Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    If we was in the championship with a budget and aim to get to the premier League then we could go for Howe or Wilder. 

For me 2 Options:

1. Johnnie Jackson/Jason Euell till end of the season then see who we can grab at the end of season. (I would take Nathan Jones off Luton if they get relegated).

2. Get someone in asap to start building the foundations for next season. 

For me Cowley brothers are the most progressive option transformed Lincoln and stablised Huddersfield very detailed in their work. London lads as well.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    People really think Wilder or Howe are realistic ? No premier league manager would drop down to league 1, no matter how much money they are offered. 

Realistically, I think it'll be the Cowley brothers. Which wouldn't be a bad appointment imo. 
    just want to point out that neither are actually Premier League managers. Both currently managing the weekly chores rota at home.
    Indeed but they are still well out of our league - they would get a PL job if and when available and if they wanted it.

Palace in the summer, as one example.
  • Options
    Stuff the Brentford way.

We're Charlton Athletic we do it our way like we did with Seed, Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell & Bowyer. 
    And Mike Bailey.
  • Options
    People really think Wilder or Howe are realistic ? No premier league manager would drop down to league 1, no matter how much money they are offered. 

Realistically, I think it'll be the Cowley brothers. Which wouldn't be a bad appointment imo. 
    just want to point out that neither are actually Premier League managers. Both currently managing the weekly chores rota at home.
    Indeed but they are still well out of our league - they would get a PL job if and when available and if they wanted it.

Not sure Wilder would attract many PL clubs. Certainly plenty of Championship ones though. If the money is right and the club vision is sold then you never know. 
  • Options

Not sure Wilder would attract many PL clubs. Certainly plenty of Championship ones though. If the money is right and the club vision is sold then you never know. 
    Will have to agree to disagree, I think he did enough in the 3 years before this season for several PL clubs to want to take him.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Matthew Taylor would be a step backwards as would the Cowley brothers.

I really think caretaker until the end of season Curbs or Jacko would be the best shout then have a long think about who best for the long term 
    Considering he hasn't managed in 12 years I'm not sure Curbs can escape the idea of stepping back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i really don't get the dislike of the Cowleys.  They have a win rate of over 50% across 650 games!!
    They play absolutely awful football, which is why they got sacked from Huddersfield.
  • Options
    Trust in TS.
  • Options
    Darren Fletcher at 25s, has just been appointed technical director at Man United!! 
  • Options
    Nigel Adkins could be a shout? Managed to get Southampton promoted from Lg1 to the prem and could fit the long term model TS is looking for?
    It’s not 2005 anymore
  • Options
    i really don't get the dislike of the Cowleys.  They have a win rate of over 50% across 650 games!!
    They play absolutely awful football, which is why they got sacked from Huddersfield.
    They would fit right in at the moment then.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Darren Fletcher at 25s, has just been appointed technical director at Man United!! 
    This would be an incredible get but I don't think he'd leave in a month of Sundays
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Jackson 9/4
    curbs 5/1
    cowley 10/1
    powell 10/1
    Jacket 12/1
    wilder12/1
    harris 14/1
    appleton 16/1
    poyet 20/1o
    pardew 20/1

Suprised that euell isn’t in there
  • Options
    At the end of the day, you can play awful football and win or you can play pretty football and lose. If those are the only two options, I know which I’d pick. Norwich tried to play pretty football in the Premier League last season and it didn’t do them any good.

We’re in League One, we’re not going to be playing total football any time soon no matter who comes in.
  • Options
    Would rather it wasn't someone already at the club, so rule out JJ & Euell. I'd also rather go with someone non Charlton otherwise you have the same problem we had with Bowyer when trying to get rid. Too much "he's CAFC through & through" and "think of what he's done for us in the past".
    The flaw in this thinking is that people were saying those things because the manager DID get us a promotion in the past and knew how to get out of this league. Why he regressed so drastically is not a question I have the answer to, unfortunately. 

I don’t think Bowyer staying was the right way to go, but I understand why some people had the feeling that it would work.

Realistically, we’re not going to hire a manager who will be here 5+ years, as that just doesn’t happen anymore, so I’m happy for us to bring in a Charlton man to get the fans back on board again and get us out of this piss poor league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would go with Matt Taylor. He was part of the 101 League One Champ team - he must know the best  lower league players ( essential ). He is a mate of Ged Roddy , they were together at Team Bath and he has done a decent job at Exeter. Also he is still young - its generally a young mans game unless you are Bielsa !! - our best success came when Curbs & SCP were young and Lennie too.
  • Options
    It's a no from me for JJ. I'd have Jason ahead of him.
    Hope it's not a no mark from Denmark.
    My gut feeling is its gonna be Harris.
  • Options
    Jorge Costa   ?
    Haha. Curbs pretty much admitted Jorge didn’t have a clue about us or what was going on a lot of his time with us. Would be an awful appointment. 
  • Options
    That isn't why they got sacked at all
  • Options
    I like the idea of the kind of model that Southampton, Swansea and Brentford have used, where you have a type of manager who plays a type of football, you build everything around that style from the youth team to transfers, and you put a manager in who fits the criteria. That takes away the reliance on finding a superstar manager at the right point in time or someone who happens to be in form, and makes the whole set-up more important than just one bloke. Barnsley are doing it well at the moment, they didn't miss a beat when their manager jumped because they just found someone who could build on what the club was doing anyway
    And Barnsley, listened to an interview with their American CEO the other night, very interesting model they are operating up there. And it appears to be working.
  • Options
    Would like an up and coming young coach, as for Eddie Howe, look at his success or lack of it at Burnley. He went back to Bournemouth a club with a ten thousand ground capacity, the owners pay more than allowed to entice players to the club and get promoted. He got manager of the year for getting a club promoted and that promotion wouldn't have happened had they stuck to the rules.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    JJ to the end of the season buys us time, which makes sense, although an incoming by the end of next week apparently?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!