Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Hopefully Innis will be fit to play if Sunderland love to cross it in. That will be a decent battle for him for sure. 
    We need to combat Wyke's aerial threat, but also nullify McGeady and stop him crossing or having unnecessary dead ball situations
  • Quotes from the reliable Benjy Nurick

Some quotes from Nigel Adkins' presser this afternoon coming up
    : Team News: Conor Washington “won’t make the squad” but he’s “progressing nicely.” Looks like he'll be the only one out. Akin Famewo has trained all week with the team and should be good to go. #cafc

Ryan Inniss has trained really well all week, he’ll “be in the hat for selection at the weekend” #cafc

On the last week of training
    : "It’s been a good week. We were able to get on the grass, in the classroom, with Johnnie Jackson and Jason Euell, myself, and Josh Hornby. Just all being together, helping the players, applying more of the principles of play we’ve been after. #cafc

"It’s been good. I went up to watch Peterborough vs Sunderland on Monday. Lee Johnson is an experienced manager, they have experienced players and it will be a really challenging game for us. We have to make sure it’s a challenging game for them as well." #cafc

"Both sides ideally don’t want to get a 0-0 draw, both sides will be looking to win because it’s that stage of the season now." #cafc

Adkins is not interested in playing for a 0-0 at Sunderland: "From our research, they cross the ball more than anyone else in the division, score more headed goals than anyone else in the division. They’re a very talented team and it’s put them third in the division. #cafc

"We have to make sure we go out and impose ourselves on the game. But it will be challenging. Out of possession we’ve got to be good, but likewise we have to think about what we can when we have the ball to present some problems to Sunderland. #cafc

Adkins says he, Johnnie Jackson, and Jason Euell are “really working well together”. #cafc

Adkins on using Ian Maatsen at right wing: "Ian did great, scored a goal. It just shows what a talented football player he is. He gave us that little bit more pace on the wing with Liam Millar being away on international duty." #cafc

I asked Adkins about Alex Gilbey's return: "Alex was a very good player, especially when he was at MK Dons, I think he got player of the year two years running. You can see his athleticism, you can see his opportunity to go break forward and score goals. #cafc

"You can see the ability he’s got, it’s now trying to put that on the pitch and help him bring the best of him and help him help the team." #cafc

"I think you can look at the table in itself - how many teams still have an opportunity to get into the playoffs. That makes it really exciting and I’m just pleased we’re still one of them teams in the race." #cafc

On the strength of League One this time around: "I think from afar watching the games on the tele, you look at the teams in League One, a lot of teams who have been in the Premier League before, a lot of teams who have been in the Championship before. #cafc

"There’s a lot of well-supported football clubs believing they are better than this division. However, we’re in this division and we just have to play where we are at this moment in time. It’s strong. #cafc

Asked Adkins about his plans with the academy players. He confirmed that some have already been training with the first-team. More below... #cafc

"It’s only been a couple of weeks, but I’ve been to watch the U23s play a couple of games. I’ve watched them in training, I’ve watched the U18s in training. And yes, we have actually had a couple of the U23s and U18s join us in training. #cafc

"So we’re lucky we’re on the same training site so I can be looking at the players. I’ve had good conversations with Steve Avory, he knows I’m going to be a big supporter of the academy. For me, it’s about getting to know everybody. #cafc

"I had a good conversation this morning with Anthony (Hayes), U18s coach, I watched a bit of training. I will be there to watch the U23s on Monday - I want to make sure there’s a pathway for the players, for the coaches to come through the system. #cafc

"We are all one football club and I just want the best for everyone really." #cafc

Adkins declined to say which academy players have joined in with training. Sounds like he wants to give many the opportunity. Says he wants young players to be able to join in with first-team training then go back to youth football - “a fluid motion and a plan for them”. #cafc

Finally, I asked Adkins about the importance of mental health in football after the devastating news of Lee Collins' death. Adkins' motto: "Walking is brilliant and talking is brilliant." A really important message... #cafc

"I think it’s very important, not just in football, but in life. We’ve all gone through this really challenging period with covid and a lot of people have been locked up. Listen; walking’s brilliant, talking’s brilliant. It is. You need to be able to talk to somebody. #cafc

"Obviously in my position here, I do a lot of talking anyway. The players know my door is always open in confidence - because I think that’s important. But just being able to have your teammate and talk. In days gone by go and have a beer together and talk. #cafc

"It’s been a big challenge for everybody but talking is brilliant. And we all have a responsibility to look after each other and keep an eye on each other. The more we can talk to each other the more we can be comfortable to go and express our feelings. #cafc

"And I think that’s a big important message. All of us - try to look after our teammates, humanity, our community. This is our community, how can we look after each other? And as I said, walking is brilliant and talking is brilliant." #cafc
    You can imagine what Bowyer would have said. 

“We’ve not watched Sunderland since the play off final so fully expect Jack Ross will line up with the same team. However we do know what a good player Mcgeedy is so will probably play 3 right backs to stop him. Yeah I think I’ll probably play 3 that haven’t played there before. If it doesn’t work I’ll make 5 substitutions at half time” 
  • Sponsored links:

• Certainly seems Nigel commands a lot of love and respect within the game. 
    Yeah unless Dean Windass was coaching when Adkins was at Hull, they've never crossed paths in their careers at any clubs for example
  • I had no idea about Dean's struggle with mental illness. Shocked to read that he tried to kill himself ( I think it was fairly recent?) Him and others speaking about it can only help.
  • Just get Dean to turn his telly off when he does the next message .
    Good stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Nigel adkins lalala
    Nigel Adkins la la la 
  • clive said:
    Steadycam for a portrait cameraphone - what's going on Nige? 

Seriously, good vid though!
  • Love that word "collaboration"
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Proper manager: 

“There is a lot of detail going in on the training ground and in the classroom. The players are taking it on board. All of us are working together as a team.

“We’ve got Jason Euell with the first team now. We’ve got the medical team and sports science team. They’ve all got a valuable role to play and my job as manager is to make sure they bring that collaboration needed to bring it all together.”

Agree Dazzler,... Proper Job (Old Cornish Term)

Great to hear these positives from Nige, and so refreshing to hear the terms, "medical and sports science team"
    another Thomas input no doubt, so let's just keep it up on the field of play.