Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    Huge shame we missed out on Paul Cook as he was my number 1 pick by a mile.

Would like to see someone with football league experience currently in a role. Paul Warne would be my number 1 selection, but I reckon we would have to wait until end of the season.

For the first time in ten years, the Charlton job is a job which managers should want to apply for and seemed as a great opportunity for anyone.
  • Options
    The million dollar question. Definitely easier to think of people you wouldn't want rather than do want. 
    Really don't get this obsession with having a Charlton man, we're not a basket case anymore lets take our time with the appointment and stop the sentimental bollocks. Think we need someone who has a little bit of experience and possibly from the lower leagues? Wouldn't be too disappointed with the Cowley brothers, but then wouldn't excite me much either. Gary Monk, Russell Martin, Ryan Lowe, Matt Taylor - its these type of managers we'll be looking at not Wilder or Howe. 
  • Options
    Niels Frederiksen.

Sure he could manage the step up to League one....
  • Options
    Not saying he'd be my choice but someone to debate who has not been mentioned - David Wagner.

Stock isn't as high as it was following failure at Schalke, American connection....

• Options
    Poyet just took a job in Chile last month
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Two good potential candidates have taken new jobs, McCarthy and Cook. There are almost certainly names out there, especially abroad, who are well qualified and of whom we have little or no knowledge.
    Of the potentially available UK managers, Howe and Cowley, are the obvious ones. The problem is that the vast majority of experienced managers come with some failure behind them.
    Our need is for a manager who can take over an experienced but out of form squad, but still one with a lot of potential. IF Eddie Howe has regained his confidence and his mojo, he'll do for me, but I wonder if he needs the stress of a job that will be bring really high and immediate expectations from us fans.
    Long shots ? .. Mark Cooper at FGR, Ryan Lowe at Plymouth, Michael Duff at Cheltenham, note the preference for lower league managers who have fresh ideas and some good experience. I say again, it's a shame that the best of the older brigade are no longer 'on the market'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just leave JJ in charge for now, let the dust and peoples emotions settle, I have no idea who replaces Lee at the moment, in Thomas I trust.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    People really think Wilder or Howe are realistic ? No premier league manager would drop down to league 1, no matter how much money they are offered. 

Realistically, I think it'll be the Cowley brothers. Which wouldn't be a bad appointment imo. 
  • Options
    Any talk of Wilder or Howe is a waste of time, it simply won’t happen. There are much bigger clubs with much bigger budgets that will be interested in those two, particularly Wilder. 

If I was a betting man all my money would be on Michael Laudrup. I’m not sure if they’re close but I know Sandgaard is extremely fond of him. If we’re appointing someone in the next few days I imagine it would be him.

I personally would like to see JJ given a go.
    Wasn't one of the Laudrup (I assumed Michael) in the stand for one of our games earlier this season? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Out of the names that jumped out at me; (all just my personal opinion, not to be taken too seriously)

A list-

Howe and Wilder. 95% sure they wouldn't have any interest but if there's any chance then make it happen. 

B list- 

-Cowleys (not sure why so many are negative about them? They are adaptable and not necessarily hoofball merchants. I think a lot of people look at Huddersfield's final league position and don't realise that they were right in the relegation mix when they Cowleys took over)

-Daniel Stendel
    -Ryan Lowe
    -JJ or Euell and assess their performance until the end of the season.
    -A foreign manager, chosen by someone with more knowledge of these people than me. Clubs like Barnsley and Brentford have had a lot of success by implementing a long term playing style which managers are recruited to work towards. 
    -Powell

C list- wouldn't be my choices but could possibly make an argument for-

Jackett
    Karanka
    Rowett
    Curbs- best manager on this list by far but I fear he's been out of the game too long
    Adkins

The please God no's-

Pulis
    Lambert
    Pardew
    Harris

Etc... Too many to list. 
  • Options
    Goodbye Lee and thanks for all you did, but it did need a new approach.

I am happy we use Johnny J and Jason until the end of the season, but it needs great care for Lee's permanent replacement.

PLEASE NOT:

Kenny Jackett
    Danny Cowley
    Neil Harris

or any other 2 bob, third rate manager, or half dead old timer either.

Also, no Palace or Millwall connection please 

Does not need to be a name, but does need technical competence and some passion for our club.

• Options
    I think TS will try and get someone good/high profile and could be Danish, so Laudrup a good call
  • Options
    No real thoughts on who the next man should be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight realignment on duties.

Ged Roddy's background is very much in coaching methodologies and technical development, and I'd expect to see someone come in who has similar beliefs on that front. Particularly if the rumours about clashes between Bowyer and Roddy were true.

We've got a Technical Director and a Director of Football (albeit one mainly focused on recruitment) in place and typically in that scenario you don't have a 'manager' in the traditional sense, but a head coach.

That might rule out some of the more established, old school names, and favour someone younger, potentially in a coaching setup higher up the divisions or abroad.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Simonsen as player manager
  • Options
    Experience and proven track record is a MUST

someone who has got teams up before aswell as being a gd man manager / motivator

i hope its a big name willing to spend A year or 2 building and given the funds 
  • Options
    People really think Wilder or Howe are realistic ? No premier league manager would drop down to league 1, no matter how much money they are offered. 

Realistically, I think it'll be the Cowley brothers. Which wouldn't be a bad appointment imo. 
    just want to point out that neither are actually Premier League managers. Both currently managing the weekly chores rota at home.
    No, but one of them has been turning down jobs at clubs far bigger than us.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I think they are both incredibly unlikely but I can see Wilder more than Howe, Howe is literally no chance he's not far off being the favourite to be next England manager, and is probably pretty likely to replace Roy at Palace. Wilder I'd be shocked by still, but not as stunned

And yeah as others said, Cook was my number 1 option by far so shame we've just been pipped to him by a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Paulo Di Canio anyone? Jimmy Flloyd Hassbaink?
  • Options
    This is the wiki entry for Laudrup's  time as Swansea manager .. a very mixed and seesaw time in his only EFL managerial job. Does he now need the hassle ?????

On 15 June 2012, Laudrup was appointed manager of Swansea City on a two-year contract, becoming the first Dane to manage in the Premier League.[86] He made several new signings after arriving at Liberty Stadium, including MichuChico FloresPablo HernándezJonathan de Guzmán and Ki Sung-yueng. His first competitive match as Swansea manager came as an impressive 0–5 away win at Loftus Road against Queens Park Rangers.[87]

At Swansea, Alan Tate said that Laudrup was considered to be the best player in training, despite being 48 years old.[88] He has been commended for his choice of signings, most notably with Michu, who scored 22 goals in 2012 for Swansea after he signed him for a bargain €2.5 million from Rayo Vallecano.[89] On 23 January 2013, he led Swansea into their first ever major cup final after defeating reigning European champions Chelsea 2–0 on aggregate over two legs in the League Cup semi-finals.[90]

On 7 February 2013, Laudrup appointed former Danish international midfielder Morten Wieghorst as his assistant after previously signing him as a player when Laudrup was managing Brøndby.[91] Laudrup would later say he "certainly" believes Wieghorst "can be manager" of Swansea, as "he has experience from Scottish football and is familiar with English football".[92] On 24 February, Laudrup said he had no "ambition to become the manager" of a big club, because he could not "have done everything for 10 years" in management and then be fired "after nine months" for not winning any trophies.[93] He also said it gave him "much more pleasure to see how well" he could do where he did not "have to win all the time".[94]

On 24 February 2013, Laudrup won his first trophy with Swansea after his side beat Bradford City 5–0 to win the Football League Cup at Wembley.[95] This was also Swansea's first major trophy in English football in the club's history.

Following Swansea's 1–0 win over Newcastle United on 2 March 2013[96] the club moved into eighth position in the top-half of the Premier League table, seemingly safe from relegation with 40 points and ten games left; Laudrup said he wanted Swansea to finish eighth, stating that "coming eighth [will be] like winning the league" for the club because he felt "the first seven spots" were already taken by Manchester UnitedManchester City, Chelsea, Tottenham HotspurArsenalLiverpool and Everton.[97] On 3 March, though he had said that his "intention" was "to stay" in south Wales for the next year, Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins said that the club were in the "process of looking for the next manager" of the club in case Laudrup did choose to leave the club.[98]

On 8 March 2013, Laudrup signed a new contract with Swansea, keeping him at the club until 2015.[99] Reports indicated that he agreed to a contract with a release clause in the region of £5 million, much like the release clause Brendan Rodgers agreed to when he signed a contract extension at the Liberty Stadium four months prior to joining Liverpool.[100] On 10 May, however, he confirmed that his "intention" was to stay at Swansea "next season," saying that reports he wanted to leave Wales was "pure speculation."[101]

On 4 February 2014, Laudrup was sacked by Swansea following a poor run of form which left the club two points clear of relegation.[102] At the time of the decision, the team had lost six out of their last eight league games.[16]

• Options
    We need someone to rebuild this side, sort the wheat from the chaff, build a squad we can be proud of, and take this league by storm next year, ideally with a Charlton connection. I know he's not been as successful since he left... but there's one clear choice for me who has done this all, assuming we can't get Howe or Wilder. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Couple of names that have been mentioned. Stendel is a good shout. The one I would love and it’s probably pie in the sky is Laudrup. 

I just hope we don’t go for Cowley, Jackett, Harris or Monk. 

Somebody who can get us playing decent football, a game plan and players that fit their system would be a good start. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!