Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Mark Hughes another name ive heard thrown into the mix 
  • cafctom said:
    I can't be the only one who is amazed by the amount of Chris Wilder suggestions, as if it would be in any way remotely possible? 
    You're not the only one.
    No way a Premier League manager will drop back down to our level.
    Hes an out of work manager atm.
  • Lee Clarke.

We would never lose again  :)

Until we played Millwall.  :(
  • A manager who buys into the ethos of the club, would understand why Tracy Leaburn put her neck on the line because she cared, why the fans threw pigs and undertook a funeral march against Duchatelet. That is part of my criteria for a manager.

Any employee can take the money and do what they always do, either successfully or not, but as a club we need someone who will buy into the CAFC ethos embodied by Curbs, Powell and yes, Bowyer. There is no way that the Cowley Brothers would do that any more than Karl Robinson did.

Those that have played for the club and seen us through the  bad times should have a head start in the loyalty stakes otherwise we will become a management revolving door like  other clubs. We are not other clubs. I believe that TS understands that and was part of the reason he bought the club. That should sway his decision.

When employing people I have always looked for the commitment to the company that takes people the extra mile and makes the company successful.
    Problem is you are then looking at a very, very small pool. So either Powell, JJ, Euell or Pardew. 

I brought this up a few years ago & started a thread saying why did we have to always want an ex-player. Are they more passionate?  Maybe, but then again passion only takes you so far and I would always want talent before passion. And dont tell me that Klop has no passion because he never played for Liverpool.

You don't have to "get" a club to be a good manager. 
  • cafctom said:
    I can't be the only one who is amazed by the amount of Chris Wilder suggestions, as if it would be in any way remotely possible? 
    You're not the only one.
    This.

Also one of the main reasons Wilder left Sheff Utd was a disagreement over recruitment and that Prince Abdullah wanted to bring in a DOF. We have that with Gallen, and Roddy overseeing as well, so why would he leave his boyhood club and come and embrace that model here.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's Wilder for me of the current top 5
    Tbh I'd say wilder is far more likely than any of the 3 favourites!. 
  • msomerton said:
    We can’t rely on a Charlton connection. I’d like the Brentford way . The moneyball statistics way of winning but that’s easier said than done . 
    The Brentford way, so we will do away with the academy then.
    I've never won on Valley Gold so why not - F'kem 
  • I would have thought Howe will go to Palace in the Summer.

Chris Wilder didn't come to Cafc because Duchatelet wouldn't put certain things in writing and "Cafc fans" who told CW we were a basket case. It would be good if the same Cafc fans could now let Wilder know we are under new vibrant management with a 5 year plan.

Just watched the Sack Race post someone put up earlier & Wilder actually said that he got a telephone call on the evening he was driving down to London before being unveiled as our new manager. Sheff U wanted to talk to him before he signed on the dotted line with us. He met them at 8am the next morning & said that he'd always said that he would never turn that job down. 

Taking him at his word I'm assuming that if Sheff U hadnt had phoned him that evening he would have been our manager the next day. 
  • edited March 2021
    A manager who buys into the ethos of the club, would understand why Tracy Leaburn put her neck on the line because she cared, why the fans threw pigs and undertook a funeral march against Duchatelet. That is part of my criteria for a manager.

Any employee can take the money and do what they always do, either successfully or not, but as a club we need someone who will buy into the CAFC ethos embodied by Curbs, Powell and yes, Bowyer. There is no way that the Cowley Brothers would do that any more than Karl Robinson did.

Those that have played for the club and seen us through the  bad times should have a head start in the loyalty stakes otherwise we will become a management revolving door like  other clubs. We are not other clubs. I believe that TS understands that and was part of the reason he bought the club. That should sway his decision.

When employing people I have always looked for the commitment to the company that takes people the extra mile and makes the company successful.
    That’s all fluff. What is most important is that the manager gets results. I really couldn’t give a toss if he’s never heard about our history. Whoever it is will be gone at some point anyway. We need a winner not a sentimental loser. 
     You would be surprised at how often that "fluff" plays out to a winning formula because the psychological impact on the team on the field  or, in business, the people who represent the company in the field play to their strengths and deliver results. 

Solskjaer after a shaky start managed to bring most of the problems at Manure under control where Mourinho  and Moyes had not succeeded. His previous incarnation at Cardiff where he did not have the  background failed. 

I can understand why you believe it can only be results driven, and I have worked with many people  who think along those lines. I have always found that the most successful  business managers I have worked with, own every aspect of their business including the fluff. Those that don't, spin the revolving door.

Personally  I would welcome  Chris Powell back, because of the unfinished business he has a point to prove. From  his recent appearances on Valley Pass, Llewelyn Charles  seems still to have his wits about him and has that fluff as you like to call it. He has never failed as a manager, in his case the owners of West Ham didn't like that he wanted to take responsibility for the team and he walked. Jason Euell may deserve a chance.  The Cowells were successful at Lincoln and built the ethos but that didn't translate to success at Huddersfield and the same applied to Powell at  Southend and Huddersfield, However, he was successful at the Valley because of the ethos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ched Evans
  • shine166 said:
    cafctom said:
    You're not the only one.
    Hes an out of work manager atm.
    Is that really a realistic argument? I'm out of work so may as well go Charlton.
    We are L1 and an average squad at this level. Wilder would be great but he is gonna be wanted by clubs bigger than us in my opinion 
  • Think the question should be who is there ?
    names thrown about don’t get you jumping out your seat and if that’s all there is then we might as well
    Wait till summer ...... Wilder and Lampard but expect they see themselves prem top six championship .... personally expect us to go the overseas route 
  • Croydon said:
    We need to get promoted, first and foremost. I love Euell and Jacko, but I don't think either of them have what it takes to do that.
    They might but we simply don’t know. You don’t appoint to the most important job you have to a completely unknown quantity. That’s not ambition but gambling on a miracle.
  • I’m waiting for my wedge of cash for when Wilder takes the Celtic job. Got him at 50/1. Zero chance he would swap that for a mid table league 1 club.
  • Arthur Shelby
  • I would have thought Howe will go to Palace in the Summer.

Chris Wilder didn't come to Cafc because Duchatelet wouldn't put certain things in writing and "Cafc fans" who told CW we were a basket case. It would be good if the same Cafc fans could now let Wilder know we are under new vibrant management with a 5 year plan.

Just watched the Sack Race post someone put up earlier & Wilder actually said that he got a telephone call on the evening he was driving down to London before being unveiled as our new manager. Sheff U wanted to talk to him before he signed on the dotted line with us. He met them at 8am the next morning & said that he'd always said that he would never turn that job down. 

Taking him at his word I'm assuming that if Sheff U hadnt had phoned him that evening he would have been our manager the next day. 
    It had nothing to do with Roland , the press conference was booked for 11am but he left his hotel at midnight to take the job at Sheff without telling RD .. Charlton only found out next morning when a car was sent to collect him 
  • Lee Clarke.

We would never lose again  :)

Until we played Millwall.  :(
    His voice is like the white noise they use to torture people at Guantamano Bay.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Mark Hughes another name ive heard thrown into the mix 
    Saw him on Sky Sports yesterday & he was asked if he wanted to get back into management. He said only if the right job came along  & he's had offers in the past that he felt werent right.

I'm assuming he'll be looking for a bigger club than us. And he scored in the Cup game up at Old Trafford  that killed our dreams......so No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy for a caretaker and make permanent appointment in the summer. Would have liked Paul Cook but we were too late. If we can persuade Wilder that would be great.

Nobody else stands out at present.
  • Maybe we'll go for a currently employed manager? 

Klopps not been in great form recently. Maybe he fancies a new challenge before he's pushed. 
  • matt88 said:
    cafctom said:
    You're not the only one.
    This.

Also one of the main reasons Wilder left Sheff Utd was a disagreement over recruitment and that Prince Abdullah wanted to bring in a DOF. We have that with Gallen, and Roddy overseeing as well, so why would he leave his boyhood club and come and embrace that model here.
    Then Wilder will be stuffed in getting most Premier League jobs. Very few managers get that type of freedom anymore. When he joined Sheffield United in league one he no doubt had it and certainly with Northampton but if he wants complete control then he’s not getting that in the PL with his current CV.
  • edited March 2021
    Jason Euell maybe worth a run to end of the season.

Gareth Ainsworth / Nigel Clough / Appleton...

Otherwise Cowley's

Wilder and Howe are pipe dreams.

Klopps not been in great form recently. Maybe he fancies a new challenge before he's pushed. 
    His current central defensive options are worse than ours.....

Nah, don't like his glasses! 
  • Thomas is hardly any more qualified than any of us in choosing the next manager. Ged Roddy probably has more of a handle on it but does he really know his football that much ?
  • Can't believe Chris Powell is a serious suggestion, got a lot of time for Powell but he left us 7 years ago and hasn't done anything in his managerial career since to suggest he would be a success here. 
    I'm more amazed Curbs is second in the running given the amount of time he's been sitting down.
  • Is it worth giving Karel Fraeye another chance? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!