Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's got to go (ed. p23 CAFCOfficial twitter confirm he's gone)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Transfermarkt is not great with actual player values but is fairly good at relative values. They rank us as #6 in L1 in player values. And our net player values are a far, far, far cry from Ipswich, who appear to be "going for it." And millions behind other top 4 clubs. Also we have one of the smallest teams in the division, which can hardly be blamed on Lee. It seems by this data that we are only mildly under-performing our payroll. Club value points to 6th and we are 8th. Maybe the real problem is this is a crap league with crap players and crap money. Not sure there is some savior manager that we could get who can change that dynamic.

MK Dons must want their managers head! Massively underperforming.

Wait we were just linked with wanting Russel Martin.

How does this work? 

*no intention of taking the piss out of original poster 
  • Options
    I would love to know whether Thomas Sandgard reads Charlton Life.

I have no idea, but If he does then he will know that there is an awful lot of fans wanting Bowyer replaced.

As a successful businessman I am sure that he has his finger on the pulse, and will be acutely aware of the groundswell of anger and frustration from the fans.

• Options

I have no idea, but If he does then he will know that there is an awful lot of fans wanting Bowyer replaced.

As a successful businessman I am sure that he has his finger on the pulse, and will be acutely aware of the groundswell of anger and frustration from the fans.

I think it would be odds on mate. Maybe not himself ( although it wouldnt surprise me if he did ) but odds on he has someone reading it and reporting back. Fans are his customers at the end of the day and any sensible business wants to know what its customers think
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    You don't become successful by following what Dave Smith on a forum says is a good idea. 

As carmaker Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
    True but if he didnt also listen you would still only be able to buy a Ford in black 😁
  • Options
    AndyG said:

I think it would be odds on mate. Maybe not himself ( although it wouldnt surprise me if he did ) but odds on he has someone reading it and reporting back. Fans are his customers at the end of the day and any sensible business wants to know what its customers think
    I hope that you are right, because surely if Thomas really knows the depth of feeling towards Bowyer, then Bowyer is a dead man walking.

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Chunes said:
    You don't become successful by following what Dave Smith on a forum says is a good idea. 

As carmaker Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
    True but if he didnt also listen you would still only be able to buy a Ford in black 😁
    Racist 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    AndyG said:

I hope that you are right, because surely if Thomas really knows the depth of feeling towards Bowyer, then Bowyer is a dead man walking.

Is there really a massive depth of feeling. There is a lot of noise but not huge numbers 
    Based on what I read on Charlton Life the Bowyer out brigade must be approaching 60/65 % of the posters on here.

If I am correct, and that is a reflection of our fans feelings, that is a huge number.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    AndyG said:

Is there really a massive depth of feeling. There is a lot of noise but not huge numbers 
    Based on what I read on Charlton Life the Bowyer out brigade must be approaching 60/65 % of the posters on here.

If I am correct, and that is a reflection of our fans feelings, that is a huge number.
    How many fans are on CharltonLife though?

2,000 - 5,000? - If thats the case thats no where near normal attendance levels, of course there will be those on twitter and not even on social media who no doubt have the same feelings so impossible to actually judge. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Utterly pointless. If the owner never changed it after we hadn’t won for 4 games, he’s not going to change it when we are 4 games unbeaten at this stage of the season.

Do wonder about us as a fanbase at times, it’s definitely evolved. 
    Agree. Its "evolved" into an ever increasing bunch of whining, self-entitled, over-opiniated morons who think they are experts on just about everything, including man management, formations and tactics. All having never watched a training session in their lives, much less got any relevant qualifications.

I'm just fucking glad I dont have to sit in a stadium with them any more.
    Football fans never discussed tactics, formations, or managers before 2020, you're right. Imagine being annoyed over football fans, discussing football, on a football forum. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    AndyG said:

How many fans are on CharltonLife though?

2,000 - 5,000? - If thats the case thats no where near normal attendance levels, of course there will be those on twitter and not even on social media who no doubt have the same feelings so impossible to actually judge. 
    I worked it out, for some other reason a couple of years ago.  I think the conclusion I came to was there was actually only 50 odd people that had expressed an opinion on the issue.  Despite the fact it was a multi page thread.

The view was about 90% in favour of what ever it was (I can't remember what the actual subject was) and I got pelters for pointing out even on the biggest forum it was still only about 0.1% of fans.

If anyone uses Charlton Life, Facebook, Twitter or Trust Surveys on the basis they are a gospel reflection of "all fans" opinions and base any significant business decisions on it, as the only source, their business won't do well for very long.

If anyone post on here, or else where, for any other reason than to express an opinion they need to give their head a wobble. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Let Bowyer have till Christmas.
    What's half a season amongst friends.
    What's gutting for me if he does go is his managerial career at us would of always been under a cloud.
    Give him a fresh season.
    The success of Charlton should be absolutely paramount. You can't just gift a manager half a season on sentiment.

If we finish top 6 and lose in the play off final, then I'd keep him on. Anything short of top 6 and he's simply got to go. 

And replaced by.... whom? There are two parts to such a decision. Many seem to be saying "he has to go" with no plan of even knowledge of who would or could come here. This is not the EPL. Or even The Championship. If there were good managers in L1.... they would not be in L1. The pay down here sucks.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bowyer's got to go when Sandgaard decides.
    TS is reluctant to sack him. When fans are back in and if we continue to underperform, the message will be heard loud and clear by TS and he will act IMO. Fans support is everything to him.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    AndyG said:

Based on what I read on Charlton Life the Bowyer out brigade must be approaching 60/65 posters who say the same thing every day, ten times a day for 3 months.

The vast majority are 50/50 on the issue and would like Bowyer to succeed if he can :-)

• Options
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Let Bowyer have till Christmas.
    What's half a season amongst friends.
    What's gutting for me if he does go is his managerial career at us would of always been under a cloud.
    Give him a fresh season.
    The success of Charlton should be absolutely paramount. You can't just gift a manager half a season on sentiment.

If we finish top 6 and lose in the play off final, then I'd keep him on. Anything short of top 6 and he's simply got to go. 

And replaced by.... whom? There are two parts to such a decision. Many seem to be saying "he has to go" with no plan of even knowledge of who would or could come here. This is not the EPL. Or even The Championship. If there were good managers in L1.... they would not be in L1. The pay down here sucks.
    How does someone become a good manager if they never get the chance? David Moyes, Chris Wilder, Eddie Howe, Dean Smith. All managers who have managed in League 1, the last three in the last decade. Clearly if you had your way you would just have twenty managers chopping and changing Premier League sides. 
  • Options
    There's no point him going right now if whoever comes in at that point isn't a clear and immediate improvement straight away.

My own feelings are that TS already has a plan of some sort, what Bowyer's part in that (or Jackson's, or Gallen's) is remains to be seen. But his (seemingly uncharacteristic) lack of public commentary suggests to me that forums and fan discussion are not going to be decisive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    There's no point him going right now if whoever comes in at that point isn't a clear and immediate improvement straight away.

My own feelings are that TS already has a plan of some sort, what Bowyer's part in that (or Jackson's, or Gallen's) is remains to be seen. But his (seemingly uncharacteristic) lack of public commentary suggests to me that forums and fan discussion are not going to be decisive. 
    How can you know that though? 
  • Options
    Surely the quality of Bowyer’s signings were heavily influenced by the salary cap. Hence the quality of players we have. Let’s give him a chance with a normal window. I’m sure Thomas is looking at it the same way. I really don’t think it would be a good idea to get rid of Bowyer now. 
  • Options
    You would hope TS is a good enough business man to have people around him that would shortlist, interview and decide on any future manager in a thorough and insightful manner. We as fans can discuss or speculate because that’s what fans do, it’s what makes football so attractive, because we’ve been watching it long enough to convince ourselves that we know what we are talking about! 

I’m of the opinion that GR has been doing this for a while and it’s what’s upset LB. Could be way off the mark but we’ve seen this sort of rift at football clubs before.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Surely the quality of Bowyer’s signings were heavily influenced by the salary cap. Hence the quality of players we have. Let’s give him a chance with a normal window. I’m sure Thomas is looking at it the same way. I really don’t think it would be a good idea to get rid of Bowyer now. 
    I agree that the salary cap made it more difficult. However, Bowyer still signed players he’d targeted for some time such as Gunter and Watson. We might have more money then in a long time but it’s not a bottomless pit. Any manager will still be working within a budget and you have to have the confidence he’s got it in him to build the promotion winning squad. I respect your opinion if you feel differently, I just don’t feel he has anymore. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Transfermarkt is not great with actual player values but is fairly good at relative values. They rank us as #6 in L1 in player values. And our net player values are a far, far, far cry from Ipswich, who appear to be "going for it." And millions behind other top 4 clubs. Also we have one of the smallest teams in the division, which can hardly be blamed on Lee. It seems by this data that we are only mildly under-performing our payroll. Club value points to 6th and we are 8th. Maybe the real problem is this is a crap league with crap players and crap money. Not sure there is some savior manager that we could get who can change that dynamic.

Perhaps we signed too many players after the cap because  of the embargo a d spent big on some wages ,hence smaller squad, due the the embargo and a cap we were the only ones truly trapped in big time .
    Our squad size of 24 is 100% but that was limited to 25 by the cap.  I am not sure how anyone else has got a significantly higher one. 
    Someone says we have a significantly smaller squad though. 
    When the transfer window shut you were allowed 25 players in your squad.  You could have unlimited U23s on your pay roll, but you couldn't include them in your squad.

Hence Lapslie wasn't in our squad so didn't count towards the wage cap, but Oztumer did. (source Bowyer) 

We had 25, right up to the limit, both in terms of numbers and wages, until Maddison left freeing up a space and wages at the last minute.  Hence we could have signed a free agent. (source Gallen).

I added it up for the injury thread a few weeks ago, I think we have used 33 players.  The current 24, Maddison, Williams, Levitt, Smyth, Bonne, Bogle, Doughty plus Barker and Henry (who don't count towards anything as they are u18s).

I am not sure how Hull can possibly have a 30 plus man squad, unless they have picked 5 or 6 of their u23s since the cap was abolished? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Perhaps we signed too many players after the cap because  of the embargo a d spent big on some wages ,hence smaller squad, due the the embargo and a cap we were the only ones truly trapped in big time .
    Our squad size of 24 is 100% but that was limited to 25 by the cap.  I am not sure how anyone else has got a significantly higher one. 
    Someone says we have a significantly smaller squad though. 

We've used 33 in the League and 46 in all competitions. Of the 33 that appeared in the League, 24 are still at the club and that doesn't include either of our two reserve keepers who have yet to play:

LB 1st XI
    Amos
    Gunter
    Famewo
    Inniss
    Maatsen
    Watson
    Pratley
    Shinnie
    Millar
    Aneke
    Stockley

LB 2nd XI
    Maynard-Brewer
    Matthews
    Pearce
    Oshilaja
    Purrington
    Forster-Caskey
    Smith
    Gilbey
    Morgan
    Washington
    Schwartz

Not used:
    Jaiyesimi
    Harness
    Barker
    Vennings

So we comfortably have two players for every position and I doubt that many of our rivals are that fortunate 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A question to the guys wanting Bowyer out.
    When the next manager comes in, if he was producing poor performances and results after fifteen games would you want him sacked?
    No, bowyer has had 3 years
    Yes but just 4 months of that with a decent owner.
    At the same time he probably had 15 of the highest played 20 players in the squads for the last 4 games.  I know your a fan of soccernomics and the associated stats.

Until we loaned out Maddison we were right on the wage cap.  If we only signed players no one else wanted how comes we had to pay them so much? 

We haven't had to resort to playing a load of kids.

We signed 2 players for a fee in January, hardly anyone else in league 1 did.

Has it been ideal circumstances?  Of course it hasn't.  But most league 1 managers would have bitten your hand off to have Amos, Pearce, Oshilaja, Purrington, Morgan, JFC, Gilbey, Pratley, Chuks, Washington, Doughty, Williams, Bonne and Phillips as the core of a squad.  That's what we had when the take over was done. 

This is a good argument against his results. I wonder about the payroll advantage we really have given 90% of our players exist under a salary cap that equalized payroll. I've been trying to find comparitive payroll numbers in L1 for 2020-21 and so far am unable.
    You can't even get conclusive numbers for last season yet, although they will be dropping any time now.

Our wage bill was 10 million, 2 years ago, and Gallen said if was about 3 or 4 million less now.  That would put us currently in the same ball park as Luton and Barnsley the year we got promoted.

Now you could make an argument that the players aren't worth what we pay them but I don't think there is a player at the club that either wasn't signed, or had a new contract, under Bowyer/Gallen. 
    Apples and pears comparison. The £10m figure includes all staff including the academy and non-football staff (maybe 100 people). Gallen will only count the first team squad.
  • Options
    What unsettled me was being at the Valley to witness both Donny Rovers and MKD completely outclassing us. 
    Whether or not that was Bowyer’s fault or the result of lack of investment from RD and ESI I don’t really know. 
    Whether he stays or not I think things will improve next year.