Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• edited March 2021
    I think the important thing is that we don't judge him on our next result, or indeed the rest of this season. Things will change, and change takes time. If we struggle into the playoffs this year then great, but if not he gets a real transfer window to adjust (something which Bowyer never had). I think it may take Adkins the full 2.5 year tenure for us to see the full fruit of his labour's. It's no magic show with instant results. 
  • edited March 2021
    colthe3rd said:

At least the anoraks will keep us dry from the tears. 
    Yeah his pinned tweet says enough, doubt he could spell it let alone find it on a map. 

• If the name 'Nigel' is deemed too offensive to sing, may I suggest a respectful alternative...

'...now we've Mister Adkins, the Reds are going up.'
    I like that  ....... we call him Mister Adkins, and we don't have to call him Nigel.

Win-win. :smile:

• Welcome Mr Adkins.  He will draw better quality players in our club.  Well done TS and your team.  
  • Dave Rudd said:
    You can all relax.

The name is derived from the church Latin Nigellus. This Latin word would at first sight seem to derive from the classical Latin nigellus (meaning dark or somewhat black), which is derived from niger, meaning "black". However, this is now considered an example of an incorrect etymology created by French-speaking clerics, who knew Latin as well, to translate the Norman first name Neel in the Latin written documents. The Latin word nigellus gave birth to Old French neel (modern nielle), meaning “niello, black enamel” and it explains the confusion, because the clerics believed it was the same etymology as the first name Neel, spelled the same way.[4]

The Old Norman first name Neel (modern surname Néel) derives from the Norse Njáll. The Norse Njáll, in turn, is derived from the Gaelic Niall.[5][6]

Welcome, Neil Adkins.

Your two-and-a-half year contract tells me that (as predicted in this column) Sandgaard is attempting to realise his EuroCharlton dream in two parts.  Neil's brief is to get us out of League 1 and establish us as a Championship side within those 2+ years.

At that point, the contract is renewed and the push for the Premier League takes place, or a new (betterer) man is appointed.

I'm still going to call him Howard.
  • Apologies if this has already been covered...

The 'Allez Allez Allez' song need not be ditched. Au contraire, we can now sing it correctly.

'...now we've got Lee Bowyer' was poor grammar as 'got' is superfluous. 'We have' is sufficient. 

However, as 'Nigel Adkins' has an extra syllable, '...we have Nigel Adkins' doesn't scan. Therefore, we contract 'we have' to 'we've', resulting in '...now we've Nigel Adkins'... the Reds are going up...Allez, Allez, Allez...'

If the name 'Nigel' is deemed too offensive to sing, may I suggest a respectful alternative...

Howard works better.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    I have to be honest. I don’t trust such outward positivity in an obviously broken world. The man is hiding something and it will get old very quickly. I’m not ready to buy what Adkins is selling. #TeamJJ
    Mate cheer up 😁
  • Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
    "Nice guys aren't winners" said every arsehole ever.

"Nice guys aren't winners"

Cringe material.

A winner is someone that has the ability to openly, honestly and confidently express themself. Ability to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Liars, actors, parasites. They are lifes true losers. 
    Claudio Raneri won a premier league and he is quite easily one of the nicest guys in football.

I know Adkins has won things but cant hurt to have another example.
  • The best part about Nigel for me was the fact he wants players smiling, I think that will reflect on the pitch, players play better when they are enjoying themselves.
  • Wasn't that one of Karel Freye's famous comments - to smile more?
  • Wasn't that one of Karel Freye's famous comments - to smile more?
    Crums my cover has been blown
  • sm said:
    Apologies if this has already been covered...

The 'Allez Allez Allez' song need not be ditched. Au contraire, we can now sing it correctly.

'...now we've got Lee Bowyer' was poor grammar as 'got' is superfluous. 'We have' is sufficient. 

However, as 'Nigel Adkins' has an extra syllable, '...we have Nigel Adkins' doesn't scan. Therefore, we contract 'we have' to 'we've', resulting in '...now we've Nigel Adkins'... the Reds are going up...Allez, Allez, Allez...'

If the name 'Nigel' is deemed too offensive to sing, may I suggest a respectful alternative...

Howard works better.
    For those of us who remember the war, I prefer Tommy Atkins.
  • Good Luck Nigel I am certain that with TS behind you and Johnnie Jackson you will rise to greater things in this wonderful clubs history 👍👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021

Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:

Cringe material.

A winner is someone that has the ability to openly, honestly and confidently express themself. Ability to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Claudio Raneri won a premier league and he is quite easily one of the nicest guys in football.

Rainieri 'won'  Premier League with 100% Pearson team and even his assistant manager. Ranieri just a caretaker boss and then when he got to put his mark on the team it went wrong
  • NM18 said:
    king addick said: Rainieri 'won'  Premier League with 100% Pearson team and even his assistant manager. Ranieri just a caretaker boss and then when he got to put his mark on the team it went wrong.
    Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:

Cringe material.

But Pearson didnt win it did he? Ranieri took them to the next level based on how you view things.
  • sm said:
    Apologies if this has already been covered...

Howard works better.
    For those of us who remember the war, our average age was 19

• Really hope the new gaffer drops one of these with Minto and Curbs on Valley Pass:

Mr Adkins' favourite poem, the guy in the glass, his version slightly different to the original-
    https://www.theguyintheglass.com/gig.htm

See also
    https://www.theguyintheglass.com/index.htm
  • NM18 said:

Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:

Cringe material.

Rainieri 'won'  Premier League with 100% Pearson team and even his assistant manager. Ranieri just a caretaker boss and then when he got to put his mark on the team it went wrong

Well perhaps this "nice guy" is about to get promoted with a 100% Bowyer team and even his assistant manager.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    Is that the Roddy who worked and Reading in 2018 and the Adkins that left in 2014?  Or a different pair? 
    Yep - fair enough - that’s my mistake.

But sorry, there has to be a link somewhere because someone two years out of the game and three failures in a row behind them doesn’t just get appointed 48 hours after the last manager walks.

This didn’t just happen this week.
    The way him and Olly kept saying this has been a whirlwind week and happened quickly, makes it sound like not as pre-planned as you think. 
    Yeah it sounded like he was on Sandgaard's list but maybe only contacted this week. 
    I'm not so sure. Olly says about it being a whirlwind week, Adkins agrees it's been a whirlwind but doesn't actually say when he spoke to Sandgaard. I still suspect initial contact was made earlier than this week. Probably only finalised once Bow resigned.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Bows had been saying to TS for a few weeks that he was on the verge of resigning, as no matter what he tried he couldn’t get the performances he expected - I imagine TS would have said, don’t worry, it takes time to get where we want - but having picked up on Bows ‘vibe’ and also his Valley Pass post match interviews, TS decided he needed to have a back up if Bows did resign
    It's what any decent owner would do, even in the good times do your research as you never know what's around the corner. Not the exciting appointment that some were looking for but good solid experience at this level with three promotions plus managing in the top two divisions. I think he's a great appointment & possibly the best we could have hoped for. Far too early for JJ imo but great to have him around the players who all seem to love him. Would still like a defensive coach to come in. Step by step TS is building  :D  
    Could that be Steve Brown
    Certainly talks a lot of sense & as an ex Premier defender we could do worse. Certainly something has to happen.