Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• DA9 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anybody know if Adkins is the first goalkeeper to ever manage us?
    Didn’t Kevin Day manage us for a game or two once upon a time?
    What, the palarse supporting comedian?
    Lol! Keith Day I meant 
    Not Mervyn then?
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere......is Gallen also being retained?
    Just realised.....he’s a director.
    Doh!
  • not updated his website yet, very poor, not as if he's got anything else to do ...
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
    4 promotions says you're wrong there.
    Are promotions the same as promotes?
    No. To get promotion you have to reach an objective clearly stipulated in the rules.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    I enjoyed the Adkins interview on Valley Pass.

Does anyone have a link to Bowyer's equivalent on St Andrews Pass?

I was wondering what Lee's 'eefoss' might be? 
    Listening to him call them 'Burminum' must piss their supporters off  :D
    https://youtu.be/nLUffitPPT0
    Nice work, Lee.

I was especially pleased that the term 'the most important fing' was applied to several, different ... err ... well ... fings. 
  • Dave Rudd said:

Listening to him call them 'Burminum' must piss their supporters off  :D
    Yeah, everybody knows it should be pronounced Brummagem, Harry Enfield style ....... "Oim considerrrablee rrricherrrr than yow". Or something like that.

• Interesting that TS was talking about a depth chart.

It's something I've used in training and development at work when planning succession and development for leaders but didn't realise it is used by US sports team.

It's a good way to show visually what skills and what the back up and gaps are and I guess that at a "soccer" club you would include, for example Amos then AMB and then the other academy keepers, their strengths and some % of how ready they are for the next level. So AMB might be 90% ready and Harkness, who's been on the bench a few times maybe 60% ready (my guesses not actual figures). From that the club would plan its recruitment ie do we need more back up for Amos or for AMB.  Can Harkness be released/loaned out because with have Beadle in the U18s etc?

Like most "management tools" (sic) it's really just formalising something you could just articulate verbally ("Amos isn't good enough we need a new keeper, is AMB ready?") but this gives it more structure and helps longer term planning.

Given that TS is using them for the manager's role I wonder if he is doing it, or perhaps Roddy, Avory, Euell and Gallen and now Adkins will do it for the professional players?  And all the coaches?

And is he doing it for the Valley staff.  Who could replace the COO if they left, for example?
    Quick, get your CV up to date... 
  • _MrDick said:
    Interesting that TS was talking about a depth chart.

It's something I've used in training and development at work when planning succession and development for leaders but didn't realise it is used by US sports team.

It's a good way to show visually what skills and what the back up and gaps are and I guess that at a "soccer" club you would include, for example Amos then AMB and then the other academy keepers, their strengths and some % of how ready they are for the next level. So AMB might be 90% ready and Harkness, who's been on the bench a few times maybe 60% ready (my guesses not actual figures). From that the club would plan its recruitment ie do we need more back up for Amos or for AMB.  Can Harkness be released/loaned out because with have Beadle in the U18s etc?

Like most "management tools" (sic) it's really just formalising something you could just articulate verbally ("Amos isn't good enough we need a new keeper, is AMB ready?") but this gives it more structure and helps longer term planning.

Given that TS is using them for the manager's role I wonder if he is doing it, or perhaps Roddy, Avory, Euell and Gallen and now Adkins will do it for the professional players?  And all the coaches?

And is he doing it for the Valley staff.  Who could replace the COO if they left, for example?
    Quick, get your CV up to date... 
    I do make a mean sandwich : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    He took a side battling relegation and got them safe, in the following season he achieved 13th.
    (If Bowyer does the same I am sure tons of people will be kissing his arse saying what a mistake we made letting him go)

If Adkins had stayed on another season with that kind of progression he'd have likely been competing for the play offs. However he chose to leave, likely a disagreement with the owners. 

His replacement managed 0.97 PPG and was relegated bottom of the league. 

I cannot see how you can say he was a failure in any way at Hull.  

In fairness to Grant McCann, at the end of January Hull were in 13th place when the owner flogged their 2 best players. Indeed on the 1st January they were 8th, 1 point off the playoffs.

That sort of behaviour by the owners entirely justifies why Adkins walked, but I'm not sure he would have done any better than McCann if he had stayed there
  • _MrDick said:
    DA9 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anybody know if Adkins is the first goalkeeper to ever manage us?
    Didn’t Kevin Day manage us for a game or two once upon a time?
    What, the palarse supporting comedian?
    Lol! Keith Day I meant 
    Keith Day - the love child of Keith Peacock and Mervyn Day 
    Oh FFS! Lol
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    He took a side battling relegation and got them safe, in the following season he achieved 13th.
    (If Bowyer does the same I am sure tons of people will be kissing his arse saying what a mistake we made letting him go)

If Adkins had stayed on another season with that kind of progression he'd have likely been competing for the play offs. However he chose to leave, likely a disagreement with the owners. 

His replacement managed 0.97 PPG and was relegated bottom of the league. 

I cannot see how you can say he was a failure in any way at Hull.  

In fairness to Grant McCann, at the end of January Hull were in 13th place when the owner flogged their 2 best players. Indeed on the 1st January they were 8th, 1 point off the playoffs.

That sort of behaviour by the owners entirely justifies why Adkins walked, but I'm not sure he would have done any better than McCann if he had stayed there
    Impossible to argue either way. 

Losing 2 players should not equate to relegation when you're in touching distance of the play offs. Mid table sure, scraping survival sure, but finishing bottom of the league? 
  • I believe it is Harness not Harkness.
  • Can I be the first to say Nigel Addickins!

Taxi for SoundAs.😚😚😚

you called?
  • seth plum said:
    I believe it is Harness not Harkness.
    I've been to Dungeness.

• wmcf123 said:
    Loves a 4-2-3-1, does Adkins, according to some Reading fans.  Style is invariably direct.  
    Pretty sure he had Lambert and Barnard upfront for Southampton... 
  • Vfrf said:
    alicwkd said:
    Exciting times. Nigel should have had his first dump as Charlton manager by now. 
    Probably reading Charlton life!
    If you're not reading Charlton Life are you even really having a dump?
    There’s certainly ‘ a lot of dumping’ going on this thread! :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:

They don’t like it up em captain.
  • Dave Rudd said:

This is a fine idea, Henry ... and one that we should extend to the supporters.

Many of our fans are not getting any younger, and several others have put in 'below par' performances too often for my liking.

If Sandgaard's 'EuroCharlton' dream is to be realised, it's time to 'up our game'.

How about if you and I set up some training schemes?

'Fans101' could cover the basics for the very young and/or the newly-recruited ... right up to 'Platinum Support' (how to react when we lift the Champions League Trophy for the third time)?
    Excellent idea @Dave Rudd

These youngsters need to put the work in if they think they can be part of the New Charlton
  • Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Ormiston_Addick

I simply can't  agree with this...he didn't fail at Hill or Reading . Sheffield United were a mess when he arrived so I will have to look at that.

Give him a chance. It is so depressing given the no sense Bowyer served up in the last 6 months on and off the pitch.
    Sheffield United were in with a shot of the playoffs until a loss to Coventry on the penultimate weekend of the season. Last game loss to Scunthorpe meant they dropped to 11th.
  • Dave Rudd said:

Many of our fans are not getting any younger, and several others have put in 'below par' performances too often for my liking.

If Sandgaard's 'EuroCharlton' dream is to be realised, it's time to 'up our game'.

'Fans101' could cover the basics for the very young and/or the newly-recruited ... right up to 'Platinum Support' (how to react when we lift the Champions League Trophy for the third time)?

These youngsters need to put the work in if they think they can be part of the New Charlton
    It's already going well.

I have been on to Tottenham to see if they can provide someone to cover the 'Sense of Entitlement' module ... while Man City are happy to cover the 'Advanced Arrogance' workshop.

Any more ideas?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

It's already going well.

I have been on to Tottenham to see if they can provide someone to cover the 'Sense of Entitlement' module ... while Man City are happy to cover the 'Advanced Arrogance' workshop.

Any more ideas?
    Well we need to think 'massive', so perhaps lending an olive branch to a Wednesdayite will lift their spirits following their sub-Rotherham finish this year. They can also educate on 'how to get away with anything with minimal punishment'
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

It's already going well.

Any more ideas?
    Sky sports have offered a "you're not in the premier league so we don't know who you are"  toolkit and UEFA have offered a "greed is good guide to reformating European competitions"

Qater aren't answering my call about how to host a major tournament but I'm sure it's just the time zones
  • Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    I believe it is Harness not Harkness.
    I've been to Dungeness.

I’m more or less ...
  • I’m content with Adkins, I hope to see Chuks smile when he scores tomorrow. 

NB I am buying the stream to see my local ground from the inside so Chuks’ goal is likely to be a consolation one, apologies. 
  • I've just watched the TS/NA press conference and what a 'lift' it has given me, after finding out yesterday that I'm going to be made redundant in the next few months as Brexit and Covid have fucked up the Uni I work at. I'm 66 next week with a dodgy ticker and last night I was very down, but NA is so positive it 'pepped' me up.
    I think he definitely is the right man at the right time and exciting times ahead beckon. Welcome Nigel and well done to Thomas/Roddy for what I think will be a great appointment. Keeping JJ is another top hat decision. Now onto Plough Lane and 3 points please, that would help make my weekend better.
    Sorry to hear that RM. Could they not offer you early retirement instead, or would that knock your pension down to much to be viable?
  • 995632 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Loves a 4-2-3-1, does Adkins, according to some Reading fans.  Style is invariably direct.  
    Pretty sure he had Lambert and Barnard upfront for Southampton... 
    And now he's got Stockley & Washo upfront for Charlton. :smile: