Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East Stand to be renamed after Sir Alan Curbishley

Comments

• Options
    If Adkins brings us huge success, we could rename the Covered End...
    ...Nigels Stand.

No need for an apostrophe.
  • Options
    Brilliant news, totally deserved, very happy about this. 
  • Options
    Curbs is my biggest hero in football. So glad he's being honoured by the club in this way. Totally deserved.
  • Options
    Fabulous news and a nice touch from TS. 
  • Options
    I always have mixed feelings about this sort of thing - Hopefully Charlton will be around for many hundreds of years yet to come

Yet what if four Managers in that time dwarf the achievements of Curbishley and Seed etc.

Should they take their respective stand names, as the only advantage Curbs and Seed have is they came before them
    We’re junk 
    our good times won’t dwarf them so won’t be a problem 

if someone does the double over the scum then rename the ground after that unicorn manager .

seriously though , he is a top man

and Lennie is without doubt a Charlton god who consistently produced major miracles but he was only there a short time and left us for Middlesbrough where he made a low-ball bid for Robert Lee knowing how desperate we were to raise cash for our return to The Valley and that rankles with me .
    also he barely mentions his time with us in his autobiography. I guess he has to mention us today as he's there. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Well this is awkward. 
    @eaststandmike will have to get creative with a new name too!
    Now you have become historical, go back further into history @eastterracemike
  • Options
    That is a great gesture and well deserved.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great news and a wonderful gesture that is well deserved. This new Thomas ownership just keeps on improving, this club is going places that's for sure!!
  • Options
    Support
  • Options
    haha wtf?? 
  • Options
    There are only four stands and consequently this is a great honour. It is also a richly deserved one.
  • Options
    Definitely need a Lennie Lawrence bar or something. God knows he deserves it.
    The Lennie Lawrence Covered End

Without Robin Michael there is no Llewelyn Charles ....

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I always have mixed feelings about this sort of thing - Hopefully Charlton will be around for many hundreds of years yet to come

Yet what if four Managers in that time dwarf the achievements of Curbishley and Seed etc.

Should they take their respective stand names, as the only advantage Curbs and Seed have is they came before them
    We’re junk 

if someone does the double over the scum then rename the ground after that unicorn manager .

and Lennie is without doubt a Charlton god who consistently produced major miracles but he was only there a short time and left us for Middlesbrough where he made a low-ball bid for Robert Lee knowing how desperate we were to raise cash for our return to The Valley and that rankles with me .
    I'm not sure 9 years is exactly a short time
  • Options
    ....compared to Curbs longevity 
  • Options
    Well deserved recognition and couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Last CAFC manager to do so - A. Curbishley, the PL years were easy compared to that.  It’s the equivalent of Fergies 1999 treble being done every year for a decade. 
  • Options

We’re junk 

Just a thought.....yes the Rob Lee low-ball bid was a bit cheeky but is that all Boro were prepared to pay?
    It was interesting that they didn’t come back with an improved offer.
    Also, as we needed the money at the time, maybe Lennie thought he was doing us a favour?
  • Options
    Lennie left us in the league where he found us resigning to go to Middlesbrough (a bit like Bowyer )

Curbs left us in a higher division and not to go to another job .

Lennie keeping us in the top flight for 4 seasons, with no money, and pitiful crowds at Selhurst  was as big an achievement as anything Curbs achieved
  • Options
    Lennie left us in the league where he found us resigning to go to Middlesbrough (a bit like Bowyer )

Curbs left us in a higher division and not to go to another job .

Lennie keeping us in the top flight for 4 seasons, with no money, and pitiful crowds at Selhurst  was as big an achievement as anything Curbs achieved
    A massive achievement deserving of recognition but not on a par with Curbs IMO. 
    It's hard to directly compare their achievements, as the clubs were in a very different position. We could easily have folded completely if we hadn't stayed up in 1987. 
  • Options

We’re junk 

Just a thought.....yes the Rob Lee low-ball bid was a bit cheeky but is that all Boro were prepared to pay?
    It was interesting that they didn’t come back with an improved offer.
    Also, as we needed the money at the time, maybe Lennie thought he was doing us a favour?
    I think they came back further on with better bids but by this time Newcastle were in the equation and Boro had missed the boat .
    Lennie even admitted he fucked up not going in higher and getting him earlier on when he had a chance .
  • Options
    Lennie asking where his stand is on Valley Pass.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Lennie asking where his stand is on Valley Pass.
    Give him one of the Quadrants...call it 

Lennie Lawrence Corner