gets the sack there then his management career is in grave danger of being over.

Surely he can’t see Brum as a long term growth prospect given the turmoil they are in?
  • Options
    Personally I think Bowyer has made a huge mistake going to Brum - they are in a right mess and if he gets the sack there then his management career is in grave danger of being over.

Surely he can’t see Brum as a long term growth prospect given the turmoil they are in?
    Any manager (same as any player) will always back themselves to do well. He won't go there thinking, 'oh what if we get relegated'. He'll be thinking he'll keep them up and kick on next season.

He's got a very tough start though, starting tonight his first 4 games are against sides in the top 5. Their trip to Rotherham in April is likely to have a huge say on who goes down.
  • Options

He's probably looking at it as a fresh start with some new players (especially if he really is just worn down by 18 months of boardroom shite at Charlton.) If he keeps them up, great, his reputation gets a boost and probably his bank balance too.

If not... Well he's pretty much back where he started at Charlton but not actually lost anything.