Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Must be exhausting to want to be pissed off all the time. 
    Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

Love him to prove me wrong and I will eat the humble pie with relish.
    I think the consensus seems to be that he also did a decent job at Hull in very difficult circumstances. Not sure he’s massively failed anywhere he’s been, has he? As others have said, win percentages can be misleading.
    And since when has being middle aged become a crime? I dream of being middle aged!
  • Croydon said:
    Some people are so broken from previous regimes, that unless Johnny Jackson rode in on horseback, with Chris Powell and Curbs floating above him, they would be pissed off. Then they'd probably still slate lack of ambition, because Pep didn't hold up scarfy, while the club arranged for Pamela Anderson to deliver your season ticket, made of solid gold.

Absolute garbage.

Are people supposed to be automatically over the moon because we have appointed a bloke who has been out the game for two seasons and who last got a team promoted ten seasons back?

Sorry, some of us aren't won over by an affable exterior and a nice smile and would like to know more about the thinking behind this.

According to your flawed logic we should be hailing it as the greatest managerial appointment of all time even if Mr. Sangaard unveiled Alan Mullery as our new manager with Ken Craggs as assistant coach.

Nobody wants to be pissed off all the time but at the same time we have finally got an owner with some serious cash and genuine good intent for the club so expectations were high, not that we'd get a Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe, but that we'd get someone exciting in that was on their way up in the football world.

Adkins had huge success from 2007 to 2012 with Scunthorpe and Saints but has done nothing since then to indicate that he is anything other than just another middle aged football manager looking for his next gig.

We’ll all wait with baited breath 
  • 995632 said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    Nice one mate, great to see you have plenty of time on your hands.

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    I would say keeping Hull up under those circumstances was a great achievement. The win percentage is irrelevant when you look at the situation - he kept them up and then consolidated them. Job done. 
    Ormiston_Addick said:
    Croydon said:

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick

As I said, Adkins did a BRILLIANT job at Southampton, I saw them play a lot and they were fantastic and he was very badly treated there - although it turned out to be the right decision.

However, since then he has failed at three clubs, bombed out after a season and a half at Reading, Sheffield United and Hull with a league winning percentage of 36%, 40% and 33% respectively - compared to 55% At Southampton.

I am sure his eloquence and enthusiasm are very attractive but there is a lot of accumulated football knowledge on this forum and I think only one poster out of hundreds even mentioned Adkins name when Bowyers replacement was discussed.

Adkins left Hull nearly two years ago and in that time there must have been 40-50 sackings from the 90 plus clubs from the Premier League to League Two and yet not one of those clubs looked about and thought that Nigel Adkins was the man for the job - tells you something if you’re bright enough to see it.

I would love to be proved wrong and I am sure Nigel is a top bloke and interviews very well indeed - and he did brilliantly at Scunthorpe and Saints but that was a long, long time ago.

Football moves on and nobody in football gives a shit about Chris Powell winning League One with us back in 2011/12 - incidentally that was the last time Adkins won a promotion too - all they remember now is him failing at Huddersfield and Southend and the same goes for Adkins which is why he has been out of work for two years.

I’d love to get on the happy bus but this appointment feels like a bad move to me.
    HE DIDN'T FAIL AT HULL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    Adkins had a win rate at Hull of 33%, Won 26 Drew 21 Lost 31.

OK, even if you give him credit for keeping them up and accept the club was in big trouble that’s a very average record over nearly two seasons.

If we are appointing him on the back of keeping Hull in the Championship then that’s not inspiring me very much.

Like I said, Nigel has been out the game for two seasons now and his record since leaving Saints is the reason why.

I want him to succeed but this appointment is very much gambling he can bring back his magic of 2010-12 - I don’t much like the odds.
    Kind of certain parallels to our ownership under RD and the ESI according to this article:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-adkins-hull-city-resign-4040649

'Adkins still holds a frustration at how it all ended, that stems from how close an extension came. A sizeable pay cut had been agreed in principle, while another reduced budget was not considered an issue.

The stumbling block was always in the contractual fine print.

“I wanted to stay, the owners knew that,” said Adkins. “I sat there twice with my lawyer and he even said ‘Do you not understand, he wants to stay.’

“The previous summer the buzzword had been sustainability so I knew where we were going. I’d had conversations with Assem and Ehab so I knew what they wanted to do. The top and bottom of it was that they wanted to sell the football club.

“I still wanted to be there so I needed to know how we’d get through the situation.

“Some of the wages had to go, fair enough, but it had nothing to do with wages for me. It was where we were going and what we were trying to achieve.”

First appointed in December 2017 as successor to Leonid Slutsky, Adkins was given the task of stabilising a club taking on water in the lower reaches of the Championship.

Readjusting to life outside of the Premier League had been a struggle and, as Sunderland proved at the end of the season, relegation to League One was a very real threat.

Adkins’ salvage operation took time, with only one win coming in his opening 10 league games, but a run of six victories from the next 12, including the demolition of QPR and Burton, brought survival at a canter.

“Michael Dawson said to me at the end of the season ‘Gaffer, we were relegated but you’ve managed to change it around.’ That was because we had everyone together as one,” said Adkins, whose loan signing of Liverpool winger Harry Wilson made a telling difference.

"When we joined we quickly realised the club was on a downward spiral. There was a lot of fan protests and we knew the atmosphere around the club wasn’t great.

“You’re thinking of ways to turn it around and a few people said you’ve got no chance.

“We had to try. We had good people there that just needed some direction and organisation. We needed to be together and have that belief.

“We just tried to change the culture and the environment for how we wanted to do things. The senior players bought into that. We needed to develop a discipline about the club and we did that.”

It was the summer that followed that first brought signs of irritation from Adkins. A ponderous recruitment drive eventually saw George Long, Jordy de Wijs and Reece Burke all signed – perhaps the three biggest assets left at the KCOM Stadium – but contributed towards a sloppy start.

City were bottom of the league by October 2018 with Adkins under increasing scrutiny, but a remarkable run saw the Tigers propel themselves up to the fringes of the top six inside three months. Six straight league wins came in an unbeaten sequence of 10 games.

“It was an unbelievable run,” said Adkins. “The Leeds game (winning 2-0 at Elland Road) was fantastic. We’d lost two key players in Tommy Elphick (recalled by Aston Villa) and Jackson Irvine (called up by Australia for the Asia Cup), they were flying, the place was packed but we changed things around and it worked a treat. David Marshall didn’t have a save to make.

“After that we beat Bolton 6-0 and then Sheffield Wednesday 3-0. What a performance that was. Fantastic football.”

What would prove to be Adkins’ final transfer window as head coach ultimately failed to deliver enough last January. Although Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki and Markus Henriksen were all retained, Adkins had wanted more than the additions of Marc Pugh and Liam Ridgewell.

“We just needed to bring in a few new faces,” said Adkins. “Without a shadow of doubt, that’s what was needed.

“The owners believed they were helping because they kept Jarrod and Kamil. There was a chance (to reach the top six) so you’ve got to give them credit for that but we needed to bring more in. I said that but it didn’t happen.

“We huffed and puffed after that and we started to lose a few games when we were short on bodies. That’s when it started to tail off. We couldn’t quite get there.”
    That's all fine and dandy but if we are appointing a bloke based on him keeping a Hull City team in the Championship then that's hardly a ringing endorsement for someone we want to take us up from League One.

• Thanks @ForeverAddickted. Yeah, I appreciate it's just conjecture, but you'd think they'd make a bit more of an effort to provide a bit more context for the uninitiated. That said, defensive midfielder might be useful depending on how old he is :) , and we definitely need another centre back, but I suppose the question is whether they'd be an improvement on what we've already got.
  • Has anyone established who Nigel is referring to when he says 'we'?

The Royal we perhaps ?
  • edited March 2021
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

This one wasn't aimed at you mate. I disagree with you, but I don't think you're being negative for negative's sake.

Just think there is plenty of that in the fanbase atm, on here, twitter and the FB groups. It's a Ged Ruddy inside job, or because Sandgaard mentioned the academy it means he's broke etc. There's just negative theories being thrown out with zero basis, because people have had all the optimism beaten out of them.

I am curious though, who did you want us to appoint? And what were your reasons?
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    Not particularly informative that piece. What positions do they play (apart from the keeper obviously), how good are they, is there likely to be competition to sign them?
    Irvine: Winger
    Burke: Centre-Back
    Toral: Defensive Midfielder
    Obita: Left-Back

Entirely guess work and mostly crap from that website so wouldnt pay too much attention
    I think you might have Irvine and Toral the wrong way round. Fairly sure Irvine plays CM and Toral out wide.
  • Adkins mentions that Thomas and Roddy approached him.  

Where does Gallen fit in the structure as DOF, is he just player recruitment? And where does technical director fit in the system... so confused as to who does what and who reports into who. 
  • edited March 2021
    Bit surprised we weren’t in for Pep being completely honest.
    He was interviewed I’m told
  • T said:
    Adkins mentions that Thomas and Roddy approached him.  

Where does Gallen fit in the structure as DOF, is he just player recruitment? And where does technical director fit in the system... so confused as to who does what and who reports into who. 
    Think Gallen is player recruitment and contracts etc. 

Roddy oversees the running of the club, eyes and ears for TS. From the CAFC interview for his appointment, "his primary focus will be planning and implementing the club’s long-term footballing strategy with the initial aim of helping the club stabilise and ultimately getting the club back to the Premier League." 
    Think he helps implement the planning strategically, he sorted the overhaul of the medical department and think he is trying to help with gaining the Cat 1 status of the academy.

And obviously he is Adkins best bud from their time together at Reading... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • I can’t find it now but I saw a quote earlier from Adkins about letting the youngsters play regularly and accept they will make mistakes. I’m almost certain this was a subtle dig towards Bowyer about Morgan and I’m quite pleased. The boy needs to play regularly 
  • Wish him well - very surprised - and if I am honest underwhelmed -  but  he may find that key - as we have the team to get out of the League just no consistency - he has my support - hopefully see him opening game of the season in the championship - good luck 
  • T said:
    Adkins mentions that Thomas and Roddy approached him.  

Head of recruitment .....TS said that Roddy and Gallen would be dealing with applicants 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the important thing is that we don't judge him on our next result, or indeed the rest of this season. Things will change, and change takes time. If we struggle into the playoffs this year then great, but if not he gets a real transfer window to adjust (something which Bowyer never had). I think it may take Adkins the full 2.5 year tenure for us to see the full fruit of his labour's. It's no magic show with instant results. 
        Absolutely Correct and only an idiot would not
       Agree ......    
  • JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

I think the consensus seems to be that he also did a decent job at Hull in very difficult circumstances. Not sure he’s massively failed anywhere he’s been, has he? As others have said, win percentages can be misleading.
    And since when has being middle aged become a crime? I dream of being middle aged!
    Me too, @JamesSeed ..that's for sure.
  • Croydon said:

Absolute garbage.

So what would your suggestions for Manager have been given your criteria of having to be exciting and on their way up in the football world?
  • Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Ormiston_Addick

Read what was said about his sacking at Southampton and he refused a new contract at Hull. He was doing okay at Reading. 18 months is not that long so I doubt he has forgotten what the game is about. 
        As always there are people on this forum 
        Who are nice people I am certain and are entitled   
        To their opinions.
         But that does not mean they are right all the time
        And many talk utter Bollocks.
        I hope Nigel does a good job, I wish him well and
        I will not slag him off after 5 games if we have not
        Won every game.
        Bowyer was a great guy and I think he will do well
        At Birmingham if he is let do this thing.
        He left us because of money and better financial   
        Possibilities and opportunity in his eyes.
        If you want Loyalty to Charlton JJ at number two
        Is the man and I think Nigel and Johnnie will do a 
        Good job If given time and patience 👍👍

• Appointing any manager is a gamble @Ormiston_Addick give it a rest now
  • 1968CAFC said:

Ormiston_Addick

Read what was said about his sacking at Southampton and he refused a new contract at Hull. He was doing okay at Reading. 18 months is not that long so I doubt he has forgotten what the game is about. 
        As always there are people on this forum 
        Who are nice people I am certain and are entitled   
        To their opinions.
         But that does not mean they are right all the time
        And many talk utter Bollocks.
        I hope Nigel does a good job, I wish him well and
        I will not slag him off after 5 games if we have not
        Won every game.
        Bowyer was a great guy and I think he will do well
        At Birmingham if he is let do this thing.
        He left us because of money and better financial   
        Possibilities and opportunity in his eyes.
        If you want Loyalty to Charlton JJ at number two
        Is the man and I think Nigel and Johnnie will do a 
        Good job If given time and patience 👍👍

That's a crap poem mate, it don't even rhyme.

You telling me we have poets on here 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I think the important thing is that we don't judge him on our next result, or indeed the rest of this season. Things will change, and change takes time. If we struggle into the playoffs this year then great, but if not he gets a real transfer window to adjust (something which Bowyer never had). I think it may take Adkins the full 2.5 year tenure for us to see the full fruit of his labour's. It's no magic show with instant results. 
        Absolutely Correct and only an idiot would not
       Agree ......    
  • Ormiston is having a mare tonight isn't he  :joy: