Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• SE7toSG3 said:
    From my Southampton mate who is happy for me to share

I had no idea Adkins takes the Johnstone Paint Trophy seriously. Now I’m worried 😉
    I’m shit scared now , we need promotion more than ever this season , with the threat of doing well in the shithouse papa Johnny trophy embarrassing shit wank third/fourth tier crap (yes , I’ll be at the final next year )
  • Nothing is guaranteed in football what ever managerial decisions are made, it took us 3 seasons to get out of League 1 with a crap owner it could take more than that with a decent owner. Many big clubs have struggled to get out of it.
    I will take all these 5 year plans for Premier League and European football with a big pinch of salt.
    If we are a stable Championship club in 5 years time playing good football to a decent crowd and with minimal financial losses I will settle for that.
  • Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Must be exhausting to want to be pissed off all the time. 
    Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

Love him to prove me wrong and I will eat the humble pie with relish.

Post a bunch of negative posturing unrealistic prattle and then finish with the old and extremely boring humble pie routine. What a great post. Gag.
  • NM18 said:

Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
    "Nice guys aren't winners" said every arsehole ever.

"Nice guys aren't winners"

Cringe material.

A winner is someone that has the ability to openly, honestly and confidently express themself. Ability to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Liars, actors, parasites. They are lifes true losers. 
    Claudio Raneri won a premier league and he is quite easily one of the nicest guys in football.

I know Adkins has won things but cant hurt to have another example.

Rainieri 'won'  Premier League with 100% Pearson team and even his assistant manager. Ranieri just a caretaker boss and then when he got to put his mark on the team it went wrong
    Wow! The most fickle post I have read on here in a long time!!
  • Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

So again, who would you have preferred?
  • Loves a 4-2-3-1, does Adkins, according to some Reading fans.  Style is invariably direct.  
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc_se7 said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

So again, who would you have preferred?

Snipers don't have solutions.
  • Croydon said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    Your post is fair, however, I would look towards his spell at Southampton and his ability to get teams promoted, particularly at this level.
    As for what he can do in the Championship let's see when/if we get there.
  • Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:

Cringe material.

A winner is someone that has the ability to openly, honestly and confidently express themself. Ability to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Liars, actors, parasites. They are lifes true losers
    ....and Estate Agents!! 
    Not forgetting recruitment agents and insurance.
  • I would say that being out of the game for 18 months is nothing, considering half the world has been in lockdown for a year!
    I doubt the world of football has progressed even one inch during that time, on the contrary, it's probably gone backwards.
    That's why I would of been happy with Curbs returning. Intelligent people adapt. Whether that's football or in any other walk of life.
    Something like Brain Surgery, then sure, good eyesight is vitally important, but not football!
    It may have taken Curbs a month or so to get back into the swing of things, during which time he could have called more on Jacko and his backroom staff to help him out.
    But Adkins should need no such time to adapt as I doubt football has changed one iota in the time he's been out. The fact that he's refreshed, hungry and ambitious, may even work in our favour.
  • Justafan said:
    People banging on about TS should have kept Johnny Jackson with an experienced man beside him, basically for me that’s what he’s done so happy days from me👍
    Spot on. Someone with more experience than JJ (zero manager experience) would only take the manager role, and not play second fiddle.  
  • edited March 2021
    I’m not saying this to have a dig or anything, because now he’s here and it’s official, I want to back him and give him my support, but just out of interest why did / has he taken a break from the game recently, health issues / family loss?
  • Adkins weren't my first choice and as people have said has he still got it.

But I'll be backing him 100% and with Jackson as assistant we've done well there.

Wilder and Howe was very unlikely to happen. If we were in the Championship then I think we could get them, but in league one that would take some real convincing and what's to say we didn't enquire?

Yes for League 1 we are a big club and we could have gone to another team in this league and convince them to come to us or but that's unlikely to happen at this point in the season. One of my choices was Ainsworth who I think would have been very get able, but that would be more likely to happen in the summer.

The three realistic options then were.

A European Manager
    Jacko or Curbs duo
    Cowley

One of those is staying as assistant, so if the others is what we're missing out on then I'm fine with that for the time being.

A European manager I would happily take as long as they are deemed to be good enough before bringing them in and not like Roland just hiring who he knows. I also wonder whether TS and Roddy have done their homework and realised how badly getting in managers with no English football experience went down in the past here and know that for the first appointment they need to get most on side as part of it.

Cowley is a funny one. Personally if he came here I would be fairly happy and he was one of my choices. But there seemed to be more people against it than for it and it does make you wonder why Pompey are only planning on getting him short term similar to Huddersfield. A few on here spoke about something wrong with character that could be part of these short contracts and making heavy demands possibly. 

But anyway onwards and upwards UTA! 
  • I’m not saying this to have a dig or anything, because now he’s here and it’s official, I want to back him and give him my support, but just out of interest why did / has he taken a break from the game recently, health issues / family loss?
    He said he was offered jobs but they weren’t right for him. Was hoping for a championship club, and didn’t really want to leave Hull.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the true measure of Adkins will emerge after the close season, regardless of what league we find ourselves in. 

In recent years we seem to have been in a constant muddle over squad members, contracts, late acquisitions, set ups and how to play with the personnel we've gained or more accurately been left with.

I'm hoping with Sangaard's backing it'll be different this year.  Get some decent players in early, get some stability, do a proper pre season and be ready to go on the b of bang next season.  If all theses ingredients are in place what could possibly go wrong?      
  • Bit surprised we weren’t in for Pep being completely honest.
    He was interviewed I’m told
    I wonder if we did 500 interviews in 10m like we did under Katie.
  • mascot88 said:
    Cor Blimey, Ormiston Really doesn't like this guy, and hey that's his opinion and he's perfectly entitled to it. 

Personally, I am warming to the idea, I am a glass-half-full kind of guy, as a Charlton support for over 30 years now, you have to be. 

He is the first manager we have had since Pardew that has had Premier League experience, and has achieved promotion from the Championship, and has achieved several promotions from League One. 

I can see @Ormiston_Addick's point around style of play and club DNA, talking about Palace and Millwall and Us, and certainly, that has some validity. 

I think that maybe when we went down that route, post Curbs, we may have made a mistake, I am not looking to open that conversation up again, however at that point we were a major global draw, everyone knew us, we had money, solid premier league outfit and maybe we set our sights to low. 

The dream scenario is "one of our own" and seeing Powell go was dreadful and seeing Bowyer lose the dressing room and become pure aggression, was also awful. The way we started that Championship season I always thought Bowyer, with some money and decent spine of team, would scare the Championship, but the timing was wrong and we move on. 

Timing is everything in most aspects of life, and TS is a smart guy and sorry to admit it so is Simon Jordan (Puke) when he talks of NA's ability to manage up, so vital in today's environment. 

I almost like that fact that NA is going to HAVE to win me and most of us over, as we've seen with Pardew if it starts off with a fiery love affair it often doesn't take that much for the flame to go out. 

It's going to be an interesting next chapter. 

The problem is, since SCP's post-promotion year, we've been drinking from the top, empty half of the glass most of the time.
  • NM18 said:

Dave2l said:
    NM18 said:

Cringe material.

Liars, actors, parasites. They are lifes true losers. 
    Claudio Raneri won a premier league and he is quite easily one of the nicest guys in football.

I know Adkins has won things but cant hurt to have another example.

Rainieri 'won'  Premier League with 100% Pearson team and even his assistant manager. Ranieri just a caretaker boss and then when he got to put his mark on the team it went wrong

Well perhaps this "nice guy" is about to get promoted with a 100% Bowyer team and even his assistant manager.
    But Pearson finished 17th not 1st
  • edited March 2021
    Beginning to think that Thomas is incapable of doing anything wrong.I guarantee that keeping JJ was a part of the deal with 
    Adkins,he obviously saw the respect the players had for JJ and how popular he is.
    Or maybe it was because Adkin's assistant at his previous 4 clubs joined Port Vale last week?
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-crosby-vale-sheffield-united-5106853
    Who knows,but I would prefer my version.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

This one wasn't aimed at you mate. I disagree with you, but I don't think you're being negative for negative's sake.

Just think there is plenty of that in the fanbase atm, on here, twitter and the FB groups. It's a Ged Ruddy inside job, or because Sandgaard mentioned the academy it means he's broke etc. There's just negative theories being thrown out with zero basis, because people have had all the optimism beaten out of them.

I am curious though, who did you want us to appoint? And what were your reasons?
    Our recent history proves that our best appointments are people who know the club properly: Curbishley, Powell, Bowyer.

The only failure was Pardew and even he did OK in the Premier League and he started off OK in the Championship until we sold Reid.

None of our external appointments have worked - not a single one of them from Dowie to Robinson.

That being the case I'd have gone for Jackson with someone more experienced as his assistant.

I'd love to be proved wrong but our successes have always been built on a mixture of academy players mixed with good, solid honest professionals with a fire in their belly.

In my view every club has a special culture and they do best when they stick to it, our culture is that of a club that brings through top young players and blends them with good players on their way up and we generally play good football and play the game the right way and our people understand this.

A good example of this is Palace who we may all hate with a passion but have done very well over the last thirty years since Wright and Bright were tearing the place up and Palace have always done well when they have played direct, aggressive football with plenty of pace up front.

It was no surprise at all that they bombed under Frank De Boer when he suddenly tried to turn them into Barcelona.

It's the same story at Millwall, as much as we hate them they do well when they stick to their core culture of playing long ball football with a big lump up top and playing with plenty of mongrel that gets their fans going and puts the opposition under the pump.

Whenever they struggle it's usually because they have strayed away from that - like they did under Spackman and Holloway - and they bring back someone like Harris to put them back on course.

Maybe Adkins can come in and find the right ingredients for us, I absolutely pray that he does and everything I have read suggests he is a really decent and intelligent man but make no mistake about it he is under pressure to deliver next season.

Mr. Sangaard can talk as much as he likes about long-term projects but the only long term project in football is the next match and if we are mid table in League One this time next year with no prospect of promotion then the storm clouds will be gathering.
    Pardew was terrible for us full stop, not even a debate.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

This one wasn't aimed at you mate. I disagree with you, but I don't think you're being negative for negative's sake.

Just think there is plenty of that in the fanbase atm, on here, twitter and the FB groups. It's a Ged Ruddy inside job, or because Sandgaard mentioned the academy it means he's broke etc. There's just negative theories being thrown out with zero basis, because people have had all the optimism beaten out of them.

I am curious though, who did you want us to appoint? And what were your reasons?
    Our recent history proves that our best appointments are people who know the club properly: Curbishley, Powell, Bowyer.

The only failure was Pardew and even he did OK in the Premier League and he started off OK in the Championship until we sold Reid.

None of our external appointments have worked - not a single one of them from Dowie to Robinson.

That being the case I'd have gone for Jackson with someone more experienced as his assistant.

I'd love to be proved wrong but our successes have always been built on a mixture of academy players mixed with good, solid honest professionals with a fire in their belly.

In my view every club has a special culture and they do best when they stick to it, our culture is that of a club that brings through top young players and blends them with good players on their way up and we generally play good football and play the game the right way and our people understand this.

A good example of this is Palace who we may all hate with a passion but have done very well over the last thirty years since Wright and Bright were tearing the place up and Palace have always done well when they have played direct, aggressive football with plenty of pace up front.

It was no surprise at all that they bombed under Frank De Boer when he suddenly tried to turn them into Barcelona.

It's the same story at Millwall, as much as we hate them they do well when they stick to their core culture of playing long ball football with a big lump up top and playing with plenty of mongrel that gets their fans going and puts the opposition under the pump.

Whenever they struggle it's usually because they have strayed away from that - like they did under Spackman and Holloway - and they bring back someone like Harris to put them back on course.

Maybe Adkins can come in and find the right ingredients for us, I absolutely pray that he does and everything I have read suggests he is a really decent and intelligent man but make no mistake about it he is under pressure to deliver next season.

Mr. Sangaard can talk as much as he likes about long-term projects but the only long term project in football is the next match and if we are mid table in League One this time next year with no prospect of promotion then the storm clouds will be gathering.

You are scornful of Adkins despite, among other things, his impeccable pedigree in the league we are in, based mainly on his successes not being recent enough for you- in favour of Jackson who has not won anything, anywhere, ever, but "knows the club properly". Righto
  • Why are people still going on about JJ .... he ruled himself out admitted himself it was to early 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

You are scornful of Adkins despite, among other things, his impeccable pedigree in the league we are in, based mainly on his successes not being recent enough for you- in favour of Jackson who has not won anything, anywhere, ever, but "knows the club properly". Righto
    He’s just not happy that large had his pants down  ;)
  • A key point that I picked up on during the interviews with both Adkins and TS is the development of the youngsters and giving them a chance to progress. 

I feel that Bowyer didn’t buy into this during his time with us, preferring to bring in older, more experienced players over promoting the youth to the first team. 

League 1 is the ideal division to be blooding youngsters if you have a manager who is brave enough to give them a go. Hopefully Adkins will have more confidence in using the younger players who prove that they are ready to step up.