Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Late to share my thoughts but absolutely delighted with his appointment, more or less echo what has been said.

What a charismatic, charming fella. Not to have a snipe at Lee but energy is crucial to success in life, who do you see yourself listening to more out of the two? Based on my personality I would run through walls for a character like Adkins, very respectful bloke who clearly has a bit of wisdom about him.

Can't wait for next season now, irrespective of which league, got an extremely good feeling about this setup
  • 995632 said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    I simply can't  agree with this...he didn't fail at Hill or Reading . Sheffield United were a mess when he arrived so I will have to look at that.

Give him a chance. It is so depressing given the no sense Bowyer served up in the last 6 months on and off the pitch.
    Sheffield United were in with a shot of the playoffs until a loss to Coventry on the penultimate weekend of the season. Last game loss to Scunthorpe meant they dropped to 11th.
    So he wasn't really a failure there then?
    Guess a bit like us; we don't make the playoffs it looks bad (possible lowest ever finish etc.), but there's more to it than what the history books say. 

Think with Sheffield United it also didn't help that because we faffed around, they nicked Wilder off us and then had all the success they did.

People saying that Reading and Hull were straight failures don't understand the ownership issues and what the owners did, that's largely why he is held in such high esteem by most of the fans of his previous clubs.

Most people looking in would say Bowyer failed this year, but wouldn't know about ESI/ESI 2/the court cases, the embargo, the wage cap, having to buy from the discount section etc. They also wouldn't know about him throwing players under the bus, negative tactics and square pegs in round holes. 
  • You been drinking son? 
  • Bit weird to see that face on VP but sure why not lol
    Ok turns out there are plenty of reasons why not....
  • Wasn't there a rumour that he had a bust up with a player. I think Jason Puncheon? Which is why Southampton got rid of him. Or maybe that was Southampton making that up. I remember hearing something about that at the time, but I might be wrong. 
  • UEAAddick said:
    Wasn't there a rumour that he had a bust up with a player. I think Jason Puncheon? Which is why Southampton got rid of him. Or maybe that was Southampton making that up. I remember hearing something about that at the time, but I might be wrong. 
    I think that was Pardew not Adkins.
  • Sponsored links:

• UEAAddick said:
    Wasn't there a rumour that he had a bust up with a player. I think Jason Puncheon? Which is why Southampton got rid of him. Or maybe that was Southampton making that up. I remember hearing something about that at the time, but I might be wrong. 
    Also think Puncheon had an issue with the Southampton chairman rather than Adkins.
  • UEAAddick said:
    Also think Puncheon had an issue with the Southampton chairman rather than Adkins.
    Oh fair enough, thats probably more likely. I do remember hearing it at the time and I did think it was very weird when they sacked him and that could be the only logical reason.

But Adkins also doesn't seem like the type for that to happen with and Pardew and there chairman does.

I've head their chairman or Ceo or whatever it was at the time was very difficuilt to work with. 
  • aliwibble said:
    I've just watched the TS/NA press conference and what a 'lift' it has given me, after finding out yesterday that I'm going to be made redundant in the next few months as Brexit and Covid have fucked up the Uni I work at. I'm 66 next week with a dodgy ticker and last night I was very down, but NA is so positive it 'pepped' me up.
    I think he definitely is the right man at the right time and exciting times ahead beckon. Welcome Nigel and well done to Thomas/Roddy for what I think will be a great appointment. Keeping JJ is another top hat decision. Now onto Plough Lane and 3 points please, that would help make my weekend better.
    Sorry to hear that RM. Could they not offer you early retirement instead, or would that knock your pension down to much to be viable?
    Hi @aliwibble, sadly I have a mortgage still to pay for a few more years (I took one out late in life) and the plan was my pension lump sum would help out with other 'expenses'. My options are limited, but what doesn't help is my ticker is not great at the moment and I'm on new medication to try and improve things. I have a few weeks to consider options, but thanks for asking. Now a win tomorrow would be just the ticket!!
    Wishing you well @Redmidland
  • UEAAddick said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Oh fair enough, thats probably more likely. I do remember hearing it at the time and I did think it was very weird when they sacked him and that could be the only logical reason.

But Adkins also doesn't seem like the type for that to happen with and Pardew and there chairman does.

I've head their chairman or Ceo or whatever it was at the time was very difficuilt to work with. 
    I think Adkins has had this a lot of the places he's been.

At Reading the owner told him that they were going into admin and he would have to play the youth for a season. At Hull the owner told him he was looking to sell, reduced his wage and his budget which was behind him leaving. I imagine we'll get the best out of him without those kind of issues present.
    I think the guy at Southampton was just a bit of a control freak from what I've heard, although they were and are well run. 

Which makes me think he was probably waiting for the right job to make sure he wasn't working under problem boards again.
  • MattF said:
    What a great picture.  Definitely deliberate from the club to get the message across 
    Think they are watching the players shooting practice  ;)
  • NARAWA
    Pardon you  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• That Duck probably mugs him just after the recording

Look at him, just sitting in the background waiting for the right moment 
  • Where does Nigel live? Presumably he won't be that local 
  • edited March 2021
    Where does Nigel live? Presumably he won't be that local 
    What makes you say that? Because it looks nice? I’m with you.  The club offered him a choice, woolwich or sellafield. He chose sellafield. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    MattF said:
    I know people will say 'it doesn't win you things' and all that, and I am not saying that it is the be all and end all. But it is genuinely nice to be owned and managed by two really nice people. Makes such a refreshing change from the last 7 years where (particularly on the ownership front) they were just utter knobs.
    Do you know what our Henry will say?

"Just win games."  :smile:

• RC_CAFC said:
    MattF said:
    I know people will say 'it doesn't win you things' and all that, and I am not saying that it is the be all and end all. But it is genuinely nice to be owned and managed by two really nice people. Makes such a refreshing change from the last 7 years where (particularly on the ownership front) they were just utter knobs.
    Agreed. The players will respond better than they did by being called a C&nt every week as well I should imagine.