Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-tOCntZHAM

Very interesting, speaks very well. I'd be a big fan of this type of appointment.

Tweet suggests to me that he hasn't applied though.
    Would be perfect. 

Beale communicating the type of players he wants for his system, Gallen going off and getting them. 
    Interesting you mention Gallen. I think he will go with Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jackson is a legend but if he gets it then it’s zero ambition.
    Why the lol
    Because it’s silly and reactionary. You’re already setting yourself for disappointment.

If Jackson gets the gig full time, it’ll be on merit. Every realistic & experienced option at this level is going to have drawbacks.

The options that don’t have drawbacks aren’t realistic.
    Is that the same way Parkinson got it on merit?

Or do you mean judged on results like Parky?

Is there a manger anywhere that has managed any length of time that hasn't bad a bad patch or been sacked?  Pepe?

Even SAF got the sack.  Although he was just AF at the time. 

I’m not sure we’re disagreeing here.

SHG says if we give it to Jackson, it’ll be showing zero ambition.

I’m saying it wouldn’t be an automatic appointment and if Jackson gets it long term, it’s because of results he gets on the pitch as caretaker.

If TS was in charge during those years, I doubt Parkinson would’ve got the job full time.
    No. SHG is saying that if you’re talking Bertie big bollox about PL and European football in ten years then that journey starts today. Starting today means getting in someone who is proven not someone who has never managed in their lives. I love JJ but if it’s him appointed this week then I’ll be massively disappointed and conclude all that TS ambition was just BS. 
  • Options
    Michael Beale has certainly worked his way up in the football world and looks like he’d be keen if his tweets are anything to go by.
  • Options
    Young, progressive coach gaining a good reputation in the game. Charlton link.
    Andy Reid?
  • Options

Very interesting, speaks very well. I'd be a big fan of this type of appointment.

How can anyone have applied yet though. Only today that Bowyer resigned. I’d imagine if TS has known for a while then we would have approached a few names but I doubt anyone would have pitched for the job yet. 
  • Options
    I’ve never heard of Michael Beale but watching that video he certainly ticks all the boxes . 
    Had there been an rumours that he’s interested? 
  • Options

Would be perfect. 

Beale communicating the type of players he wants for his system, Gallen going off and getting them. 
    Why?
  • Options
    I think Beale was with us as a youth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get this sentiment of it having to be someone with no connection to us. Why? All the best periods we have had were when a Charlton man was in charge. I don't think it HAS to be a Charlton man but I personally like that we do it our way and don't hire in mercenary managers 
  • Options
    Steve Gallen has a good relationships with Thomas Sandgaard and he isn't Lee Bowyer's assistant. No way will he leave.

Just my opinion but I have heard TS praise SG.
  • Options

Would be perfect. 

Why?
    Just my gut feeling 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why the lol
    Because it’s silly and reactionary. You’re already setting yourself for disappointment.

If Jackson gets the gig full time, it’ll be on merit. Every realistic & experienced option at this level is going to have drawbacks.

Is there a manger anywhere that has managed any length of time that hasn't bad a bad patch or been sacked?  Pepe?

I’m saying it wouldn’t be an automatic appointment and if Jackson gets it long term, it’s because of results he gets on the pitch as caretaker.

If TS was in charge during those years, I doubt Parkinson would’ve got the job full time.
    No. SHG is saying that if you’re talking Bertie big bollox about PL and European football in ten years then that journey starts today. Starting today means getting in someone who is proven not someone who has never managed in their lives. I love JJ but if it’s him appointed this week then I’ll be massively disappointed and conclude all that TS ambition was just BS. 
    So you're going to throw the toys out the pram if we don't bring in a bloke with European football pedigree? We're in League One ffs. We can't just skip all the intermediate steps and go straight to appointing Pep Guardiola.

The journey starts today with the first step of many many steps. If you think we're going to have the same bloke in charge for the next ten years, you're bonkers.
  • Options
    Curbs, with Steve Brown as his assistant.
    Been watching most of the games on VP and the passion and knowledge not only for our club, but the game in general, is tremendous.
    Curbs still looks young enough, and has the required enthusiasm, whilst Brownie has great tactical appreciation.
    I felt the area that was Bowyer's downfall was his man management. Curbs has far superior experience and an excellent record in getting the best out of his players. Brownie comes across as a really down to earth, likeable bloke who the players would respect and listen to.

• Options
    Buzzing that I’m off work Thursday and Friday what with TS saying that he wants to make an appointment by the end of the week so will be able to keep close tabs on events. As Mrs AUN wanted me do some work in the garden she’s fuming. Which is tough for her.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why the lol

So you're going to throw the toys out the pram if we don't bring in a bloke with European football pedigree? We're in League One ffs. We can't just skip all the intermediate steps and go straight to appointing Pep Guardiola.

The journey starts today with the first step of many many steps. If you think we're going to have the same bloke in charge for the next ten years, you're bonkers.
    You know that’s not what I’m saying so don’t try and twist my words. I’m saying appointing a complete and total novice is not the actions of someone expecting success. 
  • Options
    Been watching most of the games on VP and the passion and knowledge not only for our club, but the game in general, is tremendous.
    Curbs still looks young enough, and has the required enthusiasm, whilst Brownie has great tactical appreciation.
    I felt the area that was Bowyer's downfall was his man management. Curbs has far superior experience and an excellent record in getting the best out of his players. Brownie comes across as a really down to earth, likeable bloke who the players would respect and listen to.

Curbs admits every week that he knows very little about League 1 and our opposition. Steve Brown is clearly knowledgeable and speaks a lot of sense 75% of the time, but the other 25% is complete nonsensical BS + the fact he was awful in his previous job and it's a no from me.
  • Options

I bet Curbs wouldn't have the first clue how to operate in the transfer market in this day and age. 

Wouldn't have a clue about any players either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    No word twisting going on SHG. I just think it's extremely unfair to dismiss Jackson in the way that you have done. Every good manager had to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Not too bothered about the "proven track record" thing. Most managers that have success at League 1 level on their CV are either in a job in the Championship, so quite likely unavailable to us, or out of work because they flopped in the Championship so may well not be a long term appointment for us. I doubt Wilder or Howe will be interested in us - maybe if Bowyer was leaving with us near the top of the table and in with a strong chance of immediate promotion, but staring down the barrel of a another season in League 1 - less attractive for stepping down the leagues.

I don't have names, but I think someone young and with fresh ideas and perhaps a more experienced assistant would be a good combination. Not adverse to someone foreign either. Whoever it is will come with some element of gamble attached. What I would say is, we do better when the manager fits with the Charlton identity - Curbs, Powell, Bowyer and even, to a far lesser extent success wise, Parkinson and Riga all fitted in terms of their personality. The real car-crash managers have been non-Charlton types. I have this sense WIlder wouldn't fit here, and possible Cowley too, although I know less about him so that may be unfair. Howe I think could work, but he didn't set the world on fire at Burnley so may one of those one club oddities. WIlder and Howe very likely unavailable to us anyway, as I said, so probably pointless even discussing their relative merits.

If we're promoting from within, I'd prefer to see Euelly given a shot over Jacko. We know he fancied the Wimbledon job.
  • Options
    No word twisting going on SHG. I just think it's extremely unfair to dismiss Jackson in the way that you have done. Every good manager had to start somewhere.
    Saying SHG would throw his toys out the pram if Jackson, who is he has not dismissed, is given the job - feels a bit like twisting his words. 
  • Options
    Jackson strikes me as another 'passion/get stuck in' manager that will get out-thought every week like Bowyer has done. 

I've seen nothing and heard nothing that would tell me any different. 
    And if that's what Sandgaard thinks then he won't get the job and that's fine by me.

I'm not trying to push JJ by any means but I do think we should be casting a wide net to get the best candidate possible and that will include interviewing people from within. It'll be sod's law that Jacko turns out to be a brilliant manager and could've been doing it here but we refused to give him a chance because he's a club legend. Madness.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    I know Laudrup is only being talked about because of the Danish connection, but I actually wouldn't be against it
    Listened to the studs up podcast with shelvey in it and he said he’s the best manager he’s worked with....the again he’s working with Bruce now 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Saying SHG would throw his toys out the pram if Jackson, who is he has not dismissed, is given the job - feels a bit like twisting his words. 
    After using phrases like "talking bertie big bollox about PL and European football" & "TS ambition was all BS", it sounds like a couple of toys might've already gone...
  • Options
    One problem with giving it to JJ until the end of the season is if he is eventually replaced then we fall into the same old problem of not being able to get our business done early doors because the new manager will not of had time to assess the squad and work out what he wants. This will put us a window behind our competitors again. Get someone in now is my preferred option. There are plenty of good managers available. 
  • Options
    Jackson strikes me as another 'passion/get stuck in' manager that will get out-thought every week like Bowyer has done. 

And if that's what Sandgaard thinks then he won't get the job and that's fine by me.

I'm not trying to push JJ by any means but I do think we should be casting a wide net to get the best candidate possible and that will include interviewing people from within. It'll be sod's law that Jacko turns out to be a brilliant manager and could've been doing it here but we refused to give him a chance because he's a club legend. Madness.
    Or we do appoint him and he fails due to lack of experience. Both scenarios are possible. Madness
  • Options

I think if Jackson gets 3 or 4 games we will see some of the shackles come off, exactly the same way they did when Bowyer got the first got the gig.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!