Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• I think we as fans need to take this opportunity to wipe the slate clean with the likes of Gilbey, Watson, Gunter etc. You could see completely different players under NA now! I include myself in that! 
  • I've just watched the TS/NA press conference and what a 'lift' it has given me, after finding out yesterday that I'm going to be made redundant in the next few months as Brexit and Covid have fucked up the Uni I work at. I'm 66 next week with a dodgy ticker and last night I was very down, but NA is so positive it 'pepped' me up.
    I think he definitely is the right man at the right time and exciting times ahead beckon. Welcome Nigel and well done to Thomas/Roddy for what I think will be a great appointment. Keeping JJ is another top hat decision. Now onto Plough Lane and 3 points please, that would help make my weekend better.

Wishing you all the best RM.
    As you say N.A will be a refreshing change. A man that lives and breathes positivity.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    I think we as fans need to take this opportunity to wipe the slate clean with the likes of Gilbey, Watson, Gunter etc. You could see completely different players under NA now! I include myself in that! 
    Especially as those 3 are under contract for next year. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    I think we as fans need to take this opportunity to wipe the slate clean with the likes of Gilbey, Watson, Gunter etc. You could see completely different players under NA now! I include myself in that! 
    Is Watson yet? I thought there was an option to trigger an extra year?
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anybody know if Adkins is the first goalkeeper to ever manage us?
     Steve Gritt was the first I believe
    Gritty wasn't a goalkeeper. He used to occasionally do a 'Brownie' and go in goal if needed. ;)
  • edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Is Watson yet? I thought there was an option to trigger an extra year?
    Well reading between the lines it appears he has triggered it. 
  • Right here's one for you. To what extent do fans get affected by the new manager bounce? Lots of people on here finding lots of reasons to be positive. Weren't we all the same when Bob Peeters joined? Never heard of him but look at x, y and z to try to convince ourselves he is a good appointment?

I'm not saying that Adkins isn't the right choice, by the way, but I do somehow have this feeling that if at the end of his contract we are still in League One and he gets the boot, I will look back and not be surprised. The football league is littered with clubs who employ the same old names expecting to find the magic formula but rarely do.
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anybody know if Adkins is the first goalkeeper to ever manage us?
    Gritty wasn't a goalkeeper. He used to occasionally do a 'Brownie' and go in goal if needed. ;)
    He was a very good goalkeeper. He had to have good hands given that he played county 2nd X1 cricket for Hants. The only reason he didn't get picked more was because he failed the Charlton height test.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Albert Lindon was our player / manager in the 1920's.
  • Right here's one for you. To what extent do fans get affected by the new manager bounce? Lots of people on here finding lots of reasons to be positive. Weren't we all the same when Bob Peeters joined? Never heard of him but look at x, y and z to try to convince ourselves he is a good appointment?

I'm not saying that Adkins isn't the right choice, by the way, but I do somehow have this feeling that if at the end of his contract we are still in League One and he gets the boot, I will look back and not be surprised. The football league is littered with clubs who employ the same old names expecting to find the magic formula but rarely do.
    I'm pretty confident that with Sandgaard backing him in the summer next season will be our last in this shitty league. 
  • Richard J said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Albert Lindon was our player / manager in the 1920's.
    Thanks and good work. I probably should have said "in my time" but glad I hedged my bets with the "I believe" nevertheless.

• CH4RLTON said:
    Didn’t Kevin Day manage us for a game or two once upon a time?
  • Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Must be exhausting to want to be pissed off all the time. 

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

Sometimes, Ormy ....... you just have to give a new man a chance.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I binned my season ticket renewal when Russell Slade took over, just out of interest how were things with Russell at the wheel , and how does NA compare?
    Slade zero promotions Adkins four promotions.

Will that do? 
    Thanks for that, I don’t know why his name came to mind, but was the footie pretty dire to watch under Slade?

I'm pretty confident that with Sandgaard backing him in the summer next season will be our last in this shitty league. 
    I agree but it's not just about going up or not going up is it? 

Obviously we could still go up this season but if we finished 4th next season playing attacking football, with a core of younger players, who were actually improving and were on proper contracts I would expect most people would take that?

I think it was the Fleetwood game, although it could be other/s, when we didn't have a single player on the pitch that was under 30 and under contract for next season.

I know that's not just down to Bowyer and Gallen but it's a situation that needs addressing ASAP. 
  • alicwkd said:
    Exciting times. Nigel should have had his first dump as Charlton manager by now. 
    Probably reading Charlton life!
  • Sponsored links:

• For what it's worth I still don't believe we'll gain promotion this year UNLESS we get some real luck in results vs teams below us and we can have a central unit of a fit Innis/Famewo. But the chances of them both being fit, up to speed and ready for 10-13 games is highly unlikely. 

That said, I'm still really excited to see the rebuild and who Adkins wants to bring in for next season. Even if we don't go up next year, I'd hope to see a real base of good players who put us there or there abouts. 
  • alicwkd said:
    Exciting times. Nigel should have had his first dump as Charlton manager by now. 
    Probably reading Charlton life!
    If you're not reading Charlton Life are you even really having a dump?
  • Justafan said:
    People banging on about TS should have kept Johnny Jackson with an experienced man beside him, basically for me that’s what he’s done so happy days from me👍

Yeh that's my feeling too.
  • DA9 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Didn’t Kevin Day manage us for a game or two once upon a time?
    What, the palarse supporting comedian?
    Lol! Keith Day I meant 
  • I enjoyed the Adkins interview on Valley Pass.

Does anyone have a link to Bowyer's equivalent on St Andrews Pass?

I was wondering what Lee's 'eefoss' might be? 
  • Adkins' interview won me round so so quickly, I was really underwhelmed when it was announced but he quickly nipped that in the bud. Welcome Nigel!
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I enjoyed the Adkins interview on Valley Pass.

Listening to him call them 'Burminum' must piss their supporters off  :D
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I enjoyed the Adkins interview on Valley Pass.

Listening to him call them 'Burminum' must piss their supporters off  :D
    https://youtu.be/nLUffitPPT0