Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Must be exhausting to want to be pissed off all the time. 
    Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

Love him to prove me wrong and I will eat the humble pie with relish.
    This one wasn't aimed at you mate. I disagree with you, but I don't think you're being negative for negative's sake.

Just think there is plenty of that in the fanbase atm, on here, twitter and the FB groups. It's a Ged Ruddy inside job, or because Sandgaard mentioned the academy it means he's broke etc. There's just negative theories being thrown out with zero basis, because people have had all the optimism beaten out of them.

I am curious though, who did you want us to appoint? And what were your reasons?
    Our recent history proves that our best appointments are people who know the club properly: Curbishley, Powell, Bowyer.

The only failure was Pardew and even he did OK in the Premier League and he started off OK in the Championship until we sold Reid.

None of our external appointments have worked - not a single one of them from Dowie to Robinson.

That being the case I'd have gone for Jackson with someone more experienced as his assistant.

I'd love to be proved wrong but our successes have always been built on a mixture of academy players mixed with good, solid honest professionals with a fire in their belly.

In my view every club has a special culture and they do best when they stick to it, our culture is that of a club that brings through top young players and blends them with good players on their way up and we generally play good football and play the game the right way and our people understand this.

A good example of this is Palace who we may all hate with a passion but have done very well over the last thirty years since Wright and Bright were tearing the place up and Palace have always done well when they have played direct, aggressive football with plenty of pace up front.

It was no surprise at all that they bombed under Frank De Boer when he suddenly tried to turn them into Barcelona.

It's the same story at Millwall, as much as we hate them they do well when they stick to their core culture of playing long ball football with a big lump up top and playing with plenty of mongrel that gets their fans going and puts the opposition under the pump.

Whenever they struggle it's usually because they have strayed away from that - like they did under Spackman and Holloway - and they bring back someone like Harris to put them back on course.

Maybe Adkins can come in and find the right ingredients for us, I absolutely pray that he does and everything I have read suggests he is a really decent and intelligent man but make no mistake about it he is under pressure to deliver next season.

Mr. Sangaard can talk as much as he likes about long-term projects but the only long term project in football is the next match and if we are mid table in League One this time next year with no prospect of promotion then the storm clouds will be gathering.

You are scornful of Adkins despite, among other things, his impeccable pedigree in the league we are in, based mainly on his successes not being recent enough for you- in favour of Jackson who has not won anything, anywhere, ever, but "knows the club properly". Righto
    He’s just not happy that large had his pants down  ;)

• cafc_se7 said:
    Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

So again, who would you have preferred?
         This original post is absolute garbage 
          Typical “ let’s condemn the new manager before 
           His first game “ etc etc etc 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • I didn't do somersaults at the news but I'm glad we've got a manager with experience, who goes for attractive football, promotes youth and knows how to get promoted. 

It's simple, but a couple of wins will change a few moaners minds.
  • Why are people still going on about JJ .... he ruled himself out admitted himself it was to early 
    Did he? Link please 
  • A key point that I picked up on during the interviews with both Adkins and TS is the development of the youngsters and giving them a chance to progress. 

I feel that Bowyer didn’t buy into this during his time with us, preferring to bring in older, more experienced players over promoting the youth to the first team. 

League 1 is the ideal division to be blooding youngsters if you have a manager who is brave enough to give them a go. Hopefully Adkins will have more confidence in using the younger players who prove that they are ready to step up. 
    We blood every other teams fkin youngsters and bar Gallagher I think we have better than what's come in from prem teams the past 18months
  • Very impressed with Adkins' press conference. Articulate, confident and obviously excited about the future. 100 per cent behind him - as I would be with any new manager - and looking forward to a new era in the history of a great club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Champs85 said:
    I can’t find it now but I saw a quote earlier from Adkins about letting the youngsters play regularly and accept they will make mistakes. I’m almost certain this was a subtle dig towards Bowyer about Morgan and I’m quite pleased. The boy needs to play regularly 
    I really don't think it was. Adkins has always played youngsters and he said that in the context of speaking with Euell about the u23s and trying to get across that he was open to using the young players without heaping pressure on them to always deliver. He also said that Gunter is the only player he knows so I don't think he'd seen us play one game (that Albie played) on a stream, identified that Albie has been in and out of the team and used his new manager interview time to have a dig at a former manager who he doesn't even know. I think you might be seeing what you want to see there

• Rest of this season is a free hit really, I don't expect us to get in the playoffs and with LB still in charge I'm fairly confident we wouldn't have. If NA can sneak 6th then fantastic, if not then at least he has had a chance to assess the squad a build the side towards a strong promotion push next season.
    Exactly this and his contract length also confirms this is Sandgaard's feelings. No promotion this year then it's all or nothing for Adkins next year. 
  • 1968CAFC said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

So again, who would you have preferred?
         This original post is absolute garbage 
          Typical “ let’s condemn the new manager before 
           His first game “ etc etc etc 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Exactly let’s at least give him until half time tomorrow.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    He took a side battling relegation and got them safe, in the following season he achieved 13th. 

If he had stayed another season with that kind of progression he'd have likely been competing for the play offs.
    As an example, Hull got extremely close to the Play-Offs last season before they sold Bowen and Grosicki so Adkins had definitely created the groundwork for McCann to come in and improve them. 
  • Lennie Lawrence wasn't a Charlton man, Les Reed was.

Can spin the rhetoric. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m warming to Adkins but from now on I shall be calling him Dave. This is a strategic move by Thomas. Obviously thinks he’s the best man available to get us through the next few years and when he’s done his job, Jacko will be ready to take the reins. Building from within. It’s what all good businesses do. The future is bright, the future is 🔴 and ⚪️
  • Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anybody know if Adkins is the first goalkeeper to ever manage us?
  • Croydon said:
    Lennie Lawrence wasn't a Charlton man, Les Reed was.

Can spin the rhetoric. 
    Lennie Lawrence was already at the club as Reserve Team Manager before being made Caretaker (then permanent) so he did have a Charlton connection 
  • Only time will tell if this is a good appointment but who would have thought that we would have our very own "Nigel" in charge.
  • 1968CAFC said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    Read what was said about his sacking at Southampton and he refused a new contract at Hull. He was doing okay at Reading. 18 months is not that long so I doubt he has forgotten what the game is about. 
        As always there are people on this forum 
        Who are nice people I am certain and are entitled   
        To their opinions.
         But that does not mean they are right all the time
        And many talk utter Bollocks.
        I hope Nigel does a good job, I wish him well and
        I will not slag him off after 5 games if we have not
        Won every game.
        Bowyer was a great guy and I think he will do well
        At Birmingham if he is let do this thing.
        He left us because of money and better financial   
        Possibilities and opportunity in his eyes.
        If you want Loyalty to Charlton JJ at number two
        Is the man and I think Nigel and Johnnie will do a 
        Good job If given time and patience 👍👍

That's a crap poem mate, it don't even rhyme.

That proper tickled me that, thanks 🙏🏻
  • Watched the interview last night and was very impressed. Seems really happy to be here and said all the right things.
  • I binned my season ticket renewal when Russell Slade took over, just out of interest how were things with Russell at the wheel , and how does NA compare?