Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• In order of TS's possible powers of selling the dream:

Eddie Howe
    Chris Wilder
    Nigel Clough
    Matt Taylor
  • How the fuck does Pardew get on that odds list !!!
    How to alienate the fan base in one easy lesson  :D
  • I genuinely think it needs to be a permanent appointment rather than caretaker until the end of the season. The next bloke has time to evaluate his squad and get players in early doors.
    Would be nice to have a full pre-seaon with the majority of players on board for the entirety. I should imagine there isn’t much expectation on the new man having to make the play offs (despite what Sandgaard says about booking his flight over for Wembley).

it needs a complete re-build. 
  • I genuinely think it needs to be a permanent appointment rather than caretaker until the end of the season. The next bloke has time to evaluate his squad and get players in early doors.
    Would be nice to have a full pre-seaon with the majority of players on board for the entirety. I should imagine there isn’t much expectation on the new man having to make the play offs (despite what Sandgaard says about booking his flight over for Wembley).

it needs a complete re-build. 
    I’d rather a caretaker than a quick but ultimately wrong appointment. If TS fails with his first or even second choice I wouldn’t want him to choose JJ just because. Far better to use the next few months to get the right man even if it’s not the ideal scenario.
  • Wilder
    howe
    cowleys

however realistic we should at least try for them
  • I love this football club as much as any of you, but you're off your rockers if you think it's going to be Wilder. He's a cert for the Celtic job. 
  • Wilder
    howe
    cowleys

however realistic we should at least try for them
    Yes the question should be asked of both Howe and Wilder.
  • A manager who buys into the ethos of the club, would understand why Tracy Leaburn put her neck on the line because she cared, why the fans threw pigs and undertook a funeral march against Duchatelet. That is part of my criteria for a manager.

Any employee can take the money and do what they always do, either successfully or not, but as a club we need someone who will buy into the CAFC ethos embodied by Curbs, Powell and yes, Bowyer. There is no way that the Cowley Brothers would do that any more than Karl Robinson did.

Those that have played for the club and seen us through the  bad times should have a head start in the loyalty stakes otherwise we will become a management revolving door like  other clubs. We are not other clubs. I believe that TS understands that and was part of the reason he bought the club. That should sway his decision.

When employing people I have always looked for the commitment to the company that takes people the extra mile and makes the company successful.
    Problem is you are then looking at a very, very small pool. So either Powell, JJ, Euell or Pardew. 

I brought this up a few years ago & started a thread saying why did we have to always want an ex-player. Are they more passionate?  Maybe, but then again passion only takes you so far and I would always want talent before passion. And dont tell me that Klop has no passion because he never played for Liverpool.

You don't have to "get" a club to be a good manager. 
    I'm sorry, you do have to "get" a club to be a good manager. Klopp gets Liverpool and, no, you don't have to  just fish from a small pool of  Curbs, Powell, JJ, Euell or Pardew. (god forbid the last one). If a workman doesn't care about his work and his workplace he will produce something that is just good enough. 

• Can't believe Chris Powell is a serious suggestion, got a lot of time for Powell but he left us 7 years ago and hasn't done anything in his managerial career since to suggest he would be a success here. 
    I'm more amazed Curbs is second in the running given the amount of time he's been sitting down.
    I think that's madness too.
  • Sponsored links:

• How about Carvalhal?  had a good couple of years at Sheff Wed and nearly kept Swansea up.

• A manager who buys into the ethos of the club, would understand why Tracy Leaburn put her neck on the line because she cared, why the fans threw pigs and undertook a funeral march against Duchatelet. That is part of my criteria for a manager.

Any employee can take the money and do what they always do, either successfully or not, but as a club we need someone who will buy into the CAFC ethos embodied by Curbs, Powell and yes, Bowyer. There is no way that the Cowley Brothers would do that any more than Karl Robinson did.

Those that have played for the club and seen us through the  bad times should have a head start in the loyalty stakes otherwise we will become a management revolving door like  other clubs. We are not other clubs. I believe that TS understands that and was part of the reason he bought the club. That should sway his decision.

When employing people I have always looked for the commitment to the company that takes people the extra mile and makes the company successful.
    Problem is you are then looking at a very, very small pool. So either Powell, JJ, Euell or Pardew. 

I brought this up a few years ago & started a thread saying why did we have to always want an ex-player. Are they more passionate?  Maybe, but then again passion only takes you so far and I would always want talent before passion. And dont tell me that Klop has no passion because he never played for Liverpool.

I'm sorry, you do have to "get" a club to be a good manager. Klopp gets Liverpool and, no, you don't have to  just fish from a small pool of  Curbs, Powell, JJ, Euell or Pardew. (god forbid the last one). If a workman doesn't care about his work and his workplace he will produce something that is just good enough. 

You need someone who cares most about winning and how to achieve that. Everything else is a bonus. A winner cares about his work. How can he not. 
  • If he doesn’t find his Plan A this week as he mentioned.  Then plan B (interim) should be Jason Euell for me.

He’s a charlton man, and worst case scenario we finish mid table and he gets some vital experience before going back to the under 21s.
  • Can't believe Chris Powell is a serious suggestion, got a lot of time for Powell but he left us 7 years ago and hasn't done anything in his managerial career since to suggest he would be a success here. 
    I'm more amazed Curbs is second in the running given the amount of time he's been sitting down.
    I think that's madness too.
    No madness is 'I like driving in my car'.
  • Money aside, a Howe or Wilder would be mad to take this job. If it all goes wrong, they end up being a recently failed manager at League 1 level. I just don't think it's a risk they'd be willing to take, but I'd be very happy to be wrong...
  • Sponsored links:

• How about Carvalhal?  had a good couple of years at Sheff Wed and nearly kept Swansea up.

Carvahal has been at the biggest club in the world so wouldn't bother with us. 
  • Danny Cowley was on sky sports last Friday morning , saying had had a few offers but was waiting for the right project.
    Said wanted to work for an owner that shared their vision of progressing a club 'the right way'

Am sure he also said he and his brother had been working on training routines and now had something like 1100 different drills etc to keep training fresh and to address different needs at different times
  • no way on gods green earth is Howe coming to Charlton, don’t care how much money TS could throw at it, not happening, ridiculous to think it would.

Surely Klopp would "get" any top side, it's not as if his personality or style of football would be alien for United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc
  • Money aside, a Howe or Wilder would be mad to take this job. If it all goes wrong, they end up being a recently failed manager at League 1 level. I just don't think it's a risk they'd be willing to take, but I'd be very happy to be wrong...
    I think they have ego’s that exclude failure. They must have confidence in their own abilities 
  • If he doesn’t find his Plan A this week as he mentioned.  Then plan B (interim) should be Jason Euell for me.

He’s a charlton man, and worst case scenario we finish mid table and he gets some vital experience before going back to the under 21s.
    I don't think Euall will be in his current job next season. 
    That’s how I see it. Quite laughable that it’s being talked about so much. They’d be mad to take the job when they’d walk into a PL job within the next year. 

If they come here and fail there’s no chance they’ll get a PL job until they prove themselves in the championship again. Waste of time discussing it. 
  • European route?
    Brentford model?
    Someone who knows how to get out of L1?
    Someone with top level experience?
    New and upcoming?
    Lots of experience?
    Charlton connection?

so many variables. Share what would be your approach and what names you fancy / don’t fancy
    1. Probably not - I think experience in or around this level is vital. Not adverse to it for the future, but not in L1.
    2. I'd be fine with this, albeit not if it came of the cost of any academy investment. This kind of analytical approach could be the kind of smart thinking that we need to get back up the league(s).
    3. Yes, absolutely.
    4. Not necessarily - getting out of L1 is the major hurdle here.
    5. Preferably not - I want to see experience.
    6. As above, yes, experience is key to getting us out.
    7. If possible. It'd be nice to have, but not a defining requirement.
    I'd like Wilder or Howe, but we likely aren't a big enough pull for either of them. Not sure about Cowley, but a lot more likely. I don't feel like any of the ones with a Charlton connection are the right fit where we are now, aside from JJ (if he can pull off some miracle form and/or get these players playing as they could).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!