Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    People who are underwhelmed - might I ask why? 
    His recent track record isn't all that impressive. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and took Southampton from League One to the Premier League which was incredibly impressive but at the same time have been very well run since for the most part with a never ending stream of managers. IN fact they finished between 6th and 8th each of the 4 full seaoss after he left.
    He didn't pull up trees at any of Reading, Sheffield United or Hull in his short spells at each club. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for these but I haven't been following any of those clubs closely so on the surface theres not a huge amount to get excited about in terms of results.
    On the plus side, he has two promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    If there is any reason I have this wrong I'd love to be corrected.
    three. Also at Hull he kept them up when they looked doomed and the following season took them to a 13th place finish without any real backing.  
    Thanks, didn't realise he had taken Scunthorpe up twice. So we can look at his previous clubs and say he did a good to great job with Scunthorpe and Southampton, a good job with Hull, especially considering the circumstances, an ok/mediocre job at Reading (7th in the Championship isn't bad) and a poor job at Sheffield United?

Sheffield United they were in with a shot of the playoffs until a loss to Coventry on the penultimate weekend of the season. Last game loss to Scunthorpe meant they dropped to 11th.
  • Options
    I'm happy with this - I think it's good for all parties. We get someone who knows how to get out of this division which is all we have to worry about for now. Plus we get someone that likes to play attractive football and understands the importance of the youth team set-up. 

JJ gets to learn from an experienced manager which can only help with his development and make him a better candidate for the top job in the future.

For all of those that are underwhelmed - I don't know what you're expecting!? We're a League One club, we've spent more time in League One than any other division in recent years. 
    Dépends on your definition of recent.

I certainly don't consider us a League One / 3rd division club historically and potentially, which seems to be what you mean.
  • Options
    Thomas doesn't muck around, does he.
  • Options
    Really glad the majority on here see this as a positive appointment. TS obviously planning for the future which makes a change for us and we should happily embrace that change. I just hope he doesnt get stick if we dont make the playoffs, imo the damage has already been done this season which is a shame but hopefully onwards and upwards 
  • Options
    Read the press stuff from Richard and Benjy.
    All looks very positive on many fronts going forwards.
    A positive vibe that hopefully will bring results.
    Words are easy, its making them happen that is hard.
    Will we leave the third tier in the summer?  We shall see.
    Good luck Nigel and may you bring success to the club, staff and players!
    And lets hope the fans get behind him...
  • Options
    Must admit to initially feeling underwhelmed, but after listening to his interview with Olly I feel more positive. Welcome Nigel
    Does listening to Olly count as research?
    I hope that you used headphones if in the library.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sandgaard admitted he's been looking at managers a while. He'd have been silly not to given our season. 
    Should always be doing that anyway. If you're having a decent season then someone might come  in for your manager, or any amount of things might happen. It's good to see that Sandgaard recognises that
    Read an article in the Saturday papers a while ago about Southampton FC. 
    The owner said that he always had a replacement lined up for each position, in case change was needed
    And with half the team seemingly departing northwards every summer, I could see why. 
    Excellent strategy and planning by Mr S.
    Things are looking up!
  • Options
    Cheerio Pratley and Watson don’t let the door hit you on the way out
    They are so slow they will probably get hit by it twice. 
  • Options
    Cheerio Pratley and Watson don’t let the door hit you on the way out
  • Options
    He won the play-offs beating MK and Millwall.

Sounds like heaven.
  • Options
    I love this quote by TS.

"He is upbeat and has a winning personality. You can't just put that on a spreadsheet."

You can't just put that on a spreadsheet, fecking brilliant. I'm definitely nicking that one.
    More lies from the regime...

You told him!
  • Options
    Good luck Nigel and glad to see that JJ is staying on. COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm happy with this - I think it's good for all parties. We get someone who knows how to get out of this division which is all we have to worry about for now. Plus we get someone that likes to play attractive football and understands the importance of the youth team set-up. 

JJ gets to learn from an experienced manager which can only help with his development and make him a better candidate for the top job in the future.

For all of those that are underwhelmed - I don't know what you're expecting!? We're a League One club, we've spent more time in League One than any other division in recent years. 

I certainly don't consider us a League One / 3rd division club historically and potentially, which seems to be what you mean.

We're definitely not a League One club...that is how I'd describe Gillingham, Walsall and so on. We've spent 77% of our time as a League club in the upper two divisions, and 33 years in the top flight (compared with 21 for Crystal Palace). Think this looks a sound appointment, though a little of me wonders why Adkins has been out of the game since 2019.
  • Options
    Many saying he is too nice, in that earlier post with the link to the interview looking back on his time at Southampton he said they had a really important match away at Brighton (withdean).

He said he needed to read them the riot act at half time which was unusual for him, he got a reaction and they came from behind to win 2-1. So he has that in him if it is needed. 
  • Options
    Disappointed that Adkins isn’t pictured with a guitar, to be honest

Thomas and Johnnie on guitar while Nige raps his poetic lyrics.
  • Options
    Defences win championships goals win matches.

Love it
  • Options
    A good point by Reg. Indeed that was an argument from the "Bowyer outers" that by doing it now rather than in the summer, it would give the new person a headstart for next season. It made a lot of sense to either sack Bowyer now OR to definitely keep him on for next season and let him plan for it, not wait until the summer and then think about his position.

A complication at the moment is that we still have an outside of promotion this season, so we'll have to plan for two very different scenarios next season, whereas when Powell took over we fell away meaning he could concentrate on the following season's recruitment.
  • Options

We're definitely not a League One club...that is how I'd describe Gillingham, Walsall and so on. We've spent 77% of our time as a League club in the upper two divisions, and 33 years in the top flight (compared with 21 for Crystal Palace). Think this looks a sound appointment, though a little of me wonders why Adkins has been out of the game since 2019.
    He has said has turned down several job offers as they weren’t right for him.

• Options
    Beginning to think that Thomas is incapable of doing anything wrong.I guarantee that keeping JJ was a part of the deal with 
    Adkins,he obviously saw the respect the players had for JJ and how popular he is.
    Or maybe it was because Adkin's assistant at his previous 4 clubs joined Port Vale last week?
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-crosby-vale-sheffield-united-5106853
  • Options
    I’m delighted Jacko is staying . 

I’ll reserve judgement on Adkins .  His success was a long time ago.