Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Beginning to think that Thomas is incapable of doing anything wrong.I guarantee that keeping JJ was a part of the deal with 
    Adkins,he obviously saw the respect the players had for JJ and how popular he is.
    Or maybe it was because Adkin's assistant at his previous 4 clubs joined Port Vale last week?
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-crosby-vale-sheffield-united-5106853
    Only until the end of the season so maybe he will be added to the coaching staff in the summer. Does tend to lend weight to the story that Adkins appointment happened quickly because I’m sure if he’d known say a week ago then Crosby wouldn’t have joined Port Vale.
  • Apologies if this has already been covered...

The 'Allez Allez Allez' song need not be ditched. Au contraire, we can now sing it correctly.

'...now we've got Lee Bowyer' was poor grammar as 'got' is superfluous. 'We have' is sufficient. 

However, as 'Nigel Adkins' has an extra syllable, '...we have Nigel Adkins' doesn't scan. Therefore, we contract 'we have' to 'we've', resulting in '...now we've Nigel Adkins'... the Reds are going up...Allez, Allez, Allez...'

If the name 'Nigel' is deemed too offensive to sing, may I suggest a respectful alternative...

'...now we've Mister Adkins, the Reds are going up.'
    Sorry Sir, my dog ate my homework.

The 'Allez Allez Allez' song need not be ditched. Au contraire, we can now sing it correctly.

'...now we've got Lee Bowyer' was poor grammar as 'got' is superfluous. 'We have' is sufficient. 

However, as 'Nigel Adkins' has an extra syllable, '...we have Nigel Adkins' doesn't scan. Therefore, we contract 'we have' to 'we've', resulting in '...now we've Nigel Adkins'... the Reds are going up...Allez, Allez, Allez...'

If the name 'Nigel' is deemed too offensive to sing, may I suggest a respectful alternative...

Now we've got a Nigel...... ?

Nah, drop it anyway. It is absolutely awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:
    You can all relax.

The name is derived from the church Latin Nigellus. This Latin word would at first sight seem to derive from the classical Latin nigellus (meaning dark or somewhat black), which is derived from niger, meaning "black". However, this is now considered an example of an incorrect etymology created by French-speaking clerics, who knew Latin as well, to translate the Norman first name Neel in the Latin written documents. The Latin word nigellus gave birth to Old French neel (modern nielle), meaning “niello, black enamel” and it explains the confusion, because the clerics believed it was the same etymology as the first name Neel, spelled the same way.[4]

The Old Norman first name Neel (modern surname Néel) derives from the Norse Njáll. The Norse Njáll, in turn, is derived from the Gaelic Niall.[5][6]

Welcome, Neil Adkins.

Your two-and-a-half year contract tells me that (as predicted in this column) Sandgaard is attempting to realise his EuroCharlton dream in two parts.  Neil's brief is to get us out of League 1 and establish us as a Championship side within those 2+ years.

At that point, the contract is renewed and the push for the Premier League takes place, or a new (betterer) man is appointed.

Good strong name, that.
  • Happy with that. Bowyer saw the writing on the wall and took the first opportunity. This is a breath of fresh air and with Jackson staying I’m happy. Roll on Saturday 
  • thenewbie said:
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
    4 promotions says you're wrong there.
    Are promotions the same as promotes?
  • cazo said:
    NM18 said:
    Give the man a chance only been here for 7 hours let’s stick together 💪
    But if we lose to AFC on Saturday the gloves are off.

:smile:
  • edited March 2021
    cazo said:
    NM18 said:
    Give the man a chance only been here for 7 hours let’s stick together 💪
    But if we lose to AFC on Saturday the gloves are off.

:smile:
    He'd better not lose, only has 21-games to prove himself ;)
  • Just watched the interview: comes across as a genuinely lovely bloke, so positive and upbeat. That will rub off on the players - I can't ever envisage him throwing anyone under the bus or doing anything other than trying to get the best out of them through positive approaches. In my experience, the carrot works much better than the stick.

Also, when was the last time we appointed a manager because they had experience of being successful at what we are currently trying to achieve? He ticks that box.

Really pleased with this appointment. Not expecting instant success but how exciting is it to finally have a club that seems to be moving in the right direction across the board? Could be a brilliant few years + ahead.
    Top post. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck Adkins. Really hope we get the God worshipped in Southampton and not the'charlatan idiot' ridiculed in Sheffield.
  • Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
  • i must admit its very hard not to be impressed with the way he speaks, seems really on the ball and engaging. I’m 100% on board with his appointment and hope he manages as impressively as he speaks. Feels really optimistic and fresh actually quite excited to see how the last 10  games pan out now because I was flagging with it all to be honest. The thought of getting the custard out may become reality at last!!!!!👍😜🥣
  • paulfox said:
    i must admit its very hard not to be impressed with the way he speaks, seems really on the ball and engaging. I’m 100% on board with his appointment and hope he manages as impressively as he speaks. Feels really optimistic and fresh actually quite excited to see how the last 10  games pan out now because I was flagging with it all to be honest. The thought of getting the custard out may become reality at last!!!!!👍😜🥣
    Completely agree, a man manager who seems to know what's needed to get the best out of people and develop youth, I'd say we haven't had someone who can properly deal with our academy products for many years. 
  • Adkins contract until September 2023?.
    They said 2 and a half year deal but in football most contracts run to June 30th, so possibly 2 & a bit years. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    NM18 said:
    4 promotions says you're wrong there.
    Are promotions the same as promotes?
    Wouldn't know. Never had a promote. 
  • NM18 said:
    "Nice guys aren't winners" said every arsehole ever.

"Nice guys aren't winners"

Cringe material.

A winner is someone that has the ability to openly, honestly and confidently express themself. Ability to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Liars, actors, parasites. They are lifes true losers. 
  • edited March 2021
    NM18 said:
    "Nice guys aren't winners" said every arsehole ever.
    Not quite if you havent said it